PDA

View Full Version : Mike Haywood to be next Houston HC???

Adidas410s
12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Anybody (Russ/G$$) have any info on Haywood? Evidently he is openly lobbying for the Houston job. All I know is that he's a Houston native and the current OC at Notre Dame. He also coached at LSU and Texas.

big daddy russ
12-10-2007, 04:31 PM
The only name I've heard the past week or so is Jack Pardee, but I'll check into it.

Sounds like it would be a good fit on the surface, though. He runs an offense similar to Briles,' but Haywood isn't a name brand yet. Get his start at a mid-major with all the talent to compete in conference and build his name for future jobs. He'd probably also get a raise from what he's making now, though it might not be a huge raise. I figured the Coogs' next coach would come in around $400k to $500k a year range.

Houston would be a great starting point for a guy like that.

big daddy russ
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Just hit the jackpot. Found out that he's a Notre Dame alum, but has strong Texas ties. Grew up in Houston and graduated HS from St. Thomas (same school as my father-in-law). He left a position under Mack Brown as his Special Teams Coordinator and Recruiting Coordinator after the 2004 Rose Bowl (I love to hear Recruiting Coordinator in a no-name candidate's resume). Apparently, he put together that class that included Quan Cosby (the second time around), Jamaal Charles, Jermichael Finley, and Colt McCoy.

Also, check out this (http://bluegraysky.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html) blog from last Wednesday. Says he's now the leading candidate to replace Briles. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all pans out.

boudreaux
12-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Cougar High needs a good guy like this.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 11:04 PM
He and Dave Maggert had a 4 hour long interview a few weeks ago. That's an awful long time to talk to someone if you have no interest in him.