PDA

View Full Version : Texas State HS Records/ Jacquizz Rodgers...

g$$
12-14-2007, 04:57 PM
We all know Jacquizz Rodgers broke the state record for TDs previously owned by Cuero's Robert Strait. Look where he ranks all-time for the state in rushing yds. Very impressive for a 5'6" 180 lb. dynamo verbally committed to Oregon State where his brother James just finished his freshman year.

Jacquizz Rodgers has 1 more game to play as Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated plays Copperas Cove for the Division 1 4A State Title Sat. night in Round Rock.

All-time TDs = 133 (& counting)
**broke Cuero's Robert Strait's total of 128

Texas Top All-Time Career Rushing Leaders:
1. Kenneth Hall = 11, 232 yds. (Sugar Land 1950-1953)
**National Record**
2. Wes Danaher = 8, 855 yds. (CC Calallen 1992-1995)
3. Rodney Thomas = 8, 441 yds. (Groveton 1987-1990)
4. Cedric Benson = 8, 423 yds. (Midland Lee 1998-2000)
5. Robert Strait = 8, 411 yds. (Cuero 1985-1988)
6. Buddy Hanson = 8, 143 yds. (Tom Bean 2000-2003)
7. Jacquizz Rodgers = 8, 069 yds. & counting (Lamar Consolidated 2004-2007)
8. Bradley Stephens = 7, 803 yds. (McAllen Memorial 2003-2006)
9. Billy Sims = 7, 738 yds. (Hooks 1972-1974)

Few other tidbits on Jacquizz Rodgers:
- uncle is NFL safety Michael Lewis (Lamar Consolidated/Colorado/Philadelphia Eagles)
- played part-time on Varsity as freshman (482 yds. rushing/2 TDs, 14 receptions for 135 yds./1 TD)
- has scored via run, reception, 3 special teams TDs, & 1 passing TD in career = 133 & counting

JT44
12-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Records etched in memory
Strait’s football feats at Cuero not forgotten

December 13, 2007
CUERO – Watching Robert Strait step out of the passenger seat of Carlos Taylor’s truck in the Cuero High School parking lot it’s hard to tell nearly 20 years have passed since he put on a Gobbler uniform.

Strait is 38 but he looks fit enough to strap up his chin strap and take on tacklers like he did when he rushed for 3,515 yards and 52 touchdowns as a junior to lead Cuero to a 16-0 record and the 1987 Class 3A state championship.

But what you see isn’t always what you get from Strait, who at times you want to hug and in some instances think about going upside his head.

“It doesn’t seem like I’ve been out of school for that long or that it’s been 20 years since our last state championship,” Strait said. “It’s good to see this year’s team doing so well. I can remember when I was young, thin and fit. I miss playing the game, the fun and the excitement.”

Whatever Strait has done in the past or does in the future he isn’t likely to be forgotten as the result of what he did during the 1985, ’86, ’87 and ’88 seasons he played for the Gobblers. He completed his Cuero career by rushing for 8,411 yards and 120 touchdowns and helping the Gobblers to make three state final appearances.

“The thing I remember is the team,” Strait said. “We were more like a family. It was being a part of something special that I’ve never been since. It’s a time of life I will remember for the rest of my life. When I see them (his teammates), I can look into their eyes and the bond is still there.”

Strait prefers to live in the moment but he can’t escape the past as he was reminded again this week when Lamar Consolidated running back Jacquizz Rodgers broke his state record of 127 career touchdowns.

“The biggest thing was I didn’t go out to break records,” said Strait, who didn’t even know he held the record. “As long as we won, I was satisfied. Winning takes precedent over touchdowns. People tell me, ‘Robert this is what you did.’ I did what it took for us to win.”

Strait ranks first in career rushing attempts (1,131), second in single-season scoring (372 in 1987), fifth in career rushing yards (8,411), fifth in single-season rushing yards (3,515 in 1987), tied for second in career 100-yard rushing games (41) and tied for fourth in single-season 100-yard rushing games (15 in 1987) in the state record book and eighth in career scoring (841), ninth in single-season scoring (372) and tied for ninth in single-season touchdowns (54 in 1987) in the national record book.

But Strait insists the records pale in comparison to winning the state championship in 1987. He has fond memories of the state final at Memorial Stadium in Austin even though Taylor scored both of Cuero’s touchdowns on passes from Wayne Mathis in the Gobblers’ 14-6 victory over McGregor.

“I think there were about seven times when we had third-and-five and I made a first down,” Strait recalled. “Those third-and-fives that I made felt like touchdowns. It made me feel just as special.”

Strait was the subject of an intense recruiting battle before signing with Baylor. He underwent knee surgery and redshirted his freshman season but enjoyed a productive career with the Bears before leaving the team during the week of the final game of his senior season for reasons he has never disclosed.

Strait spent a short time in camp with the Cleveland Browns before beginning a chapter of his life that included stints in state and federal prison because of convictions on drug possession charges.

“My biggest regret is not fulfilling my potential as an athlete,”Strait said. “Getting in trouble was also a disappointment but you can’t dwell on that stuff. It’s all my own fault I didn’t play 10 years in the NFL. Everybody goes through stuff. I just try to be strong from day to day.”

Strait is living in Cuero and said he is between jobs. He was close to obtaining his bachelor’s degree when he left Baylor and would like to get his degree as an example to his 11-year-old son Reese, who resides in Denton. Strait also promises to do his best to stay out of trouble.

“I played a kid’s game for so long it took a long time for the kid to leave me,” Strait said. “I think I’m an adult now.”

Strait said he didn’t attend the 20-year reunion of Cuero’s state championship team because he developed a virus from a cut he suffered on his hand. He saw this year’s team play at Bay City but he rarely attends games at Gobbler Stadium.

“I walk in and people see me and they want to talk to me,”Strait said. “I go get a drink and some nachos and so many people come up and talk to me that I miss so much of the game. But don’t get me wrong. I’m a Gobbler for life. I pray and hope they win a state title. We’re due.”

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588 or mforman@vicad.com, or comment on this column at www.VictoriaAdvocate.com.

g$$
12-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Robert Strait & I are the same age. I played against him my senior year. Guy was a hoss plain & simple. He could have been so much more without injuries & off-field problems. Barry Switzer was there watching when we played against him. One of the most recruited players in the country. Big, fast & powerful.

Then he went to Baylor...hmm. And was never the same.

g$$
12-16-2007, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by g$$
We all know Jacquizz Rodgers broke the state record for TDs previously owned by Cuero's Robert Strait. Look where he ranks all-time for the state in rushing yds. Very impressive for a 5'6" 180 lb. dynamo verbally committed to Oregon State where his brother James just finished his freshman year.

Jacquizz Rodgers has 1 more game to play as Rosenberg Lamar Consolidated plays Copperas Cove for the Division 1 4A State Title Sat. night in Round Rock.

All-time TDs = 133 (& counting)
**broke Cuero's Robert Strait's total of 128

Texas Top All-Time Career Rushing Leaders:
1. Kenneth Hall = 11, 232 yds. (Sugar Land 1950-1953)
**National Record**
2. Wes Danaher = 8, 855 yds. (CC Calallen 1992-1995)
3. Rodney Thomas = 8, 441 yds. (Groveton 1987-1990)
4. Cedric Benson = 8, 423 yds. (Midland Lee 1998-2000)
5. Robert Strait = 8, 411 yds. (Cuero 1985-1988)
6. Buddy Hanson = 8, 143 yds. (Tom Bean 2000-2003)
7. Jacquizz Rodgers = 8, 069 yds. & counting (Lamar Consolidated 2004-2007)
8. Bradley Stephens = 7, 803 yds. (McAllen Memorial 2003-2006)
9. Billy Sims = 7, 738 yds. (Hooks 1972-1974)

Few other tidbits on Jacquizz Rodgers:
- uncle is NFL safety Michael Lewis (Lamar Consolidated/Colorado/Philadelphia Eagles)
- played part-time on Varsity as freshman (482 yds. rushing/2 TDs, 14 receptions for 135 yds./1 TD)
- has scored via run, reception, 3 special teams TDs, & 1 passing TD in career = 133 & counting

Updated after State Title game:
Jacquizz Rodgers ran 31 times for 240 yards and three touchdowns, concluding his prep career with 8,246 rushing yards and a state-record 135 total touchdowns.

That puts him 6th all-time in rushing yards & the all-time leader in TDs (135) for career in the state of Texas. Great career kid. Best of luck too as you continue at Oregon State.