kepdawg
12-20-2007, 12:58 PM
Dallas Cowboys' Owens sorry for Jessica Simpson comments

T.O. talks of Romo being distracted, then says, 'I was joking'

10:40 AM CST on Thursday, December 20, 2007

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News
cwatkins@dallasnews.com

It was all a joke.

After a media firestorm was created with his comments about Tony Romo's girlfriend, Jessica Simpson, being a distraction, Terrell Owens said he was joking and that he's sorry.

Owens, speaking before the Mavericks-Suns game at the American Airlines Center on Wednesday night, said he apologized to Romo for all the confusion and added that he wants to speak to Simpson as well.

"I tried to get [Romo] to call her so I can explain to her that she doesn't really know me and that I can be funny," Owens said. "And that everything I say, the media will take it and run with it. It's not a big deal. I will try to rectify the situation between her and I."

Before Cowboys practice on Wednesday afternoon, Owens said Simpson was a problem for Romo.

"Right now, Jessica Simpson is not a fan favorite in this locker room or in Texas Stadium," Owens said. "I think with everything that has happened, and obviously the way Tony played and the comparison between her and Carrie Underwood, I think a lot of people feel like she's kind of taken his focus away."

Romo, who normally speaks to the media on Wednesdays, was unavailable for comment because he was receiving treatment on his bruised right thumb.

Owens was asked about Simpson being a distraction because she was sitting in the front row of a suite at Texas Stadium during the Cowboys' loss to Philadelphia on Sunday.

Romo had one of the worst games of his career against the Eagles, throwing three interceptions, with no touchdowns and a 22.2 quarterback rating.

Simpson, however, attended games in recent weeks against Green Bay and the New York Jets, both Cowboys victories and games where Romo played well. He threw for 195 yards, two touchdowns and an interception against the Jets, and 309 yards, four touchdowns and an interception against the Packers.

Owens said he wasn't trying to cause any problems on a team that is fighting for home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs.

"No, I'm not trying to be a distraction," he said. "I understand how everybody is looking at Jessica Simpson as a distraction and that's definitely not how I saw it. That's how the media saw it. If anybody wants to look at it as a negative, they can do that. But for me, she was there to support Tony.

"He had a bad game. I don't think she had anything to do with it. We lost as a team."

There are other issues as Dallas enters the late stages of the regular season.

Owens is frustrated with a lack of production the last two games in which he's had five catches for 58 yards and no touchdowns.

"I have to be patient and I have to make myself realize Tony has played only a year and a half of football," Owens said Monday. "So, he really hasn't seen a lot of football. He's learning on the fly, and we've had success."

Then there's Romo, who is battling through a bruised right thumb. He did practice Wednesday, and coach Wade Phillips said he expects Romo to start Saturday at Carolina.

Home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs also remains up for grabs. The Cowboys and Green Bay are both 12-2, but Dallas owns the tiebreaker advantage because of its win over the Packers.

Phillips doesn't believe his team or quarterback is distracted for Saturday's game, despite everything that's swirling around them.

"All this about something out there that might be this or that, I'm getting away from that," he said. I'm going right back to the basics. We've got to play as well as we can – that will help us win this game."

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/122007dnspocowlede.22665df.html)

Phil C
12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
I knew it was a joke all along. Much ado about nothing.

sinton66
12-20-2007, 01:28 PM
He should be sorry. Poor little Jessica. LEAVE HER ALONE!!!!:D

Bigworm
12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
she was only there for the publicity and tony was distracted...by her :)

NDFootball
12-20-2007, 02:18 PM
dang TO and his evil plots for world domination...:mad:

Bigworm
12-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
dang TO and his evil plots for world domination...:mad:

TO is like a wave...up....and down....

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 02:24 PM
replace TO w/ chad johnson in this instance and it's just a funny deal all around.

NDFootball
12-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
replace TO w/ chad johnson in this instance and it's just a funny deal all around.

No doubt. That Chad Johnson's so crazy :D

pirate4state
12-20-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a question. Before T.O. made these comments weren't Troy & Joe Buck alluding to the same thing during the game?

I guess they are allowed to voice their opinions, in a joking manner, but TO or anyone on the Cowboy team is not?

:confused: *shrug*

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I have a question. Before T.O. made these comments weren't Troy & Joe Buck alluding to the same thing during the game?

I guess they are allowed to voice their opinions, in a joking manner, but TO or anyone on the Cowboy team is not?

:confused: *shrug* TO is the only one who can't joke because there are people like g44.

themsu97
12-20-2007, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kepdawg
[B]Dallas Cowboys' Owens sorry for Jessica Simpson comments

T.O. talks of Romo being distracted, then says, 'I was joking'

10:40 AM CST on Thursday, December 20, 2007

"I have to be patient and I have to make myself realize Tony has played only a year and a half of football," Owens said Monday. "So, he really hasn't seen a lot of football. He's learning on the fly, and we've had success."

]
I think this says volumes...
the problem is that TO does not know when to shut up... maybe that is the bigger problem...

kepdawg
12-20-2007, 02:38 PM

:confused: *shrug*

Troy and Joe aren't on the team

Troy and Joe don't have any sort of history speaking out against their QB

Troy and Joe are paid to talk about the game

themsu97
12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Troy gets bashed all the time by Cowboy fans that he is anti Cowboy in his analysis... that is a fact...

Truth is, he is a very good commentator who speaks his opinion, whether agreed with or not, and does a good job...
Buck on the other hand...imo, is not that good...

and Troy is not a TO fan and that is obvious

pirate4state
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Troy and Joe aren't on the team

Troy and Joe don't have any sort of history speaking out against their QB

Troy and Joe are paid to talk about the game

I think Troy still wishes he was on the team. Did Joe Buck ever play football?

Troy had a QB? Refer to my question about Joe Buck.

Since when is Jessica Simpson part of the game?? :rolleyes:

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
Troy gets bashed all the time by Cowboy fans that he is anti Cowboy in his analysis... that is a fact...

Truth is, he is a very good commentator who speaks his opinion, whether agreed with or not, and does a good job...
Buck on the other hand...imo, is not that good...

and Troy is not a TO fan and that is obvious buck is a lot better at baseball.

kepdawg
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
I think Troy still wishes he was on the team. Did Joe Buck ever play football?

Troy had a QB? Refer to my question about Joe Buck.

Since when is Jessica Simpson part of the game?? :rolleyes:

Are you playing dumb right now? I can't tell! :D

Daddy D 11
12-20-2007, 02:43 PM
buck is a lot better at baseball.

joe buck makes october baseball what it is, he is great at baseball

themsu97
12-20-2007, 02:47 PM
I agree on that, Buck sounds like he is trying to hard for baseball...
I like him as a baseball announcer

Daddy D 11
12-20-2007, 02:48 PM
wait,what?:confused:

themsu97
12-20-2007, 02:49 PM
on a side note, Jessica can go to every cowboy game and they can show her as much as they want:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by themsu97
on a side note, Jessica can go to every cowboy game and they can show her as much as they want:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I watched a lot of LA Galaxy soccer games for Victoria :)

shackina
12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
I think jessica simpson is owed no appology. however, Tony owes me one for not asking me to go watch him play.

pirate4state
12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Are you playing dumb right now? I can't tell! :D Ditto! :D

I have a headache!! :(

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Ditto! :D

I have a headache!! :( she's not playing dumb she really is :p j/p

kepdawg
12-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Ditto! :D

I have a headache!! :(

I just didn't want to waste my time trying to explain things to you if it wouldn't help!

Logic hasn't worked too well in the past with you!

pirate4state
12-20-2007, 02:54 PM
I just didn't want to waste my time trying to explain things to you if it wouldn't help!

Logic hasn't worked too well in the past with you!

You'd only confused me. Draw me a picture!

Logic never works well with women, DUH!!

pirate4state
12-20-2007, 02:55 PM
she's not playing dumb she really is :p j/p

Who pulled your string??!!! Just SUC

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Who pulled your string??!!! Just SUC :( :(

sinton66
12-20-2007, 02:57 PM
TO is the only one who can't joke because there are people like g44.

Is this a Freaudian slip???

big daddy russ
12-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I didn't read the comments because, well honestly I'm feeling a little lazy today, but I think that's impressive to seek out Romo AND Simpson to apologize for his actions. I'll give TO a pat on the back for that. He may not win many fans in the court of public opinion over this whole debacle, but he went directly to the people most affected by it.