PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Draft: Did Texans end up making right choice?

g$$
12-14-2007, 05:36 PM
OK, I have criticized Mario Williams too. He certainly has turned the corner this year though with 13 sacks & 2nd in NFL currently. He also battled a foot injury last year that limited him in games & did not allow him to practice much either halfway into last season. He was dominant last night with 3.5 sacks for game. Mario looks to be headed for 1st Pro Bowl. Credit Gary Kubiak & DL Coach Jethro Franklin too.

VY is struggling big-time. Reggie Bush is more receiver than RB in the NFL. AJ Hawk & others have done well too.

Right now, Mario looks to be the pass rushing DE & run stopper he was hyped to be coming out of the Combine. 6'7" 290 lbs. of athlete.

Objectively speaking, do you think he is the best player from the 2006 Draft right now. Forget school loyalty - is he the best player?

I think he is based on the progress he has made & the regressions of others (VY included).

kepdawg
12-14-2007, 05:38 PM
It is still way too early to tell.

crzyjournalist03
12-14-2007, 05:39 PM
"best" is a loose term...

I might actually lean toward Marques Colston as the best offensive player from 2006 to this point, but Mario is definitely proving worth his selection.

mustang04
12-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
OK, I have criticized Mario Williams too. He certainly has turned the corner this year though with 13 sacks & 2nd in NFL currently. He also battled a foot injury last year that limited him in games & did not allow him to practice much either halfway into last season. He was dominant last night with 3.5 sacks for game. Mario looks to be headed for 1st Pro Bowl. Credit Gary Kubiak & DL Coach Jethro Franklin too.

VY is struggling big-time. Reggie Bush is more receiver than RB in the NFL. AJ Hawk & others have done well too.

Right now, Mario looks to be the pass rushing DE & run stopper he was hyped to be coming out of the Combine. 6'7" 290 lbs. of athlete.

Objectively speaking, do you think he is the best player from the 2006 Draft right now. Forget school loyalty - is he the best player?

I think he is based on the progress he has made & the regressions of others (VY included).

give VY some good receivers

Phil C
12-14-2007, 05:49 PM
No! They should have drafted Vince Young!

g$$
12-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
give VY some good receivers

VY is a remedial passer, good receivers or not. He has way too many INTs vs. TDs. He isn't even running much as he tries to learn to be a pocket passer (2 yds. rushing last week, 2 INTs). Teams are forcing him to stay in pocket & the results are not good. Look at his #s, rating, INTs, TDs, etc. That cannot all be put on average receivers. He has regressed this year. Will he get better? Probably. But to think he will become in the NFL what he was in college is a huge stretch. Too many athletes who can run just like him & complex schemes too.

I said coming out of college that VY must improve his accuracy to be a quality NFL qb. He makes good throws but way too many bad ones too. Poor decisions too. Accuracy is more important than arm strength. Blue & others laughed at me. Hmmm...

Objectively speaking, Mario seems to be the best player right now of the 2006 Draft. Who has been better? Who is making more progress? Colston is a good player, but so are DeMeco Ryans & others. Time will tell but I say Mario right now.

WylieBulldog92
12-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Should we make an all 2006 draft team both offensively and defensively including returners and special teams?

JasperDog94
12-14-2007, 07:27 PM
We really won't know for another 3-5 years who was the better selection. Maybe even beyond that. Mario is certainly playing better this year that Young and Bush. Last year Mario was injured. This year VY has no receiving corp. Bush...well, I really don't know about him. He certainly never got hit in college like he has in the pros.

On the topic of VY, he has definitely struggled this year. It doesn't help that of the 2 or 3 games I've seen him play this year, I saw his receivers drop numerous passes. On two occasions the dropped passes were followed up by interceptions because it was 3rd and long. I'm not saying that VY doesn't make those same throws, but the play calling on 1st and 10 is totally different than 3rd and long.

Ultimately time will tell.

NDFootball
12-14-2007, 09:18 PM
AJ Hawk has been doing pretty well for himself up in Green Bay

Old Tiger
12-14-2007, 10:49 PM
REggie bush just all around sucks.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
REggie bush just all around sucks.

Oh good lord...Reggie Bush is an incredible athlete and a huge asset to N.O., or any team. To say he "sucks" is ridiculous. Maybe he isn't the best to ever play the game, but he is VERY good. Any team would be happy to have him.

Not to mention the fact that its year TWO of what will probably be a 5-to-10 year career.....come on, man. loosen up.

big daddy russ
12-14-2007, 11:13 PM
I still think he's better than the other top picks... outside of AJ Hawk. In my mind, Hawk's the best player out of that class, but Williams isn't too far behind. And as good as Marques Colston has been, I still think he's got a ways to catch up to those two.

The Texans' coaching staff, especially DL coach Frank Bush, already thought Williams was the key cog in the entire defense last year, and he didn't even record five sacks. They all had extremely high opinions of him.

Basically, they saw what we, as a viewing public don't. He played his assignments well and was among the elite run-stoppers at DE in the entire NFL. Personally, I thought he was better than Reggie Bush from the get-go and held that same opinion at the end of the season, but was iffy on the argument between him and Vince. For all his numerous flaws, Vince had that knack.

Unfortunately, Vince's flaws have been exposed this year and he's regressed. If he doesn't learn how to throw the ball, he'll turn into the next Michael Vick... a QB that can run around all day long because defenses care more about taking away the pass than the run.

Right now, he's number two. Ask me again in a few weeks, and it could very well change.

Old Tiger
12-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Oh good lord...Reggie Bush is an incredible athlete and a huge asset to N.O., or any team. To say he "sucks" is ridiculous. Maybe he isn't the best to ever play the game, but he is VERY good. Any team would be happy to have him.

Not to mention the fact that its year TWO of what will probably be a 5-to-10 year career.....come on, man. loosen up. Reggie Bush only has 15 total touchdowns and IMO that isn't good enough because of the hype he had coming. Is he really an asset to the Saints? They looked better without him than they do with him. They spend more time focusing on their plays instead of time they are spending on practicing Reggie's packages which IMO are not that good.

Old Tiger
12-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I still think he's better than the other top picks... outside of AJ Hawk. In my mind, Hawk's the best player out of that class, but Williams isn't too far behind. And as good as Marques Colston has been, I still think he's got a ways to catch up to those two.

The Texans' coaching staff, especially DL coach Frank Bush, already thought Williams was the key cog in the entire defense last year, and he didn't even record five sacks. They all had extremely high opinions of him.

Basically, they saw what we, as a viewing public don't. He played his assignments well and was among the elite run-stoppers at DE in the entire NFL. Personally, I thought he was better than Reggie Bush from the get-go and held that same opinion at the end of the season, but was iffy on the argument between him and Vince. For all his numerous flaws, Vince had that knack.

Unfortunately, Vince's flaws have been exposed this year and he's regressed. If he doesn't learn how to throw the ball, he'll turn into the next Michael Vick... a QB that can run around all day long because defenses care more about taking away the pass than the run.

Right now, he's number two. Ask me again in a few weeks, and it could very well change. IMO Vince's biggest problem is he gets wrapped up into what the media says. He needs to put that aside and play to his abilities and talents instead of trying to do something he's not.

wimbo_pro
12-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Reggie Bush only has 15 total touchdowns and IMO that isn't good enough because of the hype he had coming. Is he really an asset to the Saints? They looked better without him than they do with him. They spend more time focusing on their plays instead of time they are spending on practicing Reggie's packages which IMO are not that good.

Reggie Bush isnt the problem with the Saints....he is one of their few bright spots this year as they struggle to stay alive.

If you mean Reggie sucks because he hasnt met the hype around him last year...then you have a point. But the same can be said for VY, Mario, AJ, etc. None of them have come into the league and burned it up big time....not yet, anyway. Not like...lets say...Earl Campbell did, right!!!???

wimbo_pro
12-14-2007, 11:47 PM
IMO Vince's biggest problem is he gets wrapped up into what the media says. He needs to put that aside and play to his abilities and talents instead of trying to do something he's not.

Experience is priceless...he will learn this.

Old Tiger
12-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Reggie Bush isnt the problem with the Saints....he is one of their few bright spots this year as they struggle to stay alive.

If you mean Reggie sucks because he hasnt met the hype around him last year...then you have a point. But the same can be said for VY, Mario, AJ, etc. None of them have come into the league and burned it up big time....not yet, anyway. Not like...lets say...Earl Campbell did, right!!!??? Is he? How come he only had 6 touchowns this year prior to getting injured?

Colston and Bree's are the bright spots of that offense.

WylieBulldog92
12-15-2007, 12:29 AM
Mario burned it up big time...he's I think second in sacks....

wimbo_pro
12-15-2007, 12:41 AM
Is he? How come he only had 6 touchowns this year prior to getting injured?

Colston and Bree's are the bright spots of that offense.

I think I can wrap up my position on Bush by simply saying...ANY team would love to have him. PAYING for him is another point, but I think time will prove his worth.

WylieBulldog92
12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I think I can wrap up my position on Bush by simply saying...ANY team would love to have him. PAYING for him is another point, but I think time will prove his worth.
I don't think anyone would complain about having him without his salary and have him as maybe a slot receiver?

g$$
12-15-2007, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Right now, he's number two. Ask me again in a few weeks, and it could very well change.

Good post Russ, but Frank Bush is not the DL Coach. Jethro Franklin is & Bush is a defensive asst. on staff (both former Oiler players too). Bob Karmelowicz & Tracey Simien (Sweeny boy, former NFL player) were replaced by Franklin & Bush. They have worked hard with Mario (as you know) on using his hands more & on pass rush moves. It is working.

g$$
12-15-2007, 05:31 AM
None of them have come into the league and burned it up big time....not yet, anyway. Not like...lets say...Earl Campbell did, right!!!???

Yeah, big Earl did pretty good I would say! Just MVP, ROY, & rushing champ beginning in his 1st year. Gosh he was just that dominant. And he carried the Oilers on his back to 2 AFC Title Games vs. the Steelers.

GoStafford
12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
He's had a span of five or six really good games. I say we give him another year before we crown charlie casserly a genius.

DDBooger
12-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Experience is priceless...he will learn this. like never agree to be on the front of the Madden Game lol yall think perhaps they should put the whole Patriots team on the front of next years madden:p :D

big daddy russ
12-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Good post Russ, but Frank Bush is not the DL Coach. Jethro Franklin is & Bush is a defensive asst. on staff (both former Oiler players too). Bob Karmelowicz & Tracey Simien (Sweeny boy, former NFL player) were replaced by Franklin & Bush. They have worked hard with Mario (as you know) on using his hands more & on pass rush moves. It is working.
My bad. He may not have been d-line coach, but he was working with Mario and the rest of the line over the summer. I always thought he was specifically d-line, but I guess he's somewhere between a DC and d-line coach.

big daddy russ
12-15-2007, 02:47 PM
IMO Vince's biggest problem is he gets wrapped up into what the media says. He needs to put that aside and play to his abilities and talents instead of trying to do something he's not.
I think he's on the right track. He's doing the only thing that will make him an effective NFL QB and the same thing Donovan McNabb did when he first got into the league. If he learns to throw the ball, watch out. Vick had the most amazing legs of any QB who's ever played, and even he had problems taking his team to the next level as a running QB.

There isn't a single NFL team that's scared of his arm right now, so if he can improve his passing, he'll be impossible to contain.

Now it may wind up backfiring. He may never become an elite passer and wind up being the answer to one of the tougher questions on Stump the Schwab (whereas he'd be Michael Vick if he just keeps going down the path he's on), but it seems to me like he's making the necessary adjustments to be more than just a poor man's Vick.

No run-first QB will ever be the NFL's most feared signal caller, so Vince needs to stay away from that like the plague.

Adidas410s
12-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Williams is have a great year this year...but one thing overlooked is how much Amobi Akoye's presence has changed the way that O-line's block Williams. Those two guys together (and especially when they line up next to each other) presents an EXTREMELY tough matchup for an O-line. Throw in Ryans lined up behind them and SOMEBODY is going to have an opportunity to make a play almost every play.

g$$
12-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Williams is have a great year this year...but one thing overlooked is how much Amobi Akoye's presence has changed the way that O-line's block Williams. Those two guys together (and especially when they line up next to each other) presents an EXTREMELY tough matchup for an O-line. Throw in Ryans lined up behind them and SOMEBODY is going to have an opportunity to make a play almost every play.

Okoye has hit the rookie wall - but overall I agree with everything you said. He's a player destined to only get better. Texans keep adding a few more pieces & look out (DB help).