PDA

View Full Version : Texas and Texas A&M Soccer Teams being outrecruited

Phil C
12-20-2007, 09:32 AM
That is by out of state teams. Rise Magazine lists the top 2008 soccer recruits. Texas has the No. 1 recuit in the nation in Melissa Henderson of Richardson, Texas who has commited to Notre Dame. No 7 is Cotney Barg of Plano who is going to Notre Dame and No. 8 is Ashley Rape of Addison, Texas who is going to Duke. The Aggies did get No. 27 Beth West of Aurora, Colo.

UT and A&M have got great teams but they have not arrived as far as getting to the Final 4 and beating ND, North Caroline, Florida and West Coast Schools in November and December when it counts. Losing these types of recruits to out of state schools does not help the cause.

And Yes I still admire the Catholic Church.

Phil C
12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
The thing that also is upsetting is that both schools have great coaches, facilities, great cities, and great tradition and one can also get a good education at both schools. Yet we can't attract home state talent. :(

g$$
12-20-2007, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
That is by out of state teams. Rise Magazine lists the top 2008 soccer recruits. Texas has the No. 1 recuit in the nation in Melissa Henderson of Richardson, Texas who has commited to Notre Dame. No 7 is Cotney Barg of Plano who is going to Notre Dame and No. 8 is Ashley Rape of Addison, Texas who is going to Duke. The Aggies did get No. 27 Beth West of Aurora, Colo.

UT and A&M have got great teams but they have not arrived as far as getting to the Final 4 and beating ND, North Caroline, Florida and West Coast Schools in November and December when it counts. Losing these types of recruits to out of state schools does not help the cause.

And Yes I still admire the Catholic Church.

I agree Phil but let's remember that not too long ago, the state of Texas was not considered a soccer hotbed. Things are changing slowly. A&M & Texas both have good teams, as does SMU. Getting over the hump is the next hurdle to reaching new heights.

Texasfootball2
12-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Just wondering:thinking: Does A&M and Texas come out to support their womens soccer teams with decent crowds. Occationnally I will stop(momentarily) on a womens college soccer game on the College Sports Network and surprisingly there are some pretty decent crowds at some of these games. May not have anything to do with it, but if their not drawing very well it may have something to do with it. Like I said, just curious:doh: :D

g$$
12-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Just wondering:thinking: Does A&M and Texas come out to support their womens soccer teams with decent crowds. Occationnally I will stop(momentarily) on a womens college soccer game on the College Sports Network and surprisingly there are some pretty decent crowds at some of these games. May not have anything to do with it, but if their not drawing very well it may have something to do with it. Like I said, just curious:doh: :D

I can speak for A&M. Great crowds, among the best in the nation. We have hosted 2 Final Fours (College Cup) recently including this year. Facility is awesome & crowds are very good. Soccer is catching on. Located right behind the baseball & softball stadiums. 1st class place. ESPN raved about it.

A&M & Texas were both ranked highly all year too. Like Top 10 & even Top 5 high, so kids know the level of play is top-shelf. A&M has won the Big 12 4 years in a row, but Texas rose up & knocked A&M out in the NCAA playoffs this year, in College Station to boot!

NastySlot
12-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2

I know a&m supports their program...my son attends a&m and works in athletic dept. and he says they rank high in attendence.

I know that for years texas has produced some great soccer talent for both men and women..........one of the top women players ever i believe played in wichita falls...at small private school...i think she may have even kicked for the football team.

g$$
12-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
I know a&m supports their program...my son attends a&m and works in athletic dept. and he says they rank high in attendence.

I know that for years texas has produced some great soccer talent for both men and women..........one of the top women players ever i believe played in wichita falls...at small private school...i think she may have even kicked for the football team.

FYI: Mia Hamm, the greatest woman soccer player ever, is from Wichita Falls, TX. She moved away & eventually played for UNC, but still a Texan & I currently lives in Austin part of the year.

Texasfootball2
12-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I can speak for A&M. Great crowds, among the best in the nation. We have hosted 2 Final Fours (College Cup) recently including this year. Facility is awesome & crowds are very good. Soccer is catching on. Located right behind the baseball & softball stadiums. 1st class place. ESPN raved about it.

A&M & Texas were both ranked highly all year too. Like Top 10 & even Top 5 high, so kids know the level of play is top-shelf. A&M has won the Big 12 4 years in a row, but Texas rose up & knocked A&M out in the NCAA playoffs this year, in College Station to boot!

Dang, thats pretty awesome. Texas has come a long way in youth soccer recently, maybe the two schools can take advantage of it in the future:thumbsup:

Johnny Utah
12-20-2007, 10:43 AM
As a kid, where did you dream of playing sports in college? Notre Dame and Duke? You talk about great schools with great educational opportunities. Do not get me wrong, UT and A&M are awesome. College is all about recruiting athletes, I would go to Duke or Notre Dame over any. Think about it. Your right, soccer is making a huge run in Texas, but lets face it, Texas is a FOOTBALL STATE!!!! Soccer is not a hot topic like Volleyball is on the West Coast or Hockey is up North. Time will tell.

g$$
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
As a kid, where did you dream of playing sports in college? Notre Dame and Duke? You talk about great schools with great educational opportunities. Do not get me wrong, UT and A&M are awesome. College is all about recruiting athletes, I would go to Duke or Notre Dame over any. Think about it. Your right, soccer is making a huge run in Texas, but lets face it, Texas is a FOOTBALL STATE!!!! Soccer is not a hot topic like Volleyball is on the West Coast or Hockey is up North. Time will tell.

Depends on what sport you play & what you want to major in at that university. I would not go to Duke to play football or baseball if I have other options; fantastic school but depends. Same with Notre Dame; great school but isolated & few women or entertainment options. Now if you say Duke basketball or Notre Dame football, of course that carries weight.

sinton66
12-20-2007, 10:48 AM
No one cares about this communist "sport".:D