PDA

View Full Version : Where do you shoot a deer at ?

4x100jackets
12-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Shoulder

Neck

buff4ever
12-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Pends the situation.

How far away is it?
Mountable buck or not, or doe?
Is it my last chance that weekend to put meat on the table?

If I can, I am taking the neck shot, but sometimes you have to go BEHIND THE SHOULDER.

DU_stud04
12-18-2007, 03:00 PM
i go for the head shot. i like it messy

buff4ever
12-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i go for the head shot. i like it messy

The head shots can get a little graphic, and not much fun to haul around with a tag either. It has to be a contest to talk me into that shot nowadays.

sinton66
12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Left eye. Right, in a pinch. Just kidding, actually it's 1/4 inch below the ear.

rangerjoe33
12-18-2007, 03:30 PM
I usually shoot my deer in the woods or at the feeder...hey, you asked....

piratebg
12-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33

I've been waiting for a response like this. :D

4x100jackets
12-18-2007, 03:45 PM
I have learned if you shoot them in the neck they either drop or you miss. Simple as that.No tracking involved.....I hate hearing, I found blood but found NO DEER......this kills me. Usually means they ran off and died.

sinton66
12-18-2007, 03:59 PM
You could always run them down, jump on their back and slit their throat.;)

GreenGobbla
12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
I hate hearing, I found blood but found NO DEER......this kills me. Usually means they ran off and died.

you dont say...

ronwx5x
12-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33

At the feeder? That's a low blow Joe.

RMAC
12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
You could always run them down, jump on their back and slit their throat.;)

That's what I usually do. I like to post up in a tree for about 4 or 5 hours, starting around 1 in the PM. Then when they start moving in the evening, I like to jump down on their backs and slit the throat. If it's a buck, I'll usually steer wrestle it down by the rack then slit the throat.

whtfbplaya
12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
neck-head spine connection. They drop.

sahen
12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
true story:

my uncle was out on the creek fishing in a pero (sp?) and a deer that was crossing the creek swam by...my uncle having bad luck that year during deer season decided this was his chance (he is a little on the crazy side)...anyway he has a hunting knife that is a lot like a bowie knife...he jumps out of his pero onto the deer and slits his throat...gets off the deer lets it get to the bank where it shortly bleeds out, then takes his pero over to the deer, ties it to his pero and off he goes with a deer....oh this was a buck too, i think he said 8 point, so not huge but not small, still nuts to jump on the back of a deer if u ask me....

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
I shot a doe early sunday morning and I took her down with a neck shot.

I have A LOT of deer meat so I gutted it and gave it to the AG teacher so he could skin it and quarter it in front of the ag class.

He makes some good jerkey out of it though.

STANG RED
12-18-2007, 05:12 PM
I shoot em at the base of the neck, right in front of the shoulder. They drop like a rock every time. To this day I have never had to track a wounded deer down. But I dont take a shot unless I have a good clear shot to take.

Darren
12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
I choose behind the front shoulder.

If its a doe I might shoot neck but I don't meat hunt very often.

Darren
12-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Let me clarify my previous statement. I shot for the heart (behind the front shoulder) but I typically get Gut.

zebrablue2
12-18-2007, 05:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 4x100jackets
I have learned if you shoot them in the neck they either drop or you miss. Simple as that.No tracking involved.....I hate hearing, I found blood but found NO DEER......this kills me. Usually means they ran off and died. [/QUOTE

Agreed.

Reds fan
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
I have learned if you shoot them in the neck they either drop or you miss. Simple as that.No tracking involved.....I hate hearing, I found blood but found NO DEER......this kills me. Usually means they ran off and died.

I disagree with head and neck shots for the thought process stated above. I have seen a lot things happen and a head or neck shot is not the sure thing folks want to believe.

I have found deer almost dead from a head shot, that hit the nose of a deer. You don't want to see the result of a deer shot this way and living for days, even weeks, with a maggot infested wound before dying from thirst or starvation.

Neck shots can give the same results, you can hit a deer in parts of the neck and not have a humane quick kill.

Don't get me wrong I love hunting, but I respect the game enough to know how to follow a blood trail and I know that the highest percentage shot is right behind the shoulder.

BILLYFRED0000
12-18-2007, 07:16 PM
between the a and the t.

Or alternatively at the deer lease.

sinton66
12-18-2007, 07:32 PM
I wonder if a woman has ever talked one to death.:crazy1:

BILLYFRED0000
12-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Probably not.... But I know of a few that talked them away.....:D

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Depends on what gun I have honestly, I'd prefer to hit neck but if I have to I'll go shoulder.

sinton66
12-18-2007, 09:36 PM
It's a moot point if you hit them with the car and throw them in the trunk.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
It's a moot point if you hit them with the car and throw them in the trunk.

haha LMAO.

lostaussie
12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
finally a thread that the lost one is an expert:D shooting does, it's with the 22.250 and a head shot everytime. I usually know when i'm gonna kill a doe for meat and plan my hunt that way. when I'm hunting horns and big bucks it's a .270 all the way. side facing to me i want the front leg stepping forward to place the bullett right behind the shoulder facing me but through the opposite shoulder. not only do you get vitals, but you break down the front end and get a very quick and humane kill. I'm leaving tomorrow for west Texas and will be looking for ole' Mossy Head:D

slpybear the bullfan
12-18-2007, 11:48 PM
still looking for mr. big buck myself....

Shoulder shot... .30-06.

sectionCwannabe
12-18-2007, 11:53 PM
I bow hunt, just more of a sport to me than rifles, i shoot behind the shoulder for the heart.

4x100jackets
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Shoulder shots also damage the meat....

onemanshow
12-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Highway 77

44INAROW
12-19-2007, 02:39 PM

hhmmmm - :eek: :devil: :) :)

3aSoftball4Mom
12-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sahen
true story:

my uncle was out on the creek fishing in a pero (sp?) and a deer that was crossing the creek swam by...my uncle having bad luck that year during deer season decided this was his chance (he is a little on the crazy side)...anyway he has a hunting knife that is a lot like a bowie knife...he jumps out of his pero onto the deer and slits his throat...gets off the deer lets it get to the bank where it shortly bleeds out, then takes his pero over to the deer, ties it to his pero and off he goes with a deer....oh this was a buck too, i think he said 8 point, so not huge but not small, still nuts to jump on the back of a deer if u ask me....

I read your post and had to find out how to spell pero~~"the little dugout canoe from Louisiana"
I grew up there and I just realized that I never knew how to spell it. ( nor did I ever really care..lol) But now it bugs me, so I went searching everywhere, and finally found it. PIROGUE pronounced {pi ro'}. I thought I would share.:D

AND I agree the neck shot is the best...If it is a wall hanger, and you mess up some of the skin, the taxidermist can always fix that.

sinton66
12-19-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by onemanshow
Highway 77

LMAO! I used to say I had a weird shaped lease. About 100 yds. wide and 120 miles long, ......................called IH37.

sahen
12-19-2007, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
I read your post and had to find out how to spell pero~~"the little dugout canoe from Louisiana"
I grew up there and I just realized that I never knew how to spell it. ( nor did I ever really care..lol) But now it bugs me, so I went searching everywhere, and finally found it. PIROGUE pronounced {pi ro'}. I thought I would share.:D

AND I agree the neck shot is the best...If it is a wall hanger, and you mess up some of the skin, the taxidermist can always fix that.

makes sense, my family is from louisiana...bet none of them know to spell it pirogue either...