PDA

View Full Version : Duping the taxpayer on school bond pleas!

Old Cardinal
02-19-2003, 07:24 PM
In a time when wholesale squandering of taxpayers money is so evident, I wanted to start a thread on the subject....We now have a situation where our great state is going to be short of funds...I have a real bad feeling when School Superintendents tell the Maintenance departments to "do absolutely no preventive or safety maintenance on the following buildings!" It bugs me that kids go to schools that are left unsafe, and hazardous for periods of time, just so some "master plan" can be instituted to demolish existing structures to build new structures. There is a great deal of duping of taxpayers going on around Texas,in my humble opinion. What are you thoughts on this subject? Education is declining according to all surveys, but political ploys that start with "But it's for the Children", are running rampant.

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Billy Boy
02-19-2003, 09:30 PM
I retired from state goverment after 30 years. I know how they operate and throw money away. I seen 50,000 spent on a peice of equipment that was never used and than sold for pennies a few years later. Money was wasted at the end of the year so they could get funded at the same level the next year. :mad:

VWG
02-19-2003, 10:38 PM
I agree that money is wasted in some areas, but I also don't mind paying more taxes to build better facilities for my kids.
Let's face it, the reason that a lot of people live where they live is for their kids, and the school system.
On the other hand, I think the 2A school that was created in Wichita Falls (City View) recently was a waste of taxpayers money. You have 3 4A schools in Wichita Falls and 3A Iowa Park right outside the city limits. Plus, the WFISD has an open policy where all students can choose which WFISD school they want to attend. So why build another high school to feed only 200 or so kids? Didn't make sense to me, but it passed and the Wichita County voters paid for it.