PDA

View Full Version : Saw REK Friday night...

g$$
12-15-2007, 04:36 AM
I took my girlfriend Friday night to a Robert Earl Keen show at Verizon Theater in Houston. I have seen REK dozens of times since the mid 1990s & I must say, he & the band have never sounded better. They have really found their place. It was a great show - he played for just over 2 hours including 2 encores. Started w/ "What I Really Mean" & ended w/ "Merry Christmas from the Family" of course since it's December, & played all the favorites & some newer stuff too along the way. Really mixed it up from all 14 albums. "Corpus Christi Bay" has been jazzed up a bit & sounded terrific.

REK is kind of an acquired taste & I enjoy different genres of music. I esp/ like his songwriting (he's an English major) & not a better storyteller alive. The man knows how to entertain a crowd. He's an Aggie but kidded w/ Ags & Horns alike. He knows where his bread is buttered. Robert is rockin' a long-haired floppy 'do currently - he's looking older too like all of us I guess.

Anyway, go see a REK show if you haven't seen them in a while. They have never sounded better. Good time Friday night in Houston & well worth it.

Bull Butter
12-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I saw REK about a month ago. Good show and sound, but I miss the fiddle of Bryan Duckworth:(

Antec
12-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Stop bragging

we couldn't make it

Im sure yall had a great time

We went to hear him there about 6 years ago and got wasted big time

Shooting down tequila shots

His music makes you want to party down

Gobbla2001
12-15-2007, 05:05 PM
love me some REK... like you said, an aquired taste... but damn it tastes good (not like that ha)...

Pudlugger
12-15-2007, 05:06 PM
REK is awesome,I listen to him all the time. I especially like "The Porch song" and Corpus Cristi Bay".

carter08
12-15-2007, 06:30 PM
Got a call around 3 yesterday from a friend who had an extra ticket. But by that time, I'd already made other plans, and Houston's a pretty long drive.

sucks i missed it.

g$$
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
REK is awesome,I listen to him all the time. I especially like "The Porch song" and Corpus Cristi Bay".

He played them both among others. Told a great story in the middle of an acoustical "Front Porch Song", a new spin on his old landlord Jack Boyette & a $2 check. Good stuff.

Great Aggie joke involving "What is What" if you have heard it, about kid & entrance exam to A&M. And the Japanese Aggie who bombed the Pearl Brewery too! He kidded the Horns as well.

I miss his old band member Bryan Duckworth too (he retired from band). But they had a new banjo player last night who kicked butt ( ?? Barnes). Just a really good time & REK always entertains.

BTW, Bonnie Bishop opened & helped out on the final encore. Woman can flat sing!

g$$
12-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Got a call around 3 yesterday from a friend who had an extra ticket. But by that time, I'd already made other plans, and Houston's a pretty long drive.

sucks i missed it.

It's 1 hour away from you buddy! I am from Sweeny remember originally...you missed out.

Tiger Turtle
12-15-2007, 08:27 PM
REK is one of my all-time favorite artists. I was originally scheduled to go see him at the Hall in CS last Saturday, but my wife chickened out because she had a church choir program the next day.

rockdale80
12-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I took my girlfriend Friday night to a Robert Earl Keen show at Verizon Theater in Houston. I have seen REK dozens of times since the mid 1990s & I must say, he & the band have never sounded better. They have really found their place. It was a great show - he played for just over 2 hours including 2 encores. Started w/ "What I Really Mean" & ended w/ "Merry Christmas from the Family" of course since it's December, & played all the favorites & some newer stuff too along the way. Really mixed it up from all 14 albums. "Corpus Christi Bay" has been jazzed up a bit & sounded terrific.

REK is kind of an acquired taste & I enjoy different genres of music. I esp/ like his songwriting (he's an English major) & not a better storyteller alive. The man knows how to entertain a crowd. He's an Aggie but kidded w/ Ags & Horns alike. He knows where his bread is buttered. Robert is rockin' a long-haired floppy 'do currently - he's looking older too like all of us I guess.

Anyway, go see a REK show if you haven't seen them in a while. They have never sounded better. Good time Friday night in Houston & well worth it.

If you like music that tells a story, then try some Adam Carroll. :)

g$$
12-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
If you like music that tells a story, then try some Adam Carroll. :)

I hear you - like his stuff. REK says that Adam is one of his favorites on the scene now too.

My musical tastes range big-time depending on my mood. I can go from alternative rock to Texas/Red Dirt country to classic rock in a heartbeat. Hate bubble gum country & pop.

carter08
12-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by g$$
It's 1 hour away from you buddy! I am from Sweeny remember originally...you missed out.

Yea. I know. :/

Antec
12-16-2007, 04:53 PM
REK has his own radio show on XM Radio

Channel 12- he features and interviews Texas singer songwriter4s

Show is aired on Saturday's

Antec
12-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I have the live show from Ryman Auditorium in Nashville and From Austin City Limites

So that makes at leas 4 live show hes has onc CDs

Live Dinner I and II