PDA

View Full Version : Earl Campbell...

g$$
12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
The Houston Texans hosted a Luv Ya Blue Reunion last weekend & held a reception/halftime ceremony for Bum Phillips & the Boys.

I was a young boy rooting for the Oilers & my sports hero as a kid, Earl Campbell. I came across these #s that show just how dominant The Tyler Rose was during this time. Injuries & overuse took their toll as he declined in his last few years & has many problems today (back, knees, etc.), but boy what a ride! Check out career ypc & what Barry Switzer said about him.

I still maintain that the Steelers' teams of the 1970s were the best ever. You could keep teams together back then before free agency & expansion. The Oilers lost twice to them in AFC Title Games. At last count, those Steelers' teams had 9 HOF plus Coach Chuck Noll. The Oilers had 2 from those teams - Earl Campbell & Elvin Bethea (who was near end of career).

from Houston Chronicle:

during Oilers' heyday from 1978-1980
Carries: 1043
Yards: 5081 yds.
Rushing TDs: 45
Avg. Per Carry: 4.8
Long Run: 81 yds. vs. Miami on MNF in 1978

**Led NFL in rushing all 3 years
**1978 ROY
**1978-1980
NFL MVP all 3 years
NFL Offensive Player of Year all 3 years

from wikipedia:

Early life
Campbell was born in Tyler, Texas, the sixth of eleven children. His father died when he was 11 years old. He began playing football in fifth grade as a kicker, but moved to linebacker and running back in sixth grade. In 1973, he led the Corky Nelson-coached John Tyler High School to the Texas 4A State Championship (4A then was the largest classification in the state). Then-Oklahoma Sooners head coach Barry Switzer, who unsuccessfully recruited Campbell, said in his 1989 book that Campbell was the only player he ever saw who could have gone straight from high school to the NFL and immediately been a star.

College and professional career
As a collegiate football player at the University of Texas at Austin, he won the Heisman Trophy in 1977. He was selected as the Southwest Conference running back of the year in each of his college seasons and finished with 4,444 career rushing yards.

Also while at the University of Texas, Earl Campbell was chosen as a New Man in the Texas Cowboys student service organization in the mid-70s. The Texas Cowboys are the student organization made up of campus leaders. They are also responsible for taking care of and firing 'smokey' the cannon at Texas football games.

**Earl battled injuries & shared carries at UT (Roosevelt Leaks, etc.) until his senior year. Texas then switched from the Wishbone to the I-formation under Fred Akers & Earl was the man. 1977 Heisman Trophy winner & took undefeated Texas to Cotton Bowl, where they lost to a stout Notre Dame team.**

Houston Oilers
He was the first draft pick overall in the 1978 NFL Draft by the Houston Oilers and in that year named the Offensive Rookie of the Year by the Associated Press as well as the Most Valuable Player.

Campbell possessed a rare combination of speed and power, and was a prolific running back from 1978 through 1985. His outstanding single-season performance in 1979 earned him all-pro, Pro Bowl, and NFL Offensive Player of the Year honors. It was also the second of three consecutive seasons in which he led the league in rushing. Only Jim Brown had previously accomplished that feat. Campbell led the NFL in rushing in 1978, 1979, and 1980. He played in five Pro Bowls and finished his career with 9,407 yards and 74 touchdowns rushing along with 806 yards on 121 receptions. In 1980, Campbell's best year in the NFL, he ran for 1,934 yards including four 200-yard rushing games, including a personal best 206 yards against the Chicago Bears. Despite playing against stacked defenses and being gang-tackled nearly every time he carried the ball (a then-record 373 times), Campbell managed to average 5.2 yards per carry and scored 13 rushing touchdowns in 1980 alone.

New Orleans Saints
In 1984, he was traded to the New Orleans Saints, reuniting him with his former Oilers coach O.A. "Bum" Phillips. The trade was controversial in New Orleans, as it was widely believed that Campbell's skills had diminished, and the Saints already had the young George Rogers in the backfield. Campbell played in a diminished role in 1984 and 1985, and retired during the preseason of 1986, feeling that the beating he had taken during his career had taken too much of a toll, which has become apparent in his life today (see below).

Legacy
Campbell is widely acknowledged as one of the best running backs in NFL history. He is considered a prototype for the bruising, power running back. Described as a "one-man demolition team", Campbell was a punishing runner. His 34-inch thighs, 5-11, 244-pound frame, coupled with 4.6 speed, made him the most feared runner of his time. Pittsburgh Steelers Hall of Fame defensive tackle Joe Greene claimed that Campbell could inflict more damage on a team than any other back he ever faced.

Former Heisman Trophy winner and former Miami Dolphins player Ricky Williams was often compared to Campbell during Williams' days as a player with The University of Texas Longhorns. Even now, short running backs that use powerful legs to their advantage are occasionally nicknamed "Little Earl", most recently to some publicity with Gary Russell of the University of Minnesota.

The pride that prodded Campbell to stretch out every run over eight grueling seasons for the Oilers and New Orleans Saints also might have been responsible for his relatively short career. All of the pounding he absorbed, all of the bone-jarring blows from second, third and fourth tacklers wore down his body and prompted a premature drop-off in performance. Debate still rages as to whether Coach Bum Phillips hastened the end of Campbell's career by overworking him; nevertheless, the consensus is clear that during Campbell's heyday, few running backs were as productive or imposing.

Honors
In 1999, he was ranked number 33 on The Sporting News' list of the 100 Greatest Football Players, the highest-ranked player for the Houston Oilers franchise. In 2007, he was ranked #12 on ESPN's Top 25 Players In College Football History list.

The Statue of Earl Campbell at Royal-Memorial Stadium.Campbell, Texas’ first Heisman Trophy winner in 1977, was honored at halftime against Ohio State on September 9, 2006. The school unveiled a new 9-foot statue of Campbell in the southwest corner of Royal-Memorial Stadium Saturday afternoon. The same year, Campbell graced the cover of Dave Campbell's Texas Football, an honor that eluded him during his playing days.

In 1981 the state legislature of Texas proclaimed Earl Campbell as an Official State Hero of Texas, an honor only previously awarded to Davy Crockett, Stephen F. Austin, and Sam Houston.

Personal life
In 1980, Campbell married his high school girlfriend Reuchalle Reuna Smith. They have two sons: Christian, who ran track at the University of Houston, and Tyler, who currently plays football for San Diego State University.

Due to the countless carries in his NFL career and numerous hits on his body, Campbell has great difficulty walking and sometimes requires the use of a wheelchair. In 2004, ESPN showed a segment about retired and current NFL players who deal with chronic injuries due to playing in the NFL over a number of years. The segment showed Earl Campbell at a farm using a wheelchair. Campbell has developed severe arthritis in his knees and has debilitating back pain. He attributes his back pain to a congenital back condition aggravated by his football career.

A profile in the Austin American-Statesman in December 2007 describes Campbell's daily struggle with his back pain, and states that he had surgery to remove three large bone spurs.

Career rushing statistics
Year Team Games Attempts Yards YPC TDs
1978 Houston Oilers 15 302 1,450 4.8 13
1979 Houston Oilers 16 368 1,697 4.6 19
1980 Houston Oilers 15 373 1,934 5.2 13
1981 Houston Oilers 16 361 1,376 3.8 10
1982 Houston Oilers 9 157 538 3.4 2
1983 Houston Oilers 14 322 1,301 4.0 12
1984 Houston Oilers 8 50 190 3.8 0
New Orleans Saints 6 96 278 2.9 4
TOTAL 14 146 468 3.4 4
1985 New Orleans Saints 16 158 643 4.1 1

Career 115 2,187 9,407 4.3 74

kepdawg
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
The Oilers history, stats, etc... went with the Titans, correct?

g$$
12-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The Oilers history, stats, etc... went with the Titans, correct?

Yes, same owner for Titans (Bud Adams). But Bob McNair (Texans owner) has maintained a good relationship with guys like Bum, etc. Kinda a mixed bag, but you are correct on stats, history, etc.

kepdawg
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, same owner for Titans (Bud Adams). But Bob McNair (Texans owner) has maintained a good relationship with guys like Bum, etc. Kinda a mixed bag, but you are correct on stats, history, etc.

I thought so. That's cool though that the Texans would still host an event like that.

STANG RED
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
I have always maintained the belief that Earl was/is the greatest running back of all time. Had he been a Cowboy or Steeler in his hayday, I believe he would have set records that would have never been broken.
He carried that whole Oilers team on his back and was just way overused. I remember him getting 35 to 40 carries in many games. Had he been on a good offensive team that didnt rely 100% on his output, and could have carried the ball 20 to 25 times a game, his career would have been 5 years longer, and he would have put up numbers out of sight.
I got hammered for this on here the last time I said it, but I'll say it again. I blame Bum Phillips for Earl taking such a beating. It was very easy to tell at the time, that Earl would end up in the shape he has ended up in now. I remember lots of people making statements to that effect way back then.

g$$
12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I have always maintained the belief that Earl was/is the greatest running back of all time. Had he been a Cowboy or Steeler in his hayday, I believe he would have set records that would have never been broken.
He carried that whole Oilers team on his back and was just way overused. I remember him getting 35 to 40 carries in many games. Had he been on a good offensive team that didnt rely 100% on his output, and could have carried the ball 20 to 25 times a game, his career would have been 5 years longer, and he would have put up numbers out of sight.
I got hammered for this on here the last time I said it, but I'll say it again. I blame Bum Phillips for Earl taking such a beating. It was very easy to tell at the time, that Earl would end up in the shape he has ended up in now. I remember lots of people making statements to that effect way back then.

I agree, & I have great respect for Bum Phillips. Those teams were known as the "Earlers" for a reason. He flat carried them offensively.

But, I remember an article when Earl was playing & this subject came up about longevity. Earl said he wanted it no other way - he wanted the ball & his team to win. Of course that was the competitor in him talking. With his physical problems today, he may regret it some. He took a beating, period. Carried it 373 times one year to set a record.

But what a ride. Greatest power runner ever in my lifetime, & right there with Jim Brown all-time. You hurt for days after a game against Earl Campbell. Great memories of Sunday afternoons & Monday nights watching the Oilers & The Dome rocking with Bum & the Boys.

g$$
12-12-2007, 08:02 PM
ttt

EAGLETOWN
12-12-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't know how many of you watched it, but the other night on ESPN there was a Heisman Special on previous winners.

The one on Earl said that his problems now stem from a hereditary problem caused by bone spurs on his spinal cord.

It was said that he was blessed to have played the way he did for as long as he did.

They said at any time in his career he could have sustained a hit the wrong way and been paralyzed for life.

Even more so than an average player.

It was something they did not know then.

Had Earl not had the hereditary health problems he would probably been crowned the best of all time instead of listed with them.

Those of us that did get to watch him play were fortunate to get to see him and know what kind of RB he was.

Most of the time he was hit in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage so they made a stat for him.

Its was yards after contact.

I don't remember what they were but they pretty much matched up his yards per carry.

He was also well over used and run in the ground. I agree had he played with the Cowboys or the team that beat him up so much.

Probably one of the best defensive teams of all times, the Steelers he would have set records that would probably still be there today.

They showed one hit on the show where he ran into a defender had literally picked him up with a make shift stiff arm elbow and carried him with him to the end zone at arms length and never slowed down.

It was one of the most impressive shots I have ever seen.

underware
12-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I was always an Oiler fan. My Dad who is a Cowboy fan got to go to a Div. final game when those Luv Ya Blue signs were handed out and the Astrodome was a sea of Powder Puff Blue. He gave it to me when he got home. I was 11 at the time. I still have it. I had it framed and it is hanging in my home to this day. Luv Ya Blue!!!

duckpluck
12-13-2007, 05:21 PM
He was a stud. I got to see is RAIDER hit in person. WOW

g$$
12-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by duckpluck
He was a stud. I got to see is RAIDER hit in person. WOW

Raiders' Jack Tatum hit is what you are referencing, knocked both guys out but Earl carried him into end zone.

Rams' Isiah Robertson is another shown quite often.

Earl destroyed them both.

Earl has a congenital back condition worsened by football. He also has arthritis in both knees. He is bad off physically, unfortunately.

rockdale80
12-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by g$$

I still maintain that the Steelers' teams of the 1970s were the best ever. You could keep teams together back then before free agency & expansion.

Doesnt matter. That was before the modern era of football which began in 1975. Nothing the Steelers did before that year counts. Sorry.

Maroon87
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by EAGLETOWN
They showed one hit on the show where he ran into a defender had literally picked him up with a make shift stiff arm elbow and carried him with him to the end zone at arms length and never slowed down.

It was one of the most impressive shots I have ever seen.

That's probably the one vs. Tech in '77. He jacked that dude up!:eek:

block&tackle
12-14-2007, 08:22 PM
I have a 3 can a week Skoal habit that was strongly influenced by my childhood hero Mr. Campbell. Not complaining.