PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Last Minute Bowl Help!!!!!

TexanFan4Life
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Couple of games that I don't really know much about, so I was wondering if you guys can help me out a little with the winners. I'm in a league on ESPN and the picks lock tonight. Just want to be sure I have the right team. Could use the help.

Connecticut v. Wake Forest - currently have Connecticut

Ok. State v. Indiana - currently have Indiana

UNM v. Nevada - currently have Nevada

So. Miss v. Cincy - currently have Cincy

I know a lot about THESE teams, but it's too close to call:

CLEM v. AUB - have Auburn

WIS v. TENN - have WIS

ASU v. TEX - have ASU

Thanks a lot in advance guys.

Adidas410s
12-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Connecticut v. Wake Forest - Wake FoFo...yes I'm biased since that's where my fiance went for undergrad. HOWEVER...they're a good team with a GREAT coach. They won the ACC last year, lost most of their defense and came back with another very good year, something unheard of from Wake in years past. They had some very close losses to BC and Virginia that weren't decided until late in the 4th.

Ok. State v. Indiana - Okie Lite has tons of offensive talent but no defense...and they just lost their OC to Southern Miss...IU has some defense, some offensive talent, and winning a bowl game actually means something to them. It's their way to honor their fallen coach. It's hard not to want to take Okie Lite though...so I would take the Hoosiers! :)

UNM v. Nevada - currently have Nevada...stick with 'em

So. Miss v. Cincy - currently have Cincy...I would stick with Cincy

CLEM v. AUB - this one is tough to pick since Auburn is reportedly practicing the spread offense being implemented by their new OC (from KY)

WIS v. TENN - I would go with Tennessee. They're playing better lately and Wisconsin has underacheived all season.

ASU v. TEX - ASU is the upstart team with the new coach and the sexy QB...Texas is the underachieving team that has lots it's offensive identity and it's defensive talent. Go with the Devils...

iknoweverything
12-20-2007, 01:57 PM
I would take Wake and Tenn for sure.

big daddy russ
12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Connecticut v. Wake Forest - I'd listen to Adidas. While UConn's played well this year, they've had a favorable schedule and the Big East wasn't as stout, top to bottom, as the ACC, no matter what the rankings may tell you. Wake is probably the most well-coached team in the nation, so I'd go with Wake in a close one.

Ok. State v. Indiana - This one's a toss up. I like the Kellen Lewis-James Hardy connection quite a bit, but OSU's a tough team to forecast. Sometimes, they show up to play and play like they can beat anyone. Then sometimes, usually within the same game, they look like they're better-suited to be a HS team (especially their defense). The Cowboys have the edge on talent, but they're so Jekyll-and-Hyde that you don't know what you're going to get, so I'd say this is a matchup of talent vs. consistency.

UNM v. Nevada - I'd put Nevada in there just because of tradition. While UNM has had a couple of good years, do they know how to win against stout competition? They lost each of their last three bowl games (last year and back in '03 and '04), and this particular squad doesn't have much history. Nevada's one of the big boys of the mid-majors, with tons of talent and tons of recent tradition. That little freshman QB they have has been a Godsend and their RB's been lighting it up all year long. If I remember correctly, he had a 200-yard game not too long ago. I think he's a soph or a junior, too, so they get these two back next year. I'm still giving the edge to Nevada, but is this a UNM squad littered with senior leadership to balance the youth on the team.

So. Miss v. Cincy - Cincy in a rout, especially if Brian Kelly's still their head coach. You have a top-25-caliber BCS team going up against a mid-major in flux (they just fired their longtime head coach).

CLEM v. AUB - Very iffy game. Auburn has a new OC who's installing an entirely new concept to the Tigers-- a passing game. Their spread offense will be introduced here, but how will the players execute? On the flip side, however, how will Clemson defend something they don't have tape on? Will one of Auburn's young WR's step up as a major playmaker to complement Brad Lester, or will the offense be so lost that the defense stays on the field the whole time?

WIS v. TENN - The Badgers have tons of talent and may be the second-best team in the Big Ten. They boast one of the two best runners in the league in sophomore PJ Hill (who was a Heisman Candidate last year), a stout o-line known for pushing people around in the run game, and IMO the second-best TE in the nation in Travis Beckum. They toppled a very stout (and underrated because of the Appy State loss) Michigan squad a few weeks back but suffered all their losses, as usual, down the stretch. In Tennessee, you're looking at a completely different team than the one who was demolished by Cal at the beginning of the season. They were peaking headed into the holiday season, but will the loss of OC David Cutcliffe to Duke mess up their chemistry? Huge wins against Spurrier's Gamecocks, Arkie, Vandy, and an impressive blowout win over rival Kentucky in their five-game win streak to close out the regular season. Then they looked very speedy and very impressive against the most talented team I've seen this season, losing to LSU by a TD in the SEC Championship. I went with Tennessee, but let's see if Coach Bielema can close out seasons better than Barry Alvarez.

ASU v. TEX - Good question. Texas is another one of those Okie State-type Jekyll-and-Hyde-type teams, and their secondary was exposed against in their three losses, and Dennis Erikson's club, led by veteran signal-caller Rudy Carpenter, will look to do the same. Based on talent, tradition, and the level at which they're capable of playing, you'd want to go with the Horns. Also, I'd call the Devils' schedule "Kansas lite." Though it was nowhere near as weak, all the tough games were played in Tempe and the Devils got lucky and caught a tough Cal squad reeling. Usually, I'd go with the favorite in a matchup like this, but when I see a matchup problem like the one facing UT, I automatically stop and rethink everything. When the underdog is playing their strength (passing game) vs. weakness (UT's defensive backfield), you know they'll be right there in the game. I took ASU simply because it'll either be a close game that could go either way or an ASU blowout. Personally, I like ASU's chances given the circumstances.

Hope all this helped. I threw my opinions in, but don't let those influence your decision. Just my observations on each game and who I, personally, would give the edge to.

LH Panther Mom
12-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
ASU v. TEX - ASU is the upstart team with the new coach and the sexy QB...Texas is the underachieving team that has lots it's offensive identity and it's defensive talent. Go with the Devils...
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Phil C
12-20-2007, 05:02 PM
I pity those of you that take this advice (going with ASU). You have my sympathy. UT is going to win.

Txbroadcaster
12-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I pity those of you that take this advice (going with ASU). You have my sympathy. UT is going to win.

Wow..this is as close as Phil C gets to talking smack

Adidas410s
12-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
In terms of NFL Draft potential ;)

alaskacat
12-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Connecticut v. Wake Forest - currently have Connecticut... Take Wake Forrest Uconn isn't much and plays an easy schedule

Ok. State v. Indiana - currently have Indiana, Stick take the Cowboys...for strength oif Schedule reasons and in these kind of games they always surprise

UNM v. Nevada - currently have Nevada, Nevada is definately on a roll

So. Miss v. Cincy - currently have Cincy take S. Miss they com from a much tougher conference and should just destroy cincy....thisisn't B Ball

CLEM v. AUB - have Auburn good choice

WIS v. TENN - have WIS, the Vols are a lot tougher than Wis. Look for Tenn to win by 10

ASU v. TEX - have ASU.....Texas in a toss up.

big daddy russ
12-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
So. Miss v. Cincy - currently have Cincy take S. Miss they com from a much tougher conference and should just destroy cincy....thisisn't B Ball
Is Conference USA better than the Big East? Haha.