PDA

View Full Version : Did Coach Bryant and Alabama cost the Aggies the National Championship

Phil C
12-06-2007, 12:47 PM
in football in 1957. The Aggies had a great year in 1956 and finished up at 9 - 0 1 with only a 14 to 14 tie with Houston marring their record. With John David Crow and other great ones they were expecting a great run in 1957 which they got. They had a good grind it type offense led by Crow who was to win the Heisman Trophy. Their defense was tough too. The Aggies won their first 8 games and were ranked No. 1 and the NC was within their grasph. Then disaster struck. According to an ESPN program Bryant decided to take the job at Alabama as head football coach. Two mistakes were made. No. 1 it should have been hush hush by both the school and Bryant. Also Bryant didn't tell his players and they found out from the media. This was devastating to the team and very distracting. The team wasn't really the same after that they lost the next three games they played. They lost by a total of six points. One was to Rice 6 - 7, Texas 9-7 and Tennessee in the Gator Bowl 0 - 3.

A shame to what could have been a glorious season for the Aggies who might not only have got the Heisman Trophy winner but also the NC.

:(

BMOC
12-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I think so.

Phil C
12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
I think so.

I think so too BMOC.

The thing is back then colleges and coaches were generally very good about keeping coaching changes a secret until the last football game was played.