PDA

View Full Version : Which upset was bigger?

Old Tiger
12-11-2007, 09:49 PM
IMO App. State over Michigan.

lakers
12-11-2007, 10:01 PM
definitely App. vs Michigan

But, I was at Buffalo Wild Wings watchin the USC Stanford game and the atmosphere was crazy... I have never heard a restaurant so loud when he scored that last td...

TexanFan4Life
12-11-2007, 10:18 PM
2007 Appalachian State over Michigan will be known as the biggest college football upset for the next 10 years...maybe longer.

big daddy russ
12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Appy State over Mich, and it's not even close. It's rare that a I-AA beats a I-A team. That Michigan game was completely unprecedented. Meanwhile, powerhouses like USC have lost to cellar dwellars before.

Look at it this way, since the 2000 season, FCS (I-AA teams) have played FBS (I-A teams) a grand total of 482 times. In the course of nearly 500 games, they have won a grand total of 61 games. Only 11 of those were against BCS schools, and every single BCS school was a cellar dwellar the year they played.

Don't get me wrong, though. I-AA did have two key wins outside of the Michigan game that were considered fairly major upsets: against TCU in 2001 and Navy this year. Those were the only two bowl-bound bound teams outside of Michigan that I-AA teams beat. TCU was ranked 21st in the nation that year, and that was one of the biggest upsets ever. Meanwhile, the likes of Stanford, Mississippi State, and Baylor upset bowl teams every year.

Here are the major "upsets" by I-AA teams since 2000. And the only reason I called the first 11 major were because they were against BCS schools.

Northern Iowa over Iowa State (Big XII), 24-13
North Dakota St. over Minnesota (Big Ten), 27-21

Montana State over Colorado (Big XII), 19-10
Richmond over Duke (ACC), 13-0
New Hampshire over Northwestern (Big Ten), 34-17
Southern Illinois over Indiana (Big Ten), 35-28

UC-Davis over Stanford (Pac-10), 20-17

New Hampshire over Rutgers (Big East), 35-24
Maine over Mississippi St. (SEC), 9-7

Villanova over Rutgers (Big East), 37-19

Appalachian State over Wake Forest (ACC), 20-16

Biggest upsets
2001 Northwestern State over #21 TCU (Made the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl), 27-24
2007 Delaware over Navy (Will participate in the Poinsettia Bowl), 59-52

Yup, that's right. Those last two were the only ones to make a bowl game. So when a I-AA school beats the #5 team in the entire nation, a team with loads of history, including three national championships in the modern era, 42 Big Ten Championships, the most wins of any I-A program in history, the best winning percentage of any I-A program in history, 38 bowl games, and a legitimate national championship contender going into the season, it's absolutely huge.

And people are really saying Stanford over USC was bigger? That's rediculous. It pales in comparison to the Appy State win.

eagles_victory
12-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Yeah, Appy State over Mich, and it's not even close. It's rare that a I-AA beats a I-A team. That Michigan game was completely unprecedented. Meanwhile, powerhouses like USC have lost to cellar dwellars before.

Look at it this way, since the 2000 season, FCS (I-AA teams) have played FBS (I-A teams) a grand total of 482 times. In the course of nearly 500 games, they have won a grand total of 61 games. Only 11 of those were against BCS schools, and every single BCS school was a cellar dwellar the year they played.

Don't get me wrong, though. I-AA did have two key wins outside of the Michigan game that were considered fairly major upsets: against TCU in 2001 and Navy this year. Those were the only two bowl-bound bound teams outside of Michigan that I-AA teams beat. TCU was ranked 21st in the nation that year, and that was one of the biggest upsets ever. Meanwhile, the likes of Stanford, Mississippi State, and Baylor upset bowl teams every year.

Here are the major "upsets" by I-AA teams since 2000. And the only reason I called the first 11 major were because they were against BCS schools.

Biggest upsets
2001 Northwestern State over #21 TCU (Made the GalleryFurniture.com Bowl), 27-24

Yup, that's right. Those last two were the only ones to make a bowl game. So when a I-AA school beats the #5 team in the entire nation, a team with loads of history, including three national championships in the modern era, 42 Big Ten Championships, the most wins of any I-A program in history, the best winning percentage of any I-A program in history, 38 bowl games, and a legitimate national championship contender going into the season, it's absolutely huge.

And people are really saying Stanford over USC was bigger? That's rediculous. It pales in comparison to the Appy State win. Another thing is Michigan this year wasnt a young team that was just ranked high on reputation. This is a team that was number 2 in the country until their last regular season game the year before. They had their best four offensive players off of that team back and were playing in one of the most intimidating places in college football.

TexanFan4Life
12-12-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Another thing is Michigan this year wasnt a young team that was just ranked high on reputation. This is a team that was number 2 in the country until their last regular season game the year before. They had their best four offensive players off of that team back and were playing in one of the most intimidating places in college football.

Now all that's left is for a 16 seed to beat a 1 seed in the NCAA basketball tourney. It's going to happen...question is, when. ?

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Now all that's left is for a 16 seed to beat a 1 seed in the NCAA basketball tourney. It's going to happen...question is, when. ?

I think A&M-CC was a good shot in a while their first year in...

RattlerDude
12-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Biggest upsets

And people are really saying Stanford over USC was bigger? That's rediculous. It pales in comparison to the Appy State win. Excellent info

TexanFan4Life
12-12-2007, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
I think A&M-CC was a good shot in a while their first year in...

Weren't they a 15 seed?

TexanFan4Life
12-12-2007, 12:42 AM
The biggest upset of the year could easily have been when they cancelled the reality TV show with the hot news anchor after ONE episode. I really enjoyed her work. :)

eagles_victory
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Weren't they a 15 seed? yea they were a 15

piratebg
12-12-2007, 06:21 AM
Is there really any doubt? Appalachian State over Michigan wins easy.

Darren
12-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
Is there really any doubt? Appalachian State over Michigan wins easy.

Agreed... Seems like an easy answer to me.

Bearkat
12-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Can't argue with a division IAA opponent beating a DI.

Maroon87
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
The biggest upset of the year could easily have been when they cancelled the reality TV show with the hot news anchor after ONE episode. I really enjoyed her work. :)

The news director at that station is a friend of mine. We went to college together.:cool:

Maroon87
12-12-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm gonna go against the grain...I say Stanford over USC, because Appalachian St. was a recent I-AA national champion and is annually one of the top-ranked teams in that division.

Stanford was a 41-point dog to a team that hadn't lost at home in 6 years and was everyone's shoo-in national champ.

District303aPastPlayer
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm gonna go against the grain...I say Stanford over USC, because Appalachian St. was a recent I-AA national champion and is annually one of the top-ranked teams in that division.

Stanford was a 41-point dog to a team that hadn't lost at home in 6 years and was everyone's shoo-in national champ.

The AppSt/UM game was supposed to be so one sided that Vegas didn't even bother having a line for it... So that makes this argument almost irrelevant, sorry bud :)