View Full Version : Ware fined $12,500

kepdawg
12-14-2007, 05:26 PM
NFL fines Ware for unnecessary roughness

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: December 14, 2007, 5:01 PM ET

Dallas Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware has been fined $12,500 by the league for a hit against Detroit Lions quarterback Jon Kitna last Sunday that NFL officials determined constituted unnecessary roughness.

It is at least the second such career sanction against Ware, who was fined $5,000 in 2006 for helmet-to-helmet contact against Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell in the second game of the season.

The play for which Ware was fined on Sunday came with 3:29 remaining in the first quarter, when he lifted Kitna and then drove him into the turf at Ford Field after a 10-yard completion on a third-and-8 situation. Ware was flagged for a personal foul and was penalized 13 yards, or half the distance to the goal, moving the ball to the Dallas 13.

The Lions' possession culminated in a 19-yard field goal by Jason Hanson.

Players from both teams were particularly vocal in the days preceding the game. And Dallas cornerback Terence Newman was specifically cautioned in a letter from league vice president Ray Anderson that his threatening comments toward Kitna would earn him close scrutiny from game officials.

It is not yet known if Ware, not regarded as a player who regularly demonstrates excessive force, will appeal the fine. The Cowboys' first-round choice in the 2005 draft, Ware is expected to be a strong candidate for defensive player of the year honors.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3155275)

michaelp23
12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Money well spent.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Phil C
12-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Mr. Ware please behave yourself! Shame!

mustang04
12-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Another move by the NFL towards the wussification of QB's!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
12-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by michaelp23
Money well spent.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yep. You just can't buy that kind of classless act anymore. :rolleyes:

kepdawg
12-14-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Yep. You just can't buy that kind of classless act anymore. :rolleyes:

Yeah, how dare he hit the quarterback! :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
12-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Yeah, how dare he hit the quarterback! :rolleyes:

If it would've been Tony Romo, you'd be on here crying like a
little girl. I saw the hit as it happened. It got flagged then and
everyone in the television audience knew a fine would be
coming. Well, everyone except Cowboy fans.

If Terrence Newman hadn't even opened his mouth, the hit
still would have drawn a league fine.

kepdawg
12-14-2007, 05:46 PM
If it would've been Tony Romo, you'd be on here crying like a
little girl. I saw the hit as it happened. It got flagged then and
everyone in the television audience knew a fine would be
coming. Well, everyone except Cowboy fans.

If Terrence Newman hadn't even opened his mouth, the hit
still would have drawn a league fine.

I don't take the NFL so seriously that I would care what happened to Romo. I don't want the guy getting hurt or anything, but it's no loss to me if he takes a late hit.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2007, 05:50 PM
As as Cowboy Fan I have to say, good fine by the NFL

Ware picked him up and body slammed him

I dont think he was trying to be malicious, but it still warrants a fine

Maroon87
12-14-2007, 05:55 PM
At least he didn't get cheated...it was a pretty solid hit.

Sweetwater Red
12-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
As as Cowboy Fan I have to say, good fine by the NFL

Ware picked him up and body slammed him

I dont think he was trying to be malicious, but it still warrants a fine

I think it was more stupid than it was malicious. Lucky for Dallas
that Detroit's red zone offense sucks. That could've been 7
instead 3 points.

Gobbla2001
12-14-2007, 06:01 PM
With the rules the way they are today I agree he may have been fined without the comments made earlier in the week...

HOWEVER... a running back can be tackled like that and there is no flag... a receiver and be tackled like that and there is no flag... it's not an illegal tackle... he went for the tackle like you're supposed to and brought the guy down... doubt he knew whether or not the ball had been thrown... you finish the job if you're not sure the ball has been thrown... didn't VY get a big play last year because someone didn't finish the tackle (thinking the ball was already thrown)?

to quote the great Gsquared, "That's why they wear pads."

already can't tackle by the collar... defenders will only be allowed to bring opposing players down by the hand pretty soon... or they'll just play flag football...

King_LeYoeNidas
12-14-2007, 06:04 PM
what's the meowing sound?...

At this rate qb's shouldn't even wear pads. If a guy the size of Marion Barber is willing to lower his head, these guys should be bold enough to take a hard hit from time to time.

Sweetwater Red
12-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
With the rules the way they are today I agree he may have been fined without the comments made earlier in the week...

HOWEVER... a running back can be tackled like that and there is no flag... a receiver and be tackled like that and there is no flag... it's not an illegal tackle... he went for the tackle like you're supposed to and brought the guy down... doubt he knew whether or not the ball had been thrown... you finish the job if you're not sure the ball has been thrown... didn't VY get a big play last year because someone didn't finish the tackle (thinking the ball was already thrown)?

already can't tackle by the collar... defenders will only be allowed to bring opposing players down by the hand pretty soon... or they'll just play flag football...

The NFL has to protect

1. The QB after he releases the ball. If they didn't, Peyton Manning,
Tom Brady, Brett Favre, and yes Tony Romo wouldn't make it
past the third week of the season without a significant injury.

2. The kicker. Well, self explanatory. Teams would have to hold
open tryouts after week one.

Gobbla2001
12-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I know you have to protect the QB... and I undestood the penalty... but the NFL had time to review the hit... from what I've seen I don't know how you fine the guy for tackling a guy he thought may still have the ball...

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
It is not the tackle itself, it was how Ware lifted him into the air then dropped him on his back onto the ground

Sweetwater Red
12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
I know you have to protect the QB... and I undestood the penalty... but the NFL had time to review the hit... from what I've seen I don't know how you fine the guy for tackling a guy he thought may still have the ball...

I'll deny this if you tell anyone. I could see a point being made
that he didn't know Kitna had released the ball.

Blowing through him might not have even drawn a flag. I think it
was the manner which he drilled him to the ground that caused
the penalty.

Gobbla2001
12-14-2007, 06:29 PM
oh, I know the way he dropped him is why he was flagged (more like a slam), but that's not flagged on an RB or anything... I undestood the penalty... just my opinion that a fine was not needed...

I undestand your points though...

thewyliefan
12-14-2007, 06:31 PM
i mean come on now....its not like football is a contact :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
12-14-2007, 07:10 PM
The NFL has to protect

1. The QB after he releases the ball. If they didn't, Peyton Manning,
Tom Brady, Brett Favre, and yes Tony Romo wouldn't make it
past the third week of the season without a significant injury. Then how did guys like Namath, Montana, Staubach, and Bradshaw make it past week 3 when they played?

King_LeYoeNidas
12-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Because steroids in football (and baseball...and basketball..and wrestling...and hockey...and the olympics...and water polo....and guitar hero...) weren't nearly as good as they are now!@ Duh! lol

piratebg
12-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I shook my head at first when I saw the replay, but I got over it after a very short while. Kitna had it coming. :p

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I shook my head at first when I saw the replay, but I got over it after a very short while. Kitna had it coming. :p

If Kitna has it coming, then so does Bradie James..because for all the screaming he was doing about what Kitna said..James talked about how bad Farve was in their game earlier

michaelp23
12-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not the tackle itself, it was how Ware lifted him into the air then dropped him on his back onto the ground

Yea, that's what I'm saying, it was awesome! Kitna's got a big mouth. He deserved it!;)

NDFootball
12-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
i mean come on now....its not like football is a contact :rolleyes:

you're right it's not a contact :) it's a contact sport

again he deserved a fine. he completely paused with his facemask in kitna's chest then slammed him down. it was great to see that after the comments kitna made but how can you not expect a fine from that?

thewyliefan
12-14-2007, 09:06 PM
shut up zach you knew what i meant.

NDFootball
12-14-2007, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by thewyliefan
shut up zach you knew what i meant.

No I didn't...you should learn to say your words like a big boy before you put them on a message board. ;) kthxbai

just kiddin buddy

BullsFan
12-14-2007, 11:05 PM
After listening to Kitna mouth off last year, whine this year, stomp and moan his way around the sidelines when his team lost--as they most certainly deserved to do--I have to say this. Given the fact that Kitna suffered no injury whatsoever, it was definitely money well spent. And it's possible DeMarcus Ware may agree. (Wonder if Newman will offer to help him pay it. :) )

NOTE: I'm not saying that I want Ware or anyone else throwing QBs around like hackey sacks. I'm just saying that in this one instance, I personally won't be shedding any tears for poor, mistreated Kitna.

Sweetwater Red
12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Then how did guys like Namath, Montana, Staubach, and Bradshaw make it past week 3 when they played?

In those days, anybody was susceptible to a "clothes line tackle".
It didn't matter if you were on offense or defense. It was kind of
a way for the players protected their own.

But the NFL has evolved so much since then with speed and
athleticism, if some one got a clothes line now, they're getting
carted off the field and into an ambulance.

NDFootball
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by BullsFan
After listening to Kitna mouth off last year, whine this year, stomp and moan his way around the sidelines when his team lost--as they most certainly deserved to do--I have to say this. Given the fact that Kitna suffered no injury whatsoever, it was definitely money well spent. And it's possible DeMarcus Ware may agree. (Wonder if Newman will offer to help him pay it. :) )

NOTE: I'm not saying that I want Ware or anyone else throwing QBs around like hackey sacks. I'm just saying that in this one instance, I personally won't be shedding any tears for poor, mistreated Kitna.

I personally liked when the camera switched over to him every time he started throwing a fit. What a stupid little punk.

BullsFan
12-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball
I personally liked when the camera switched over to him every time he started throwing a fit. What a stupid little punk.

Exactly.

g$$
12-15-2007, 05:44 AM

I'm all for playing football the right way & vicious hits are part of it, but that hit by Ware deserved a fine. He knows the rules.

BTW, horse collars are dangerous & lead to injuries. I expect college football to adopt this rule soon. The offensive player is often defenseless in these deals. You can bring a guy down without horse collaring him.