PDA

View Full Version : Decatur vs Breckenridge

Chief Woodman
09-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Decatur scores 20 in the first quarter, goes on to win 41-14. Dane with 4 TD passes..Mckinney and Christian both have big nights as well. Decatur now 3-0. I will update with better info tommorow.

Chief Woodman
09-13-2003, 11:43 AM
Sorry if I misinformed anyone last night. Dane threw for 375 yards and 4 TD's. Mckinney scored three times, adding over 100 yards of offense. Three different recievers caught TD passes. Dane really spreads the ball around, and with the talent he has to throw to you cannot double on one reciever without getting burned by another. Christian had a good night, mostly underneat stuff because of so much attention his way.

This is the first Defense Decatur has seen that did not stay in a dime package most of the night, so to the air it was. The two previous games saw teams selling out to stop the pass, and McKinney ate 'em up on the ground. Dane played one series in the 4th QTR, (Mostly with 2nd string,TD) then sat the rest of the night with the rest of the first "O". No telling what Dane's stats had been if he had 3 more series with the first string.

Changing the Mike backer really helped. One TD was a result of a fluke play on special teams. The Breckenridge punter kicked about ten yards and it hit one of our players, Breckenridge recovers on about our 30. They score from there. The 2nd TD came late in the game against combo of 2nd and 3rd "D".

Breckenridge QB has a gun...too bad the recieving corp could not do better for him. Their veer package was not to effective against a disciplined team. Most option "O" depends on "D" breakdowns to have real success.

High points- good to see the 2nd and 3rd strings get good playing time. Good to see the Eagles come out strong instead of waiting for the second half. NIce to see that the coaches are good at reading what is going on and making the good play calls. Stack for run...we pass. Set the dime/nickel to stop the pass, we run. Two great goaline stands by Decatur "D".

Low points- Four drives by Breckenridge sustained after the "D" shut them down by either a stupid penalty or inattention of the special teams. That will bite us against a really good team. That has been a bad pattern in all our games so far. Got to stop that.

Chief Woodman
09-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Another thought, excluding the Games against Decatur, Decaturs opponents for far this year are Birdville 2-0
Pottsboro 1-0-1
Breckenridge 1-0

A combined 4-0-1. I do not expect that to last long, except for Birdville. They truly are an improved team.

vet93
09-13-2003, 12:16 PM
It struck me as you mentioned playing your third team guys...Ballinger's third team would have to be the 1st team again...Since we barely have enough for the second team I guess we would have to rotate back in our 1st team (but that wouldn't be very sportsmanlike). The only other thing we could do would be to play the backs on the line and the line in the backfield. But I am digressing (sp?)...Congratulations on a solid win by the Eagles. We get Breckenridge next week...hope we can play better this year that we did last year!

Chief Woodman
09-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Did not mean to be misleading if I was. We do not have enough players to do 11 positions on O and 11 positions on D time 3...that would mean at least 66 players. The starting CB sits the bench as does starting LB. 2nd string guys in. 2nd string CB moves to safety, repacing the 2nd string guy there, he is 3rd string Safety. Some players are 3 deep on the chart, without playing as 2nd string anywhere else. Was good to see guys who never play "O" except as scout team actually line up and play "O" during a game.

vet93
09-13-2003, 12:43 PM
Hey Chief...I was being silly with my tounge-in-cheek response. By the way...I assume that the Huitt kid did not play for Breckenridge at running back since he was trying to transfer to Eastland at the beginning of the season.

Chief Woodman:
Did not mean to be misleading if I was. We do not have enough players to do 11 positions on O and 11 positions on D time 3...that would mean at least 66 players. The starting CB sits the bench as does starting LB. 2nd string guys in. 2nd string CB moves to safety, repacing the 2nd string guy there, he is 3rd string Safety. Some players are 3 deep on the chart, without playing as 2nd string anywhere else. Was good to see guys who never play "O" except as scout team actually line up and play "O" during a game.

Chief Woodman
09-13-2003, 01:23 PM
I believe you are correct in that he did not play, at least to my knowledge.

Roll'em up
09-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Just an informational side note, Decatur has 59 players listed in their program. Also, from what I have heard they also have around 50+ on each of their sub-varsity teams also.

bigbullbacker
09-13-2003, 09:14 PM
congrats to Decatur

Chief Woodman
09-13-2003, 11:54 PM
8th grade has 210 students.....95 went out for football.

slpybear the bullfan
09-14-2003, 12:07 AM
Chief Woodman:
8th grade has 210 students.....95 went out for football.Yup, one day we will have to face the facts that Decatur will grow up into a 4A school. I think ya'll will get their much quicker than Bridgeport.

What is the current cut off for 4A...

Chief Woodman
09-14-2003, 12:09 AM
I look for Decatur to go 4A in 2006. But if the experts are correct, Bridgeport will be twice the size of Decatur in 10 years. Yeah right. But if we go 4A it will not be for long. School bords goals is for a second school after turing 4A so that niether school will be no bigger than 3A.

<small>[ September 14, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>

mustang04
09-14-2003, 01:19 AM
how do u think decatur would do in 4a if they got moved up later on in a few years?

Roll'em up
09-14-2003, 11:26 AM
Look at Decatur's schedule and decide for yourself. Arlington Hieghts (4A)and Carter Riverside (3A) scrimmage, Birdville (4A), Breckenridge (3A), Mineral Wells (4A), Springtown (4A).
I know that this is not a strong group of 4A's, but Decatur did beat them all last season. So far this year Decatur has beaten a much improved Birdville with Mineral Wells and Sringtown yet to come.
I believe that Decatur would be an average (4A) football program. If you look at last season and their common opponents, it is likely that they would have been a strong contender for the playoffs in Sprintown's district with the three Wichita Falls schools, Burkburnett, and Mineral Wells.

Chief Woodman
09-14-2003, 01:44 PM
I am not sure, but I think they would do OK. Possibly contend for a playoff spot, but it would depend on the talent here at the time and what teams are in the district. Further compounding my answer is the fact that I am not extremly familair with 4A football, so all this is just a guess on my part.

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Hey Chief: I said that I thought Decator was a bit overrated before the season started. I would like to change my mind now. They have put the wood to some folks so far. Congrats on the win.

Comfortable Hemorrhage
09-14-2003, 04:26 PM
Chief,

Since playing off on receivers dosn't work and keying for the run dosn't work, what type of defense can stop Decatur's offense. I know getting pressure on Dane is hard, but don't you think that is the only thing that will get to Decatur's head and stopp the momentum? Has anybody tried a consistant bliz package against you so far or have they just been to scared to get burned?

Chief Woodman
09-14-2003, 04:56 PM
Z motion thanks for the honesty. When I said before the season that we would be good, I was not being a Homer. With one of the best returning QB's in high school and his recieving corp actually improving, we had to be good. Add to that McKinney who has recieved full ride offers from 4 D1 schools, the only question was gonna be how well the O line was after losing 3 awesome players (one a full ride at Sam Houston, one a prefered walk on status at aTm.) Truth is as a group, they look just as good.

CH- to tell the truth, the first two teams tried dime and nickel packages all night to stop the pass. We adjusted by letting McKinney run all over 'em. 7 TD's. Breckenridge blitzed all night and Dane responded. 375 yards and 4 TD's with every reciever making contributions.

So how do you stop em?..In truth, only one way (presuming Decatur does not stop themselfs) Line it up and play honest Defense. You will have to have good speed, along with the discipline not to leave you responsibility. Try to fudge and stack for run, they will pass and very effictively. Fudge the D for the pass, and a 6'3", currently 230 lbs 4.5 speed will run you over (He has flat backed linebackers in every game so far.) His 4.6 speed recorded in August was done with a pulled hamstring. Amazing to see someone that size run away from the fastest players on the other team. It will take a well coached, well disciplined talented team to beat the Eagles if they play their best.

Of course on any given night they can show up flat and not play their best. In that case they can and will get beat before the playoffs.

<small>[ September 14, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Chief Woodman ]</small>