PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Hill Question (history)

NastySlot
12-19-2007, 10:33 AM
How come LH didn't field teams from 1969-1975?....Until Vance arrived was LH only know for b-ball?............the team that beat Shaq....and Cole.

RattlerDude
12-19-2007, 10:34 AM
Will Liberty Hill continue its dominance for years to come? Honest answers, not just faith answers please.

Daddy D 11
12-19-2007, 10:34 AM
true. we were known for basketball and scary meth labs out in the country :eek:

RattlerDude
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RattlerDude
Will Liberty Hill continue its dominance for years to come? Honest answers, not just faith answers please.

I mostly meant the next two years actually.

Daddy D 11
12-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by RattlerDude

it will be interesting to see. the coaches every year surprise us, so who knows? only time will tell

NastySlot
12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
hey I'm not from LH...but with the system they run offensively I think they will remain one of the top teams in 3A for a while...not saying state titles every season or even every other....but with the system they have it's not a matter of having great athletes....they will never say...."man we could be hurting next season we just don't have the talent." Coach Vance has done a great job there...I believe this is his first stint as a head coach.

MN95
12-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
true. we were known for basketball and scary meth labs out in the country :eek:

So THAT explains some of the posts we see from you.:cool:

Daddy D 11
12-19-2007, 10:49 AM
nope! i would never touch anything like that

ToroChingon
12-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
it will be interesting to see. the coaches every year surprise us, so who knows? only time will tell

How do they surprise you? The Slot-T never deviates. Same plays game after game, year after year, decade after decade, team after team, Akins/Bush disciple after disciple. Only the players' names change.

Runnin Panther
12-19-2007, 10:56 AM
The O-line and D-line will be just as strong, several kids returning. Cody is back at LB as well as most of the secondary. The QB is back but we will lose all of our RB’s, but I think we have several good kids to fill in there. If they let Cody play both ways he will be an awesome RB (I think this could happen). The biggest question mark is at Defensive End we lose both ends to graduation. If we can find solid replacements for those two positions I think there is a very could chance that LH could make another run at it.

This is just my opinion.

Dogman_1969
12-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther
The O-line and D-line will be just as strong, several kids returning. Cody is back at LB as well as most of the secondary. The QB is back but we will lose all of our RB’s, but I think we have several good kids to fill in there. If they let Cody play both ways he will be an awesome RB (I think this could happen). The biggest question mark is at Defensive End we lose both ends to graduation. If we can find solid replacements for those two positions I think there is a very could chance that LH could make another run at it.

This is just my opinion.

I think that LH will be very tough again for years to come. I do believe that Marlowe Portier doesn't get near the props for his play. The 3A team came out and he wasn't mentioned and I think that just shows you what that means. He was unstopable in the 5 games that I saw him in including Gilmer. He may not have made the stop on every play but whoever had the ball was running from him!!

If I was looking for a college LB he'd be at the top of my list. He's not big enough for D1 DE but he sure is for D1 middle backer. I saw where he ran a 5.2 or so 40. If that's true then the gilmer RB that is going to OU must be a 5.5 guy.

Marlowe was the best player in 3A that I saw this year. Just my non-biased opinion.

Runnin Panther
12-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Dogman_1969
I think that LH will be very tough again for years to come. I do believe that Marlowe Portier doesn't get near the props for his play. The 3A team came out and he wasn't mentioned and I think that just shows you what that means. He was unstopable in the 5 games that I saw him in including Gilmer. He may not have made the stop on every play but whoever had the ball was running from him!!

If I was looking for a college LB he'd be at the top of my list. He's not big enough for D1 DE but he sure is for D1 middle backer. I saw where he ran a 5.2 or so 40. If that's true then the gilmer RB that is going to OU must be a 5.5 guy.

Marlowe was the best player in 3A that I saw this year. Just my non-biased opinion.

Filling Marlowe's position is the biggest question mark for next year.

firstcat
12-19-2007, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Runnin Panther

This is just my opinion.

Well, I know of one that is among the hardest hitters they have that will be returning that would be an awesome DE if given a look. Seven sacks in one game against Hutto...of course, I'm a bit biased on this one....:p

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
I remember back in the day a fight broke out at the LH gym with Rockdale because of racial slurs.

Hill Man
12-19-2007, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
How come LH didn't field teams from 1969-1975?....Until Vance arrived was LH only know for b-ball?............the team that beat Shaq....and Cole.

During those year I believe the school district was shut down, at least the high school. I was recently at an LH BBgame in Dripping Springs and while looking at a DS schedule for the 1968-69 season in the trophy case it showed two wins over LH by the score or 2 to 0. Must have been a forfeit and the first season they shut down.. I have been here since 2000, maybe an old timer can chime in with more detail..

Runnin Panther
12-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by firstcat
Well, I know of one that is among the hardest hitters they have that will be returning that would be an awesome DE if given a look. Seven sacks in one game against Hutto...of course, I'm a bit biased on this one....:p

I think he could get it done too. I hope they give him a chance there, but he may be to valuable on offense for them to be willing to give him up to the defense.

firstcat
12-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Hill Man
During those year I believe the school district was shut down, at least the high school. I was recently at an LH BBgame in Dripping Springs and while looking at a DS schedule for the 1968-69 season in the trophy case it showed two wins over LH by the score or 2 to 0. Must have been a forfeit and the first season they shut down.. I have been here since 2000, maybe an old timer can chime in with more detail..

LIberty Hill's first major playoff run (football) was in the 1984 season. They were area champs and lost at the regional game.
As far as basketball, they have been to the final four many times both boys and girls, and even to the final game, but never came home with the title...someday, though!!!

I hate to call myself an "old-timer", but compared to most on here, I guess I probably am. I believe it was 69,70, and 71 (and for the record, I was only 1,2,and 3 years old then, respectively!), that LH lost its acreditation (and I may be off a year or two either direction). The students then went to Leander, Florence, etc. I also know that one year, during that time, there were only two graduates.

The tide seems to ebb and flow as basketball and football take their turns in the limelight around here...however, we've been successful with both sports making deep playoff runs in our most recent seasons!

Football will be successful for a while to come, because, as someone already posted, with our system, it is just a matter of filling the holes with a true work-horse...no race-horses necessary for success!

All you football fans, be sure to come and fill the Panther Den for the basketball games! Imagine all of us "rooters" in a small enclosed area!!!

firstcat
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
I remember back in the day a fight broke out at the LH gym with Rockdale because of racial slurs.

Back in the day?
I remember LAST SEASON when one of your guys (and if my memory serves me badly, and it wasn't Rockdale, I apologize now...but almost certain it was) actually punched one of our teachers in the hallway...and she was pregnant!!!!!

charlesrixey
what does liberty hill have coming back next year?

NastySlot
Originally posted by Go Blue

must of been started by the rockdale fans calling LH kids white boys or something like that..........right?

NastySlot
12-19-2007, 11:56 AM
LIberty Hill's first major playoff run (football) was in the 1984 season. They were area champs and lost at the regional game.
As far as basketball, they have been to the final four many times both boys and girls, and even to the final game, but never came home with the title...someday, though!!!

I hate to call myself an "old-timer", but compared to most on here, I guess I probably am. I believe it was 69,70, and 71 (and for the record, I was only 1,2,and 3 years old then, respectively!), that LH lost its acreditation (and I may be off a year or two either direction). The students then went to Leander, Florence, etc. I also know that one year, during that time, there were only two graduates.

The tide seems to ebb and flow as basketball and football take their turns in the limelight around here...however, we've been successful with both sports making deep playoff runs in our most recent seasons!

Football will be successful for a while to come, because, as someone already posted, with our system, it is just a matter of filling the holes with a true work-horse...no race-horses necessary for success!

All you football fans, be sure to come and fill the Panther Den for the basketball games! Imagine all of us "rooters" in a small enclosed area!!!

thanks for the info...but i thought LH had won a title in boys basketball......didn't they have team beat Cole and Shaq when he was a Jr.???

firstcat
12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Back in the day?
I remember LAST SEASON when one of your guys (and if my memory serves me badly, and it wasn't Rockdale, I apologize now...but almost certain it was) actually punched one of our teachers in the hallway...and she was pregnant!!!!!

Wait, it was actually one of the parents that did the punching...

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 12:00 PM
must of been started by the rockdale fans calling LH kids white boys or something like that..........right? I don't recall.

firstcat
12-19-2007, 12:01 PM
thanks for the info...but i thought LH had won a title in boys basketball......didn't they have team beat Cole and Shaq when he was a Jr.???

They did, but that was at the Regional Tournament in the final game...1987. We played them again in 1989. We beat him when he was a sophomore (his only loss in high school), and he beat us as a senior.

LH Panther Mom
12-19-2007, 12:19 PM
During those year I believe the school district was shut down, at least the high school.
I don't know the details of why or what led to it, only that we lost accreditation during that time.

bobcat74
12-19-2007, 12:50 PM
So how long does everybody think Coach Vance is gonna last?

The Coaching staff is what you people should be worrying about.

Dogman_1969
12-19-2007, 01:45 PM
I noticed that Coach Vance doesn't call the offensive plays. I'm sure he monitors the plays but there was a young guy without a headset calling the plays. It looked like Coach Vance was running the defense and does a wonderful job of it as well.

I'd be worried that the play caller would be in demand by other schools.

Just my observations.....

LH Panther Mom
12-19-2007, 01:47 PM
I noticed that Coach Vance doesn't call the offensive plays. I'm sure he monitors the plays but there was a young guy without a headset calling the plays. It looked like Coach Vance was running the defense and does a wonderful job of it as well.

That would be Jeff Walker, Asst HC (and OC).

catdaddy
12-19-2007, 02:03 PM
The biggest question mark is at Defensive End we lose both ends to graduation. If we can find solid replacements for those two positions I think there is a very could chance that LH could make another run at it.
In my opinion, the DE position will be just fine...;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlwLFR-aCtk

Old Green
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Anyone from LH know whatever happened to Coach Charlie Braun? He was our head basketball coach in Cuero before going to LH a few years later to be the AD.

For a 5" 7" guy, he could sure dunk a basketball.:)

LH Panther Mom
12-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Anyone from LH know whatever happened to Coach Charlie Braun? He was our head basketball coach in Cuero before going to LH a few years later to be the AD.

He still lives here and his wife works at the Junior High. He was still on the JH coaching staff in the late 90's. His oldest grandson is an 8th grader.

firstcat
12-19-2007, 03:21 PM
when he left LH, shortly after Karen graduated, he went to Gonzales and coached for the Apaches...but then he moved back to God's Country.:)

firstcat
12-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by catdaddy

just some more proof of how we don't rebuild....we reload!

Old Green
12-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
He still lives here and his wife works at the Junior High. He was still on the JH coaching staff in the late 90's. His oldest grandson is an 8th grader. Great to hear. I'd sure like to see him again. He was one of my favorite teachers and coach.

Old Green
12-19-2007, 03:31 PM
when he left LH, shortly after Karen graduated, he went to Gonzales and coached for the Apaches...but then he moved back to God's Country.:) I forgot that he coached for a few years in Gonzales.:)

08Panther
12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Charlie Braun coached little league baseball and little league football this past season. My youngest son played on both of those teams with Charlie Braun's grandson.

My oldest son played under Coach Vance for the past (2) seasons. We moved to Liberty Hill (2) years ago and our children have benefited tremendously. Great Schools & Great Coaching!!!

Hill Man
12-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Your right about the demand... the OC (Walker) was offered the AD/HC job last summer at Sinton but decided to stay... He is a good coach and he came to LH with Vance back in 2001 from San Marcos..that is the last season we missed the playoffs by the way as they were introducing the Slot-T here for the first time to the boys...
Wouldn't blame him or any of the staff if they took offers that moves them up elsewhere, they would deserve it.. However LH is in a growth mode here on the north side of Austin and it looks only to get better. The thinking is Vance is staying until he retires and perhaps someone one from the current staff including Walker will replace him in the future when he does..

catdaddy
12-20-2007, 01:00 AM
The thinking is Vance is staying until he retires and perhaps someone one from the current staff including Walker will replace him in the future when he does..
While I wouldn't doubt any of the other coaches abilities, let's hope it's not any time soon.
If'n it aint broke.......;)

LHPfactory
12-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Old Green

Yeah, my oldest was coached by him in Pop Warner this year as well. He is a good fella. His grandson on that team is quite an athlete.

Hill Man
12-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Catdaddy - who is #90? I take it this is a JV or Fresh game this year..
Put #4 on him we will never know Marlowe was gone....in pads that is....

catdaddy
12-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Actually, it's my son, Gage. This was one of the first JV games this year. I haven't taken the time to edit through the other ones yet with the exception of the Llano scrimmage.

Hill Man
12-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Actually, it's my son, Gage. This was one of the first JV games this year. I haven't taken the time to edit through the other ones yet with the exception of the Llano scrimmage.

He is looking good. Tell him ( and I know you will being a former football dad myself) keep focused, constantly work hard at it and he will dominate....
Looking forward to watching him next season...

catdaddy
12-20-2007, 12:08 PM
Honestly, I just have to feed him (no small task). He has one of the hardest work ethics I have ever seen in a teen-ager. (not sure where he gets it) He loves the pain of working out and mopes when he can't. He's starting back at Catz's in January. Their workouts are devilishly brutal...fun to watch

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 12:09 PM
that kid looks like he has good techniques

catdaddy
12-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks, we gotta stay on your good side, Go Blue:D

Old Tiger
12-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks, we gotta stay on your good side, Go Blue:D only cause LHPM is from LH :p

catdaddy
12-20-2007, 12:32 PM
It's twue, it's twue

http://www145.pair.com/zoom44/M-Karm-Acting/imagesWEB/Madlin-BS2.jpg