PDA

View Full Version : Rice Outlasts Refugio 7-6

TexanFan4Life
12-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Refugio mishandled a PAT in the 1st Half, then missed a 39 yard FG with 0:09 left in the game BADLY!!

Refugio outgained Rice in this one by about 175 yards and still found a way to lose.

Good season to the Refugio Bobcats!

pirate4state
12-08-2007, 12:57 AM
It was crazy. Twice Refugio was driving and in the red zone & twice they fumbled the ball!!! :doh: :doh: The last one was the killer. Perfect play on 4th & 6, got the 1st down and seemed to have a clear walk in to the end zone and the defenders swarmed in and stripped the ball!!! WOW just WOW!!

Great game!!

Well, not so much if you are a Refugio fan. :(

CheerMom
12-08-2007, 02:35 AM
Great to see ya at the game Rita....thanks for bringing the flag for me to sign and I guess the curse has been lifted....LOL.

R4Editor
12-08-2007, 09:10 AM
didnt Refugio lose last year on last second FG also?

zebrablue2
12-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
Great to see ya at the game Rita....thanks for bringing the flag for me to sign and I guess the curse has been lifted....LOL.

great win for the rice program. one win away from the big dance, and two more for the rings. lots of luck in week 15, and what a honor to be playing in it.

Bull's-eye
12-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Any details on the next game for Rice?

gobbler grad
12-08-2007, 02:24 PM
Raiders nip Bobcats in thriller

BY COY SLAVIK - ADVOCATE SPORTS EDITOR
December 08, 2007

SAN ANTONIO – Refugio coach Jason Herring said his Bobcats were snakebit. The Rice Consolidated Raiders attributed it to some heavenly intervention.

Whatever the case, the Raiders are headed to the Class 2A, Division II semifinals for the first time in school history.

Refugio’s Eric Martinez missed a 39-yard field goal with nine seconds left in the game as Rice Consolidated hung on to a 7-6 victory over the Bobcats in the Class 2A, Division II quarterfinals at Farris Stadium.

“I told everybody to get on one knee and pray,” said Rice Consolidated running back Zacchaeus Foster, who scored the Raiders’ lone touchdown on an 80-yard run in the second quarter. “It was unbelievable.”

Rice Consolidated improved to 13-1 and will play Elysian Fields, a 19-13 winner over Arp on Friday night, in the semifinals. Refugio finished with a 13-1 record and hasn’t reached the semifinal round since 2000.

The Bobcats moved the ball effectively throughout the game. But turnovers on consecutive second-half possessions at the Raiders’ 25- and 3-yard lines were too much for Refugio to overcome.

“It wasn’t a matter of us doing anything wrong,” Herring said of the Bobcats, who had 341 total yards. “It was just a matter of executing and finishing the job.”

Trailing 7-6, the Bobcats appeared to be headed to a go-ahead score early in the fourth quarter. On fourth-and-3 from the Raiders’ 21, quarterback Malcolm Whitmire threw over the middle to wide-open tight end Ryan Deal at 10. Deal hauled in the pass, but was stripped of the ball by safety Taylor Cook, who recovered the ball at the 3.

“All I thought about was stripping the ball from him,” Cook said. “I just tried to hit him as hard as I could.”

Rice Consolidated then held on to the ball for seven minutes before the Refugio stopped the Raiders and regained possession at its 41 with 1:34 left.

Two plays later, Whitmire connected with Carl Swain on a 33-yard pass play to the Rice Consolidated 26. Whitmire threw two incompletions and gained 4 yards on a keeper on third down before Martinez came on to the field for the potential game-winning field goal.

Dumont called a timeout in an attempt to ice Martinez and the junior’s field-goal try never got more than 10 feet off the ground before it rolled harmlessly into the end zone.

The Raiders had only 9 yards of total offense in the fist quarter. But after a Bobcats drive stalled at the Rice Consolidated 16, Foster, who rushed for 145 yards on 22 carries to raise his season yardage total to 2,498 yards, broke loose on an 80-yard touchdown run for the game’s first score.

“The tight end got a good block on the linebacker,” Foster said. “I knew when I got past him, there was no catching me.”

Luis Samaniego’s extra point made it 7-0 with 8:55 left in the second quarter.

The Bobcats then went 72 yards in 12 plays on their next possession to pull within 7-6.

Swain had five carries for 20 yards and caught one pass for 10 yards to set up Collin Avery’s 17-yard touchdown run with 2:40 remaining in the half.

But Whitmire mishandled the snap on the ensuing extra point to allow Rice Consolidated to carry its 7-6 lead into halftime.

“I just told them we were going to have to make up for it,” Herring said of the missed extra point. “We were thinking some time during the night we would be able to score, because we were moving the ball all over them.”

The Raiders have dedicated the season to Raul Esquivel, who was a team captain before he was killed in an auto accident during preseason workouts. Dumont said his players drew inspiration from their fallen teammate before going back out for the second half.

“He’s in our hearts and we think about him a lot,” Dumont said. “At halftime, I told them we have 24 minutes and (Raul’s) smiling right now because he already knows the outcome.”

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing: Refugio, Carl Swan 18-95, Collin Avery 15-89, Malcolm Whitmire 5-13. Rice Consolidated, Zacchaeus Foster 22-145, Taylor Cook 6-10.

Passing: Refugio, Whitmire 12-22-0, 144; Kyle Hendley 0-1-0. Rice Consolidated, Cook 2-10-0, 33.

Receiving: Refugio, Ricky Lewis 5-49, Swain 2-45, Irvin Fox 2-18, Avery 2-14, Ryan Deal 1-18. Rice Consolidated, Marquis Toliver 1-18, Sylvester Middleton 1-15.

maestro
12-08-2007, 06:04 PM
congrats to the raiders....

coach dumont is one tough competitor.......

CheerMom
12-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Any details on the next game for Rice?

Friday night at 8:00pm at Waco ISD against Elysian Fields.

44INAROW
12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
Congrats to the Raiders :clap: :clap: Good Luck next week against EF