PDA

View Full Version : Rich Rodriguez

NDFootball
12-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Why is nobody blasting him for leaving West Virginia? :rolleyes: He signed a 6 year extension to his contract at WVU last year, spoke with Michigan without WVU's permission and left without even coaching the bowl game he got the Mountaineers to. Where's all the people condemning him and putting him in the same category as steroid users, liars, and cheats? :rolleyes: More double standards from people I guess. Not just from this board, but from people in general. If anyone reads msnbc.com about sports then you would see Mike Celizic, who is an absolute clown, absolutely crucifying Bobby Petrino for leaving Atlanta. Instead people just say Rodriguez "got an offer he can't refuse." I'm not against coaches leaving early it just amazes me at all the double standards people have these days.

JR2004
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Give it time, it's coming. He'll deserve it too.

Sweetwater Red
12-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
Why is nobody blasting him for leaving West Virginia? :rolleyes: He signed a 6 year extension to his contract at WVU last year, spoke with Michigan without WVU's permission and left without even coaching the bowl game he got the Mountaineers to. Where's all the people condemning him and putting him in the same category as steroid users, liars, and cheats? :rolleyes: More double standards from people I guess. Not just from this board, but from people in general. If anyone reads msnbc.com about sports then you would see Mike Celizic, who is an absolute clown, absolutely crucifying Bobby Petrino for leaving Atlanta. Instead people just say Rodriguez "got an offer he can't refuse." I'm not against coaches leaving early it just amazes me at all the double standards people have these days.

And here's your answer....:thinking:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=3157619

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
IMO it is because someone like Petrino has done it before..MANY times...Rich turned down a big school last year..Cannot expect him to keep turning the big schools down

NDFootball
12-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
IMO it is because someone like Petrino has done it before..MANY times...Rich turned down a big school last year..Cannot expect him to keep turning the big schools down

He nearly took that job last year...only to sign a 6 year extension. I'm not saying it's bad but I don't see the difference between what he did and what Petrino did regardless of their situations

charlesrixey
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

this shows how meaningless bowls are

nobody cares when a coach leaves before the bowl (even a BCS one)

but the reality is when you get to the professional league you are EXPECTED to be a professional

Rodriguez had spent many good years and built that program and turned down many other chances

Petrino left after 8 MONTHS

there's the difference

NDFootball
12-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
this shows how meaningless bowls are

nobody cares when a coach leaves before the bowl (even a BCS one)

but the reality is when you get to the professional league you are EXPECTED to be a professional

Rodriguez had spent many good years and built that program and turned down many other chances

Petrino left after 8 MONTHS

there's the difference

they were 3-10
vick went to jail
Petrino didn't see things changing any time soon...or he realized he made a mistake. no matter if rodriguez got other offers or not he signed the extension. there's no difference.

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
they were 3-10
vick went to jail
Petrino didn't see things changing any time soon...or he realized he made a mistake. no matter if rodriguez got other offers or not he signed the extension. there's no difference.

IMO again past history of what they have done make the perception that what Petrino did was wrong, and what Rich was did is understandable

kaorder1999
12-17-2007, 02:27 PM
there is so much written in contracts that are rarely talked about. In Miles LSU contract, it states something to effect that if the Michigan job were to open he would be able to take it even under contract with LSU. Rodriguez might have something similar in his contract.

Sweetwater Red
12-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
there is so much written in contracts that are rarely talked about. In Miles LSU contract, it states something to effect that if the Michigan job were to open he would be able to take it even under contract with LSU. Rodriguez might have something similar in his contract.

If Miles took the U of M job, he would have to pay like LSU 1.2 million.

iknoweverything
12-17-2007, 03:04 PM
The only people that have a say in this are the players.(I guess the school officals as well because they pay him) If the players said that they had no problem with it, wich they did, then its fine. People like you and me and everyone else on this board have no say so and our opinion doesnt matter. If they players are ok then thats all that matters.

District303aPastPlayer
12-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
The only people that have a say in this are the players.(I guess the school officals as well because they pay him) If the players said that they had no problem with it, wich they did, then its fine. People like you and me and everyone else on this board have no say so and our opinion doesnt matter. If they players are ok then thats all that matters.

What isn't being stated is that the relationship between him and the AD were deteriorating QUICKLY... so yeah... Owen Schmidt said he was fine with it, so I'm okay with it

District303aPastPlayer
12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
another thing is this...

Bobby Petrino signed 20 years worth of contracts for 3 schools in 16 months...

Adidas410s
12-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
another thing is this...

Bobby Petrino signed 20 years worth of contracts for 3 schools in 16 months...

job security at it's finest ;)