PDA

View Full Version : School Shares Name, Similar Logo as Beer

kepdawg
12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Lewisville school shares same name, similar logo as Killian's beer 11:14 AM CT

11:47 AM CST on Thursday, December 6, 2007

By JAY PARSONS and MARISSA ALANIS / The Dallas Morning News

The two Killians share a name, a mustang mascot and similar logos. One is a new Lewisville middle school. The other is an old Irish beer.

“It’s highly coincidental,” Lewisville ISD spokesman Dean Tackett said.

Killian Middle School, which opened in August, is named after retired school administrator Michael Killian. A seventh-grader there noticed the oddity when she saw a six-pack of Killian’s Irish Red lager in her parents’ refrigerator.

“She looked at it and said, ‘Hey, that’s the logo of our school,’.” parent Jim Ross said. “They’ve got a beer logo as their school mascot. It’s unbelievable.”

George Killian Lett first brewed the beer in 1864. His descendants still live in Ireland. Jenny Volanakis, a spokeswoman for Coors – which owns Killian’s Irish Red – said the company never heard of the middle school.

She said: “We are not affiliated with the school and never would be.”

Killian Middle School students picked the mustang as their mascot among 14 choices in a vote earlier this year. Other options included the warriors, titans, patriots, colts, cyclones and coyotes.

With the mascot chosen, a teacher then created the logo. Like the mustang on the beer casing, the school’s logo crops the horse into a left-facing profile cut off at the neck.

The school colored its mascot blue, while the beer uses gold. The school’s horse also has slightly longer mane, different shading and a lower tilt of the head. Nonetheless, Mr. Ross said the school erred.

“The fact that they jumped on the bandwagon of a beer company when they’re so down on drinking, it’s ludicrous,” Mr. Ross said. “Who was dumb enough not to look into it?”

Killian principal Alan Cassel referred questions to Mr. Tackett, who said administrators were unaware of the similarities. No one has complained to the school, he said.

“Everyone knows who the school’s named after,” Mr. Tackett said. “Does it really make a difference? I don’t know. It’s a pretty long stretch to me. Certainly we’re not there to sell Killian’s beer.”

Mr. Tackett said the school district “obviously … doesn’t want any reference to alcohol at any campus.”

Still, school officials don’t believe the logo promotes drinking and would not push for a quick switch, Mr. Tackett said. It’d be up to Mr. Cassel whether to survey parents and consider a change.

Mr. Tackett said the school’s namesake, Dr. Killian, does not drink alcohol. Dr. Killian, who began working for the Lewisville district in 1982, retired in June as the deputy superintendent. He could not be reached for comment.

Superintendent Jerry Roy declined to comment through Mr. Tackett.

Parents interviewed at the school said they were struck by the similarities when shown pictures of the two logos.

“Wow,” parent April Berry said. “It bothers me a little bit now that I’ve seen it, especially because middle school kids are starting to understand what alcohol is and all that stuff.”

Several parents said they wouldn’t demand a change but would support a new mascot.

“If it’s for a good cause, why not?” said parent Michelle De La Cruz.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/120707dnmetlogo.72c37d5d.html)

Beer
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/12-07/1207logo.jpg

School
http://www.lisd.net/schools/killian/Logos/Killianmustang3dsmallerthum.jpg

bigron15
12-06-2007, 02:07 PM
its hard not to replicate a horse. doesnt look the same to me. beer wouldnt be the first thing that pops in my head when i see the logo

navscanmaster
12-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Those two logos don't even look alike to me. Horse's head is at a different angle, necks are different, colors, mane.....just another cause of the moment for people who have nothing better to do then gripe.

Ranger Mom
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Good Lord....what next???:doh:

I would NEVER have thought the 2 looked anything alike!!

Plus, I have never even heard of that beer in all my 43 years!!

There sure are some paranoid people in this world today!!!

Adidas410s
12-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I find it odd considering these are typical logos used for "mustang"...

http://www.motorpasion.com/images/ford_mustang_logo.jpg

http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/Sweetwater/StickHorse1.jpg

http://www.collegeshade.com/images_products/17008_big.jpg

BullFrog Dad
12-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Good Lord....what next???:doh: Cuero having to change their mascot.

3afan
12-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Those two logos don't even look alike to me. Horse's head is at a different angle, necks are different, colors, mane.....just another cause of the moment for people who have nothing better to do then gripe.

agree

JT44
12-06-2007, 03:09 PM
what about good ol' shiner,tx

SWMustang
12-06-2007, 03:14 PM
did anyone find it ironic that the parent (Mr. Ross) was so offended about the logo, yet he was the one with the 6 pack of Killian's in his fridge.

crzyjournalist03
12-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The school colored its mascot blue, while the beer uses gold. The school’s horse also has slightly longer mane, different shading and a lower tilt of the head.

This is my favorite part of the article :D

So, except for being almost completely different, they're almost the same!!!!:clap: :p :thinking:

Johnny 5
12-06-2007, 05:12 PM
+1 to everything everyone else wrote

CHSfan
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Cuero having to change their mascot.

lol if that ever had to happen our world is going down hill!!

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
did anyone find it ironic that the parent (Mr. Ross) was so offended about the logo, yet he was the one with the 6 pack of Killian's in his fridge.
Thank you!!!!! GMAB! It's a horse head. :doh: :doh:

Panther One
12-06-2007, 07:47 PM
And every school with the Trojan mascot should change theirs because they are supporting sex, albeit safe sex.

So because this school's name and mascot draw a resemblence to an obscure beer, people want them to change it and are actually upset? Please...I'm sure these middle schoolers knew nothing about alcohol until learning of this similarity. Because there's nothing like that on TV or the internet.

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Panther One
Because there's nothing like that on TV or the internet.
Or in the 'frig :D

Big Papa
12-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Thank you!!!!! GMAB! It's a horse head. :doh: :doh:

what does GMAB mean...ive been thinking on it for a lil bit now and all i can com up with is Grab My A Baby!!

Emerson1
12-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Big Papa
what does GMAB mean...ive been thinking on it for a lil bit now and all i can com up with is Grab My A Baby!!
Wow guy, gmab if you don't know

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Give Me A Break

Panther One
12-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Grab Me A Beer...

...A Killian's Red Irish if you've got one.

crzyjournalist03
12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Grab Me A Beer...

lol...

"Beer me!"

SWMustang
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Grab Me A Beer...

that was pretty good :)