PDA

View Full Version : Why are steroids such a big deal....

Emerson1
12-13-2007, 02:20 PM
in baseball but not in football? Shawn Merriman was suspended 4 games last year for using them, but people were still putting him up for defensive MVP.

LH Panther Mom
12-13-2007, 02:25 PM
IMO, they should be treated the same, regardless of the sport.

Daddy D 11
12-13-2007, 02:26 PM
or they should be legalized :crazy1:

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 02:37 PM
i say if you get busted go to jail.

Daddy D 11
12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
i agree, i think its crazy that a person on the street with them gets jail time. but a athlete that is making someone, somewhere money is allowed to basically get off free. Jail time is the answer

Emerson1
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Why are they even illegal? If someone wants to get big let them get big. Leave it up to the leagues to make them against the rule, not waste court time on it.

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Why are they even illegal? If someone wants to get big let them get big. Leave it up to the leagues to make them against the rule, not waste court time on it.

can we legalize it all??

if so...heck why not....opens up some jail cells.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
can we legalize it all??

if so...heck why not....opens up some jail cells.

I have always believed that the war on drugs is an endless waste of a TON of money that honestly will never truly work

Legalize it and TAX the heck out of it..HARSH penalties for anyone selling to a minor

Funny we are in a country known for its freedom, yet a person does not have the choice to do what they want to their body

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I have always believed that the war on drugs is an endless waste of a TON of money that honestly will never truly work

Legalize it and TAX the heck out of it..HARSH penalties for anyone selling to a minor

Funny we are in a country known for its freedom, yet a person does not have the choice to do what they want to their body

i totally agree.

hawkfan
12-13-2007, 02:57 PM

According to that philosophy marajuana, crack ,coke, heroin, LSD etc. should be legalized

Sweetwater Red
12-13-2007, 02:59 PM

Would you want to run across someone who has been up for
a week on a crystal meth binge and is out of money?:thinking:

Emerson1
12-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan
According to that philosophy marajuana, crack ,coke, heroin, LSD etc. should be legalized
I think there is a difference between doing something that makes your bench go up, and something that makes your weight go down 100 lbs and kill you. Steroids are obviously easier to handle, how many pro sports players are going psycho and having short ended careers and going into rehab? Not many. Now look at Lindsey Lohan and other celebrities on drugs.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Would you want to run across someone who has been up for
a week on a crystal meth binge and is out of money?:thinking:

that can happen now

If it becomes legal, means the blackmarket will erode..means even with a high tax, the prices will drop meaning someone who wants to will be able to find it for a cheaper price than now on the street

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 03:04 PM
I think there is a difference between doing something that makes your bench go up, and something that makes your weight go down 100 lbs and kill you. Steroids are obviously easier to handle, how many pro sports players are going psycho and having short ended careers and going into rehab? Not many. Now look at Lindsey Lohan and other celebrities on drugs.

pro wrestling comes to mind. ****ROID RAGE****

i would me much more affraid of a 250 lb rocked up dude than a 90 lb crack head.

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
that can happen now

If it becomes legal, means the blackmarket will erode..means even with a high tax, the prices will drop meaning someone who wants to will be able to find it for a cheaper price than now on the street

you can go get a "J" and a lotto ticket.....oh and some chee toes :)

rockdale80
12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by hawkfan

And you shouldnt have to wear a seat belt either. Who are you hurting?

:D

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Before Tony there was another Romo...Romanowski-read up on him. Chris Benoit is another excellent example of increasing your bench max. C'mon, besides the extreme examples think of the physical side effects steroids create for men....no a PRODUCTIVE undertaking if you know wha I mean.

Emerson1
12-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Well in that case bring back Prohibition

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 03:19 PM

if they do...i will start to make me some moon shine :)

big daddy russ
12-13-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
pro wrestling comes to mind. ****ROID RAGE****

i would me much more affraid of a 250 lb rocked up dude than a 90 lb crack head.
I've been in a fight with a 90-lb crack head. I've never met someone who took as much abuse as that guy.

I honestly could care less about steroids and firmly believe that pot's a safer drug than alcohol. Not much I can do about it, so I think I'll just drink to having a good life.

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 03:25 PM

Really, that's the best you got? Prohibition?

Well, okay, I liked the clothes and shoes better back then anyway!

lynx_rufus
12-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Yeah, let's be more tollerant. Let's just become a nation without laws. Anything goes. No Limits. :rolleyes:

I mean really, we are just a bunch of overly evolved beasts that really can't control ourselves. So why do we care?

I say, "Let's just let natural selection run its course." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Heck, let's even allow our women vote and control the check book. :doh:

That is sarcasm if anyone can't gleen it.

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by lynx_rufus
Yeah, let's be more tollerant. Let's just become a nation without laws. Anything goes. No Limits. :rolleyes:

I mean really, we are just a bunch of overly evolved beasts that really can't control ourselves. So why do we care?

I say, "Let's just let natural selection run its course." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Heck, let's even allow our women vote and control the check book. :doh:

That is sarcasm if anyone can't gleen it.

WHAT! I can VOTE!?!

raider red 2000
12-13-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I've been in a fight with a 90-lb crack head. I've never met someone who took as much abuse as that guy.

I honestly could care less about steroids and firmly believe that pot's a safer drug than alcohol. Not much I can do about it, so I think I'll just drink to having a good life.

cheers to that

themsu97
12-13-2007, 03:36 PM
we have rationalized way to much and we are accepting drugs as a norm... looking alot like the Roman Empire... the decay of America from within...

3afan
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by lynx_rufus
... women ... control the check book. ...

thats not a law already? :confused:

dang ...

Aesculus gilmus
12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
Kudos to Txbroadcaster for well-reasoned analysis of the situation.

It'll never happen, though, because the "war on drugs" and its concomitant "prison-industrial complex" is big business, employing millions in the "law enforcement community" including thousands of criminal defense attorneys.

Around here, they round up "the usual suspects" from time to time, put 'em on trial and defense attorneys make enough off the court appointments to put their kids through college and/or buy a new Lexus.

I will even admit to you that occasionally a former Gilmer Buckeye or two has been known to be caught up in the dragnet and has to appear in a different kind of lineup.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Kudos to Txbroadcaster for well-reasoned analysis of the situation.

It'll never happen, though, because the "war on drugs" and its concomitant "prison-industrial complex" is big business, employing millions in the "law enforcement community" including thousands of criminal defense attorneys.

Around here, they round up "the usual suspects" from time to time, put 'em on trial and defense attorneys make enough off the court appointments to put their kids through college and/or buy a new Lexus.

I will even admit to you that occasionally a former Gilmer Buckeye or two has been known to be caught up in the dragnet and has to appear in a different kind of lineup.

Yep ur right..and dont forget the part big tobacoo play in all this

If back in the olden days it was Weed and Cocaine that was the crash crop in the colonies and NOT tobaco, then I promise you THOSE wold be the legal drugs and not smoking and dipping.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-13-2007, 04:53 PM

I agree, people should be able to do whatever they want to their own bodies. I don't support selling drugs to kids and stuff but if your 18 or older than you should have the right to do what you want to your body even though it's harmful.

kaorder1999
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
im just a big fan of following what the law says when it comes to illegal drugs....

big daddy russ
12-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Yep ur right..and dont forget the part big tobacoo play in all this

If back in the olden days it was Weed and Cocaine that was the crash crop in the colonies and NOT tobaco, then I promise you THOSE wold be the legal drugs and not smoking and dipping.
I saw an interesting documentary on the history of marijuana here in the United States. Apparently, marijuana originally became taboo because hemp was cutting into cotton farmers' profits as a great source for textiles. It was downhill from there, and was finally made illegal in the early-1900's (I want to say the 30's).

Ranger Mom
12-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I saw an interesting documentary on the history of marijuana here in the United States. Apparently, marijuana originally became taboo because hemp was cutting into cotton farmers' profits as a great source for textiles. It was downhill from there, and was finally made illegal in the early-1900's (I want to say the 30's).

The 1937 Marijuana Tax Act:p

75009Football
12-13-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by CelinaProud
WHAT! I can VOTE!?!

Not yet!!!

75009Football
12-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
I agree, people should be able to do whatever they want to their own bodies. I don't support selling drugs to kids and stuff but if your 18 or older than you should have the right to do what you want to your body even though it's harmful.

Let's say it's not harmful, but helps get you healed faster than those who do not chose to take it. I had surgery that most pitchers dont want to have. Takes 6-8 months to recover. Two weeks after it I had a migrane and was in the ER. Got some roids and anti inflammatories to cut down on the swelling of the blood vessels in the head to get rid of the migrane. Two weeks later in PT for the shoulder the therapists said he might see an 18 year old respond like this after this surgery. I could move the shoulder in all kinds of directions. Finally figured it was the stuff from the ER.

When it wore off, my bubble burst and I was back to my 45 YO body. Shed a tear for me will ya. But I gotta say the stuff works. I lost some pounds doin nothing but watching Bones, House, and the Military Channel. Gained a few pimples. And had my wife mad at me the whole time.

catdaddy
12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
There is no clear-cut answer which is why there is so much debate and opinions so I'll just toss mine out there as well.

First, I vigorously oppose any P.E.S. (performance enhancing substance) for ANYONE under 18. The medical research on this is cut and dry.
With that said, if someone were to offer you a job that could pay between $500K and $5 million but you needed to be a little stronger or a little faster, how many of you would turn it down?:crazy:
The gap between pro athletes and wish-they-were-pro's is but a few tenths of a second or 40-50 lbs in strength. As long as it is illegal, I can't agree with it's usage (render unto Ceasar) but I can empathize with those having to decide on whether or not to use them.
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/musik/music-smiley-005.gifAs a musician, I am well aware of the rampant use of a plethora (yes, a plethora) of illegal substances. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-027.gifWhere is the government trying to clean up that entertainment industry?
And by the way, how has hockey managed to skirt the scrutiny?:thinking:

Buckeye1980
12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I guess anyone who wants drugs legal has never been on the other side , I have , I am in law enforcement ...I know the stories how making it legal will decrease the desire ., the end of prohibtion did not do that for alcohol. I have seen first hand , all too often what drugs have done to people's lives, and steroids are drugs . Drugs changes the mindset of people , leading to danger for people, to death ...do want yhat for you ? you family? your friends ? When you change the mindset of people , you change society, I pray to God every night that it is not too late to save society as we know . I am off my soapbox for now ...I have work to do ....someone else ...somewhere in Texas has just died because our obsession with doing whatever we want to do with OUR body.......GOD BLESS

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by catdaddy
There is no clear-cut answer which is why there is so much debate and opinions so I'll just toss mine out there as well.

First, I vigorously oppose any P.E.S. (performance enhancing substance) for ANYONE under 18. The medical research on this is cut and dry.
With that said, if someone were to offer you a job that could pay between $500K and $5 million but you needed to be a little stronger or a little faster, how many of you would turn it down?:crazy:
The gap between pro athletes and wish-they-were-pro's is but a few tenths of a second or 40-50 lbs in strength. As long as it is illegal, I can't agree with it's usage (render unto Ceasar) but I can empathize with those having to decide on whether or not to use them.
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/musik/music-smiley-005.gifAs a musician, I am well aware of the rampant use of a plethora (yes, a plethora) of illegal substances. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/cool/cool-smiley-027.gifWhere is the government trying to clean up that entertainment industry?
And by the way, how has hockey managed to skirt the scrutiny?:thinking:

As to the entertainment industry, c'mon big fella, why would the government want to closet that much income available for taxing by regulating all the fun and stimulation?

As to hockey, I actually worked for Hicks et all, Stars & Rangers, for years, and IMO it's because professional hockey has not been as "embraced" on a national (US) level for as long as baseball, or even football. Like it or not it's a northern sport (Canada, Sweden, Soviet Union...oh, ok, Michigan) that only found it's southern footing in the 90's. The popularity of hockey is still somewhat under the radar. Why do you think Jones can get a ...is it $15-$30K fee for season tickets at the new stadium? Even right after the AA opened, Hicks wasn't asking near that, and when we we did up the prices (though no where near Cowboys), fan fall off was so great, we lowered them if not immediately, within a year. I say it's all supply and demand, on both sides of the coin.

TxAthlete
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Roids or anything of the like should be illegal in anything competative. Allowing them would eventually be the demise of all sports, due to the different side effects. Along with this, anyone who doesn't use steroids would be at an unbelievable disadvantage physically. Thereby forcing everyone who wanted to have a chance at competing to use them.

For a country that love our sports so much, im surprised how many people actually support the use of them....:dispntd:

Aesculus gilmus
12-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I guess anyone who wants drugs legal has never been on the other side , I have , I am in law enforcement ...

A society which has too many laws winds up being a society of scofflaws. There is too much hypocrisy in terms of what's "legal" and "illegal" and that's another reason there's no respect for the "war on (some) drugs."

It all depends on whether one values order over freedom or not.

America used to be a relatively free country compared to today. Now it's all about order and security.

Jefferson saw this coming. He said only a well-educated citizenry would be responsible enough to govern itself. The citizenry have really been "dumbed down" over the last 40 or so years, so maybe we WILL have to have an authoritarian police state from now on in order to stave off a total breakdown of civilization.

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by TxAthlete
Roids or anything of the like should be illegal in anything competative. Allowing them would eventually be the demise of all sports, due to the different side effects. Along with this, anyone who doesn't use steroids would be at an unbelievable disadvantage physically. Thereby forcing everyone who wanted to have a chance at competing to use them.

For a country that love our sports so much, im surprised how many people actually support the use of them....:dispntd:
Great post

catdaddy
12-13-2007, 06:44 PM
As to the entertainment industry, c'mon big fella, why would the government want to closet that much income available for taxing by regulating all the fun and stimulation?

But they are "closeting" income from baseball and football. Again, I don't condone the usage of drugs or anything illegal but how full were the ballparks during McGuire's homerun record chase? (or Bonds) Fans pay to see athletes that produce results whether as a team or individually.
I understand your point on hockey's popularity but if we're going to investigate, let's go all out.

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 06:55 PM
But they are "closeting" income from baseball and football. Again, I don't condone the usage of drugs or anything illegal but how full were the ballparks during McGuire's homerun record chase? (or Bonds) Fans pay to see athletes that produce results whether as a team or individually.
I understand your point on hockey's popularity but if we're going to investigate, let's go all out.

That's thoughtful and intelligent. Truthfully, the best I can offer, is that I feel the "crackdown" on drugs is for show, be that with sports, entertainment or whathaveyou. I do feel our government responds as society demands to the waywardness of its population.

There are an abundant amount of folks willing to overlook or encourage bad behavior (ie. illegal drug use) to create a sensation (sports or entertainment) and thus a revenue stream therein. Perhaps the answer is not in governmental administration but instead in the culture that surrounds those creating the buzz.

With entertainment you have rows upon rows of protective covering, starting with publicist and ending with movie-house CEO's. I wont say that sports figures are any less protected, but perhaps because we draw on our youth directly, and almost always and only, for this form of adulation to continue, its administration has a somewhat more "conservative" center that says, THIS AINT RIGHT! Thus, governmental action is called for more readily than within the entertainment arena. Or not?

catdaddy
12-13-2007, 07:09 PM
perhaps because we draw on our youth directly, and almost always and only, for this form of adulation to continue, its administration has a somewhat more "conservative" center that says, THIS AINT RIGHT!

Well said. Most parents of those kids involved in recreational drugs are either oblivious, naive or simply apathetic. They are highly unlikely to call for a major house cleaning.:dispntd:

CelinaProud
12-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Well said. Most parents of those kids involved in recreational drugs are either oblivious, naive or simply apathetic. They are highly unlikely to call for a major house cleaning.:dispntd:

I agree with that completely. I just finished counseling in the public school system, and good grief! It upsets me to no end.

However, I think it's not the parental unit in either the entertainment or sports culture that is calling for change. Sadly, many of these parental facades are basking in the glow of the money their kids makes.
I think though, having a little history in the sports field, there is a grouping of "concerned citizens" that the entertainment industry must lack completely.

Of course, I've never worked with the entertainment industry, so I am just hypothesizing.

STANG RED
12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye1980
I guess anyone who wants drugs legal has never been on the other side , I have , I am in law enforcement ...I know the stories how making it legal will decrease the desire ., the end of prohibtion did not do that for alcohol. I have seen first hand , all too often what drugs have done to people's lives, and steroids are drugs . Drugs changes the mindset of people , leading to danger for people, to death ...do want yhat for you ? you family? your friends ? When you change the mindset of people , you change society, I pray to God every night that it is not too late to save society as we know . I am off my soapbox for now ...I have work to do ....someone else ...somewhere in Texas has just died because our obsession with doing whatever we want to do with OUR body.......GOD BLESS
As I was reading all the posts I was trying to come up with the best way to say how I feel about this issue, then I ran across this post. Great Post Buckeye1980! I cant say it any better and probably not nearly as good as what you did, so I'll just let your words spreak for me as well.
Better wise up soon America! One of these days in the near future it's going to be too late, and your ultra liberal way of thinking now wont seem nearly so smart anymore.

block&tackle
12-13-2007, 08:04 PM
As to why an athlete gets punished by their league but not by the law - that is a 5th Ammendment issue. They can force you to take drug tests as a term of your employment but they can't hand those results over to the law. The law has to have grounds for testing you - they cannot do it randomly.

espn1
12-13-2007, 08:49 PM
If You were a secretary and made $30,000 a year and found a special pill that would increase your earnings to $1,000,000 a year, would you take it?

Diocletian
12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
They inspire many younger athletes to gain a competitive edge from using them, and what happens is they for the most part ABUSE them and end up dead before the age of 21.

They are a big deal because they kill people.

ASUFrisbeeStud
12-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by espn1
If You were a secretary and made $30,000 a year and found a special pill that would increase your earnings to $1,000,000 a year, would you take it?

If it didn't affect my health then I would.