PDA

View Full Version : Jerry played middleman for Hogs, Petrino

kepdawg
12-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Jerry played middleman for Hogs, Petrino
4:21 PM Wed, Dec 12, 2007 | Permalink
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Former Arkansas AD Frank Broyles told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that Jerry Jones played a key role in getting Bobby Petrino to become the head Hog.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank isn't pleased about the situation, but he's perturbed with Petrino, not Jones. Blank confirmed that Jerry contacted him about Petrino on behalf of Arkansas.

Jerry played for the Razorbacks back in the day and has been a big-money booster for some time, so his heart certainly could have prompted him to get involved. His assistance in the matter might also put a few more pennies in his bank account. A&M is ready to roll on a six-to-eight-year deal with Arkansas to play at JerryWorld, but the Hogs haven't crossed the i's and dotted the t's on the contract. Reckon that ought to happen real quick now.

LINK (http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/12/jerry_played_middleman_for_hogs_petrino.html)

Maroon87
12-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I guess it isn't tampering if Blank gave JJ permission?:thinking:

g$$
12-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I guess it isn't tampering if Blank gave JJ permission?:thinking:

I know it's his alma mater, but due to his position in NFL, seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Petrino is worthless as a human being. He has signed 3 contracts in the last 2 years (Louisville, Atlanta, ARK). Flirted with Auburn too. No morals or scruples anymore. Whatever happened to a man's word?

boudreaux
12-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Bobby Petrino Coaching History

Dec. 11, 2007 – Head Coach - Arkansas

2007 – Head Coach – Atlanta Falcons (NFL)

2003-06 – Head Coach – Louisville

2002 – Offensive Coordinator – Auburn

2001 – Offensive Coordinator – Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL)

1999-2000 – Quarterbacks Coach – Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL)

1998 – Offensive Coordinator - Louisville

1995-97 – Offensive Coordinator – Utah State

1994 – Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach – Nevada

1992-93 – Quarterbacks Coach – Arizona State

1990-91 – Offensive Coordinator – Idaho

1989 – Quarterbacks Coach - Idaho

1987-88 – Wide Receivers/Tight Ends Coach – Weber State

1985-86 – Offensive Coordinator – Carroll College (NAIA)

1984 – Graduate Assistant Quarterbacks Coach – Weber State

1983 – Graduate Assistant Coach – Carroll College (NAIA)

Head Coaching Records

2007 – Atlanta Falcons (NFL) – 3-10

2006 – Louisville – 12-1 (Big East champion; Orange Bowl, def. No. 12 Wake Forest, 24-13; No. 6 in final AP poll)

2005 – Louisville – 9-3 (Gator Bowl, L to No. 12 Virginia Tech, 35-24; No. 19 in final AP poll)

2004 – Louisville – 11-1 (Conference USA champion; Liberty Bowl, def. No. 10 Boise St., 44-40; No. 7 in final AP poll)

2003 – Louisville – 9-4 (GMAC Bowl, L to No. 14 Miami (Ohio), 49-28)

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I know it's his alma mater, but due to his position in NFL, seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Petrino is worthless as a human being. He has signed 3 contracts in the last 2 years (Louisville, Atlanta, ARK). Flirted with Auburn too. No morals or scruples anymore. Whatever happened to a man's word?

Dude, its sports, lighten up.

NDFootball
12-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

I agree. I wouldn't call the man worthless for what is becoming a common practice

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by NDFootball
I agree. I wouldn't call the man worthless for what is becoming a common practice

on another note, do you think Big Chuck needs the axe? Cause Ty got it after a worse performance...

NDFootball
12-12-2007, 10:55 PM
on another note, do you think Big Chuck needs the axe? Cause Ty got it after a worse performance...

Nah...you have to remember he was 19-6 before this season started and took ND to two consecutive BCS bowls. Regardless of whether the "special rule" allowed them to get into those bowl games or not, Willingham couldn't do it so I don't know if it's fair to compare them. I think he's also still trying to learn to be a college coach. He has tons of talent coming in but you have to remember Brady Quinn and all the other big time players he had in his first two seasons were upper classmen so they had matured enough to absorb all his plays and schemes pretty easily. That combined with this year being Willingham's last recruits and next year's seniors will be Charlie's first class which is pretty lackluster because he still had his job coaching the Patriots to their last Super Bowl they went to. That rounds out the upper classmen from this year. If he gets all his recruits to sign this year he will have the #1 recruiting class in the nation...he has had a top ten class the last two years I believe, which Willingham has never come close to doing. Willingham also led them to two bowls, the Motor City Bowl and the Gator Bowl, getting dominated in both of those games by monster schools Oregon State and NC State =\. I'm not saying you are included in this statement but for those who say Charlie's teams got dominated in both bowls and they shouldn't have been there...where does that put Willingham's teams if they got the "ND" treatment? They hung with Ohio State in that bowl...but a few bad plays in the fourth quarter sealed the deal. ND was rallying and OSU made a pick and ran it back to pad that score to make it the way it was. The game really was closer than the scoreboard showed. I can't really argue about LSU. ND hung around in the first half then superior depth/talent took over.

I have faith in Charlie...this year was just a bump in the road. =] I think you need to wait two more years before anybody can pass final judgement on him.

P.S. On top of all that they signed him into a 10 year extension before his first season was even over with a huge raise. Even ND can't swallow that chunk of change to get him out of there.

g$$
12-15-2007, 09:57 PM

NO I won't. That attitude is exactly what is wrong with our society. A man's word is his bond. No integrity or scruples with guys like Petrino. Our wishy-washy, no accountability society is a direct reflection of this.

Whether it's sports, business, life, family, whatever - no compromises here. You sign the deal, live up to it. Don't duck & run 1st sign of trouble.

g$$
12-15-2007, 10:01 PM

Does "common practice" make it right? Heck no.

It's common practice to lie, cheat, & steal too for some. It's common practice for athletes to take steroids & other things. It's common practice for some to commit adultery.

Still wrong no matter what "everybody" else is doing.

NDFootball
12-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
NO I won't. That attitude is exactly what is wrong with our society. A man's word is his bond. No integrity or scruples with guys like Petrino. Our wishy-washy, no accountability society is a direct reflection of this.

Whether it's sports, business, life, family, whatever - no compromises here. You sign the deal, live up to it. Don't duck & run 1st sign of trouble.

If you say that then you are also saying it's wrong to terminate a coach's contract early no matter what? And I wouldn't put in steroids, cheating, and stealing in the same category as a person leaving his job for a better one...maybe not in pay but it's pretty obvious Petrino wasn't a very good NFL coach.

g$$
12-16-2007, 03:13 AM
If you say that then you are also saying it's wrong to terminate a coach's contract early no matter what? And I wouldn't put in steroids, cheating, and stealing in the same category as a person leaving his job for a better one...maybe not in pay but it's pretty obvious Petrino wasn't a very good NFL coach.

Wrong...

What? If a guy's contract is terminated, then he gets paid what is left on his contract (he was not fired). Apples & oranges comparison. Bobby Petrino coached in the NFL previously as an asst. He knew the game. Who says it is a better job he left for at ARK? You or others? Who knows right now. I know this - he is a man with his hand out for the best offer whenever it comes along, no matter what he says to his players or bosses. He has proven that time & time again. 3 signed contracts in less than 2 years. Flirted with Auburn too. The guy has no morality. It reflects indirectly on our society as to what we have become.

For you or anyone to defend that guy says a lot about you. He is scum, period. And I am not a fan of any place he has been. Just objective human being who believes in right & wrong.