PDA

View Full Version : Need Help: High Def TV ??s

g$$
12-17-2007, 04:21 PM
I'm researching high def tvs, etc. & have some ??s. Please help if you can so I can gain more knowledge & opinions to make a quality choice.

1080p = top resolution quality but channels are not broadcast in this yet right? Blue Ray DVD players, etc. are right? Would this be a waste until technology catches up, i.e. broadcast channels?

1080i & 720p = aren't these compatible on the same tv that can encode both signals? Virtually the same technology?

I'm leaning toward LCD right now. I have looked at plasma & DLP ones too. The room where the tv will be has some glare, so I have been advised to avoid plasma. Plasma also does not last as long right?

Compare LCD, Plasma, & DLP (pros & cons)? I was told only go DLP if buying tv over 50 inches...

Was also told Samsung & Sony are the 2 top brands in LCD. Anyone know much about Vizio & Sharp (Aquos)?

The Samsung 4053 model (720p) is a 40" LCD, high def, flat screen tv that is on sale numerous places for around $1000. Any thoughts on this one? The 4069 is the newer model (1080p).

Basically just looking for feedback - I know a little but not a lot in this area. Appreciate the help & thanks.

Adidas410s
12-17-2007, 04:36 PM
send a PM to TMer25 (or just link the thread)...he's our resident HD-TV expert! ;)

sahen
12-17-2007, 05:29 PM
i dont really know a ton about HDTVs but i like the way the LG LCD HDTVs look...i have a friend that has one and she is very happy with it and everytime i go to the store to look at them (eventually i am buying one too) they look the best...if i bought now i'd buy an LG LCD HDTV....

that said, i also have a friend with a Samsung LCD HDTV and it looks nice as well...i dont really think you can go too wrong unless if your overly picky about it....

Adidas410s
12-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i dont really know a ton about HDTVs but i like the way the LG LCD HDTVs look...i have a friend that has one and she is very happy with it and everytime i go to the store to look at them (eventually i am buying one too) they look the best...if i bought now i'd buy an LG LCD HDTV....

That's what I bought the fiance...she really likes hers.

I have an LG Plasma and have been very pleased with it. Unless you want to pony up the $$$ for a Pioneer Elite...I would buy an LG. I've been very pleased with both LCD and Plasma.

One thing to note G$$ is that the response time on LCD's is longer than on plasmas. This is really only a factor when watching sports and other "motion intensive" programs/movies.

TMer25
12-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the plug Adidas.

I wouldn't be too concerned with 1080p. It's highly unlikely that we will ever see it as a broadcast format. It just eats up too much bandwidth at this time.

Stay away from the Vizio's as they have some reliability issues. The Toshiba Regza line and Sony are the two best LCD product lines. If your going to be watching alot of sports on it, the Toshiba line would be the way to go as their video processor in the Regza line does a very good job with motion blur. It's still there, but alot less noticeable than most. The Sony's have a more accurate color decoder.

Those would be the two brands that will have the best out of the box picture, without calibration. If you have any questions just shoot me a private message and i'd be more than happy to answer them.

Emerson1
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
This is what I always tell people and what I have always heard

Under 50" - go 720p, can't tell a huge difference from 1080p. Especially if you are sitting far away from it.

Over 50" - Go 1080p. The technology will eventually catch up. Blu ray and hddvd players will start going down in price.

If you have chairs at wide angles, LCD has a better viewing angle. That is what my uncle had to go with recently.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-17-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
Thanks for the plug Adidas.

I wouldn't be too concerned with 1080p. It's highly unlikely that we will ever see it as a broadcast format. It just eats up too much bandwidth at this time.

Stay away from the Vizio's as they have some reliability issues. The Toshiba Regza line and Sony are the two best LCD product lines. If your going to be watching alot of sports on it, the Toshiba line would be the way to go as their video processor in the Regza line does a very good job with motion blur. It's still there, but alot less noticeable than most. The Sony's have a more accurate color decoder.

I have a 52" 1080p sony in my room hooked up to my PS3 but thats all it comes in usefull for besides blu-ray movies and such.

Those would be the two brands that will have the best out of the box picture, without calibration. If you have any questions just shoot me a private message and i'd be more than happy to answer them.

sahen
12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
That's what I bought the fiance...she really likes hers.

I have an LG Plasma and have been very pleased with it. Unless you want to pony up the $$$ for a Pioneer Elite...I would buy an LG. I've been very pleased with both LCD and Plasma.

One thing to note G$$ is that the response time on LCD's is longer than on plasmas. This is really only a factor when watching sports and other "motion intensive" programs/movies.

so what is this response time thing? if im gonna play video games on my hdtv should i not get an LCD tv?

mulefan
12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
In my opinion DLP is the best. pm me and I can explain in detail the difference between the 3 and the deal with 720 and 1080. I work in the industry.

Snyder_TigerFan
12-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by mulefan
In my opinion DLP is the best. pm me and I can explain in detail the difference between the 3 and the deal with 720 and 1080. I work in the industry.

I'd be curious to know why you think DLP is the best. IMO, DLP probably has the least amount of negatives. If a DLP tv goes out, more than likely you just have to replace a bulb, instead of replacing the tv, but you don't get the "flat panel".

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
I'd be curious to know why you think DLP is the best. IMO, DLP probably has the least amount of negatives. If a DLP tv goes out, more than likely you just have to replace a bulb, instead of replacing the tv, but you don't get the "flat panel".

Yea and i'd rather have a flat panel instead of a fat TV that everyone is trying to get away from.

Jack_Daniels
12-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I heard that they are dumping the LCD's on the matket and that they wont be making more sometime in the future. And they have burnout issues. Plasma all the way.

STANG RED
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a friend that has a visio 42", and it has an awesome picture! Watched the Dallas/Greenbay game on it with him. I've never seen a picture that was any better.
I dont know if there's any truth to it, but somebody told him SONY actually makes the VISIO.
Anybody know if this is true?

TMer25
12-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I have a friend that has a visio 42", and it has an awesome picture! Watched the Dallas/Greenbay game on it with him. I've never seen a picture that was any better.
I dont know if there's any truth to it, but somebody told him SONY actually makes the VISIO.

Very false. It's an American(Irvine, California) company that buys the cheapest parts from various manufacturers and slaps them together to make a display

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-17-2007, 10:50 PM

The Sony thats in my living room has the best picture i've ever seen, it's a 70" 1080p. Got it from best buy right before school started.

I've also heard about VISO being made by Sony but I don't think thats true. I don't know for sure but I don't think so.

Emerson1
12-17-2007, 11:15 PM
The only big advantage of that is if you want to mount it on the wall. I don't see the sense in paying $1000 more dollars for a smaller TV then what you could get DLP.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
The only big advantage of that is if you want to mount it on the wall. I don't see the sense in paying $1000 more dollars for a smaller TV then what you could get DLP.

Well I guess it just depends on what you like.

Snyder_TigerFan
12-17-2007, 11:26 PM
TMer25...I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on DLP vs LCD/Plasma....not to put you on the spot or anything.;) I value your opinion.

Hupernikomen
12-17-2007, 11:33 PM
So do the pixels on these LCD only last for about 5 years as I have heard?

TMer25
12-17-2007, 11:44 PM
TMer25...I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on DLP vs LCD/Plasma....not to put you on the spot or anything.;) I value your opinion.

It's one of those things where all of them serve a purpose. DLP, SXRD and DILA can get you just as good of an image as a flat panel at a cheaper price and with fewer drawbacks. You just have to deal with a cabinet that is usually 15 or 16 inches deep. Which is a lot smaller than old CRT rear projector sets used to be.

If your working with a room that doesn't have the depth for a rear projection set and a lot of an ambient light, LCD is the way to go. Motion blur is an occasional problem but one that the other display technologies don't suffer from. Plasma is the same principal, just you want it in a room with no ambient light. If it is in a room with ambient light, your going to have some glare issues and a washed out picture.

I personally own 2 Sony SXRD displays. One is a front projector and the other is a 60 inch rear projection set.

TMer25
12-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
So do the pixels on these LCD only last for about 5 years as I have heard?

In the past yes. Now LCD panels are lasting 30,000 and 40,000 hours. That's watching an awful lot of TV in 5 years. If you watch 8 hours a day for everyday in that 5 year period, your roughly at 15,000 hours.

Adidas410s
12-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
The Sony thats in my living room has the best picture i've ever seen, it's a 70" 1080p. Got it from best buy right before school started.

I've also heard about VISO being made by Sony but I don't think thats true. I don't know for sure but I don't think so.

haha that's funny...I would be interested to hear when and at what Best Buy location you got that TV from...

Jack_Daniels
12-18-2007, 01:06 AM
In the past yes. Now LCD panels are lasting 30,000 and 40,000 hours. That's watching an awful lot of TV in 5 years. If you watch 8 hours a day for everyday in that 5 year period, your roughly at 15,000 hours.

Thats what I meant. Mine is a JVC that I have had for 15 years. Yes I know its a regular tv. But the plasmas will last longer.

big daddy russ
12-18-2007, 02:07 AM
FYI: Plasmas were the TV's with the biggest burn-in problems for whomever was talking about it. DLP's had almost zero issues with burn-in.

On that note, the plasmas have come a long ways. A few sticking points between the different TV's and some good ways to decide...

Rear Projection (DLP, SXRD, LCD projection, OLED, etc.)- Typically the cheapest of the three HDTV's. Also have great pictures and the best black levels (the truest test of an HDTV are the black levels... go watch "Pitch Black" at Best Buy before deciding on a TV). Biggest problems with rear projections concern blur. They, like some LCD's, have problems with action and sports. Best brand (at least they still were a few months back) is Mitsubishi. Rear projections, particularly DLP and OLED, are known for great color reproduction and contrast ratios.

LCD- The cheapest of the two flat panels (LCD and plasma), but great sharpness and brightness. More brightness than plasmas, less burn-in, longer-lasting, and cheaper to fix. Their biggest problems come with their black levels (or ability to reproduce different shades of black). They've never stacked up to rear projections or plasmas in overall picture quality, IMO.

Plasma- Most expensive of the three, best picture of the three in optimum settings. The problem is finding the optimum settings, in a room with no windows, or where the windows have been completely (or at least almost completely) sealed off. Great color reproduction (best of the three), almost no blur effect, and phenomenal sharpness. Repair, however, can be costly. Also, black levels aren't great, but are improving tremendously. The new Pioneer Kuros are dang near your typical rear projections in terms of black levels, if not better. Pioneers without a doubt rule the roost in plasmas (with nobody else even coming close), while Panasonics also make a great picture. The chance of burn-in, which plasmas are infamous for, has been nearly completely cut out. Also, don't just look at the numbers (1080 vs. 720), as Pioneer's basic plasma (which comes in 720 resolution) blows the doors off Panasonic's comparable 1080i. Actually sit down and watch the TV's before just going by the numbers.

BTW, Vizio's a great entry-level TV, but it's on the same level as RCA, Westinghouse, etc. For a couple hundred extra, a Samsung provides a much better picture and a much better-quality TV. But that's only if you have a couple hundred extra. If not, Vizio's perfectly fine.

Just my opinions. Take them for what they're worth, and always trust what TMer has to say.

crzyjournalist03
12-18-2007, 10:16 AM
Something that nobody has mentioned yet that is really worth watching is contrast ratios...

When you go to buy a TV, they'll have a hunrded HDTVs in the size and resolution that you're looking for. Contrast ratios can really differentiate between these though.

For example, I have a friend with a 46" 1080i LCD screen, and his picture is about half the quality of my 32" 720p LCD screen.

The difference between the two is my contrast ratio is over 3000:1 while his is around 1100:1. The contrast ratio is where you really see a "pop" of the picture, because the ratio determines how many different colors it can show between "pure white" and "pure black" (or something along those lines). Anyway, the higher the contrast ratio on the TV you're buying, the better the picture will be if you're comparing apples to apples as far as 720p vs. 720p or 1080p vs. 1080p. (And my friends in the TV business say that while Blu-Rays show 1080p, television itself will most likely never broadcast at that wavelength, because it just takes up too much bandwidth and that's not a problem that could be improved with technology.

DaHop72
12-18-2007, 10:23 AM

I personally own 2 Sony SXRD displays. One is a front projector and the other is a 60 inch rear projection set. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Macarthur
12-18-2007, 11:30 AM
I have a 50" Samsung Plasma so I'm a bit partial.

I did tons of research before my purchase and plasma was the best choice for me. I think the price differential between LCD & Plasma is not that much.

I have a bright room and my plasma looks great. NO glare at all. The biggest difference you will see in the plasmas is the deepest blacks and no blur with high speed action. If you look at LCD, Plasma & DLP side by side, plasma has much deeper blacks (LCDs almost look gray), and if you watch NASCAR or something like that, you will see the blur issue.

The burn-in issue with plasma is virtually non-existent these days. Now, if you play Halo 15 hours a day you may have an issue, but almost all of them have built-in mechanisms that change the pixels to avoid this issue.

As for 720 versus 1080, you would have to get within about 3 feet of the set to tell the difference. The difference for most viewing is nonexistent. Now, if you are going really big, 60" or more, you probably should go 1080.

Brands: I have a Samsung and love it. In my research, Samsung gave the best combination of quality & price. Maybe not a top of the line set like Pioneer Elite, but it's close and a grand less.

Personally, I would stay away from the cheaper sets like Vizio. The brands I would be comfortable with, given this size of investment:

Samsung
Sony
Pioneer

Next tier:
RCA
JVC
Panasonic
LG

I noticed the other day that you can get a 50" Plasma Samsung 720 at Sams for about $1500. That's a great deal on a very good TV.

pancho villa
12-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I want a 42" LCD What is the best TV for the $. Would like to stay under $1200 if possible. Samsung seems nice.

shellman54
12-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Just purchased a 46" Samsung 1080p LCD. My wife and I spent about an hour walking around Fry's looking at all the different TV's. This one really jumped out at us. We still live in an apartment, so we really didn't want to get anything too big, but this is so light weight, and has outstanding picture. In the process of getting our cable upgraded to HD, so I will have to wait to see just how well the picture is in comparison to digital cable. I did, however, hook up my 360 to it, and changed my settings over to HD. The picture is absolutely amazing!!! Played NCAA 08, and the details jump out ot you, nothing that my 27" could do.

TMer25
12-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Like Russ said the Kuro's by Pioneer have really raised the bar in the rare cases when cost is no object. Very easy to calibrate the gray scale for which makes my job alot easier.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I need help, where can I get one for the price of free?

big daddy russ
12-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I want a 42" LCD What is the best TV for the $. Would like to stay under $1200 if possible. Samsung seems nice.
Don't know much about Samsung LCD's, but I know their DLP's are among the best in the business, especially at their price point.

Best bet is to just go somewhere (Best Buy, or, even better if you have it, your local hometown electronics retailer) and compare these TV's side by side.

The_Fan
12-18-2007, 02:14 PM

I did the plasma vs lcd vs dlp vs 720 vs 1080 vs contrast ratios vs samsung vs sony vs lg vs phillips vs YOU NAME IT , I DID IT !!! for about two months just before going crazy with conflicting info from 17 different salesman.

Then went to Sam's and bought a 42" vizio ( and sam's 4 yr. do everything warranty); saved a bunch o money and the picture is PERFECT!!!

TMer25
12-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

There is a 42 inch HP 1080p LCD that is on sale right now at Best Buy that should be close to that price. It is a solid little display

Emerson1
12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I need help, where can I get one for the price of free?
I know where txbroadcaster keeps a spare key

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-19-2007, 11:48 AM
I know where txbroadcaster keeps a spare key

Check your PMs.

g$$
12-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. & help. I am still researching & trying to make a good decision.

Keep it coming too...

Emerson1
12-19-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Check your PMs.
Friday, 0200 hours

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Friday, 0200 hours

It's on.

Gp83
12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
The only 1080P signal that's out there now I know of is Blueray. 1080P will come soon on the HD stations

Emerson1
12-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
The only 1080P signal that's out there now I know of is Blueray. 1080P will come soon on the HD stations
HD DVD and some video games are to. The closest thing over TV stations I have seen in HDNet Movies and Discovery HD Theater.

Gp83
12-19-2007, 09:19 PM
HD DVD and some video games are to. The closest thing over TV stations I have seen in HDNet Movies and Discovery HD Theater.
HDnet is 1080P? I didn't know that. Most HD signals are 720P and 1080I which is interlaced...not as fast. I love it now that Direct TV has almost 100 HD channels.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-19-2007, 09:26 PM
There are some really good looking PS3 games that run on 1080p that I've played, and man, once you play it it HD you never want to play it on anything else.

Emerson1
12-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
HDnet is 1080P? I didn't know that. Most HD signals are 720P and 1080I which is interlaced...not as fast. I love it now that Direct TV has almost 100 HD channels.
It's not 1080p, but those are the best looking HD stations I have watched.