PDA

View Full Version : What is up with all of these ineligible football players?

Sweetwater Red
12-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I turn it to ESPN and the scroll bar lists ten players from
a school that are academically ineligible to play in their bowl game. It's
happened everyday this week. Here's a link to the latest
school.

For the record this NEVER happens at the University of Michigan.:thinking: :D :devil:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/news/story?id=3165186

pirate4state
12-21-2007, 05:22 PM
Where? :p

wyliegrad04
12-21-2007, 05:26 PM
well I would guess grades. If they are on probation or suspension or anything from school, they would be ineligible.

grades are all finalized by now so they are just finding out they wont be playing ...

Sweetwater Red
12-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Where? :p

:mad:

:D

zebrablue2
12-21-2007, 06:11 PM
these kids need to figure it out. hard work in the classroom goes with the program. hope they keep the pressure on these kids.

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
these kids need to figure it out. hard work in the classroom goes with the program. hope they keep the pressure on these kids.

I know a few college football players that worked hard in the classroom and ALOT that don't.

Panther One
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
This is the result of the NCAA Clearinghouse changing the entrance requirements making it easier for athletes to qualify, yet at the same time, increasing the continuing eligibility requirements. Over the past several years, colleges have been able to bring in guys that previously would not have qualified and now these same student-athletes are held to continuing eligibility standards that are higher than previous years. Not only that, but the NCAA now penalizes schools whose players do not maintain elgibility (APR), essentially placing the onus on the individual schools to recruit athletes that aren't academic risks. But as we all know, with the money and emphasis on winning in college football and basketball, coaches will bring in whoever they can bring in and worry about keeping them eligible later.

One day the NCAA will get a clue and take a little initiative upon themselves to improve the academic situation in college athletics. College is not for everyone. It shouldn't matter if you're a stud athlete or not. The NCAA needs to raise the initial eligibility requirements and then there wouldn't be as big of an issue of athletes maintaining eligibility or graduating. Maybe the NFL and NBA should just create a minor league system like MLB. Then football and basketball players will have the same choice as baseball. If you want an education, you go to school. If all you care about is sports, then you go into the minors. Then the free educations that they give away every year can go to athletes who actually care about an education. And maybe, just maybe, we'll also see a dramatic decrease in the amount of arrests and other incidents in which college athletes are throwing it all away.

block&tackle
12-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
This is the result of the NCAA Clearinghouse changing the entrance requirements making it easier for athletes to qualify, yet at the same time, increasing the continuing eligibility requirements. Over the past several years, colleges have been able to bring in guys that previously would not have qualified and now these same student-athletes are held to continuing eligibility standards that are higher than previous years. Not only that, but the NCAA now penalizes schools whose players do not maintain elgibility (APR), essentially placing the onus on the individual schools to recruit athletes that aren't academic risks. But as we all know, with the money and emphasis on winning in college football and basketball, coaches will bring in whoever they can bring in and worry about keeping them eligible later.

One day the NCAA will get a clue and take a little initiative upon themselves to improve the academic situation in college athletics. College is not for everyone. It shouldn't matter if you're a stud athlete or not. The NCAA needs to raise the initial eligibility requirements and then there wouldn't be as big of an issue of athletes maintaining eligibility or graduating. Maybe the NFL and NBA should just create a minor league system like MLB. Then football and basketball players will have the same choice as baseball. If you want an education, you go to school. If all you care about is sports, then you go into the minors. Then the free educations that they give away every year can go to athletes who actually care about an education. And maybe, just maybe, we'll also see a dramatic decrease in the amount of arrests and other incidents in which college athletes are throwing it all away.
I respectfully but strenuously disagree.

If they can't stay eligible so be it. But what about the kid who has trouble with the SAT/ACT piece but ends up doing well in college? Or the kid who blossoms when he gets to college and makes better grades than he does in high school. Up the entrance requirements and those kids get no second chance.

I know a kid that is dyslexic - he had to work his butt off for a 18 on his ACT. He got it then went on to make the dean's list at the DII school that he went to play football at.

It is much better to give a kid a chance and watch him fail than it is to deny a kid that chance when the potential was there for him to succeed.

SpeedOption
12-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Its the grades but the killer is academic progress towards a degree. You have to make academic progress now. What happens a lot is these guys take 12 hours which is the minimum for a fill time student. Many take a light load during the fall with games, travel, practice. Well if they dont pass 1 class then they are out because they are not a full time student. Others crash and burn taking 15-18 hours but failing a class and then dont meet academic progress depending on how many hours they have. I agree the NCAA has made it decent to get in, but tougher to stay in and meet academic progress requirements. But actually if they are a half way decent student its no problem. Its the guys who just barely pass the Taks test that have a hard time. Just because you can pass the Taks test or any other state based test does not make you college classroom ready. many dont get that. And remedial class dont cout for eligibility.

LH Panther Mom
12-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
One day the NCAA will get a clue and take a little initiative upon themselves to improve the academic situation in college athletics. College is not for everyone. It shouldn't matter if you're a stud athlete or not.
I tried to make the same point a few years ago to a radio program when the Maurice Clarret classroom drama was going on. They didn't like my thoughts at all and the reply was something to the effect that college athletes were there to win games not to win academic awards and that coaches should recruit the best athletes, not the decent athletes that can graduate. :rolleyes: Anyone know what team Clarret is playing for now? :doh:

Panther One
12-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by block&tackle
I respectfully but strenuously disagree.

If they can't stay eligible so be it. But what about the kid who has trouble with the SAT/ACT piece but ends up doing well in college? Or the kid who blossoms when he gets to college and makes better grades than he does in high school. Up the entrance requirements and those kids get no second chance.

I know a kid that is dyslexic - he had to work his butt off for a 18 on his ACT. He got it then went on to make the dean's list at the DII school that he went to play football at.

It is much better to give a kid a chance and watch him fail than it is to deny a kid that chance when the potential was there for him to succeed.
The rules don't apply to students with learning disabilities. The NCAA accomodates these students just as universities do, so someone with dyslexia cannot be denied admissions based on test scores (ADA).

And if it boils down to just being a poor test taker, then I say tough luck. Non-athletes don't get the benefit of the doubt. Why should athletes? There are thousands turned away each semester by schools like A&M and Texas that fit your description. Is it okay to deny them the chance? Since they're not athletic, they don't deserve an opportunity to show what they can do? Universities are not in the business of giving chances. They are there for the continuing education of those that deserve it.

There's a simple solution to the athletes you describe: Junior College. If they are serious about their education and couldn't get into their university of choice, then they should go prove themselves both in the classroom and on the field at a junior college. And by prove themselves, I don't mean scraping by with C's. If you're serious about attending a major university, you should be able to maintain A's and B's at a JuCo. Regular students do it all the time, so it's actually a method that works.

You don't have to worry, though. Things won't be changing any time soon.

Phil C
12-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I tried to make the same point a few years ago to a radio program when the Maurice Clarret classroom drama was going on. They didn't like my thoughts at all and the reply was something to the effect that college athletes were there to win games not to win academic awards and that coaches should recruit the best athletes, not the decent athletes that can graduate. :rolleyes: Anyone know what team Clarret is playing for now? :doh:

The system failed Clarret. He is a victim of society.