PDA

View Full Version : Could LH hang with 5A's like Katy, SLC?

navscanmaster
12-10-2007, 08:19 AM
All I am asking is could they hang, not necessarily win. If they win the state championship, I will post a poll that asks if they could win.:D

And yes, everybody on this board already knows the difference in numbers, pools of athletes to choose from between 3A and 5A, so we don't need to rehash that. Just say whether they could hang in and make a good game out of a matchup with Katy or SLC, and state your opinion as to why or why not.

I say yes, they could hang with them both.:)

TheDOCTORdre
12-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
All I am asking is could they hang, not necessarily win. If they win the state championship, I will post a poll that asks if they could win.:D

And yes, everybody on this board already knows the difference in numbers, pools of athletes to choose from between 3A and 5A, so we don't need to rehash that. Just say whether they could hang in and make a good game out of a matchup with Katy or SLC, and state your opinion as to why or why not.

ok why could they?

Old Tiger
12-10-2007, 08:26 AM
probably for a quarter but the depth and talent of 5a would come out.

navscanmaster
12-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
ok why could they?

Perfectly executed offense is hard to stop. A big, fast, disciplined defense could slow it down enough, and it would take a team like Katy or SLC to do that. Also, LH's defense is obviously not going to stop a team like those two, but I am positive they could make a few plays here and there to keep the game reasonably close.

3afan
12-10-2007, 08:32 AM
simple answer - NO

Old Tiger
12-10-2007, 08:58 AM
We all know the only team that could hang/beat a 5a/college/Kansas City Chiefs is the Burnet Bulldogs! They can put 20,000 fans in the seats for a cupcake opponent. :p

Pudlugger
12-10-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm sure you have heard the old saying "offense wins games, defense wins championships". Well the LH offense would have some big time trouble up against a defensive line of 300 lb 6' 4" DTs and 260 lb 6'5" DEs and 220 lb mlbs with dbs all under 4.6 in the 40s. And none of them play offense so they would not get tired in the fourth quarter and allow easy scores. LH would be lucky to score a td in a game with top 5a schools. Why do you think we have divisions in the first place? To give a venue for small schools to play the game.

JR2004
12-10-2007, 09:23 AM
No they couldn't. It'd get ugly pretty quickly and it wouldn't matter which of the top 3A teams you lined up against them.

big daddy russ
12-10-2007, 09:26 AM
navs, how do you think you would've fared against Liberty Hill if Brock Fitzhenry, Garrett Nunn, Alan Dock, and the 30 other best players in the district had enrolled in Navasota? Heck, just put the All-District team on the field. Do you think you would've still lost to Liberty Hill.

Combined enrollment of all the schools that make up 23-3A= 3766

While Katy and SLC don't have quite that many students (I think they both have just under 3,000), there are a few high schools out there with over 5,000 kids. Sometimes, whether or not a team has a great program, they just get out-athleted.

I've heard time and time again that LH's weakness is their secondary. This week they're set to face quite possibly the best passing attack in the state in 3A. Granted, Gilmer is loaded with Division I talent and shouldn't be taken lightly, but what would happen if they went up against the spread of SLC and their 11 offensive starters who could realistically play college ball somewhere, almost all of them at Division I colleges?

While I think LH would be fine for a half, I think the immense depth of those big teams would wear them out towards the end of the game.

Txbroadcaster
12-10-2007, 09:40 AM
No they could not

IMO only ONE 3A team this year could play a quarter with a good 5A team and that is Gilmer

NOW..That does not mean I think Gilmer will win agianst LH, but simply Man for Man, Gilmer has the size up front on Offense, and a D1 stud at RB, so they could hang for maybe a quarter, then would get rolled agianst a Katy or SLC

RattlerDude
12-10-2007, 09:48 AM
There is no way that LH could hang with SLC, Katy, or even Permian. Now that I think about it, any team in the top 35 is 5a would roll over LH or any other 3a team. I watched SLC play against Grapevine and Miami-Northwestern, and they looked almost like a college team. Their passing game was amazing and their running back, Tre Newton or something like that, was running through immense holes. If there was a game, it would be pointless.

wimbo_pro
12-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Hang with them? Define "hang". LH would be competitive for a while, but they would wear down. Too much size and speed on top 5A teams...teams that are near the top in the country!!! No 3A team in recent memory could be real competitive with such talent.

JT44
12-10-2007, 09:54 AM
MAYBE, for one quarter, there's too much size overall, but would be interesting to see

it's a numbers game, the amount of quality players most likely would be more on those 5a schools

big daddy russ
12-10-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Hang with them? Define "hang". LH would be competitive for a while, but they would wear down. Too much size and speed on top 5A teams...teams that are near the top in the country!!! No 3A team in recent memory could be real competitive with such talent.
Oh, I could think of a few that that would've been competitive and wouldn't have been blown out of the water, but this LH team is not one of them. And they may be the best 3A team in the state this year.

Crow22
12-10-2007, 10:00 AM
It would be about 70 - 12.

So if you consider that "hanging" with them then, yes.

Adidas410s
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
LH could hang with SLC...because SLC hasn't played in a few weeks and would be rusty! :eek: :eek: :eek:

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Perfectly executed offense is hard to stop. A big, fast, disciplined defense could slow it down enough, and it would take a team like Katy or SLC to do that. Also, LH's defense is obviously not going to stop a team like those two, but I am positive they could make a few plays here and there to keep the game reasonably close.

Not a chance. Katy beats quality 5A teams like red-headed stepchildren. Aundre Dean would be salivating while looking at the Liberty Hill defense.

Katy would probably win by a final score of 63-0. No Joke.

SpeedOption
12-10-2007, 11:15 PM
The top 3a's might beat the low 5A's but not the top 5A's.

IHStangFan
12-10-2007, 11:20 PM
nope....schools like Katy and SLC ESPECIALLY...are dynasties in Texas HS football as of late...and do what they do year after year after year. That, and the fact that..yes..LH runs as a well oiled machine....BUT...so do the fore mentioned teams, but w/ about twice the depth w/ just as much..if not more skill/speed.

I say no way.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 11:22 PM
Liberty Hill could probably handle one of those cream puff Rio Grande Valley 5A schools, like Del Rio.

espn1
12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
We all know the only team that could hang/beat a 5a/college/Kansas City Chiefs is the Burnet Bulldogs! They can put 20,000 fans in the seats for a cupcake opponent. :p Yeah the Governor and A few College Coaches flew into Burnet also. All those People just wanted to see Mc Gee and Shipley. They were both men among boys. It was more like 17000 and that was at Kyle field and Texas Stadium. Burnet's crowd at their home games was 8 to 10 thousand people back in those days.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-10-2007, 11:25 PM
NO!

eagles_victory
12-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Not a chance. Katy beats quality 5A teams like red-headed stepchildren. Aundre Dean would be salivating while looking at the Liberty Hill defense.

Katy would probably win by a final score of 63-0. No Joke. I think LH might have a chance to stop Aundre Dean

Its gotta be getting hard for him to run fast with you swinging from his jock.

Fal44
12-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Liberty Hill could probably handle one of those cream puff Rio Grande Valley 5A schools, like Del Rio.

Didn't know Del Rio was in the RGV...

espn1
12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Liberty Hill could probably handle one of those cream puff Rio Grande Valley 5A schools, like Del Rio. They could definitely beat some 4 & 5 A schools. But not the good ones.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
Didn't know Del Rio was in the RGV...

They're not? My mistake. But the point was definitely made. ;)

Fal44
12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
lol its ok... just felt like a correction was needed, and point was made :D...

formermbcouns
12-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Crow22
It would be about 70 - 12.

So if you consider that "hanging" with them then, yes.

LOL

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Fal44
lol its ok... just felt like a correction was needed, and point was made :D...

TJ Mills' first game at Permian he held Del Rio to -10 total yards.
That's what brought Del Rio to mind.

LH Panther Mom
12-10-2007, 11:34 PM
This whole thread cracks me up. :D

sweetwater07
12-10-2007, 11:56 PM

why is SLC even in this question??

Abilene beat them, so i figured a more accurate question would be could LH hang with Katy, Abilene, Pflugerville, or SA Madison?

iknoweverything
12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Whoever voted yes either a. has the brain of a dog, or b. has the brain of a cat

Bull Butter
12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
C. is from Liberty Hill

TexanFan4Life
12-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
why is SLC even in this question???

You're saying since SLC lost in a tough game to one of the best 5A teams in the state a week ago that they don't deserve to be in this question?

LH could not beat any of the Klein schools, Conroe, College Park, North Shore...etc etc. They could give Langham Creek a run for their money though. Possibly come away with the win.

JR2004
12-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
why is SLC even in this question??

Abilene beat them, so i figured a more accurate question would be could LH hang with Katy, Abilene, Pflugerville, or SA Madison?

While I was at the game cheering for Abilene against SLC, the reason they ultimately prevailed was the injury to Dodge. We were talking about it about two plays before it happened that they'd have to knock Dodge out of the game to win.

SNYDER325TIGERS
12-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
While I was at the game cheering for Abilene against SLC, the reason they ultimately prevailed was the injury to Dodge. We were talking about it about two plays before it happened that they'd have to knock Dodge out of the game to win.

Yea thats the only reason their were they are now. But no worries, they will be beat bad by Katy...if they make it that far.

JR2004
12-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
Yea thats the only reason their were they are now. But no worries, they will be beat bad by Katy...if they make it that far.

The fumble on the snap didn't hurt either, but Dodge going out was huge for Abilene. That gave them a shot to hang around. They were on the verge of being blown out before the injury.

lakers
12-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS

what could u run that by me again, i didnt understand???:confused:

iknoweverything
12-11-2007, 12:36 AM
seriously why is this even a thread. No they cant hang with them. Not even close.

navscanmaster
12-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
seriously why is this even a thread. No they cant hang with them. Not even close.

Stirs up debate when times are slow.

Panther One
12-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I'm sure you have heard the old saying "offense wins games, defense wins championships". Well the LH offense would have some big time trouble up against a defensive line of 300 lb 6' 4" DTs and 260 lb 6'5" DEs and 220 lb mlbs with dbs all under 4.6 in the 40s. And none of them play offense so they would not get tired in the fourth quarter and allow easy scores. LH would be lucky to score a td in a game with top 5a schools. Why do you think we have divisions in the first place? To give a venue for small schools to play the game.
Katy's Weights:
DL: 190, 225, 180, 185, 185, 225, 235, 210, 190
DE: 205, 215, 250
LB: 175, 165, 160, 160, 170, 170, 200, 185, 185, 190, 210, 192, 175, 175

I don't know which of these players start, but judging from the guys on their roster, they don't quite fit your description of a 5A defense...and they're arguably the best 5A team in the state.

LHPfactory
12-11-2007, 09:18 AM
I went to a 4A school and we played 5A teams such as Willowridge, Angleton, and Katy-Mayde Creek.

We also played 3A schools such as Sweeney, Hitchcock, and schools that are now 3A (West Columbia and Wharton).

To be honest with you, Its the program, Sweeney and West Columbia gave us a tougher game than Willowridge back in the late 80s (The ridge was a power house in 5a back then).

I dont think LH, Celina, Gilmer, Cuero, etc would beat Katy HS but from my experience, I do believe they could beat the average 5a team.

zebrablue2
12-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
simple answer - NO

ditto..

Texasfootball2
12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Personally, I'd like to see if they can hang with Gilmer first:thinking: I haven't seen LH, but I've seen Gilmer twice. Living in Abilene, I've seen this years Abilene High team grow up and I know most of the kids. I think everyone would agree that Abilene High is pretty good. In my opinion, only Abilene Highs center and QB could start for Gilmer on offense. Thats not a knock on the Abilene High kids, it's a compliment to the Gilmer kids. You can pick at that statement all you want but unless you eyeballed both teams and seen them play you have no idea about the comparison. If LH can hang or beat Gilmer then I will be the first to say that they have to have some serious talent.

navscanmaster
12-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Personally, I'd like to see if they can hang with Gilmer first:thinking: I haven't seen LH, but I've seen Gilmer twice. Living in Abilene, I've seen this years Abilene High team grow up and I know most of the kids. I think everyone would agree that Abilene High is pretty good. In my opinion, only Abilene Highs center and QB could start for Gilmer on offense. Thats not a knock on the Abilene High kids, it's a compliment to the Gilmer kids. You can pick at that statement all you want but unless you eyeballed both teams and seen them play you have no idea about the comparison. If LH can hang or beat Gilmer then I will be the first to say that they have to have some serious talent. :clap: :clap: Good post. I didn't know that Gilmer's line was that talented from tackle to tackle. I really want to make that game. Wasn't there something a while back about Gilmer actually being rated highly in the nation, even though they are just a 3A school?

LH Panther Mom
12-11-2007, 04:13 PM
Wasn't there something a while back about Gilmer actually being rated highly in the nation, even though they are just a 3A school?
I think they were 23rd a couple of weeks ago, but I have zero clue where that ranking came from. :thinking: