PDA

View Full Version : Important news for 23-AAA basketball coaches:

HippoBaseball05
12-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Do your best to find out the names of the two guys who officiated the Hutto @ Giddings game tonight and avoid letting them work your road game there.

That may have been THE worst called game I have ever witnessed.

Giddings was in the bonus at the end of the first quarter. At the half it was 13 fouls for Hutto and 4 for the Buffs. After three quarters Giddings had been called for five fouls total.

That's right.... five fouls in 24 minutes. And they weren't even trying to be discreet about being biased for the Buffs. Thank the Lord Hutto was just heads and shoulders more talented or they might have been upset.

Anyway, here are the finals for the three games tonight:

Freshmen-
Hutto 76
Giddings 42

J.V.-
Hutto 68
Giddings 13

Varsity-
Hutto 86
Giddings 61

navscanmaster
12-19-2007, 12:23 AM
Were they Central Texas chapter guys? It doesn't matter what sport we are playing, Central Texas chapter guys are always rough on us.:mad:

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2007, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by HippoBaseball05
Do your best to find out the names of the two guys who officiated the Hutto @ Giddings game tonight and avoid letting them work your road game there.

That may have been THE worst called game I have ever witnessed.

Giddings was in the bonus at the end of the first quarter. At the half it was 13 fouls for Hutto and 4 for the Buffs. After three quarters Giddings had been called for five fouls total.

That's right.... five fouls in 24 minutes. And they weren't even trying to be discreet about being biased for the Buffs. Thank the Lord Hutto was just heads and shoulders more talented or they might have been upset.

Anyway, here are the finals for the three games tonight:

Freshmen-
Hutto 76
Giddings 42

J.V.-
Hutto 68
Giddings 13

Varsity-
Hutto 86
Giddings 61

Thanks for the heads up. However, Navasota got a taste of home cooking when they played in Giddings last season. In fact, Giddings needs to work on controlling their fans (mainly their students).

HippoBaseball05
12-19-2007, 12:42 AM
... but the one thing that really irritated me was after the game me and the boys I dove down there saw one of the refs at the Chevron buying a tallboy.

During his transaction, a local guy, ( I guesssed so since he greeted him kindly) asked "How'd the boys do tonight?"

The ref told him they 'Hung with Hutto for awhile but ended up losing by 20 something'.

Nice. The ref obviously had SOME ties to Giddings. He was even visiting with their fans during the J.V. game out in the foyer before he worked our game.

navscanmaster
12-19-2007, 01:01 AM
... but the one thing that really irritated me was after the game me and the boys I dove down there saw one of the refs at the Chevron buying a tallboy.

During his transaction, a local guy, ( I guesssed so since he greeted him kindly) asked "How'd the boys do tonight?"

The ref told him they 'Hung with Hutto for awhile but ended up losing by 20 something'.

Nice. The ref obviously had SOME ties to Giddings. He was even visiting with their fans during the J.V. game out in the foyer before he worked our game.

Yeah, that does sound fishy. But if you watch area hoops for a while, you will notice the same refs coming around over the years. Many refs that officiate Navasota games are from Bryan/College Station, Conroe, Brenham to name a few. They are around the game and the area enough that they get to know personally fans, coaches, and players from just about every team in the area. Sometimes they will go in with a preconceived notion, whether it be from other refs they communicate with or whatever, that a certain team has been getting away with too much roughness, and they go in thinking "I am going to show these guys something." Unfortunately, it happens at every level. Just look at the NBA last year, yikes!!!

But I still believe that 95% of referees are not going to call a tainted game.

buff4ever
12-19-2007, 09:07 AM
I am not on the up and up with buffalo basketball yet. Obviously Hutto was better, but one simple and obvious question here is this, "IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE GIDDINGS BOYS JUST WERE NOT FOULING THE HUTTO PLAYERS?"

It seems as though you scored plenty of points, and if they weren't from the line then you weren't getting fouled hard enough to make you miss. When I played, if you were going to foul them they better not make it!:D

You look like a sore winner here, but maybe it was that bad, I wasn't there.

Daddy D 11
12-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Giddings needs to work on controlling their fans (mainly their students). :rolleyes:

buff4ever
12-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by HEMOTOXIC
Thanks for the heads up. However, Navasota got a taste of home cooking when they played in Giddings last season. In fact, Giddings needs to work on controlling their fans (mainly their students).

Giddings basketball for not being all that good, playoffs 2 times in 20 years, has a pretty good game environment. It is loud, exciting and pretty fun. I was at the navasota game last year, and the only thing I can remember is that Navasota had a fan that was about to go on the court and kill someone. She was after navasotas players, giddings players and referees and coaches too. Quite frankly she had me scared and I was on the opposite side of the gym. That was the only thing that I noticed needing to be controlled.

HippoBaseball05
12-19-2007, 12:27 PM
"IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THE GIDDINGS BOYS JUST WERE NOT FOULING THE HUTTO PLAYERS?"

Um, no. That's not it.

There were plenty of 'no calls' throughout the game. Our PG got three fouls alone for handchecking when Giddings could shove our rebounders out of the way or go over the back at will. The big bleached hair kid must have had about 30 points. Most of those were on putbacks after getting a 'rebound'.

I'm not being a sore winner. Winning by 25 is acceptable I guess. I just don't want some future opponent getting shafted without fair warning. No matter what, I'll wager that anyone who folows or plays basketball would agree that only picking up five fouls in 24 minutes of gameplay is absurd.

buff4ever
12-19-2007, 04:18 PM
Um, no. That's not it.

There were plenty of 'no calls' throughout the game. Our PG got three fouls alone for handchecking when Giddings could shove our rebounders out of the way or go over the back at will. The big bleached hair kid must have had about 30 points. Most of those were on putbacks after getting a 'rebound'.

I'm not being a sore winner. Winning by 25 is acceptable I guess. I just don't want some future opponent getting shafted without fair warning. No matter what, I'll wager that anyone who folows or plays basketball would agree that only picking up five fouls in 24 minutes of gameplay is absurd.

I was just throwing that out there, so what you are saying is that hutto should have won this game 100 to 50, or even 120 to 50. Like I said I WASN'T there.

It almost game across as though you were saying that the umpires in a baseball game were unfair b/c this team struck out 18 times and this team struck out only 5 times. You and I both know there are other factors involved in that stat. SAME GOES FOR BASKETBALL. I know my sports buddy, I am not saying the refs were definetely fair, I am just making a point that IS POSSIBLE.

Adidas410s
12-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
It almost game across as though you were saying that the umpires in a baseball game were unfair b/c this team struck out 18 times and this team struck out only 5 times. You and I both know there are other factors involved in that stat. SAME GOES FOR BASKETBALL. I know my sports buddy,
Comparing the performance of hitters vs pitchers to that of officiating calls make NO SENSE at all. Learn your sports buddy ;)

navscanmaster
12-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
Giddings basketball for not being all that good, playoffs 2 times in 20 years, has a pretty good game environment. It is loud, exciting and pretty fun. I was at the navasota game last year, and the only thing I can remember is that Navasota had a fan that was about to go on the court and kill someone. She was after navasotas players, giddings players and referees and coaches too. Quite frankly she had me scared and I was on the opposite side of the gym. That was the only thing that I noticed needing to be controlled.

That's probably the same lady that sat behind me at the Coldspring game. She scared me too, and I was just a friendly home spectator. Like a combination of coach, fan, referee, lynx_rufus and Go Blue.

HippoBaseball05
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
Baseball umps can be just as bad.

If they decide to squeeze one teams pitcher and not the others, it can be just as glaring as if you were blowing the whistle one way most of the game.

buff4ever
12-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Comparing the performance of hitters vs pitchers to that of officiating calls make NO SENSE at all. Learn your sports buddy ;)

Adidas, unless you are just messing around think about it. The act of umpires on strike calling and the act of referees calling fouls here is the comparison.

The only thing I am throwing out there is the fact that the batters are swings OR NOT SWINGING the bat, and the dribbler dudes are or ARE NOT fouling. These are comparable possibilities.

Your smiley made me think that you might have been messing with me, if so fair enough; if not maybe now you understand. HUTTOBASEBALL guy I thought needed a comparison in a way he might understand, and with baseball in his name I thought he may relate a little better.:thinking: :thinking: :)

buff4ever
12-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
That's probably the same lady that sat behind me at the Coldspring game. She scared me too, and I was just a friendly home spectator. Like a combination of coach, fan, referee, lynx_rufus and Go Blue.

I am telling you, my wife and buddy wanted to make sure they got out before her, they thought she was out for blood that night; even if it was a navasota player she got a hold of:D !

3afan
12-19-2007, 04:43 PM
unless you have officiated hoops, or tried to, then BLAH

buff4ever
12-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

Fair enough, you tell em 3afan!

HippoBaseball05
12-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say:

"What does having prior experience in officiating have to do with it?"

I played basketball religiously gowing up. I even had an opportunity to play JUCO out of high school.

These guys had either never officiated a game in their lives or were 'homers'.

maestro
12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
anyone that can beat giddings frosh team by 30...wow...hutto must have the hoops talent..

i was impressed with giddings frosh last month...

Old Tiger
12-19-2007, 06:49 PM

I played basketball religiously gowing up. I even had an opportunity to play JUCO out of high school.

These guys had either never officiated a game in their lives or were 'homers'. sounds like your a homer. you're going to whine about the refs and you won the games.

3afan
12-19-2007, 06:58 PM

These guys had either never officiated a game in their lives or were 'homers'.

when I teach clinics (softball umpires) for new officials, thats the one thing I hate to hear ... "well I played ..." or whatever, because there is no comparison to playing and officiating. sure, in most (95%+) cases it may help to have played, but it guarantees nothing.

once you have been to clinics and gone through good instruction you will see the game in a different way than when playing, or you better or you'll be a lousy official.

that is all ........ i won't comment on officials I didn't see