PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady and Shane Battier Need To Go

TexanFan4Life
12-18-2007, 01:50 PM
The New Jersey Nets seem like the most logical trading partner for the Houston Rockets if they decide to put Tracy McGrady on the market. The Nets are a perennial 1st/2nd Round playoff exit under coach Lawrence Frank and could use a superstar like T-Mac to put alongside Jefferson and Carter. Division rival Boston is the best team in the Eastern Conference and shows no signs of slowing down. The Rockets could make a play for PG Jason Kidd. Kidd seems to be somewhat displeased in New Jersey, and McGrady could be just the thing to lure him to Houston and solve our PG problem once and for all.

As for Battier, possible trade partners involving him could be Atlanta and Minnesota (Marvin Williams + draft picks / Al Jefferson). Making a youth movement with a Battier trade might not be a bad idea for Daryl Morey and the Rockets. Battier just doesn't fit the Adelman system, but is still one of the best half-court defenders in the NBA.

The Rockets lack on-court leadership with what they've got right now, and it's time for them to make a big trade and shake the roster up before the Trade Deadline.

big daddy russ
12-18-2007, 03:08 PM
I think they should just stick to their guns. Shane the Brain is one of those guys who'll never be the most athletic guy on an NBA court, but does all the little things to help a team. Can handle the ball, has a great jumpshot (zonebusters are valuable in the league today), and is the team's best on-the-ball defender.

And where would T-Mac fit in up in NJ? They need a PG or a big in return for Kidd. Both Vince and RJeff are wings. They'd need to make another trade for it to really work out for them. Even if they ran a Mike D'Antoni-style offense that emphasizes spacing, movement, passing, and pushing the ball up the court, they'd need a completely different point guard to run the team.

Darrell Armstong's a great change-of-pace guy, but he's long in the tooth and more of a shoot-first point. Marcus Williams has more growing to do, and there's still no guarantee that he'll overcome his consistency problems. Besides, NJ can barely distribute the ball as it is with Jason Kidd, one of the best passers to ever play the game, giving it to Vince and Jefferson.

If you think about it from New Jersey's point of view, it makes no sense. They get two phenomenal wings to add to their two other phenomenal wings, but still lack at the point and underneath.

I think trading McGrady is the worst thing the team can do right now. If they could get by trading Alston, Battier, and a first-rounder for Kidd (which is highly unlikely) I'd say go for it. But right now, McGrady's the best thing the Rockets have going for them and has been their most consistent star in the playoffs. As Yao progresses, so will the team. Just give it time. They have one of the best assist men in the league, a great player on the wing, a potential superstar (because he isn't one right now) at center, and a developing PF that was a gift from the Spurs. Let the system work its kinks out before getting trigger happy.

HEMOTOXIC
12-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I think that it is still a little too early to make moves. Especially moves that would send McGrady and Battier packing. It is hard adjusting to Aldeman's system after playing in Van Gundy's system. They have two extremely opposite coaching styles. Now, every one knows that the Rockets must improve if they want to be a contestant in the Wild, Wild West. I like the play of Luther Head at times. But, he is too inconsistent. I guess that he fits right in playing with the rest of the inconsistent Rockets. Right now, the Rockets aren't getting the usual reliable 3's to fall. Hopefully their luck will change. With Yao being a key to the Rockets' success, I doubt that Rick's style of play will every fits Yao's ability to run the court like the old Sacramento Kings did in years past. As a matter of fact, the run and gun style doesn't fit any of the Rockets' at this point. They should work on getting a more reliable point gaurd. Jason Kidd would be nice. But, if you are going to loose McGrady, I think that it would be pointless to trade for him unless the Rockets are able to bring another scoring threat. Plus, Kidd will not be able to give you 20 points per game. The Rockets must improve on defense. Defense wins titles, ask the Spurs and the Pistons.

navscanmaster
12-19-2007, 12:42 AM
Giving those two up would only make things worse. I agree, stick with the guns you have. They are very gifted players and with time, they will adjust to the new gameplan. You can see little glimmers of excellence already forming.;)

TexanFan4Life
12-19-2007, 01:08 AM
I agree that Battier is a glue guy that does all the little things to help a team win, but he simply isn't suited for Rick's system. He can't stop and pop and he can't beat anyone off the dribble. If you can't do those two things you won't make it in Adelman's offense.

As far as McGrady...like I said, he's not tough enough, mentally or physically to step up and lead this team to the promiseland. He's still a superstar, which is why we would be able to demand something very valuable in return. I think the Kidd trade with NJ makes complete sense. I hear that the Nets really like Marcus Williams. Aside from that though, that gives NJ another card to play if they so choose. They could involve a 3rd team in the deal and move RJ or VC when acquiring McGrady for a younger point guard than Kidd. Lots of things come into play, but I think the Nets would seriously consider any offer involving McGrady we sent their way. Just my 0.02.

big daddy russ
12-19-2007, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
I agree that Battier is a glue guy that does all the little things to help a team win, but he simply isn't suited for Rick's system. He can't stop and pop and he can't beat anyone off the dribble. If you can't do those two things you won't make it in Adelman's offense.

As far as McGrady...like I said, he's not tough enough, mentally or physically to step up and lead this team to the promiseland. He's still a superstar, which is why we would be able to demand something very valuable in return. I think the Kidd trade with NJ makes complete sense. I hear that the Nets really like Marcus Williams. Aside from that though, that gives NJ another card to play if they so choose. They could involve a 3rd team in the deal and move RJ or VC when acquiring McGrady for a younger point guard than Kidd. Lots of things come into play, but I think the Nets would seriously consider any offer involving McGrady we sent their way. Just my 0.02.
He's still awkward playing in Adelman's system, but this is the first time he's every played in an uptempo system dating back to his days as a post at famed Detroit Country Day HS.

And he may not be able to beat anyone off the dribble, but that's not necessarily what Adelman's system calls for. Peja Stojakovic was always more feared as a shooter than a penetrator, and Battier may even have a better handle than Peja ever had, he just can't finish and isn't the scorer Peja is.

Adelman's system typically requires players with good hands, vision, passing skills, and ability to finish. Battier possesses three of those qualities, but he makes up for it with his ability as a jumpshooter. Battier's biggest problem this year, as the rest of the Rockets,' is just getting used to playing in a new system and getting your feet under you. They still look uncomfortable in Adelman's system and they will for a while.

McGrady is worth more than Kidd in a trade anyways and the trade wouldn't do anything to help the Rockets. Trading both T-Mac and Battier for Kidd would be taking one step forward and two steps back here in Houston. The Rockets get another PG and an elite assist guy who will probably play for another season or two, but lose one of the top 15 overall players in the league, one of the most underrated players in the league, tons of range, tons of scoring, tons of size, and tons of athleticism. Bonzi Wells can step in as a scorer/finisher and is great in an uptempo offense, but I'm waiting to see who else can help. Franchise has shown flashes, but no consistency within the offense. Head's an alright shooter, but won't make anyone forget T-Mac or Battier. Both are better-suited as combo guards instead of pure two guards.

I just see this as a trade that doesn't work for either team in any sense of the trade. It makes no sense. Houston's giving away McGrady and another six or seven years on top of the Western Conference for Kidd and one year on top of the Western Conference and while the trade makes sense for the Nets from a youth standpoint, it sets them back instead of puts them forward. Williams is currently their third string PG for a reason. His inconsistencies are well-noted and there's a reason the Nets' coaching staff is reluctant to give him playing time over a guy who drinks Metamucil every morning, is worried about osteoporosis and Alzheimer's, and shows up to the local Social Security office to pick up a check.

If they're trading McGrady for a PG, they're likely looking at younger guys like Chris Paul, Baron Davis, etc, and I don't know if any of those players would be traded for McGrady straight up. The Rockets would be a worse team in the long run after trading McGrady, though they would have a few more finishers in the lineup.

PG: Kidd 6'3"
SG: Franchise 6'3"
SF: Bonzi 6'5"
PF: Scola 6'9"
C: Yao 7'6"

Outside of Yao, that's the shortest lineup in the league. What will they do against Rashard Lewis? Lamar Odom (if he drops out to the wing from the elbow)? Stephen Jackson? Dirk Nowitzki? Kevin Durant? All the above are notorious for using their size/athleticism advantage to eat up smaller opponents. Even though people seem to forget about defense when Adelman's name comes up, Houston would be at a huge disadvantage against longer opponents.