PDA

View Full Version : Washington State Sues Cooper High School

NDFootball
12-12-2007, 11:07 PM
I just saw on the news where Washington State University is going to sue Abilene Cooper High School if they continue using the cougar logo for their school. Wow.

STANG RED
12-12-2007, 11:10 PM
OMG! How can Cooper using the same logo as Washington State possibly do any harm to them.
I hope this becomes a PR nightmare for WSU and they come out looking like the fools they are.

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
All most HS haveto do is contact the college and ask for permission..some might charge, but most dont

NDFootball
12-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
OMG! How can Cooper using the same logo as Washington State possibly do any harm to them.
I hope this becomes a PR nightmare for WSU and they come out looking like the fools they are.

I find it crazy of all places they look to find a school in Abilene, Texas to sue for using the same logo as them.

Blitzkrieg
12-12-2007, 11:19 PM
http://pieni.net/u/moira/pics/retard.jpg

STANG RED
12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
All most HS haveto do is contact the college and ask for permission..some might charge, but most dont

Cooper has been using that logo for as long as I can remember and I'm 47. Why is this coming up now???

NDFootball
12-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Cooper has been using that logo for as long as I can remember and I'm 47. Why is this coming up now???

Everyone is lawsuit happy these days =]

lakers
12-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Here is the abilene reporter news write up on it...

Cooper logo (http://www.reporternews.com/news/2007/dec/12/no-headline---cooper/)

SWMustang
12-12-2007, 11:44 PM
The Woodlands High School was threatened by the University of Wisconsin to ditch their "W". I remember reading about another school who had to get rid of the "U" on their helmets due to pressure from Miami. It's happened before.

Adidas410s
12-12-2007, 11:45 PM
Washington State hasn't used the logo that Cooper uses since 1967 according to the Helmet Project site.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/

Panther One
12-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Missouri threatened A&M Consolidated with a lawsuit a couple of years ago if they didn't change their Tiger logo, so Consol complied and changed it.

STANG RED
12-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Texas States bobcat logo is also very similar to this one. Wonder if they'll be coming after them next?

sahen
12-13-2007, 12:09 AM
i hope purdue doesnt come after liberty...they have identical uniforms....but they should already know that, they recruited a kid outa liberty a while back...he couldve just brought his highschool jersery and helmet to college and no one wouldve known....

i wonderif the cowboys sued my old highschool, their uniforms were very similar for my highschools whole existance up until a couple years back...now we look like rutgers except our primary color is blue not red (the white R on a blue instead of red helmet)....

these colleges are really full of themselves though if they are suing a team 1000 miles away for using their uniforms...what happened to imitation being flattering anyway? its not like someone is going to confuse the highschool squad in abilene for the washington state cougars, though some years the highschool squad might actually beat Wazzu....

Panther One
12-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Dayton's uniforms and helmets are exactly like the Colts...perhaps the NFL teams should start filing lawsuits.

SWMustang
12-13-2007, 12:32 AM
[i]

these colleges are really full of themselves though if they are suing a team 1000 miles away for using their uniforms...what happened to imitation being flattering anyway? its not like someone is going to confuse the highschool squad in abilene for the washington state cougars, though some years the highschool squad might actually beat Wazzu.... [/B]

That's what I thought - and worst case, is it really all that bad for Wisconsin to have a similar (if not identical) logo on the back of every Lexus, Mercedes and BMW in The Woodlands?

sahen
12-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Dayton's uniforms and helmets are exactly like the Colts...perhaps the NFL teams should start filing lawsuits.

true, except they are purple....

in Cleveland they are the Cleveland Indians (like the baseball team, not kidding) but their logo is the same as the Washington Redskins....

also, Clear Lake used to have the same Logo as the Atlana Falcons with a similar color scheme, i am not sure what they are using now but that was their logo when i was in highschool (99-03)

thewyliefan
12-13-2007, 02:51 AM
people up north need to find some hobbies

navscanmaster
12-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Any judge with balls will throw this crap right out of court. ACHS' logo doesn't say Washington State on it, so why bother. And mostly any money made, which is nano in comparison to what WSU makes off their own merchandising, goes toward school booster clubs anyhow. I don't see how the colleges that are doing this aren't suffering from bad PR. I live very close to College Station, so the A&M Consolidated logo issue awhile back was a hot issue in town, but instead of fighting, they changed the logo anyhow and had to spend a few bucks while they were at it repainting all the logos (football field, b-ball court to name a few), replacing metal/plastic signs around the campus, and getting all new stickers for football helmets and other related equipment. Local retail had to pull all the old apparel from their shelves also. Like a Maroon and White tiger (which albeit was close in design to the Mizzou tiger) would make anybody think about the Black and Yellow of Missouri.

Old Tiger
12-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I'm glad Towson didn't sew Rockdale when I was a junior and senior for our logo

Sweetwater Red
12-13-2007, 09:12 AM
The Lubbock Cooper Pirates have replica uniforms of the
Tampa Bucs. The Brownwood Lions have the Detroit Lion on
their helmets. Gilmer has Green Bay's "G". All kinds of high
schools have Michigan Wolverine helmets. Just in different colors.
I wonder if they're next?:thinking: :rolleyes:

STANG RED
12-13-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm not even a Cooper grad and have never been a fan, but this upsets me. Now I am even getting more upset at the Abilene ISD than Washington State. Apparently they are just tucking their tails and going to take all this lying down instead of fighting it. This really pisses me off good. What kind of message are they sending to present and future Cooper students? Instead of yelling fight fight fight at pep rallies and games, are they going to be yelling dont fight dont fight dont fight? This is not the American way, and certainly isnt the Texan way. At least stand up and fight the good fight and go down in a blaze of glory if you lose. At least you'd still have your self respect intact at the end. Shame on you Abilene ISD for being such pansies! Your getting steam rolled, and apparently you deserve it. What a bunch of sissys!!!

Adidas410s
12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Any judge with balls will throw this crap right out of court. ACHS' logo doesn't say Washington State on it, so why bother. And mostly any money made, which is nano in comparison to what WSU makes off their own merchandising, goes toward school booster clubs anyhow. I don't see how the colleges that are doing this aren't suffering from bad PR. I live very close to College Station, so the A&M Consolidated logo issue awhile back was a hot issue in town, but instead of fighting, they changed the logo anyhow and had to spend a few bucks while they were at it repainting all the logos (football field, b-ball court to name a few), replacing metal/plastic signs around the campus, and getting all new stickers for football helmets and other related equipment. Local retail had to pull all the old apparel from their shelves also. Like a Maroon and White tiger (which albeit was close in design to the Mizzou tiger) would make anybody think about the Black and Yellow of Missouri.

Welcome to the world of trademarks..

Old Green
12-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Around 10 years ago the creators of Superman filed suit against the Schulenberg High School for using the Superman logo on their helmets.
The school changed to just a plain "S" for a few years, but have now gone back to using the Superman logo. I guess they got it resolved somehow.