PDA

View Full Version : what makes football fans root against teams they have never seen play?

lostaussie
12-09-2007, 08:38 PM
it's fairly obvious, and I am in the same boat, that fans for one reason or another, root against teams across the state that they have never seen play. is it jeaulosy of a program, posters whom you don't like, I wanted to play team so and so because they are more of a headliner. i'm just curious. i have my thoughts but i would like to see other people's opinions.

CHSfan
12-09-2007, 08:42 PM
its jealousy!! we get that alot!! lol :D

lostaussie
12-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by CHSfan
its jealousy!! we get that alot!! lol :D i don't doubt that in some instances. for me, i guess it's a little different. instead of me being jealous, that team gets respect. that's why i think so much of the Cuero's and LH's and AW's and Celina's. they are getting it done. and personally
I don't want to run from that. those are the teams i enjoy getting a chance to play. slowly but surely i am getting to see them all. Cuero would be next on the list. Hopefully one day it will happen.

Emerson1
12-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Mainly posters I don't like. I don't care if SLC and Ceilna keep on winning, they win because they care alot more then the programs they are beating down.

CHSfan
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i don't doubt that in some instances. for me, i guess it's a little different. instead of me being jealous, that team gets respect. that's why i think so much of the Cuero's and LH's and AW's and Celina's. they are getting done. and personally
I don't want to run from that. those are the teams i enjoy getting a chance to play. slowly but surely i am getting to see them all. Cuero would be next on the list. Hopefully one day it will happen.

go to austin burger stadium saturday at 6 and u can see them play!

SpeedOption
12-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Usually its the people who talk smack that determine that. Also this time of year its more intense with the semi's and the finals going on. There is a lot at stake. History for the players, coaches, schools, commmunity, the parents having a life through their kids, the importance of high school football in our state, and the fear of what is not known in the subsequent week or weeks. The fear of its over what do I do now? It comes from the fear of the unknown and what the unknown can take away from you ie more smack talk, state title, which begets more smack talk, and what the importance of a state title can bring to you, ie self-worth, importance, and meaning. In 30 years people can still say we were the champions. People are remembered in their towns for a state championship. Even if they dont graduate, graduate and have no job skills, and/or do nothing with their lives. Its a very important time/event in every household. Its a time that will never be again. People place so much importance on the holy grail (and rightfully so IMHO) that when they lose its so heartbreaking. But everything has its place in time. Enjoy this time, but dont put so much into it that it determines your future.
I have seen so many kids walking the streets who won or almost won state. And the 1000's that never got that far. Or selling auto parts at the local NAPA. (there is nothing wrong with that ok). But to let your whole life be determined by 20 weeks of football is foolish. Play the game. Remember its a special time. Enjoy it. But prepare for the future. And for 99.9% that dont mean playing on Sundays. Enjoy this time. It will never come again.

lostaussie
12-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by CHSfan
go to austin burger stadium saturday at 6 and u can see them play! sorry, Ill be busy:D

CHSfan
12-09-2007, 08:57 PM
sorry, Ill be busy:D
your loss i will deff. be there!!! wouldnt miss it for the world!!

JR2004
12-09-2007, 09:02 PM
If I root against a team it's usually because of the fans of that team. I root against Lincoln and Roosevelt because both of those schools are heated rivals. I set that aside though when those schools are in the playoffs.

Any schools I root for besides Madison are based on if I enjoy watching that team play. I like watching Gilmer play when it's not against a DISD school. (Hopefully our OC did too since he was at the Velt game. I'm hopeful that he picked up a thing or two from Gilmer that we can use next season.)

CheerMom
12-09-2007, 09:33 PM
The arrogance of the fans and bad sportsmanship whether they win or lose.
Not necessarily from the players but once again the fans.

JJ7997
12-09-2007, 09:45 PM
This is my explanation, hope it makes sense.

Gilmer : I do have a ton of respect for the Buckeyes but I rooted for Wylie because I have just always liked Wylie. I am rooting for Liberty Hill because I honestly like them too and I want them to win back2back titles to cement their place among the all time greats. Its no personal dislike of Gilmer.

Cuero : I am rooting for China Spring because they are from 17-3A and I'll stay loyal to the district. There were alot of their fans rooting for us during our title run in 2000. Again, nothing against Cuero.

I have rooted against Celina in the past, but I got into that Orange Kool-Aid and well, I guess if Cuero wins this week I'll have to root against the Gobblers again. :thinking: :D

boudreaux
12-09-2007, 09:52 PM
The arrogance of posters or fans. Turns me off to a team immediately.

In watching a live game, unless I already have a favorite, I'll go with the underdog.

lostaussie
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
This is my explanation, hope it makes sense.

Gilmer : I do have a ton of respect for the Buckeyes but I rooted for Wylie because I have just always liked Wylie. I am rooting for Liberty Hill because I honestly like them too and I want them to win back2back titles to cement their place among the all time greats. Its no personal dislike of Gilmer.

i knew you would take the bait, but you gave me a fair answer. just is curious to me why you made the post, or why GoBlue always digs on Snyder. and i'm not picking on you two. there is alot of it that goes on. I guess with me, it's all about respect. i like the underdogs, but I'm not gonna diss on the teams that I respect, even though sometimes I like to see an upset:devil:

Ranger Mom
12-09-2007, 10:01 PM
I agree with all that said the arrogance of the posters.

As far as the Gilmer/LH game, I am going for the Panthers simply because of my friendship with LH Panther Mom.

Same goes for Cuero and 44inarow.....(it's a girl thing!):D

I am going for Snyder in the Snyder/Celina match-up because Snyder is in our district.....and I really like DaHop too!!:p

3afan
12-09-2007, 10:05 PM
"what makes football fans root against teams they have never seen play?"

smug, arrogant, condescending posters ...

JJ7997
12-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

As far as the Gilmer/LH game, I am going for the Panthers simply because of my friendship with LH Panther Mom.

I am going for Snyder in the Snyder/Celina match-up because Snyder is in our district.....and I really like DaHop too!!:p

You really need to try this Orange Kool-Aid, just might make you change that last one. :D

Ranger Mom
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
You really need to try this Orange Kool-Aid, just might make you change that last one. :D

I highly doubt it....thanks all the same though!!:)

SpeedOption
12-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

Originally posted by boudreaux
The arrogance of posters or fans. Turns me off to a team immediately.

I agree, this would be the number 1 reason. Thank you.

FootballFanatic
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by SpeedOption
People are remembered in their towns for a state championship. Even if they dont graduate, graduate and have no job skills, and/or do nothing with their lives. Its a very important time/event in every household. Its a time that will never be again. People place so much importance on the holy grail (and rightfully so IMHO) that when they lose its so heartbreaking. But everything has its place in time. Enjoy this time, but dont put so much into it that it determines your future... Enjoy it. But prepare for the future. And for 99.9% that dont mean playing on Sundays. Enjoy this time. It will never come again.

According to a newspaper article, the Celina O-Line may all be going to Harvard, Yale or Cornell. Damn those Bobcats, they're good in football and academics.

44INAROW
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM

makes sense to me.. I just wish the LH/Gilmer game was at noon on Saturday so the "party" could just come on down 35 to Austin and watch the Cuero/China Spring game - then we could all cheer together;)

Buckeye1980
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I think people just like the underdog and wants to root aganst the favorite. I do not know how thatwould work with Gilmer -Liberty Hill. LH is the defending state champ and Gilmer is 63-4 since 2003....how can you say anyone is an underdog? But I believe our Buckeyes will relish the role.;)

pirate4state
12-09-2007, 11:03 PM

I couldn't have said it any better! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rangerjoe33
12-09-2007, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

That and usually their opponent is an underdog, I for whatever reason love the underdog...

I use to not think too much about the posters, etc...but there is another board over in the east and if you do not have anything positive to say about the Buckeyes you are immediately labeled a hater, nevermind you might have a completely objective and realistic view of a match-up. That really gets old. Especially when you are simply a huge high school football fan.

DeeStroyer71
12-10-2007, 01:43 AM
One or two bad apples can spoil the whole bunch as far as arrogant fans go. I try not to let their bad behavior influence my feelings towards sports teams. It is difficult at times.

sweetwater07
12-10-2007, 01:52 AM
it's fairly obvious, and I am in the same boat, that fans for one reason or another, root against teams across the state that they have never seen play. is it jeaulosy of a program, posters whom you don't like, I wanted to play team so and so because they are more of a headliner. i'm just curious. i have my thoughts but i would like to see other people's opinions.

i wouldn't know

i've never done it

:D :D

injuredinmelee
12-10-2007, 03:33 AM
jerk fans and posters

RMAC
12-10-2007, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33
That and usually their opponent is an underdog, I for whatever reason love the underdog...

I use to not think too much about the posters, etc...but there is another board over in the east and if you do not have anything positive to say about the Buckeyes you are immediately labeled a hater, nevermind you might have a completely objective and realistic view of a match-up. That really gets old. Especially when you are simply a huge high school football fan.

Forget them. They're just a bunch of wusses. We got the thick-skinned posters from all over the state . . . well at least the ones that are still here. What fun is a message board w/o the different points of view and the smack talk? It's better here anyways.

lostaussie
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by rangerjoe33

I use to not think too much about the posters, etc...but there is another board over in the east and if you do not have anything positive to say about the Buckeyes you are immediately labeled a hater, nevermind you might have a completely objective and realistic view of a match-up. That really gets old. Especially when you are simply a huge high school football fan. you are so right. i think lots of Gilmer fans think gilmer is the only game in town. I'm a big fan, but i do get out and watch some other teams. it really gets tiresome on their sometimes. but hey...............thats why i hang out over here:)

Tromboneking
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I agree. It is the poster and the way the fans are that turn me off. I can't stand trash talk just for the sake of trash talk. It is one thing to support your team and have a civilized discussion and one that is just trash talk. I always say, win with class...

Texasfootball2
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
I will be routing for Gilmer this Weekend and here's why. I've never seen Liberty Hill play. The people on the downlow from Liberty Hill seem to be great fans and appear to have a lot of class and pride. But I've have had the privelage of seeing Gilmer play two weeks in a row. First off, I always seem to rout for the team that knocks us off. I always want to lose to the best. Second, the Gilmer players and fans have made a fan out of me. Espcially #22 Johnson and #10 the QB. These guys are great players and fierce competitors, but they are great sports also. I've seen Johnson pickup the opposing players from the other team after they just got through tackling him and pat them on the back, #10 does the same thing. Against Wylie last Sat. Johnson took some shots that I don't think he had taken all year because he's usually dishing it out, but he still showed a lot of class throughout the game. I'm not against Liberty Hill this weekend it's just that I've become a Buckeye fan for now.