PDA

View Full Version : Field Turf's (possibly lethal) drawback?

BreckTxLonghorn
12-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Wow...Interesting to say the least.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=alxhrJDn.cdc

3afan
12-21-2007, 11:38 AM
dang ........

Sweetwater Red
12-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Lysol?:thinking:

thewyliefan
12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
i always would say before playing on turf "i wonder dirty that actually is".

is there anyway that people use to clean turf though, ive never heard of it.

catdaddy
12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
It seems to me that they should have something similar to a Zamboni machine to clean the turf and apply a disinfectant. There are also the bits of rubber in some turfs that needs to vacuumed out as well. Maybe we could start a business...:thinking:

DU_stud04
12-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by catdaddy
It seems to me that they should have something similar to a Zamboni machine to clean the turf and apply a disinfectant. There are also the bits of rubber in some turfs that needs to vacuumed out as well. Maybe we could start a business...:thinking: ....dont all of the field turfs have the rubber pellets?

thewyliefan
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
It seems to me that they should have something similar to a Zamboni machine to clean the turf and apply a disinfectant. There are also the bits of rubber in some turfs that needs to vacuumed out as well. Maybe we could start a business...:thinking:

a business like that would bank big money thats a fact. a zamboni type machine would make sense

thewyliefan
12-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
....dont all of the field turfs have the rubber pellets?

as far as i know...yes

catdaddy
12-21-2007, 02:41 PM
I've never really thought about it but turf has to be a breeding ground for bacteria. Sweat, spit, blood, piss(if your hit hard enough):D sitting in the sun with water trapped down in the bottom of the turf... http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/throwup.gif

DU_stud04
12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I've never really thought about it but turf has to be a breeding ground for bacteria. Sweat, spit, blood, piss(if your hit hard enough):D sitting in the sun with water trapped down in the bottom of the turf... http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/throwup.gif cant forget about those who lose their lunch too.

http://www.youtube.com/v/K3ZXlZ9Wxdw&rel=1

NDFootball
12-21-2007, 02:46 PM
ewwwwwwwwwww

mistanice
12-21-2007, 02:47 PM
I've never really thought about it but turf has to be a breeding ground for bacteria. Sweat, spit, blood, piss(if your hit hard enough):D sitting in the sun with water trapped down in the bottom of the turf... http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/edoom/throwup.gif

fecal matter too :doh: , if you're hit hard enough lol

Blastoderm55
12-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Heck, just think back to Riley Dodge puking all over the Alamodome turf last year. Yyyyyuck!

catdaddy
12-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Just think about the kids who not only play a game 1/week but those who have to practice on it every day. Laying down, stretching during warm-ups...Jeesh

pirate4state
12-21-2007, 03:12 PM
:eek: scary

sinton66
12-21-2007, 03:31 PM
Drum of alcohol and a wet/dry vacuum.

Sweetwater Red
12-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

We tried that. Why do you think our endzones are pink?:doh: :D

Big Papa
12-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

ok so what do you want to do about the turf though...

thewyliefan
12-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
ok so what do you want to do about the turf though...

haha...nice

BreckTxLonghorn
12-21-2007, 05:36 PM
This article is pertinent to me b/c Breckenridge is in the process of raising money to place artificial turf in the stadium. I have always been against it and for natural grass, if only because I love how our stadium is 'old-school', so to speak. However, after hearing of all the economic benefits--mainly, we have a big stadium so adding turf would be the x-factor in gaining more playoff games-- I began to support it. Now...this worries me.

nobogey72
12-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Somebody call G$$ or Go Blue, they'll know what to do.:rolleyes:

thewyliefan
12-21-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72

no comment

kepdawg
12-21-2007, 06:14 PM

I bet g$$'s known about this for a while and Go Blue thinks the whole thing sucks! :D

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-21-2007, 07:10 PM
I just finished my BS in Biology and ya know after taking some microbiology classes and I did a semester of research on MRSA, I know a little about it. MRSA is in alot of places and really won't have a chance to do any damage unless you are already immunosuppressed, you could as easily get it from touching a door in a hospital. I don't know, I guess with the nature of football you are likely to get abrasions and such but I wouldn't think that field turf would be optimal breeding ground for Staph, just my opinion though. I think they are making a big deal out of something that isn't really something.

kepdawg
12-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I just finished my BS in Biology and ya know after taking some microbiology classes and I did a semester of research on MRSA, I know a little about it. MRSA is in alot of places and really won't have a chance to do any damage unless you are already immunosuppressed, you could as easily get it from touching a door in a hospital. I don't know, I guess with the nature of football you are likely to get abrasions and such but I wouldn't think that field turf would be optimal breeding ground for Staph, just my opinion though. I think they are making a big deal out of something that isn't really something.

So would locker rooms and the equipment used (practice uniforms, pads, helmets, etc...) be a more likely breeding ground?

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-21-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
So would locker rooms and the equipment used (practice uniforms, pads, helmets, etc...) be a more likely breeding ground?

Yeah you are going to have a continual supply of organic matter for the bacteria to breed on. Sweat and epithelial cells are great bacteria food. I just don't think in the turf would be the best place.

ProudHornetMom
12-21-2007, 07:28 PM
Here's the link to the DSHS MRSA Guidelines sent to schools in September. Good information and some great pictures of staph/MRSA infections.

MRSA - Staph Guidelines (http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/idcu/health/antibiotic%5Fresistance/mrsa/)

michaelp23
12-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
This article is pertinent to me b/c Breckenridge is in the process of raising money to place artificial turf in the stadium. I have always been against it and for natural grass, if only because I love how our stadium is 'old-school', so to speak. However, after hearing of all the economic benefits--mainly, we have a big stadium so adding turf would be the x-factor in gaining more playoff games-- I began to support it. Now...this worries me.

You guys need to do something about those weird yellow lights. I feel like I'm watching a game from 30 years ago when I go to that stadium!

slingshot
12-21-2007, 10:31 PM
MRSA is a big problem now-a-days... not just in athletes, but in the public at large. I'm a family physician and the rule of thumb we follow on skin structure infections is "it's MRSA until proven otherwise". I see several patients a week with MRSA cellulitis on an outpatient basis--most are healthy individuals... not 'immunocompromised hosts'. The immunocompromised folks are the ones that usually end up with the more serious complications and in the hospital requiring surgery and/or IV antibiotics. Fortunately the vast majority of community-aquired MRSA cases (much less virulent and easier to treat than hospital-aquired cases) can be treated with simple incision & drainage of the pus if there is an abcess and respond to common antibiotics like sulfa and clindamycin. The multi-drug resistant, hospital-aquired strains usually require much stronger meds.
IMHO I seriously doubt that Field Turf is a significant risk factor for MRSA other than causing abrasions that could leave the body's first line of natural defense (an intact skin barrier) breached...

g$$
01-01-2008, 07:36 AM

Who the heck are you Abilene? Can't respond to a PM or open board, but keep chattering nonsense...classy.

g$$
01-01-2008, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I bet g$$'s known about this for a while and Go Blue thinks the whole thing sucks! :D

I contracted staph in HS my sophomore year in the football locker room, spent 3 days in the hospital, does that count? Boils & puss & the whole deal. Was not fun. Recovered & continued to play. Scar on lower leg. Go Blue - no clue what that guy thinks.

Don't bet w/o speaking to me, hoss.

Aesculus gilmus
01-01-2008, 08:46 AM
Artificial turf may or may not be a good idea.

But I am looking at the big picture in terms of danger.

It would appear to me (as someone who actually did suffer a mild concussion from a collision on the kickoff team in ninth grade) that any alleged microbial dangers pale in comparison to that posed by the deliberate high-speed collisions which are the very nature of football.

This is why some friends of mine were forbidden to go out for football way back when -- because their parents (usually the mom) were worried they might break their neck, not because they might get a staph infection.

Gilmer actually had a player "KIA" in 1969. He was in a coma with a severed brainstem for about nine days and then mercifully died.

mac77
01-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by slingshot
MRSA is a big problem now-a-days... not just in athletes, but in the public at large. I'm a family physician and the rule of thumb we follow on skin structure infections is "it's MRSA until proven otherwise". I see several patients a week with MRSA cellulitis on an outpatient basis--most are healthy individuals... not 'immunocompromised hosts'. The immunocompromised folks are the ones that usually end up with the more serious complications and in the hospital requiring surgery and/or IV antibiotics. Fortunately the vast majority of community-aquired MRSA cases (much less virulent and easier to treat than hospital-aquired cases) can be treated with simple incision & drainage of the pus if there is an abcess and respond to common antibiotics like sulfa and clindamycin. The multi-drug resistant, hospital-aquired strains usually require much stronger meds.
IMHO I seriously doubt that Field Turf is a significant risk factor for MRSA other than causing abrasions that could leave the body's first line of natural defense (an intact skin barrier) breached...

Correct me If I'm wrong Doc, but doesn't staph exist in most people naturally, its just most of us have ability to keep it in check. A documentary I've seen said it exists in the front of our nose!!! YUUUKKK!
We, like most areas on the Gulf coast, have had our share of problems with staph. The new turf designs aren't any more suseptible to it than the old turf. It has more to do with climate, hygiene, and misuse of antibiotics.
We have become proactive rather than reactive to control ours. We have steam cleaning equipment, laundry additives and we instruct our players about how to prevent it. From a high of about 20 cases a few years ago, we know only have a few a year now.

slingshot
01-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Yes and no... staph is very common--'ubiquitous' if you will. Fortunately most of it is relatively harmless (s. epidermitis)--many folks do harbor the more virulent s. aureus--usually as nasal carriers, but their immune system keeps it in check. The problem is that over the last 4-5 years community-aquired methicillin-resistent s. aureus has become very common--usually in skin abcesses and cellulitis. This was only seen in hospitals and occasionally in immunocompromised folks prior to that. I've been in practice for 18 years and had never seen a case outside the hospital prior to 2003... heck we rarely saw them in the hospital prior to the late 90's. Our school (Wylie) has taken a very aggressive approach to proactively address this problem--I think in the next year or so all others will too...

FutureAD
01-02-2008, 01:05 AM
when i was in high school i was always told by our coaches not to share towels or soap because it would be alot easier for us to develop staph...:thinking:

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by FutureAD
when i was in high school i was always told by our coaches not to share towels or soap because it would be alot easier for us to develop staph...:thinking:

you had to be TOLD not to share towels or soap??? :eek: :eek: :D :nerd:

Sweetwater Red
01-02-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
you had to be TOLD not to share towels or soap??? :eek: :eek: :D :nerd:

:doh:

crzyjournalist03
01-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
:doh:

"Billy, you and Bobby probably shouldn't be in that towel together..." :D