PDA

View Full Version : A great Chess clip on you tube

Phil C
12-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I can't post the link here because of some of the reader comments but for a great film clip go to you tube and search for Capablanca in Moscow then clip it on. It is only 1min15sec long but it is a powerful one with the great chess grandmaster Jose Raul Capablanca of Cuba. He lived in New York for much of his life. This clip was taken when he was at a tournament in Moscow in 1925. He was the world champion from 1921 to 1927. His overall record between 1909 to 1939 was a fantastic 318 wins, 249 draws and only 34 losses.

I will provide the translation for the video below in order for those that don't understand spanish.

Lady: Leave me alone!
Lady: Because of chess I hate the whole world.
Capablanca: I understand.
Capablanca: When I am in the company of a beautiful woman
I also hate chess.
Lady: At least I have found an enemy of chess.
Lady: Tell me how you got liberated from chess fever.

One of the greatest one minute clip ever! Enjoy!

Phil C
12-11-2007, 10:38 AM
For a funny add search for "Kortchnnoi defeated by a cow." Funny indeed and shows that Kortchnnoi has a sense of humor. He is a great chess player and twice challenged for the world championship of chess.

Phil C
12-11-2007, 06:15 PM
This has got to be one of the most devastating 1min15sec clip ever.

PhiI C
12-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks for Sharing Phil! This was one tough clip! Told with a simple force that leaves you in awe after it is over. Outstanding!

LEROY
12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Phil, step away from your computer, and go have a couple dozen cold beverages.........

Phil C
12-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm now drinking an HEB diet caffeine free original cola.

:)

Phil C
12-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Hey Leroy did you enjoy the clip?

LEROY
12-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Totally missed the "chess" game in the first post. You ain't right man. lol

DDBooger
12-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by LEROY
Totally missed the "chess" game in the first post. You ain't right man. lol ask him about pelican west

Adidas410s
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll have to check this out when I get home tonight. Chess videos are blocked at my work! :(

Phil C
12-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I'll have to check this out when I get home tonight. Chess videos are blocked at my work! :(

:(

Phil C
12-13-2007, 12:03 PM
Mr. Capablanca learned how to play chess by watching his father and uncle play the game. Both the uncle and father were fairly good chess players for amatures. One day the father won a game by accidently making a wrong movie with the knight. He said "Daddy you cheated. You made a wrong movie with the horse (knight)." The father responded " I suppose you know how to play chess and would like to play me a game."
"Yes." said the delighted four year old Capablanca. To the amazement of the father and uncle he set up the pieces and they played and he beat his father. Everyone was astonished and the father picked up the young Capablanca and ran through the streets of the town where he lived "A miracle has happened! My four year old son has just beaten me in chess!"

Thus began a great chess career.

Phil C
12-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Mr. Capablanca rose to great heights as a chess star in Cuba and North America but his first strong tournament as a young man was in San Sebastian, Spain in 1911 which had most of the world's greatest chess masters at the time and when Capablanca won that tournament he was recognized world wide for his great chess ability. However he was very anxious before the tournament and even considered not playing out of fear of being humiliated. He thought of taking a boat home immediately but didn't. He was beginning to be afraid of the chess board. When he got to the tournament he saw some of the great players playing rapid chess together before the tournament. He noticed mistakes being made by these great masters one that he saw ahead of time. He suddenly realized the he could play with and defeat these great players. This was a turning poing in his young life. For better or worse he was never to be afraid of a chess board again.

charlesrixey
12-13-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I'm now drinking an HEB diet caffeine free original cola.

:)

good clip, phil!

going to see any games this weekend?

Phil C
12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey
good clip, phil!

going to see any games this weekend?

Not too many close by. I will probably be watching on tv. The Spurs play on tv tonight.

Phil C
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
There is an amusing story about Dr. Emanual Lasker who was the world chess champion from 1894 to 1921. While on a boat to a tournament he noticed a man with a chess board pondering a chess problem. Not knowing who Lasker was the man started a conversation with him asking him if he played chess to which Lasker replied "Occassionally." The man then said "Let's play a game. I am pretty good so to give you a chance I will give you the odds of a queen." That means he removes his queen and in chess that is the biggest odds you can give because when one becomes a fair chess players even a world champion can't give those odds. However Mr. Lasker accepted the odds and as they played he realized the man was not that good a chess player even though he was conceited and thought he was. Lasker lost two games to the man then he said "Sir I have lost two games to you without my queen so there must be an advantage to having that square vacant. I insist that you have the queen and I remove mine!"
The man replied "That is ridiculous. I have just beaten you twice when you had the odds of the queen. This would be a ridiculous game."
Nevertheless Lasker insisted and they played a game which Lasker won very quickly. The man was astonished and said "Well let's play another. I wasn't really paying attention and let this one get away."
They played again and again Lasker won easily.

It was never found out if the man ever realized if he had been playing the world champion and how foolish he looked.