PDA

View Full Version : Roy Williams Appeal Denied

piratebg
12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
He's out for the Saturday night game vs the Panthers.

http://blog.dallascowboys.com/blogs/bigshotblurbs/archive/2007/12/19/979350.aspx

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
yay....i hate toast williams

Macarthur
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
shocker!

crzyjournalist03
12-19-2007, 04:32 PM
good...now Roy, take your lumps like a man, and come back and play fair.

piratebg
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Collared: League upholds 1-game suspension of Cowboys S Roy Williams
By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
December 19, 2007

IRVING, Texas (AP) -- Cowboys safety Roy Williams indeed will be suspended from Saturday night's game at Carolina as punishment for his repeated use of the horse-collar tackle, a maneuver banned a few years ago mainly because of him.

Williams appealed the ruling, but the league stuck to its stance even after hearing his side of the story. He'll also be out one week's pay, $35,000.

Williams took down Philadelphia quarterback Donovan McNabb from the back of the neck of his jersey Sunday. It was his third such tackle this season and the fourth in two years. He'd been warned after the previous one, in October, that another could result in a suspension. He racked up $37,500 for his previous three punishments.

"Commissioner (Roger) Goodell has denied the appeal of the one-game suspension of Roy Williams," the NFL said in a statement. "The horse-collar tackling technique is prohibited because the Competition Committee and the clubs have determined that it presents an unacceptable risk to player safety. Rules that protect and advance player safety must be enforced in a way that will deter violations and prevent injuries from occurring."

Williams leads the team with 65 solo tackles and is second in total tackles with 83, so his absence will be a stiff blow to the Cowboys, especially because of the timing.

Dallas and Green Bay are 12-2 and fighting for home-field advantage in the NFC playoffs. The Cowboys own the tiebreaker, but must win their last two games to be guaranteed the top seed. Otherwise, they risk having to play the NFC championship game at Lambeau Field.

Special teams ace Keith Davis will start at strong safety. Rookie Courtney Brown also will be used in some packages. The secondary also is weakened by backup free safety Patrick Watkins likely being out with an ankle injury.

The NFL implemented the horse-collar ban -- aka "The Roy Williams Rule" -- beginning in 2005, the season after he ruined Terrell Owens' leg and ankle with one of his jerk 'em down from behind moves.

Now a teammate, Owens said Wednesday he had flashbacks to his own gruesome injury when Williams collared McNabb.

"It took my breath away," T.O. said.

Owens said Williams should know better by now, especially because the rule was put in place due to his actions. He hopes this convinces Williams to find a new way to stop ballcarriers.

"The way he tackles is very, very dangerous," Owens said. "I think he needs to do something to kind of correct that. Other than that, Roy is a great guy. But the thing is, you have to be safe. I know this is a violent game, but you have to tackle safely. ... You don't want to end a guy's career. And to tackle someone in that manner, it's just not right."

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2007, 04:34 PM
The ONLY problem I have with it is the fact it is like a facemask penalty...Would someone get suspended for having 3 15 yd facemask penalties in a season?

kaorder1999
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The ONLY problem I have with it is the fact it is like a facemask penalty...Would someone get suspended for having 3 15 yd facemask penalties in a season?

nope

piratebg
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM

I never thought of it that way. :thinking:

Adidas410s
12-19-2007, 04:42 PM
With Patrick Watkins out...this doesn't bode well for Saturday.

crzyjournalist03
12-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
With Patrick Watkins out...this doesn't bode well for Saturday.

Matt Moore at starting QB...that DOES bode well...

NDFootball
12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

Apparently he's playing well...they were talking about him yesterday on ESPN and how they got him from the Cowboys' practice squad.

Phil C
12-19-2007, 05:06 PM
:(

NDFootball
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't think this will affect the Cowboys near as much as people think it will. They're 12-2 for a reason

crzyjournalist03
12-19-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Apparently he's playing well...they were talking about him yesterday on ESPN and how they got him from the Cowboys' practice squad.

He's started one game, and they beat the Seahawks thanks to their defense.

Let me run down the list of first-year starting QBs the Cowboys have faced lately:

Kellen Clemens and the Jets: Cowboys win 34-3
Tavaris Jackson and the Vikings: Cowboys win 28-14
Trent Edwards and the Bills: Cowboys win (albeit miraculously) 25-24
Brad Gradkowski and the Bucs 2006: Cowboys win 38-10
Matt Leinart and the Cardinals in 2006: Cowboys win 27-10
Vince Young adn the Titans in 2006: Cowboys win 45-14

and that is the entire list of first-year starters that the Cowboys have faced over the last two seasons...Dallas is in good shape for Saturday's game.

g$$
12-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Different deal. If Romo had been tackled that way, Cowboys' fans would be up in arms. Facemasks are dangerous too, but usually don't lead to horrific broken ankles & legs. Horse collars are just that dangerous & leave the offensive player defenseless. How about getting into a proper position instead of always trailing play or just grab waist, legs, whatever to get guy down? Roy is at fault here & has been warned, fined, etc. repeatedly.

I just wish the NCAA would outlaw horse collars too...right now it is NOT illegal.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Different deal. If Romo had been tackled that way, Cowboys' fans would be up in arms. Facemasks are dangerous too, but usually don't lead to horrific broken ankles & legs. Horse collars are just that dangerous & leave the offensive player defenseless. How about getting into a proper position instead of always trailing play or just grab waist, legs, whatever to get guy down? Roy is at fault here & has been warned, fined, etc. repeatedly.

I just wish the NCAA would outlaw horse collars too...right now it is NOT illegal. wow you know what everyone thinks. You are the master.

g$$
12-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Better than other options of ancient Vinny Testaverde & horrible David Carr (Jake Delhomme out for year).

Dallas wins this one, but WASH game should be interesting.

JasperDog94
12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Lame rule. Put a dress on 'em or let 'em play.

g$$
12-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
wow you know what everyone thinks. You are the master.

Stalking again? Doesn't someone need a bed pan changed or something?

If you have a problem with me, talk to ME personally & quit hiding behind your computer screen. I am easy to find - although last year in Bryan you sure avoided meeting me after PMing me all week...

Let me know. You can change names all you want on here, but you are still the same to me.

g$$
12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Lame rule. Put a dress on 'em or let 'em play.

It's a good rule because it is very dangerous. Just tackle the guy & quit doing it. Why does Roy seem to be the only one who struggles with this (thus rule put in for him)?

Head slaps & clothes lines were outlawed too years ago for the same reason.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Stalking again? Doesn't someone need a bed pan changed or something?

If you have a problem with me, talk to ME personally & quit hiding behind your computer screen. I am easy to find - although last year in Bryan you sure avoided meeting me after PMing me all week...

Let me know. You can change names all you want on here, but you are still the same to me. someone calls you out on something and you got to get offensive.

-You insulted my chosen profession.
-You say I avoided you but I tried to make that game I had worked the previous night and was sleeping to rest up for the next day of work I had which was that Saturday.

You stay classy g44 you stay classy.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's a good rule because it is very dangerous. Just tackle the guy & quit doing it. Why does Roy seem to be the only one who struggles with this (thus rule put in for him)?

Head slaps & clothes lines were outlawed too years ago for the same reason. football is a dangerous sport.

JasperDog94
12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Head slaps & clothes lines were outlawed too years ago for the same reason. Football's a dangerous sport.

Lame rule.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
12-19-2007, 06:58 PM
No matter who is tackled that way, it is a horse crap call. It is football. Next they are going to be wearing skirts and playing bridge. God forbid someone gets hit in a football game. If you run someone down, that is the most logical way to tackle them. Better than falling on the back of their legs, they are way more likely to get hurt that way.

g$$
12-19-2007, 07:00 PM
Football's a dangerous sport.

Lame rule.

Yes it is, but being dirty does not justify that. It's a collision sport & violent. That's one reason we love it. Rule is there for a reason as it should be.

Should we allow spearing, late hits, head slaps, clothes lines, chop blocks, etc. just because it is a "dangerous sport"?

Of course not. Play hard & by the rules.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes it is, but being dirty does not justify that. It's a collision sport & violent. That's one reason we love it. Rule is there for a reason as it should be.

Should we allow spearing, late hits, head slaps, clothes lines, etc. just because it is a "dangerous sport"?

Of course not. Play hard & by the rules. It wasn't a dirty play until 3 years ago or whenever they put in the lame rule. People have always been horse collared in football. If that's the case they should make a rule that there is no pile ups and if there is that is a 15 yard penalty because there is a lot of dirty things that go on in a pile. All of those things were once allowed g44. That is why the old NFL players were real gladiators compared to those of now days.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
All right this has turned into a blue and G$$ pissing contest. Let's see who can melt the most ice cubes.

g$$
12-19-2007, 07:04 PM
someone calls you out on something and you got to get offensive.

-You insulted my chosen profession.
-You say I avoided you but I tried to make that game I had worked the previous night and was sleeping to rest up for the next day of work I had which was that Saturday.

No one called me out - you just enjoy stalking & starting trouble - from the behind the haven of your computer screen. And my offer stands. If you could not make it, you should not have made plans to do so by PMing me all week & giving me #s, etc. There a word for that.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No one called me out - you just enjoy stalking & starting trouble - from the behind the haven of your computer screen. And my offer stands. If you could not make it, you should not have made plans to do so by PMing me all week & giving me #s, etc. There a word for that. Sounds like you were sad I didn't get to meet you. I had planned on being there but I got home that morning from work and couldn't stay awake.

g$$
12-19-2007, 07:09 PM
It wasn't a dirty play until 3 years ago or whenever they put in the lame rule. People have always been horse collared in football. If that's the case they should make a rule that there is no pile ups and if there is that is a 15 yard penalty because there is a lot of dirty things that go on in a pile. All of those things were once allowed g44. That is why the old NFL players were real gladiators compared to those of now days.

Having shift key problems or just lame attempt to be clever?

Rules are always modified & changed by the Competition Committee based on what has happened - horrific injuries dictated the rule be put in place. It happens yearly - like this year maybe the late timeout trying to ice kickers will be looked at.

So now those same "gladiators" of yesteryear that YOU say could not play today are being praised? Flip-flop some more hoss.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Having shift key problems or just lame attempt to be clever?

Rules are always modified & changed by the Competition Committee based on what has happened - horrific injuries dictated the rule be put in place. It happens yearly - like this year maybe the late timeout trying to ice kickers will be looked at.

So now those same "gladiators" of yesteryear that YOU say could not play today are being praised? Flip-flop some more hoss. IMO these dumb rules as of late is to make the game more offense oriented to put up points to get fans attracted to the high scoring games. It is a travesty that the defense rarely gets an advantage in the rule book department.

as for the shift key i figure it isn't worth the effort to give you the $ sign cause you are hardly ever on the money.

g$$
12-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Sounds like you were sad I didn't get to meet you. I had planned on being there but I got home that morning from work and couldn't stay awake.

Oh no, just wanted to put a face to the antics. I just found it cowardly after all your build-up all week. You knew your schedule beforehand.

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Oh no, just wanted to put a face to the antics. I just found it cowardly after all your build-up all week. You knew your schedule beforehand. Not cowardly at all. I knew I worked the night before and the night of the game. I tried to stay awake. I made it till 10 am that morning then finally couldn't keep em open.

g$$
12-19-2007, 07:14 PM
IMO these dumb rules as of late is to make the game more offense oriented to put up points to get fans attracted to the high scoring games. It is a travesty that the defense rarely gets an advantage in the rule book department.

as for the shift key i figure it isn't worth the effort to give you the $ sign cause you are hardly ever on the money.

Go Nurse: offense always gets benefit of the doubt, agreed. Look no further than PI rule.

g$$
12-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Not cowardly at all. I knew I worked the night before and the night of the game. I tried to stay awake. I made it till 10 am that morning then finally couldn't keep em open.

Whatever.

JasperDog94
12-20-2007, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes it is, but being dirty does not justify that. You say it's dirty. I say it's not.

Lame rule IMO. Let 'em play flag football.

Originally posted by g$$
Should we allow...late hits... just because it is a "dangerous sport"?

For you even to imply that late hits are in the same category is also lame. Apples and oranges.:hand:

g$$
12-20-2007, 06:11 AM
You say it's dirty. I say it's not.

Lame rule IMO. Let 'em play flag football.

For you even to imply that late hits are in the same category is also lame. Apples and oranges.:hand:

How so? Why? Both are against the rules & dangerous. Should we just throw out all the rules & let chaos ensue? That would be smart, huh? Horse collars put the ball carrier in a defenseless position leading to terrible injuries. Even the wonderful TO broke his ankle because of Roy a few years ago when he played for Philly. Play hard & play by the rules. Pretty simple.

Roy Williams knows the rule. He has violated it repeatedly, including at least 3 times this year. NFL had no choice. Not apples & oranges, just the rules.

bulldogbark
12-20-2007, 06:58 AM
Football is a dangerous sport so I wonder why then that they had to ban the crack back block....man it was great to see those brocken legs in slow motion on tv. If these players are getting paid so much money then they should be able to suck up a broken leg or ankle. Thats what they get paid for

JasperDog94
12-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by g$$
NFL had no choice. Not apples & oranges, just the rules. The NFL always has a choice and comparing something that happens after the play is over to something that happens while the play is ongoing are two separate things. Even you should be able to understand that.

g$$
12-20-2007, 08:43 AM
The NFL always has a choice and comparing something that happens after the play is over to something that happens while the play is ongoing are two separate things. Even you should be able to understand that.

I know the difference genius - & both are still illegal. Even you should comprehend that, right? Doesn't matter if during play or after play happens. NFL made the right choice & protected their players from possible injury. If Roy does it again, he will be looking at a longer suspension & more $$ on the fine.

If Roy played for any other team, would you feel differently? Please be honest. You sound like a very biased homer when it was a cut & dried rule preceded by multiple warnings.

crzyjournalist03
12-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Better than other options of ancient Vinny Testaverde & horrible David Carr (Jake Delhomme out for year).

Dallas wins this one, but WASH game should be interesting.

Especially if Washington wins this week...they're going to be really hyped about knocking off the Cowboys to get into the playoffs...that's a buzzsaw waiting to happen...here's hoping Green Bay loses this week!

g$$
12-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Especially if Washington wins this week...they're going to be really hyped about knocking off the Cowboys to get into the playoffs...that's a buzzsaw waiting to happen...here's hoping Green Bay loses this week!

Exactly the point. WASH will be fighting for playoff spot & playing at home too. Plus the emotional Sean Taylor stuff, etc. is still there. Dallas could be run into a buzzsaw playing for its football life that day.

JasperDog94
12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I know the difference genius - & both are still illegal. Even you should comprehend that, right? Doesn't matter if during play or after play happens. NFL made the right choice & protected their players from possible injury. If Roy does it again, he will be looking at a longer suspension & more $$ on the fine.

If Roy played for any other team, would you feel differently? Please be honest. You sound like a very biased homer when it was a cut & dried rule preceded by multiple warnings. This honestly has nothing to do with being Dallas or any other team. It has everything to do with putting the defense at a disadvantage. Offensive games sell better than defensive games. That's the real reason for all these new rules.

I also don't like the not hitting the QB in the helmet rule. Now I don't think that anyone should be able to take a guys head off, but I've seen soooo many times where a defensive lineman swats at the QB's arm to knock the ball loose or to knock the pass down, graze the QB's helmet in the process and then BAM....15 yards, first down, fine coming.

There was one play this past week where the Dallas defender was going to hit the tightend. At the last second he turned his body to avoid helmet to helmet contact. He still hit the other guys helmet with the side of his. By rule, that should have been a penalty...even though he was trying to avoid it.

I'm all for player safety, but there comes a time when you have to say that enough is enough. Let them play.

g$$
12-20-2007, 07:21 PM
This honestly has nothing to do with being Dallas or any other team. It has everything to do with putting the defense at a disadvantage. Offensive games sell better than defensive games. That's the real reason for all these new rules.

I also don't like the not hitting the QB in the helmet rule. Now I don't think that anyone should be able to take a guys head off, but I've seen soooo many times where a defensive lineman swats at the QB's arm to knock the ball loose or to knock the pass down, graze the QB's helmet in the process and then BAM....15 yards, first down, fine coming.

There was one play this past week where the Dallas defender was going to hit the tightend. At the last second he turned his body to avoid helmet to helmet contact. He still hit the other guys helmet with the side of his. By rule, that should have been a penalty...even though he was trying to avoid it.

I'm all for player safety, but there comes a time when you have to say that enough is enough. Let them play.

I agree, rules are geared for offense. I don't want football players in dresses either, but there has to be rules too. PI rules frustrate me. Seems offense always gets benefit of doubt.

The helmet to helmet rule is another one as you mentioned. Philly's Matt Schobel (from Columbus, TX along with brother Aaron & cousin Bo) got knocked out in 1st Q on the play you referenced. It is impossible to change directions in mid-air, so sometimes this happens. Now leading with the crown is another matter entirely.

I don't have all the answers & I do think the NFL tries to be fair. Grazing the helmet is different than intending injury. I think common sense should prevail in the end, but that makes it a judgement call. Bottom line, Roy knew this rule for sure, so he should be fined & suspended. He's been warned repeatedly & the rule was put in b/c of him. Just get the guy on the ground w/o pulling down from behind/neck area as he is prone to do. Problem is instincts take over & Roy has done it this way for years, going back to OU days.

JasperDog94
12-20-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree, rules are geared for offense. I don't want football players in dresses either, but there has to be rules too. PI rules frustrate me. Seems offense always gets benefit of doubt.

The helmet to helmet rule is another one as you mentioned. Philly's Matt Schobel (from Columbus, TX along with brother Aaron & cousin Bo) got knocked out in 1st Q on the play you referenced. It is impossible to change directions in mid-air, so sometimes this happens. Now leading with the crown is another matter entirely.

I don't have all the answers & I do think the NFL tries to be fair. Grazing the helmet is different than intending injury. I think common sense should prevail in the end, but that makes it a judgement call. Bottom line, Roy knew this rule for sure, so he should be fined & suspended. He's been warned repeatedly & the rule was put in b/c of him. Just get the guy on the ground w/o pulling down from behind/neck area as he is prone to do. Problem is instincts take over & Roy has done it this way for years, going back to OU days. All very true. I understand that it's a dangerous play. You and I just disagree on the rule.

No problem.

footballgal
12-21-2007, 12:36 PM
I know most have heard this one, BUT I still like it!

Two boys are playing football in Central Park when one is attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy rips off a board of the nearby fence, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dogs neck.

A reporter who was strolling by sees the incident, and rushes over to interview the boy.

"Young Giants Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he starts writing in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Giants fan," the little hero replied.

"Sorry, since we are in New York, I just assumed you were." said the reporter and starts again. "Little Jets Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack" he continued writing in his notebook.

"I'm not a Jets fan either," the boy said.

"I assumed everyone in New York was either for the Giants or Jets. What team do you root for?" the reporter asked.

"I'm a Cowboys fan," the child said.

The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little Redneck Maniac Kills Beloved Family Pet."

GO COWBOYS!!

NDFootball
12-21-2007, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
I know most have heard this one, BUT I still like it!

Two boys are playing football in Central Park when one is attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the other boy rips off a board of the nearby fence, wedges it down the dog's collar and twists, breaking the dogs neck.

A reporter who was strolling by sees the incident, and rushes over to interview the boy.

"Young Giants Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal," he starts writing in his notebook.

"But I'm not a Giants fan," the little hero replied.

"Sorry, since we are in New York, I just assumed you were." said the reporter and starts again. "Little Jets Fan Rescues Friend From Horrific Attack" he continued writing in his notebook.

"I'm not a Jets fan either," the boy said.

"I assumed everyone in New York was either for the Giants or Jets. What team do you root for?" the reporter asked.

"I'm a Cowboys fan," the child said.

The reporter starts a new sheet in his notebook and writes, "Little Redneck Maniac Kills Beloved Family Pet."

GO COWBOYS!!

:clap: :clap: