PDA

View Full Version : Michael Vick sentencing today!!

kaorder1999
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Interesting...wonder what he gets?

kaorder1999
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM
FROM ESPN.COM

Vick awaits sentencing in dogfighting case
ESPN.com news services

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick awaited a judge's ruling Monday on how long he will remain in prison for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback faced up to five years at his sentencing by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson (SportsCenter Special, 10 a.m. ET, ESPN). Federal sentencing guidelines suggested a year to 18 months.

Vick pleaded guilty in August. In a plea agreement, he admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill six to eight pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights.

He also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

At a news conference after pleading guilty, Vick apologized to the NFL, the Falcons and youngsters who viewed him as a role model and vowed: "I will redeem myself."

By 8 a.m. Monday, about 50 people were in line outside the courthouse waiting for the doors to open. About two dozen animal rights activists stood across the street holding posters showing injured pit bulls and the messages, "Report Dogfighters" and "Dogs Deserve Justice."

"We want to make sure the focus on the animals in this case isn't lost," said Dan Shannon, spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Ryan Eanes, 27, of Richmond, wore his No. 7 Vick jersey as he waited in line.

"We all make mistakes," Eanes said. "I don't support the situation with the animals, but I support him. I believe his apology is sincere."

After testing positive for marijuana -- a violation of conditions set for his release -- Vick was placed on a curfew and monitored electronically. He voluntarily began serving his sentence early and has been held since Nov. 19 at a jail in Warsaw, Va.

Court papers revealed gruesome details about Vick's dogfighting operation, including the execution of underperforming dogs by electrocution, drowning, hanging and other means. Those details prompted a public backlash against the once-popular NFL star and outraged animal-rights groups, which used the case to call attention to the brutality of dogfighting.

Vick was suspended without pay by the NFL and lost all of his lucrative endorsement deals.

Two of Vick's co-defendants were sentenced Nov. 30. Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach got 18 months, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta 21 months. Another co-defendant, Tony Taylor, will be sentenced Friday.

The case began in April when a drug investigation of Vick's cousin led authorities to the former Virginia Tech star's Surry County property, where they found dozens of pit bulls -- some of them injured -- and equipment associated with dogfighting.

Vick initially denied any knowledge about dogfighting on the property. He changed his story after the three co-defendants pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with the government.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Adidas410s
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Two things of note:

- The 2 guys that turned on Vick to help the gov't case got 18 and 21 months.
- The judge in this case is known for giving out steep penalties/fines.

That said. I would guess somewhere between 24-36 months...unless the judge has lost his nerve and gives him 6 months and 5 years probation (knowing full well Vick can't stay clean from marijuana for 5 years) and lets Vick hang himself that way.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Two things of note:

- The 2 guys that turned on Vick to help the gov't case got 18 and 21 months.
- The judge in this case is known for giving out steep penalties/fines.

That said. I would guess somewhere between 24-36 months...unless the judge has lost his nerve and gives him 6 months and 5 years probation (knowing full well Vick can't stay clean from marijuana for 5 years) and lets Vick hang himself that way.

A sickening fact is that high-profile celebrities/athletes like Vick tend to be let go with a slap on the hand.

I know this judge has a history of handing down harsh punishments and going 'by the book', but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets under 12 months...

Personally, I want him to do 24 months AND be forced to do some kind of extensive volunteer work with the SPCA, PETA and other animal rights organizations.

kaorder1999
12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Just in!! 23 months...

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Just in!! 23 months...

I was close. Only off by a month. What else? That it?

kaorder1999
12-10-2007, 10:55 AM
23 months and 3 years probation!

kaorder1999
12-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Vick gets 23-month sentence on dogfighting charges
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 10, 2007, 10:49 AM ET

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy.

Federal sentencing guidelines suggested a year to 18 months.

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback also received three years' probation at his sentencing before U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson.

With nearly a month already served, going by Hudson's sentencing, Vick would be scheduled for release in October 2009.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
23 months and 3 years probation!

Good. Sorry bastard.

They didn't suspend part of the 23 months, did they? I want that sack of ____ to get really acquainted with Bubba, his future cellmate.

:D

kaorder1999
12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
well...hes already seved one month...the thing with Federal sentencing is he will serve every day of it...

District303aPastPlayer
12-10-2007, 11:02 AM
23 is cool by me. But isn't jeopardy attached now, and the state trial he is slated to face, sorta moot?

coach
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
i thought he would only have to spend 85% of the time behind bars if he had good behavior????

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
23 is cool by me. But isn't jeopardy attached now, and the state trial he is slated to face, sorta moot?

State and Federal charges are two different things. I have a feeling the state case will be dropped and was brought up only to somehow 'influence' sentencing in the Federal case against Vick.

District303aPastPlayer
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
State and Federal charges are two different things. I have a feeling the state case will be dropped and was brought up only to somehow 'influence' sentencing in the Federal case against Vick.

The way it keeps getting talked about, and what I've read about the judge, it doesn't seem that way to me.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
The way it keeps getting talked about, and what I've read about the judge, it doesn't seem that way to me.

I haven't kept up with all of the state case stuff, but Michael Vick deserves whatever he gets, both on the federal and state charges. I hope I am wrong about the state case being dropped.

Txbroadcaster
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
I haven't kept up with all of the state case stuff, but Michael Vick deserves whatever he gets, both on the federal and state charges. I hope I am wrong about the state case being dropped.

While I am all for him getting the 23 months, IMO the State charges added are a little to much..he basically is getting tried twice for exact charge

and this is not a point where the state is wanting justice, they are pissed the Feds stepped in and have said that many times

westtxfballfan
12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
You get up to 53 days per year off for "good time," so federal defendants serve about 85 percent of their time. Toward the end of his sentence, he'll go to a halfway house where he will still be an inmate; i.e., if he walks off it's treated as an escape and you can go back to prison.

I suspect he turned himself in to get started in anticipation of the 2009 season once he saw what the others got and saw his own sentencing report recommendation (which would have come out a month or so ago.)He'll likely be at a halfway house by the summer of 09.

Any state case time will likely run concurrent with the fed time. Typically in Texas it does anyway. Fed time almost always runs consecutive to state time. In other words, if you see the state judge first, the fed judge will stack your time. Since Vick went federal first, his state judge is not likely to stack any time he may get on the state charges. I don't know why the state DA bothered. He must be up for re-election soon.

3afan
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
the comments i'm hearing from 'experts' for the most part are saying its a fair sentence