PDA

View Full Version : Stump the Schwab

44INAROW
12-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Ok - what's the deal with that Schwab guy? Seems like everyday when I get home from work - husband has ESPN Classic on and "Stump the Schwab" is on. How in the world does that guy know some of that stuff? I can understand some of it is just memorizing stats etc but some of it is stuff that happened in 1957 - 4th game of the World Series - "who was the 4th batter in the 5th inning and did he pop out or hit a line drive and if he did, who did he hit it to" type stuff...... anyway - that always amazes me..........

dang, it's only Tuesday :(

crzyjournalist03
12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
usually those "random" questions are talking about memorable events in history...for example, they might ask about the batter on the famous Derek Jeter throwing out Jeremi Giambi play or something, but I agree, it's nuts that he knows some of the stuff that he does...I wonder if he gets a study guide with a thousand questions or so and just tries to memorize things off of that or something.

TexanAlum_06
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
It might just be staged.....

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
He was and is the the Main historical fact checker for ESPN, and has been for awhile

GreenMonster
12-11-2007, 02:01 PM
If I can't Stump the Schwab then I will be forced to Stomp the Schlub. I do love the show though. It's amazing how much sports knowledge that guy has.

44INAROW
12-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
If I can't Stump the Schwab then I will be forced to Stomp the Schlub. I do love the show though. It's amazing how much sports knowledge that guy has.
it was funny on the rerun I (we) was (were) watching yesterday - the moderator told him - "at least pause, hesitate or ACT like you are thinking for a few seconds before you answer, so the rest of us don't feel like dummies" :D

big daddy russ
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
I have a good buddy who swears up and down that I should be on that show, but the Schwab would put me to shame.

Adidas410s
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
I wonder if he's a highly functioning autistic...or possibly a savant.

What the heck are you doing home so early anyways??? :thinking:

sinton66
12-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Did any of you ever see the edition of "$64,000 Question" where the guy was exposed getting the answers fed to him?

44INAROW
12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I wonder if he's a highly functioning autistic...or possibly a savant.

What the heck are you doing home so early anyways??? :thinking:

Is Boston Legal a rerun tonight?

TexanFan4Life
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

every show is a rerun until the writers come back

44INAROW
12-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life

not necessarily = some of the shows were produced before the strike but I think they are all just about done........ guess we'll be watching reruns alot until the strike is over....... :(

TexanFan4Life
12-11-2007, 05:38 PM
not necessarily = some of the shows were produced before the strike but I think they are all just about done........ guess we'll be watching reruns alot until the strike is over....... :(

I always watch the CBS Monday night comedies...they were all reruns last night. Those are about the only 4 shows I watch on TV though.

44INAROW
12-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I got to thinking (OK no comments) anyway - maybe they'll start showing some of the shows that weren't picked up for the fall season.... might see some Pilots of shows that actually might turn out to be good shows....... I just hope the strike is overwith ASAP..

TexanFan4Life
12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I got to thinking (OK no comments) anyway - maybe they'll start showing some of the shows that weren't picked up for the fall season.... might see some Pilots of shows that actually might turn out to be good shows....... I just hope the strike is overwith ASAP..

They cancelled that show Viva Laughlin after TWO episodes. That's got to be a record.

Emerson1
12-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Everything I read said expect new shows next fall

Txbroadcaster
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
actually shows are in rerun for the Holidays, not the strike

MOST shows have enough episodes in the can to get thru the Feb sweeps

Emerson1
12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
They cancelled that show Viva Laughlin after TWO episodes. That's got to be a record.
No, that reality show with that hot anchor from Tyler was canceled after the first episode

TexanFan4Life
12-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
No, that reality show with that hot anchor from Tyler was canceled after the first episode

Oh yeah...I forgot about that. Now I have to find another actress's work to follow. :)

carter08
12-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Nope. New episode. I think theres 4 or 5 more left after this one that are ready.

44INAROW
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Nope. New episode. I think theres 4 or 5 more left after this one that are ready.

cool beans and I got home in time to watch it ;)

boudreaux
12-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Howard "Howie" Schwab (not to be confused with Mark Schwab of WTAM) is best-known as the sports trivia expert and final adversary on ESPN's Stump the Schwab.

In the 1980s, Schwab served as the editor-in-chief of College & Pro Football News Weekly. His career with ESPN began in 1987,when he signed as a freelance researcher, and was subsequently promoted to full-time duties. By 1995, he was the coordinating producer for the network's website, ESPN.com. Since 1998, Schwab has served as a coordinating producer for ESPN studio production, which entails duties on programs such as SportsCenter.

Schwab often wears sports jerseys when appearing on his namesake program. Schwab is a graduate of St.John's University, who retired a basketball jersey with his name, despite the fact that he did not participate in athletics while attending the school. Originally from Baldwin, Nassau County, New York, he is an avid Yankees, Giants, and Hartford Whalers (now known as the Carolina Hurricanes) fan. he is married to Jodi Singer.

Adidas410s
12-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I always watch the CBS Monday night comedies...they were all reruns last night. Those are about the only 4 shows I watch on TV though.
Evidently you didn't watch them then...HIMYM was new last night. :rolleyes:

Adidas410s
12-12-2007, 08:25 AM
some shows (Friday Night Lights, Las Vegas, etc) have already written a full slate of episodes. Other shows like the Office ran out of episodes a few weeks ago. It varies show by show. :rolleyes: