PDA

View Full Version : CONGRATS: Celina wins its 8th State Championship, 21-14 over China Spring

charlesrixey
12-22-2007, 09:38 PM
what a great game

Tx Challenge
12-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Congrats Celina. Great game!!!!

Snydertigersrul
12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Congratulations Bobcats and Coach Ford on a great game. They beat a good team in China Spring.

OldNavy
12-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Way to go Celina. CS was all that and I think that quarterback is back again next year, unless he opts for the pros, giving up his senior season of eligability.

However, I've been impressed with Celina's quarterback too. he had a great night throwing and running in clutch situations and it just reinforces to me the kind of clutch player he is. He quarterbacked this team to the state 7 on 7 championship this year as well. I am not sure he always gets the credit due, but he had a great game tonight as did the whole Celina TEAM.

Getting the stops on CS was no easy feat. It looked like putting D'Anton Lynn on Hicks in the 2nd half had an effect. I am not sure he caught but 2 balls in the 2nd half. CS quarterback made great plays but was under pressure on many of those plays. Troy McCartney made at least 3 do or die plays, and Charlie Waldrip, ever dependable kept advancing the football up the field behind consistent steady blocking by the Celina line.

The D holding after the turnover on Celina's first series was a great hold, and kept the momentum from turning largely in CS's favor.

Holding CS's offense to just 14 with the personnel they have is a tremendous accomplishment.

My hat's off to China Spring, and if memory serves me, Celina and China Spring are now even in games won and points scored against one another. Can't wait until the "rubber match."

charlesrixey
12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by OldNavy
Way to go Celina. CS was all that and I think that quarterback is back again next year, unless he opts for the pros, giving up his senior season of eligability.

However, I've been impressed with Celina's quarterback too. he had a great night throwing and running in clutch situations and it just reinforces to me the kind of clutch player he is. He quarterbacked this team to the state 7 on 7 championship this year as well. I am not sure he always gets the credit due, but he had a great game tonight as did the whole Celina TEAM.

Getting the stops on CS was no easy feat. It looked like putting D'Anton Lynn on Hicks in the 2nd half had an effect. I am not sure he caught but 2 balls in the 2nd half. CS quarterback made great plays but was under pressure on many of those plays. Troy McCartney made at least 3 do or die plays, and Charlie Waldrip, ever dependable kept advancing the football up the field behind consistent steady blocking by the Celina line.

The D holding after the turnover on Celina's first series was a great hold, and kept the momentum from turning largely in CS's favor.

Holding CS's offense to just 14 with the personnel they have is a tremendous accomplishment.

My hat's off to China Spring, and if memory serves me, Celina and China Spring are now even in games won and points scored against one another. Can't wait until the "rubber match."

totally agree, ON!

DUKE22
12-22-2007, 11:26 PM
Congrats to Celina, they deserve it and they deserve the respect that they get. I watched the Snyder film and it is amazing how well they execute everything. They never take plays off, everything from their extra points to a key third and five are executed with the same intensity, and precision. They are a class program and Celina folks should be proud.

BILLYFRED0000
12-22-2007, 11:30 PM
I should point out that D'anton played most of the game with one hand. He hurt his shoulder on the first play of the game.
He played a heck of a game with one hand tied behind his back. But it did put a crimp in our offense since there were several pass plays designed for him that got tossed out the playbook.

Old Tiger
12-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I should point out that D'anton played most of the game with one hand. He hurt his shoulder on the first play of the game.
He played a heck of a game with one hand tied behind his back. But it did put a crimp in our offense sense there were several pass plays designed for him that got tossed out the playbook. Billy, don't make excuses after a close win. It makes you look pathetic. Injuries are part of the game. No offense or anything.

CelinaCatFan
12-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Actually he played the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters with a torn rotator cuff. This says a lot about this young man's toughness. Congrats bobcats!

BILLYFRED0000
12-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Billy, don't make excuses after a close win. It makes you look pathetic. Injuries are part of the game. No offense or anything.

A fact is not an excuse.

OldNavy
12-23-2007, 12:03 AM
:)

OldNavy
12-23-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by DUKE22
Congrats to Celina, they deserve it and they deserve the respect that they get. I watched the Snyder film and it is amazing how well they execute everything. They never take plays off, everything from their extra points to a key third and five are executed with the same intensity, and precision. They are a class program and Celina folks should be proud.

Great observation. Celina has a 5 ft 4 inch defensive end. But he has a heart the size of a basketball. He will not quit on a play. He makes plays he should not be abe to make and it is due to 100% effort every play. But, this year, there was a team of young men that put out that kind of effort play after play.

The Celina D was great again this year, but I think the O had a lot to do with that. The O, especially in the playoffs were just so efficient that they kept the other teams offense off the field for long periods of time. The Snyder game and the China Sprng game are cases in point. I think Celina O had the ball nearly 30 minutes of each contest. You can credit the great D for Celina this year, but the O gets some of the credit in my mind.

Celina is still a small school in 3A turning in only 479 for the next alignment, but the program and coaches keep putting out well oiled teams. Celina loses a very well balanced offensive line and a championship quarterback, an all state defensive tackle and defensive end, but they will have all 3 running backs, two thirds of the defensive backfield and one of the best middle linebackers I've seen and he will only be a junior next year. I would credit the improvement in the line play with the high level of success this year. They improved week after week and finished a great season.

Too bad it is over already. Too bad some great teams did not win championships this year and too bad we still have to play what if at the end of the season as there remains 2 unbeaten teams in 3A.

RMAC
12-23-2007, 12:07 AM
A fact is not an excuse.

He's just mad because RIII didn't win like he swore they would.

TexanFan4Life
12-23-2007, 12:15 AM
He played a heck of a game with one hand tied behind his back. But it did put a crimp in our offense since there were several pass plays designed for him that got tossed out the playbook.

WOW! Your team won and you're making excuses as to why they didn't win by a bigger margin. I'm sorry you couldn't get the 55-13 blowout you were hoping for.

BobcatBenny
12-23-2007, 12:21 AM
My heart was in my throat!

I thought China Spring had us with about 3:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

But those Bobcats Finished it!

That one play by McCartney just keeps replaying in my head. What an athlete!

Congratulations on the Championship Bobcats!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: (eight)

Bobcat_Mom
12-23-2007, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Billy, don't make excuses after a close win. It makes you look pathetic. Injuries are part of the game. No offense or anything.

I will have to agree a bit here, he was hurt, they should not have put him back in. He couldn't tackle. I felt bad for him and the team.

lynx_rufus
12-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Congratulations Bobcats!

What an exciting game. You kids played your guts out this season. Nice finish! :clap:

16-0 in 2007, 15-1 in 2006. That is quite a way to step up into 3A.

Undefeated Champions. Sounds nice doesn't it? You earned it!

Bobcat_Mom
12-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
WOW! Your team won and you're making excuses as to why they didn't win by a bigger margin. I'm sorry you couldn't get the 55-13 blowout you were hoping for.

That's not it at all, the fact is he should not have been playing, he wasn't moving his arm at all. That hurt the team and it hurt him! We're not about blow outs!

CelinaProud
12-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life

See, this is what I don't understand..., we're called the arrogant, defensive ones and then posts like this appear and people wonder why we quit posting before the game this week...

C'mon, Texan, Billy was just passing along info on a player that went above and beyond. Lynn was quite a stud for staying in and it goes to Lynn's determination and character and that's all I think Billy meant by his post. However, I could be wrong, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am, and possibly, if I'm not. Billy was impressed by the boy's fortitude, that's all. Everyone was impressed and thankful tonight.

The truth is, just as the LH game last year was, this game was close, and CS rocked us hard. I could not believe the way their defense held us and their offense is awesome! However, when the clock ran out, we were leading, and we won, by a single touchdown and extra point. A win we are ALL so thankful for and in awe of! Especially my son!

HOW AMAZING TO WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

I mean what a testament to both team's preparation and effort in a game as close as this one! I think instead of taking the posts to some place negative we should try and applaud all the hard work these coaches gave this year, and the drive that these teenage boys poured into this wonderful game. And not just on the Celina side, but on the China Spring side, and the LH side, the Gilmer side, the Snyder side, and on and on it goes. There aint a group of football players out there that wanted to lose and these boys and their wonderful coaches showed us all something powerful this season!

WAY TO GO BOBCATS & COUGARS! I was fortunate to witness the amazing power both teams displayed! I look forward to next season, and a kinder-gentler exchange over the next few days :)

Bobcat_Mom
12-23-2007, 12:35 AM
OH WHAT A GAME! I DIDN'T SIT DURING THE ENTIRE THING EXCEPT DURING HALFTIME.

WAY TO GO CATS! YOU FINISHED STRONG AND PLAYED TOUGH UNTIL THE END!

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!

WAY TO GO!

lynx_rufus
12-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Pictures of the Game from the Dallas Morning News (http://www.hsgametime.com/sharedcontent/dws/pt/slideshows/2007/12/122207celina/)

Bobcat_Mom
12-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by CelinaProud
See, this is what I don't understand..., we're called the arrogant, defensive ones and then posts like this appear and people wonder why we quit posting before the game this week...

C'mon, Texan, Billy was just passing along info on a player that went above and beyond. Lynn was quite a stud for staying in and it goes to Lynn's determination and character and that's all I think Billy meant by his post. However, I could be wrong, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am, and possibly, if I'm not. Billy was impressed by the boy's fortitude, that's all. Everyone was impressed and thankful tonight.

The truth is, just as the LH game last year was, this game was close, and CS rocked us hard. I could not believe the way their defense held us and their offense is awesome! However, when the clock ran out, we were leading, and we won, by a single touchdown and extra point. A win we are ALL so thankful for and in awe of! Especially my son!

HOW AMAZING TO WIN A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

I mean what a testament to both team's preparation and effort in a game as close as this one! I think instead of taking the posts to some place negative we should try and applaud all the hard work these coaches gave this year, and the drive that these teenage boys poured into this wonderful game. And not just on the Celina side, but on the China Spring side, and the LH side, the Gilmer side, the Snyder side, and on and on it goes. There aint a group of football players out there that wanted to lose and these boys and their wonderful coaches showed us all something powerful this season!

WAY TO GO BOBCATS & COUGARS! I was fortunate to witness the amazing power both teams displayed! I look forward to next season, and a kinder-gentler exchange over the next few days :)
This is the point I was trying to make earlier this week. No matter what we say, we're in the wrong.

So....

Celina's the State Champion for the 8th record time.

Congrats Bobcats, we're so proud of you.

Way to FINISH IT!

bigdaddy
12-23-2007, 01:21 AM
Seth Davis the Celina starting qb sturggled some with some easy throws, held on to the ball a little too long but the Coaching staff on 4th and 9 made some really gutsy calls to keep the drive alive and turn it in for a score and keep the ball away from CS while the clock was ticking. Troy McCartney has ALWAYS played everything with so much effort since he was just a young kiddo and that really showed tonight on his Romo Type scrammble when he was shut down , then again, and again yet kept fighting and scrambling for I think the play that turned the game in Celina's direction. Way to go Troy and what an effort by a really solid CHINA SPRING team which showed tonight why they deserved to be there.
A few Coaching calls from Celina and McCartney's scrammble were the difference in the game.
Celina and China Springs for a rematch next year could be really possible.

CelinaTurf
12-23-2007, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by CelinaProud
I look forward to next season, and a kinder-gentler exchange over the next few days :)

Great POST!

If I live that long, I'm looking forward to state championship #9! GOOD JOB CATS!

75009Football
12-23-2007, 01:46 AM
WHAT A GAME!!! Best game Celina has been given, or had to play, in a long time (a year). That CS offense is something else. Moved the ball on Celina better than anybody else all year. QB only had a few not-perfect passes. And that D, better than what anyone was expecting. Both D's really made each offense work hard. Congratulations to each team and their accomplishments this year. CS, you have nothing to hang your heads about and everything to look forward to next year. Make this an annual event.

alaskacat
12-23-2007, 02:23 AM
Well I just got back and have been mulling this for the past 3 hours or so.

CS Kudo's guys, the game could have gone a different way had a couple of balls not been dropped, and an interception not occurred..but thats the way it goes sometimes. You guys played your butts off. To bad there cant be two winners, so don't hold your head down none.

Just come back and get after it again next year.

Whats the condition of your injured player? I really feel bad for him and hope he is well and not hurt to bad.

CAts, my my my is all I can say. Bent but not broken seemed to be the call of the day, but it almost gave me a heart attack:)

Congratulations!

Now, where is that purple cat so we can Finish (the rest of) It:)

sinton66
12-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Congrats to the Bobcats. 8 titles should tell a lot.

emileq
12-23-2007, 10:38 AM
Congratulations Celina! Sounds like it was a great game by both teams. I wish I could have been there.

There are now two great championship teams in 3A and a number of others that played their hearts out. To all, I say job well done and have a great holiday season.

gobbler grad
12-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Congrats Celina on a great year...:clap: :clap:

alaskacat
12-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Its been a long time since 69
High School ,college and wasted time.

With fans 10 deep on the 50 yard line

We won a game and that was great
Set the record and made it eight

But next Year....we'll just make it NINE!

(Eight month of depression to follow till zero week)
:( :(

Runnin Panther
12-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Congratulations Celina, hope you guys enjoy of minute of it, you earned it.

tigerpride_08
12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
congrats Celina...:clap:

trojan37
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Nothing against China, but they won't be playing for a state title next year. The qb Eskew does in fact graduate this year, completing a record run for the Cougars. Their receiver Mike Hicks does return, he is only a junior and played varsity since his freshman year, I believe the 2nd Cougar in China Spring history to do so. The qb position is where they will suffer. Shawn Bell's little brother, only a sophomore will move into the starting role, and he has had virtually NO playing time. Eskew's shoes will be hard to fill, and also being known as "Shawn Bell's little brother" is going to bring high expections alone. This is, however, the second year in a row that 17-3A has been represented in a title game, as Robinson lost last year to Liberty-Elau in the DI final.

charlesrixey
12-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Nothing against China, but they won't be playing for a state title next year. The qb Eskew does in fact graduate this year, completing a record run for the Cougars. Their receiver Mike Hicks does return, he is only a junior and played varsity since his freshman year, I believe the 2nd Cougar in China Spring history to do so. The qb position is where they will suffer. Shawn Bell's little brother, only a sophomore will move into the starting role, and he has had virtually NO playing time. Eskew's shoes will be hard to fill, and also being known as "Shawn Bell's little brother" is going to bring high expections alone. This is, however, the second year in a row that 17-3A has been represented in a title game, as Robinson lost last year to Liberty-Elau in the DI final.

it's also the second year in a row 17-3A had two teams play VERY well in the finals

not bad to have 2 title game appearances in a single re-alignment for a district

Leopards,class of 75
12-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Congrats to the Bobcats! 8 state titles is really something special to any team in any sport. I think they have been in 3 /A for only two years and reached the Championship both times. Really an awesome football town!!!!!

Bobcat_Mom
12-24-2007, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
Congrats to the Bobcats! 8 state titles is really something special to any team in any sport. I think they have been in 3 /A for only two years and reached the Championship both times. Really an awesome football town!!!!!

YEAHHHHH BABYYYY! WEWWWW HEWWW!

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE BOYS, ALL THEIR HARD WORD PAID OFF. IT WAS A TOUGH TOUGH GAME AND I'M SO GLAD IT TURNED OUT THE WAY IT DID. I FEEL FOR THE TWO INJURED BOYS!

I'M SO HAPPY THE CATS WON ONE MORE TIME FOR DOC!!!!

LH Panther Mom
12-24-2007, 10:04 AM
To the Bobcat players and coaching staff, I offer my congratulations on being the 3A Division II State Champs for 2007. :clap:

Balcones fault
12-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Bobcat_Mom
YEAHHHHH BABYYYY! WEWWWW HEWWW!

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THE BOYS, ALL THEIR HARD WORD PAID OFF. IT WAS A TOUGH TOUGH GAME AND I'M SO GLAD IT TURNED OUT THE WAY IT DID. I FEEL FOR THE TWO INJURED BOYS!

I'M SO HAPPY THE CATS WON ONE MORE TIME FOR DOC!!!!

What she said. :)

Totally missed the game and was away from TV, internet, etc., so missed the game. Only a text message gave us the final score. Celina continues with a successful closing, and snags another state record. Its been another excellent season of 3A ball.

charlesrixey
12-24-2007, 06:01 PM
the worst part is the wait until next season

:(

Daddy D 11
12-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
the worst part is the wait until next season

:(

especially when there is so much to look foward to like celina and liberty hill both have. winning seasons are sweeter, but they make the off season that much harder:(

charlesrixey
12-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
especially when there is so much to look foward to like celina and liberty hill both have. winning seasons are sweeter, but they make the off season that much harder:(

welcome to our nightmare!

trojan37
12-24-2007, 10:18 PM
it's also the second year in a row 17-3A had two teams play VERY well in the finals

not bad to have 2 title game appearances in a single re-alignment for a district

I'm missing something here. Explain to me what you mean about a single realignment. These teams have butted heads for years. They are always in the same district, and come realignment this year a team might be added and some taken away, but Robinson, China, LV will always be together. On another topic, this is another good district to watch for baseball. 3 former state champs in baseball came out of this district in the form of China Spring, Lorena, and old 17-3A member West.

block&tackle
12-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I'm missing something here. Explain to me what you mean about a single realignment. These teams have butted heads for years. They are always in the same district, and come realignment this year a team might be added and some taken away, but Robinson, China, LV will always be together. On another topic, this is another good district to watch for baseball. 3 former state champs in baseball came out of this district in the form of China Spring, Lorena, and old 17-3A member West.
"A single reallignment" would refer to the two years under a given reallignment - for example 06-07, 08-09, 04-05.

K-MAC Chuck
12-26-2007, 12:59 AM
congrats to Celina - they made it back to the state championship game and won this year after falling last year, that says a LOT about the character of the team and its coaching staff!

Congrats to China Spring - a great season and one to be proud of.

Merry Christmas to all!

SpeedOption
12-26-2007, 10:20 AM
welcome to our nightmare!

Hey Rix do you go to any games up there? And how would you compare it to here in Texas? Your insight would be great.

buff4ever
12-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Congrats to China Springs on a well played game, way to represent Region 3!

Oh Yeah, congrats to celina too!:D

88bobcats
12-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
Hey Rix do you go to any games up there? And how would you compare it to here in Texas? Your insight would be great.

Good question. My cousin goes to Sherando, who lost to Amherst in one of the Virginia state championship games. My uncle says the spread offense has really taken over up there.

How does Virginia high school football compare to that in Texas? Everyone's always comparing football in Florida, California, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Texas. What's your thoughts, Rixey?

charlesrixey
12-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by 88bobcats
Good question. My cousin goes to Sherando, who lost to Amherst in one of the Virginia state championship games. My uncle says the spread offense has really taken over up there.

How does Virginia high school football compare to that in Texas? Everyone's always comparing football in Florida, California, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Texas. What's your thoughts, Rixey?

well, i've only been here a couple of months (haven't seen any games yet) but VAmike has seen many and would be the better person to ask (plus, he has been a ref for a while)

i have started to follow it, since two teams from the county i live in played for state titles this year, but i am still getting settled in

i will probably go to a couple next season (plus hopefully a couple down there)

what i can say already is there is obviously not as many teams per class