PDA

View Full Version : Astros/Tejada/steriod use

Old QB
12-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Due to the Mitchell report, what effect will this have on astro fans & their acceptance of him? Do you think the trade has been tainted? If he plays well, do you think all will be forgotten by next October?

3afan
12-13-2007, 03:49 PM
none

Adidas410s
12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
it's in the past...there is little to nothing that MLB can do because there was no policy in place at the time

Panther One
12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
The Astros fans have cheered Steroid users in the past. Does it make a difference now that you know they were a once user?

Caminiti: Admitted
Clemens, Pettitte, Villone, Zaun: All named in the Mitchell report
Bagwell: Most people suspect he was a user.

The biggest question I have is will Clemens now be viewed in the same light as Barry Bonds. Now you have the best hitter and best pitcher of the modern era both linked to steroid usage. Will the fans be calling for asterisks next to all of the Rocket's records?

JasperDog94
12-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
it's in the past...there is little to nothing that MLB can do because there was no policy in place at the time There's been a policy against the use of steroids since 91 if ESPN is to be believed.

Old QB
12-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Good question Panther One about Clemens. It'll be interesting to see how he answers to these accusations. Also, I wonder if Drayton will still be interested in hiring him to work with the young pitchers?

sahen
12-13-2007, 05:34 PM
astros fans have cheered steriod users in the past when they did not know they were doing steriods....its a little different when now you know the guy cheated for sure and is out there playing...we will see what happens...

crzyjournalist03
12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
makes you wonder if the Astros knew what was coming and rushed the trade so that they could say that he was acquired prior to their knowledge of his involvement as the organization tries to save face while talking out both sides of its mouth at the same time.

sahen
12-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
makes you wonder if the Astros knew what was coming and rushed the trade so that they could say that he was acquired prior to their knowledge of his involvement as the organization tries to save face while talking out both sides of its mouth at the same time.

i'd bet more on the side that drayton and company were oblivious to it and the orioles knew and got rid of him asap when the astros came calling, dragged them along until yesterday and said ok, this is the best we can get lets unload him.....the astros have been trying to get tejada for a while and the orioles even supposedly axed a trade that involved oswalt (reported by baltimore, not houston so who knows) for him but now they get rid of him the day before the report for a bunch of unproven guys (albeit talented)....i think the orioles may have been in the know here....

p.s....the astros are fools if they didnt put some kind of mitchell clause in that agreement, cause if Selig decides to go nuts and suspend all these guys we are screwed big time....even if he doesnt and we go back and veto the deal then we are screwed cause we already lost everett and have no shortstop...this deal is looking like a nightmare...

big daddy russ
12-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i'd bet more on the side that drayton and company were oblivious to it and the orioles knew and got rid of him asap when the astros came calling, dragged them along until yesterday and said ok, this is the best we can get lets unload him.....the astros have been trying to get tejada for a while and the orioles even supposedly axed a trade that involved oswalt (reported by baltimore, not houston so who knows) for him but now they get rid of him the day before the report for a bunch of unproven guys (albeit talented)....i think the orioles may have been in the know here....

p.s....the astros are fools if they didnt put some kind of mitchell clause in that agreement, cause if Selig decides to go nuts and suspend all these guys we are screwed big time....even if he doesnt and we was to go back and veto the deal then we are screwed cause we already lost everett and have no shortstop...this deal is looking like a nightmare...
You're a smart man.

sahen
12-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
You're a smart man.

unfortunately, i said something about this the other day w/ Tejada and the Mitchell report...i dunno if it was here or the baylor board, or another one...i cant remember...i didnt like the trade even if he wasnt named on the Mitchell report but this is just getting ugly for the astros now....heck, the way houston is Drayton is likely to have Houston booing Tejada, not to mention the booing he will get on the road....