PDA

View Full Version : Houston hires Kevin Sumlin as their HC

Adidas410s
12-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Houston Cougars has hired Oklahoma Sooners co-offensive coordinator Kevin Sumlin as its head coach, a person told of the decision said Thursday morning.

Sumlin would replace Art Briles, who resigned Nov. 28 to take the top job at Baylor.

Sumlin has been Oklahoma's co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach for the past two seasons, after three seasons as specials teams and tight ends coach.

Sumlin was assistant head coach and offensive coordinator for two years at Texas A&M; he also has coached at Purdue, Minnesota, Wyoming and Washington State.

Sumlin will be the eighth minority college football coach in the former Division I-A. Sumlin, 43, was a linebacker at Purdue from 1983 to 1986.

Other candidates considered by Houston included Notre Dame offensive coordinator Mike Haywood and former Houston coach Jack Pardee.

Joe Schad reports on college football for ESPN.

Macarthur
12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Good for him. I know the Aggies really wanted him for OC.

Adidas410s
12-13-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Good for him. I know the Aggies really wanted him for OC.
Wouldn't that have been a lateral (or more likely a backwards) move for him???

Macarthur
12-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wouldn't that have been a lateral (or more likely a backwards) move for him???

I don't think so because he is not the sole OC at OU. He is the co-offensive coordinator and passing game coordinator.

I've also read that he and his wife really enjoyed their time in College Station/Texas.

Chopblock
12-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Kevin is a great person, that is a good move for U of H

TexanFan4Life
12-13-2007, 06:00 PM
I like Sumlin as a coach and am glad he got an opportunity like this.

Question: Dave Maggert said he likes to play 'spread out football'. Does Sumlin run that kind of offense? Or is he going to implement a new type of offense?

Whatever he does, I just hope he uses a PLAYBOOK.

WylieBulldog92
12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Will he coach the bowl game or no?

TexanFan4Life
12-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
Will he coach the bowl game or no?

Coaches hired at this time rarely, if ever, coach bowl games. Maggert has already named an interim HC for the Bowl.