PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol at 6-Flags and Hurricane Harbor....?

kaorder1999
12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Uh Oh!

---------------------------------------

Six Flags wants to sell beer at its Arlington parks

Alcohol already served in San Antonio

10:19 AM CST on Wednesday, December 19, 2007
By JENNIFER CHAMBERLAIN / The Dallas Morning News
jchamberlain@dallasnews.com

Arlington theme parks Six Flags Over Texas and Hurricane Harbor may begin selling beer as soon as this spring if the company’s permit is approved.

Six Flags Inc., which owns the two parks, has applied to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission for a license to sell alcohol at the two parks. In accordance with state law, signs were posted Monday, beginning a 60-day public comment period. If the application is approved, the park may begin selling beer sometime in March, said John Bement, senior vice president of in-park services for Six Flags Over Texas.

The parks' New York-based parent company has lost money recently, but Mr. Bement said the decision was not financially motivated.

"Truthfully, revenue is not the driving force here," he said. "For some time now, many of our guests have requested beer as an option while enjoying a meal at the park, and it's really for that reason that we've taken these steps to provide beer at the park."

Some other Six Flags theme parks, including Fiesta Texas and Sea World in San Antonio, already serve alcohol. Mr. Bement also said the company would take strict measures to ensure that minors do not have access to alcohol at the park.

"We will have very strict guidelines in place along with extensive training and auditing procedures to make sure the serving is controlled," he said.

Six Flags, the second-biggest U.S. theme-park operator after Walt Disney Co., has lost money in the last four quarters and has seen its revenue decline as attendance falls and spending on new rides increases. Earlier this year, the company announced plans to sell seven theme parks for $312 million to a company led by Dallas business executive Michael Jenkins. That sale did not include the Arlington park.

trojan37
12-19-2007, 11:25 AM
If you have to have alcohol to have fun at an amusement park, you don't need to be at the frickin' park to begin with!

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
The Bahn has been selling beer and such and no real problems there

crzyjournalist03
12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
beer and roller coasters mixed together seems like bad news waiting to happen!

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 11:28 AM
"I bet you can't shot gun two beers, ride the titan, get off, and shotgun two more beers!"

Rocket Dad
12-19-2007, 11:58 AM
Revenue down for theme parks ? You think 3 dollar gasoline and 4 bucks for a gallon of milk might have something to do with it ? Over the last 5 years avg./middle income folks have taken a beating trying to do the things and live the same way their folks raised them. People have had to cut out lots of xtras because of the economy.

crzyjournalist03
12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Revenue down for theme parks ? You think 3 dollar gasoline and 4 bucks for a gallon of milk might have something to do with it ? Over the last 5 years avg./middle income folks have taken a beating trying to do the things and live the same way their folks raised them. People have had to cut out lots of xtras because of the economy.

more likely it's the $15 parking and $49 ticket that are causing revenues to decline.

3afan
12-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
If you have to have alcohol to have fun at an amusement park, you don't need to be at the frickin' park to begin with!

yep - that applies to anywhere .. if you need to drink to "have fun" then you have an issue to deal with

sahen
12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
more likely it's the $15 parking and $49 ticket that are causing revenues to decline.

bingo...plus they closed astroworld, i hope six flags goes under!

crzyjournalist03
12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by sahen
bingo...plus they closed astroworld, i hope six flags goes under!

I heard that several of the "new" rides in Arlington over the last two years were actually brought over from Astroworld.

NastySlot
12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
this is not a good idea.............went to a softball tourney (12U girls) in San Antonio ....city park....beer was sold... told my wife that this tournament will get ugly before the night is over....and you know what...it did......beer and softball dads and moms not a good mix.....poor umps......beer doesn't need to be sold anywhere you have young kids.

DUKE22
12-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
"I bet you can't shot gun two beers, ride the titan, get off, and shotgun two more beers!" LOL wow, now that is a scary thought, very scary.

BullFrog Dad
12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
beer doesn't need to be sold anywhere you have young kids. I'm sure the Pro Sports owners are looking into this!

NDFootball
12-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The Bahn has been selling beer and such and no real problems there

Agreed

NDFootball
12-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Agreed again

mrescape43
12-19-2007, 12:48 PM

True. Great logic. OK, revenues are down so lets price the average citizen out! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: