PDA

View Full Version : Wylie's consistency starts with the staff (article)

Adidas410s
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM
While we've been ripping on the Abilene paper lately for their poor coverage of the local sports and horrible writing...this is actually a pretty good article. I didn't post the pictures, but follow the link I've included to the article and it shows you how long each coach has been at Wylie. I find it quite impressive that 6 of Sandifer's top assistants have a combined 114 years experience working under him at Wylie. Two other assistants have been there at least 9 years that aren't pictured.

http://reporternews.com/news/2007/dec/06/wylies-consistency-starts-with-the-staff/

In his 22 years as the head football coach at Wylie High School, Hugh Sandifer has built a program that's been as successful as any in the state -- including a Class 3A state championship in 2004.

But Sandifer quickly says he hasn't done it alone. As far as he is concerned, he has one of the best teams of assistant coaches in the business -- including some who have worked with him at Wylie since day one.

"I'm very fortunate as a head coach to the have the staff I do and to have kept these guys as long as I have," he said. "All of those guys could coach somewhere else and do whatever they want to do. But they've all bought into what we're doing here and invested everything for a common goal."

Eight Wylie assistants have been at the school for at least nine years. Four of Sandifer's assistants have been with him since he took over the head job in 1985 -- something that's almost unheard of in today's coaching world.

"We're definitely the exception to the norm," Sandifer said. "We've been through some good times and we've been through some tough times, too, but the consistency of our staff is such an asset to our program."

Not all of the Wylie assistant coaches planned to stay as long as they have.

Defensive line coach Eddie Lang and tight end/special teams coach Terry Barrington came to Wylie thinking they might get a few years of experience before possibly moving on. But after spending several years on Sandifer's staff, and interacting on Sandifer's staff, and interacting with the Wylie students and community, neither wanted to leave.

"When I got here," Lang said, "it was sort of a home. Coach Sandifer is just such a great coach. He takes care of everything and just lets us coach."

Trust and confidence are huge ingredients in Wylie's football success. The assistant coaches' belief in Sandifer have kept them at Wylie and working hard for the program. Sandifer's trust in his assistants has allowed everyone to work more efficiently.

"It's been such a time-saving thing to have that consistency," Sandifer said. "A lot of staffs would have to meet an hour to discuss one play. I can go in there and write it on a chalkboard and know that it's going to be taught the right way. It's huge as far as communication, trust and belief in each other."

Another huge asset to the Wylie staff is its ability to adapt.

Several members of Sandifer's staff have been with the school for more than 20 years and have seen great change in football during that time. For example, today's Wylie coaches and players are more likely to see a spread offense -- one that forces defenders to try to cover a larger portion of the field -- than when Sandifer first took over the program.

The Wylie staff has adapted and embraced those changes -- something Sandifer credits for much of his success.

"One great thing about our staff is that we've stayed current with new trends on both offense and defense. We're all students of the game," Sandifer said. "We're coaching second generation kids now, so for us to be able to plug in with those kids, we have to keep up with the times. I think we've done a great job of that."

Adjustments between seasons has allowed Sandifer's program to be successful over two decades.

But the adjustments the Wylie staff makes between games and between plays are often just important.

In Class 3A football, coaches face the task of preparing for many different looks both on offense and defensively. Thanks to the relentless work the Wylie coaching staff does in games and in preparation of games, the Bulldogs always have a solid gameplan for each.

"I think we believe in each other, believe in our kids and our kids believe in us as coaches," Barrington said. "We're willing to make adjustments and changes. One thing we've learned over the years is that you have to do what you think is best for that week."

With a semifinal matchup coming up at 6 p.m. Saturday against Gilmer in North Richland Hills, Sandifer and his staff will have their hands full putting together a plan to combat the Buckeyes' athleticism.

But one thing opposing coaches and Wylie fans have learned over the past 22 years is that you can never count one of Sandifer's teams out.

"Gilmer's obviously talented, but we feel like we've got a pretty good team too," Sandifer said. "I think we'll have them ready to play."

BMOC
12-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Great article. Sandifer and his staff really do deserve that credit. They have been consistently good over the years.

Adidas410s
12-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by BMOC
Great article. That staff really does deserve that credit.

I started to feel old when I read that Ruffin has been there 11 years. I forgot he started at Wylie the same time I moved there from Abilene schools in 8th grade.

Stownhorse
12-07-2007, 10:46 AM
All I have to say is look out Gilmer.

BMOC
12-07-2007, 10:48 AM
I can't believe its been 22 years that they have been at Wylie....time flies when your having fun.