PDA

View Full Version : Great Opening on You Tube!

Phil C
12-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Go to You Tube and search for Once Upon a Time in the West - Opening Scene. This 1968 Sergio Leone western starred Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson and Jason Robards. The opening scene is based on a Billy the Kid legend. I was told this story when I was at the El Paso conference. You will probably need to see the clip to understand this story on which this part of the movie was based.
What happened is that the train to El Paso pulled into a water depot about 30 miles from El Paso. There was a small town about ten miles from the depot north of the tracks. Billy the Kid rode the train there and his friend that was staying at that town was to meet him with a horse. But the friend got drunk the night before. Three would be gunman found out who he was to meet and wanting to have a reputation they got the Kid's friend drunk and then rode out to meet the Kid while his friend was passed out drunk. When the train arrived they were hiding to ambush the Kid. However the Kid saw one of them and didn't get off the train at first when it stopped for water. When the Kid didn't get off the three would be gunmen gave up and got together and were walking to their horses. The Kid got off on the opposite side as the train rode away. The three men realized they were tricked. The leader of the men said "Your friend is sick this morning and couldn't make it."
The Kid asked "Did he send you?"
The Leader said "No he passed out before he could do anything."
The Kid asked "Did you bring me a horse?"
The Leader said "No, and we only have three horses. So it looks like you are out of luck"
The Kid said "Why no. You brought two too many."
The three then went for their guns but in a flash the Kid drew and shot down all three.

A fantastic story indeed which adds more to the legend of Billy the Kid.