PDA

View Full Version : Penn State students dress as Virg. Tech shooting victims

mistanice
12-07-2007, 03:09 PM
It started with a picture on Facebook and has now created a firestorm of outrage.

Two Penn State students, dressed as Virginia Tech shooting victims, at a Halloween party have enraged people from the Virginia Tech community, as well as the entire country.

10 On Your Side has seen all of the controversial pictures. They are of two Penn State students and are extremely graphic. Both are wearing Virginia Tech t-shirts and elaborate make-up. Both have bullet holes in their bodies.

Our decision not to show you the pictures is a result of our desire to be sensitive to a community that is still grieving. We also want to show respect to the shooting victims, their families, and their friends. Showing these pictures would serve no purpose.

We talked with one of the students who wore the costume. He said the outfits were worn to a small party and meant to be private.

"It's not that it was funny, it's that we are notorious and infamous in the state college, so we have to do things that push the envelope just for shock value," he said.

Penn State officials were quick to respond to the costumes.

"We are appalled that these individuals would display this level of insensitivity, indifference, and lack of common decency and sense by dressing up in this manner," the school said.

"The fact that one of these individuals is actually from Virginia, makes it even more difficult to understand. Just because something is within the bounds of the Constitution and free speech, does not mean it should be undertaken. We certainly condemn these ugly and senseless actions. Most Penn Staters are as offended by this as anyone from Virginia Tech would be-- and rightfully so. These two people do not represent 90,000 Penn State students. They represent themselves."

After seeing the pictures, a Virginia Tech student created a Facebook group called, "People Against This Costume." Some of the upset members have left threatening messages to the Penn State students.

"This is a group of college students who now think it's trendy to be upset about their friends being killed," one of the two Penn State students who wore the costume said. "I don't know what they teach people in Virginia Tech, but at Penn State we don't learn to threaten people with murder to teach them that murdering is wrong."

He goes on to defend the pictures.

"The thing is, everybody's making a big stink about Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was 32 deaths out of the 26 thousand that happen in America everyday," he said. "That's the problem with college students. They all live in an ivory tower of privilege. They don't understand, when it all boils down to it, it's someone wearing a costume."

Reaction from Tech students and Blacksburg residents was disgust.

"That somebody would have the nerve to mock [the victims]. They were really good people," said local business owner, Carol Gwin.

Gwin knew three of the victims in the shootings and considered them cherished friends.Link (http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS%2FMGArticle%2FSLS_BasicArt icle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353763706&path=!news!localnews)

3afan
12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
how STUPID can you be?

pirate4state
12-07-2007, 03:13 PM
OMG :doh: :doh: :doh: :dispntd: :dispntd: :speech:

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2007, 03:14 PM
uhhh wow is all i can say

lakers
12-07-2007, 03:16 PM
That guy is pathetic...:dispntd:

Adidas410s
12-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
"The thing is, everybody's making a big stink about Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech was 32 deaths out of the 26 thousand that happen in America everyday," he said. "That's the problem with college students. They all live in an ivory tower of privilege. They don't understand, when it all boils down to it, it's someone wearing a costume."

Interesting point...and it's true. Welcome to the world of instant media. If a story has "news appeal" then media outlets run with it. That's one of the big reasons you don't hear about the multiple people killed in south Dallas every day. It's not news...it has no "shock value." It's not that the VT killings effect you or me any different than somebody that's shot on the streets of LA...it's that the media gives us every angle of the story and "makes us care."

That being said...it's just not PC to do something like this. Welcome to the world of being PC...

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Interesting point...and it's true. Welcome to the world of instant media. If a story has "news appeal" then media outlets run with it. That's one of the big reasons you don't hear about the multiple people killed in south Dallas every day. It's not news...it has no "shock value." It's not that the VT killings effect you or me any different than somebody that's shot on the streets of LA...it's that the media gives us every angle of the story and "makes us care."

That being said...it's just not PC to do something like this. Welcome to the world of being PC...

I am agianst PC as much as someone can be..but sorry this is classless..Do they have the right, yes they do, should they be punished, prob not, but it still does not mean it goes beyond the bounds of respect especially in the same year that the tragedy happen

Plus to be honest, it is not even a funny, cute, or cool costume..Seems to me they were doing this JUST for attention

And sorry, but if a murder happens in Dallas, it is in the newspaper, and all over the news stations

Maroon87
12-07-2007, 03:22 PM
That's like Bill Maher dressing up as Steve Irwin with a stingray barb sticking out of his chest...:rolleyes:

Adidas410s
12-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
And sorry, but if a murder happens in Dallas, it is in the newspaper, and all over the news stations

In Dallas there were over 200 murders in 2005...something tells me that they weren't all over the news stations.

Also, reported murders fell to 187 in 2006. The number was almost 240 in 2004.

JJ7997
12-07-2007, 03:36 PM
Thats BS ! They need their butts kicked over that . :mad: :mad:

buff4ever
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM
These two should be taken out in front of the public and be shot.

King_LeYoeNidas
12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
these kids so just gave me an idea nexy halloween I'm gonna wear my old Vick jersey, get some fake cornrows and drag a stuffed puppy on a chain to work. sweeet

JHS_c/o_06'
12-07-2007, 05:38 PM
you know, people are getting outraged by this when we really have no right. There is SOOOOO much stuff that makes fun of things at other countries and the misfortune of people in other nations. And we all laugh at South Park (like myself) and stuff like that. But when someone makes fun of OUR misfortune, all of a sudden we become moral, conservative and all that stuff. So......its whatever.

zebrablue2
12-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
how STUPID can you be?

LOTS of sick people in the world, right.....

Old Tiger
12-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Those idiots should be ashamed of themselves. Where is their morals? Morons!

buff4life
12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That's like Bill Maher dressing up as Steve Irwin with a stingray barb sticking out of his chest...:rolleyes:

NOT quite as bad...

iknoweverything
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by buff4ever
These two should be taken out in front of the public and be shot.

Yeah lets shoot them for making fun of a shooting. That comment was just as bad as them wearing the costumes.

Footballhudini
12-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by iknoweverything
Yeah lets shoot them for making fun of a shooting. That comment was just as bad as them wearing the costumes.

I think it would be worse. I mean, people who mock in appearance aren't necessarily mocking in action. This guy actually WANTS to kill.

sick

iknoweverything
12-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Footballhudini
I think it would be worse. I mean, people who mock in appearance aren't necessarily mocking in action. This guy actually WANTS to kill.

sick

True true

GoStafford
12-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I can't believe that tony has allowed this

buff4life
12-08-2007, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Footballhudini

sick

his statement was a joke...

VAMike
12-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Note to the moderators:

Why would you even permit the posting of the photos????

Does anyone think that those stupid kids did this for any reason other than the attention they knew it would bring? And now we just play along and continue spreading this vile trash.

This reminds me of a pathetic excuse Bill OReilly used to "justify" his display of some tabloid photos of a movie star during a story slamming the tabloids for putting the photos out there. "We had to show them so you would know what we were talking about." Yeah, right.

rockdale80
12-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by VAMike
Note to the moderators:

Why would you even permit the posting of the photos????

Does anyone think that those stupid kids did this for any reason other than the attention they knew it would bring? And now we just play along and continue spreading this vile trash.

This reminds me of a pathetic excuse Bill OReilly used to "justify" his display of some tabloid photos of a movie star during a story slamming the tabloids for putting the photos out there. "We had to show them so you would know what we were talking about." Yeah, right.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big daddy russ
12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It's not here in Houston. Not even close.

Buccaneer
12-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
his statement was a joke...

So were the Penn State students intentions!

Adidas410s
12-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's not here in Houston. Not even close.

Houston has over 300 each year...doubt they all get reported...

mistanice
12-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Houston has over 300 each year...doubt they all get reported...

The rate rose after Hurricane Katrina evacuees arrived.