PDA

View Full Version : Astros make another trade...

g$$
12-14-2007, 06:26 PM
Astros just made another trade:

Acquire RH reliever/closer Jose Valverde from Arizona

for

2B Chris Burke
RHP Juan Gutierrez
RHP Chad Qualls

Looks to be a bit much at face value...gave away more pitching when we desperately need PITCHING. Bullpen is pretty deep but need starters behind Roy O.

Gutierrez is a starter with a good arm & Qualls has value as a middle reliever too. Burke needed a change of scenery. If Valverde does well as a closer with us, then it can be justified. He better perform. I think Valverde was an All Star last year for Arizona. He led MLB with 47 saves & is signed for 2 more years.

Maroon87
12-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Dang...at this rate Roy O, Berkman, and Ausmus will be all that's left of the 2005 NL Champs. :(

JasperDog94
12-14-2007, 07:19 PM
If this gets us a good closer then it's a good deal. Wade may end up being trigger happy, but I'll take it over what we had with Purpura.

Bulldog_12
12-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If this gets us a good closer then it's a good deal. Wade may end up being trigger happy, but I'll take it over what we had with Purpura.

No kidding. I like this a lot more than when Purpura sat on his hands and did nothing. At least now I feel like we are actively trying to get better.

sahen
12-15-2007, 01:43 AM
i like this trade a lot better than that tejada deal...a solid closer in the bullpen can anchor the rest of the bullpen and make it dominate....that can come in handy if you have no starting pitching like it looks like we will have....hopefully we find some though and this could turn into a good team...

eagles_victory
12-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Valverde has electric stuff. If I was an Astros fan I would love this deal. You acquired a great player with great passion for the game

g$$
12-15-2007, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by sahen
i like this trade a lot better than that tejada deal...a solid closer in the bullpen can anchor the rest of the bullpen and make it dominate....that can come in handy if you have no starting pitching like it looks like we will have....hopefully we find some though and this could turn into a good team...

I like it, but a closer is only as good as the guys getting the lead to him late in the ballgame. Valverde does have filthy stuff, but we still need starting pitching behind Roy Oswalt.

Wade is definitely aggressive, & I like that over Timid Tim Purpura any day. Astros are pursuing Mark Prior after the Cubs let him go as FA. If somehow he could get healthy (huge question mark), that would be wonderful. Worth giving him a look at the right price anyway. Prior had shoulder surgery so who knows. At one time he was a can't miss guy headed for stardom.

g$$
12-15-2007, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Dang...at this rate Roy O, Berkman, and Ausmus will be all that's left of the 2005 NL Champs. :(

+ Backe, that's it!

g$$
12-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by g$$
+ Backe, that's it!

Forgot one more...Wandy Rodriguez

So from 2005 NL Champs:
Berkman, Oswalt, Ausmus, Backe, Rodriguez

5 guys!

It's a new era in Houston. With some starting pitching this team could be darn scary. It's only December so we'll see how that area is addressed before Spring Training (but market is thin).

Right now:
Oswalt
Backe
Wandy
Sampson
Woody Williams

ugh...

zebrablue2
12-15-2007, 07:57 AM
hopefully wandy will come into his own this season, and backe will be healthy. lost a good pitcher and good person in qualls. picked up a good closer. question is, will there be anything to close?

GoStafford
12-15-2007, 12:46 PM
I fear we may end up giving away our farm system infielders to get any decent pitching.

htowntransplant
12-15-2007, 01:52 PM
what farm system? the only decent infielder in the farm is johnny ash.

big daddy russ
12-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Astros are pursuing Mark Prior after the Cubs let him go as FA. If somehow he could get healthy (huge question mark), that would be wonderful. Worth giving him a look at the right price anyway. Prior had shoulder surgery so who knows. At one time he was a can't miss guy headed for stardom.
Prior? If he came at the right price, that would be awesome. I always thought him and Kerry Wood were the next big things at SP until injuries derailed them.

There are a whole lot of what ifs with Prior, but if he can just get healthy for once, we'd have that second starter we desperately need. And if Prior can pitch like he's capable of, that second starter may be Roy O.

Buccaneer
12-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe Prior could be the pinch hitter off the bench now that Lamb is gone.

g$$
12-15-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
what farm system? the only decent infielder in the farm is johnny ash.

There aren't many prospects currently - Ash & a few others (Iorg, etc.). Farm system will be rebuilt under Wade.

Russ: I'm with you on giving Prior a look. But Roy O. is our #1 & among the best 6-7 pitchers in MLB. I just hope Prior could be gotten on the cheap & who knows...

Wandy, Backe, etc. are not #2 guys in any rotation. They are fine as back end of the rotation starters.