PDA

View Full Version : Student Study Hints

Phil C
12-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Feel free to add your advice and experiences. This is my experience. What works for me may not work for you.

When I was a sophomore in high school I was a struggling student in biology with trying to get a B instead of a C. Quite by accident early in the second semester I discovered a better way of studying and learning. I am sure I was adviced how to do it before but I didn't pay attention or didn't grasp it.

Before I memorized notes as put on the board and discussed by the teacher Mr. Garza ( a great chemistry and biology teacher). I was really mainly memorizing for the tests and then at six weeks test and mid-semester it was memory again. But I discovered something that worked for me all through the rest of high school and college.
I started to read my notes five times when I was studying at night. I would also then read everything we had covered up to that test time. By spending about ten minutes a day rather than waiting till the night before the test and memorizing I was actually learning the material instead of memorizing. I would do that and study like that before the test. Bare in mind I was reading and not memorizing but when I took the tests it seemed like the answers were flowing to my mind. I went from a struggling student between a C and B- to a solid A student. It was easier to get ready for six week exams and finals with this method and when I studied for those tests the information came back more complete and quickly rather than memorizing. I had been told by counselors that I was as good a student as some of those that were making better grades than me. I found out I was and I was a top student the rest of the high school career and those that had been doing better than me came to me for help in chemistry and math.

Phil C
12-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I had a great math teacher in high school named Mr. Saenz. He said in math the way to get good and master an area was to work just enough problems to where you can work them all and then work a 100 more. What he meant was practice practice practice.
I had not studied properly in my freshmen year in high school so I was no threat to be validictorian or saluditorian but had I discovered how to study earlier I would have competed for it.
There was one young man in my class my senior year and we had a semester exam in advanced math. I studied hard and worked problems all week including the night before the final exam. He didn't study as hard as me. I made a 98 on the exam. He had a B average but he made a 32 and it dropped him to a D in the class. He was smart and if I made a 98 he should have made a 90 and kept his B and he would have been validictorian instead of saluditorian. Such is the nature of fate.

Mr. Saenz was great. He was from Hebbronville and he told us his little sister who was our age was in the same class as us in high school. He said that she and her best friend were the two smartest ones in the class and if they couldn't work the problems then the teacher would assume that it was too hard for the rest of the class and they would move on to another area. Mr. Saenz then added "Now in my class the only way we skip an area is if "I" can't work the problems." :)

wildstangs
12-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Study? People still do that?

alaskacat
12-20-2007, 05:38 PM
My Junior and senior year of high school was a mess. I really didn't have time to study, I was a jockey, so I never came to class until around 10 AM, had a tutor for the first three classes same thing with college. and I was on the wrestling team.

I too read notes, the classes I missed was put on a tape recorder so I listened to the tape recorder for the missing class periods, and then read all my notes into the tape recorder while I was asleep...and it worked quite well..in my subconscious I would retain 90% of it. then just read the notes the night before and bongo. I got through with a B average and truly was only in class half the time.

Budman007
12-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Eating plenty of No-Doz, drinking lots of sweet tea and listening to Bad Company worked for me through 8 1/2 years of college and 3 degrees.

Emerson1
12-20-2007, 07:07 PM
My biology teacher graduated with my parents, then roomed with my uncle in college. Ya, that class was pretty easy.

catdaddy
12-20-2007, 10:30 PM
then just read the notes the night before and bongo

You weren't by chance studying with Matt McConaughey were you?:smoker:

alaskacat
12-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by catdaddy
You weren't by chance studying with Matt McConaughey were you?:smoker:

Dont know him, but then I went to Portland State and Okie State

Stownhorse
12-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Budman007
Eating plenty of No-Doz, drinking lots of sweet tea and listening to Bad Company worked for me through 8 1/2 years of college and 3 degrees.

Top 5 Bad Co. songs
1. Feel Like Making Love
2. Bad Company
3. Shooting Star
4. Ready For Love
5. Seagull