PDA

View Full Version : Area Outlook for 2008-2009

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Columbus...I don't know how Columbus is going to replace Beaird, Carter and Leyendecker. They are returning an OT that gets about 4 letters per week from what I hear, so that's something they've got going for them. They look to be headed in the right direction.

Giddings...how do you replace Brock, Dock and Locke? I think Brock's younger brother will be a freshman next year (he was the 8th Grade starting QB this season). I doubt he'll start on varsity, but it's possible. The Flex Bone is a tough offense to prepare for, so they've got that going for them.

Bellville...as long as Garrett Nunn is in the backfield, anything's possible. Think of this season as a fluke. Bellville WILL be back next year.

Smithville...(clears throat)

Caldwell...They run the Slot T, but not as good as Liberty Hill. Sorry, just had to throw that in there. :D

Navasota...Might they have a new Head Coach? Fedora may go to USM with his big brother. If Navasota gets Pratt more involved in the offense and the defense can crank it up a notch, they'll be a team to be reckoned with.

La Grange...They lost a few key pieces. We'll see how the Leopards do going forward. I think they're on the decline.

Needville...Thadeus Wilkerson's gone. I hope they have a nice looking JV runner waiting in the wings.

Just my outlook on next season for a number of area 3A teams.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

navscanmaster
12-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Columbus...I don't know how Columbus is going to replace Beaird, Carter and Leyendecker. They are returning an OT that gets about 4 letters per week from what I hear, so that's something they've got going for them. They look to be headed in the right direction.

Giddings...how do you replace Brock, Dock and Locke? I think Brock's younger brother will be a freshman next year (he was the 8th Grade starting QB this season). I doubt he'll start on varsity, but it's possible. The Flex Bone is a tough offense to prepare for, so they've got that going for them.

Bellville...as long as Garrett Nunn is in the backfield, anything's possible. Think of this season as a fluke. Bellville WILL be back next year.

Smithville...(clears throat)

Caldwell...They run the Slot T, but not as good as Liberty Hill. Sorry, just had to throw that in there. :D

Navasota...Might they have a new Head Coach? Fedora may go to USM with his big brother. If Navasota gets Pratt more involved in the offense and the defense can crank it up a notch, they'll be a team to be reckoned with.

La Grange...They lost a few key pieces. We'll see how the Leopards do going forward. I think they're on the decline.

Needville...Thadeus Wilkerson's gone. I hope they have a nice looking JV runner waiting in the wings.

Just my outlook on next season for a number of area 3A teams.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Needville - Already has Hadjik (sp??).

Smithville - They...uh....nevermind. Good luck to them. They deserve a winning season by now.

Old Tiger
12-10-2007, 08:29 AM
rockdale and LH should do well.

TexanFan4Life
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
rockdale and LH should do well.

who is this LH that you speak of?

Pudlugger
12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
La Grange will be alright. They are in a good position to reload the O line and have a very strong sophomore class moving up this year. Henderson, the back up qb this past year, will replace Allen and he has both size and a strong arm and will fill the role well as the leader on offense. Coach Walker has been developing the talent at the sub varsity level rather than moving the sophomores up sooner and playing a lot of juniors as starters. He definitely played the seniors on varsity more the past three seasons than in La Grange under Valastro. This might be due to the fact that his system is still in its early stages of development. It takes 4 or 5 years to bring up the 7th and 8th grade athletes to starting roles at the varsity level.

Next year will be his 4th season at La Grange so we should begin to see more underclassmen on varsity and even starting as the sophomores will have only been exposed to his system and the juniors all but the 7th grade have been in his offensive scheme.

By district the Leps will be competitive and will probably fight it out for a playoff position in whatever district they are in (D25 Region 4 is my guess).