12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
http://campussqueeze.com/static/20-ugliest-colleges-in-the-USA.html

2 from texas...

#12 and #18

jason
12-06-2007, 11:14 AM
for those of you who don't want to look -

#12 - University of Texas at Dallas

i went to school there for a year and a half, I didn't think it was that bad - lots of concrete, not much grass areas...that new building wasnt there when i was though...

#18 - Texas A&M University - College Station

arm-pit of texas...

SWMustang
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I think it's hard for any campus in a major metropolitan area to be "pretty".

Mace Griffin
12-06-2007, 11:46 AM
guess these people have never seen Stephen F Austin in Nacogdoches

big daddy russ
12-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think it's hard for any campus in a major metropolitan area to be "pretty".
I agree with that. Honestly, I've only seen two campuses here in Texas that I would classify as even remotely "pretty," Southwest Texas and Rice.

Colleges here in Texas are just plain ugly. UT, Tech, A&M, Sam Houston, Baylor, TCU, all of them. Head east (go past Baton Rouge) and check out the campuses of Auburn, Ole Miss, and Bama. Those are some gorgeous campuses. I don't know why Texas can't seem to pull that off.

sahen
12-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I agree with that. Honestly, I've only seen two campuses here in Texas that I would classify as even remotely "pretty," Southwest Texas and Rice.

Colleges here in Texas are just plain ugly. UT, Tech, A&M, Sam Houston, Baylor, TCU, all of them. Head east (go past Baton Rouge) and check out the campuses of Auburn, Ole Miss, and Bama. Those are some gorgeous campuses. I don't know why Texas can't seem to pull that off.

i went to baylor so im biased but i always thought our campus was pretty nice...i mean not the same as rice's but i never really considered texas state nicer than baylor's campus minus the town of san marcos instead of waco (but if your going by the town its in then that is understandable), it is kinda cool taht the whole campus is on the side of a hill i guess....anyway i wouldnt call baylor's campus ugly....

big daddy russ
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i went to baylor so im biased but i always thought our campus was pretty nice...i mean not the same as rice's but i never really considered texas state nicer than baylor's campus minus the rivers i guess, it is kinda cool taht the whole campus is on the side of a hill i guess....anyway i wouldnt call baylor's campus ugly....
Maybe not ugly, but I wouldn't call it pretty either. I guess I just love the location of SWT and all the trees all over the place, along with the fact that the buildings aren't drab like UT's, A&M's and SHSU's.

sahen
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Maybe not ugly, but I wouldn't call it pretty either. I guess I just love the location of SWT and all the trees all over the place, along with the fact that the buildings aren't drab like UT's, A&M's and SHSU's.

baylor has more trees on campus than texas state, well maybe not by number since baylor is smaller but there are trees all over the older part of the campus...the area around texas state is 10X nicer than what baylor has around it though...but on the campus itself i always thought baylor was nicer....

just personal preference i guess

big daddy russ
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
baylor has more trees on campus than texas state, well maybe not by number since baylor is smaller but there are trees all over the older part of the campus...the area around texas state is 10X nicer than what baylor has around it though...but on the campus itself i always thought baylor was nicer....

just personal preference i guess
Around the bear pit? I used to go to Mickey Sullivan's baseball camp there on campus every summer for about four years, and I'm trying to remember where everything was. It's kinda foggy now.

Texas State has quite a few trees. And quite a few hills. I actually wanted to go to school there because of the scenery, haha. Hell, I toured the campus a few times for a "vacation." :D

sahen
12-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Around the bear pit? I used to go to Mickey Sullivan's baseball camp there on campus every summer for about four years, and I'm trying to remember where everything was. It's kinda foggy now.

Texas State has quite a few trees. And quite a few hills. I actually wanted to go to school there because of the scenery, haha. Hell, I toured the campus a few times for a "vacation." :D

yah the older part is the part that is all around the street that runs in front of the bear pit to the campus border, the newer part is where the new science building/student life center is (might not have been there last time u were there)....i have gone up to texas state quite a few times myself (sister goes there)...its is a very nice campus indeed....though i think they axed some of the trees to build stuff which is y i see less trees than maybe u did...i dunno, maybe my sister hasnt taken me to the right part of campus as well....

JasperDog94
12-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
guess these people have never seen Stephen F Austin in Nacogdoches SFA is one of the most beautiful campuses around. Granted I went there in the 90's but it was beautiful.

rockdale80
12-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
SFA is one of the most beautiful campuses around. Granted I went there in the 90's but it was beautiful.

Still is.

Axe Em':D

Bull19
12-06-2007, 01:22 PM
THAT LIST IS MISLEADING.....ALL ( I THINK) ARE UNIVERSITY'S, NOT COLLEGE'S.

IF IT WAS A TRUE LIST OF UGLIEST COLLEGE'S BLINN WOULD BE #1

mistanice
12-06-2007, 01:48 PM

But the new Bearkat plaza was just finished! Better than the stone age building that was there before.:cool:

Balcones fault
12-06-2007, 01:49 PM
I haven't looked at the link, but the ugliest university campus I've ever seen in Oklahoma State. Now, I'll go see how that opinion ranks with the link.

edit to add: URL blocked. Lunchtime is about over anyway.

bigron15
12-06-2007, 01:56 PM
GREAT!!! TSTC didnt make the list!!!

STANG RED
12-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bigron15
GREAT!!! TSTC didnt make the list!!!

LOL, I heard they just drove by and laughed. Didnt want to inflict any more pain by pointing it out to the rest of the world.:D

bigron15
12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
LOL, I heard they just drove by and laughed. Didnt want to inflict any more pain by pointing it out to the rest of the world.:D

HEY!!! THAT HAPPENS TO BE MY ALMA MATTER!! jkjk i could care less about that dump

except the fact my mom works there

Astrosdawg07
12-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I'll have to admit UT Tyler has a pretty nice looking campus.

sweetwater07
12-06-2007, 02:39 PM
http://campussqueeze.com/the-20-most-beautiful-colleges-in-the-usa/

theres the link for the prettiest campus......Loyola Marymount i have seen first hand this past summer and i fully agree on its ranking in this list...its amazing

Macarthur
12-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Rice's campus is beautiful. I also think TCU's campus is pretty.

DDBooger
12-06-2007, 02:48 PM
sweet, i'll be there in spring! :) the hills are a calf burner! lol

g$$
12-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by jason
for those of you who don't want to look -

#12 - University of Texas at Dallas

i went to school there for a year and a half, I didn't think it was that bad - lots of concrete, not much grass areas...that new building wasnt there when i was though...

#18 - Texas A&M University - College Station

arm-pit of texas...

The writer wrote this based on message boards. How about that for journalistic integrity? In other words, he has not been to very many of these at all. Bogus list if I ever saw one.

I graduated from Texas A&M but I still never thought of our campus as really pretty or really ugly. West Campus opens up & lots of nice trees & stuff. Now, it is not set in the beautiful Hill Country either. Any campus that big & spread out (largest acreage wise in country) is going to have lots of buildings, etc. that some may call drab. There are strict building codes on campus pertaining to brick, color, etc.

Arm pit? That would be Beaumont, not CS. Great location & no more than 3 hours from SA, Dallas, & Houston. Quick trip over to Hill Country too. You are obviously biased in that assertion.

I have seen other lists that rank A&M among the best campuses in the country. All opinion & nobody is right or wrong. To me Texas' campus is very boring set between 2 freeways. Austin itself is beautiful, but not the actual campus.

3afan
12-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by g$$
.... To me Texas' campus is very boring set between 2 freeways. Austin itself is beautiful, but not the actual campus.

and you are obviously biased in that assertion
:D

yeah UT in Austin is just more or less city blocks ... I'm an SFA grad, now thats a pretty campus, as is most of the East TX ones ... being in a city SMU is OK

g$$
12-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
and you are obviously biased in that assertion
:D

yeah UT in Austin is just more or less city blocks ... I'm an SFA grad, now thats a pretty campus, as is most of the East TX ones ... being in a city SMU is OK

No I'm not. Had 2 sisters go to UT & lots of relatives there now. Played & been to State Basketball Tourney dozens of times & other events. I know that campus well.

Writer based this list on message boards, even he admitted. No credibility at all.

JasperDog94
12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No I'm not. Had 2 sisters go to UT & lots of relatives there now. Played & been to State Basketball Tourney dozens of times & other events. I know that campus well. 3afan isn't saying that you know nothing about the campus. He's just saying that your opinion is biased because 90% of the time you post about anything UT related, it's negative.

Panther One
12-06-2007, 06:50 PM
Who cares what the campus looks like? What really matters is what the girls look like...

...and I guess the education you get is somewhat important, too.

lakers
12-06-2007, 06:53 PM
That list is very misleading and biased in itself...

Didnt look like they did all that much research...

g$$
12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
3afan isn't saying that you know nothing about the campus. He's just saying that your opinion is biased because 90% of the time you post about anything UT related, it's negative.

I respect Texas as a fine university. Lots of family & friends have gone there. I don't like Texas but I respect the school. And the campus is nothing special either. The city & surrounding Hill Country are both beautiful.

This list is bogus - read the guy's comments. Really a joke.

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
seems to me, this guy is confusing buildings for campus..Mostly he attacks the building design and color and such

and BTW..A&M-Commerce has a pretty nice campus

Old Tiger
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
A&M's campus is boring. It's like you are looking at the same building.

Daddy D 11
12-06-2007, 07:59 PM
i personally love texas techs campus

block&tackle
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
UTEP!!!

Ugly campus with a great view of the tin hovels across the river in Tiajuana.

lakers
12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
i personally love texas techs campus

me too. The campus is huge and very pretty. 2nd largest campus in the nation.(largest is Air Force, they get to include their runways)

Daddy D 11
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Agreed

Adidas410s
12-06-2007, 10:33 PM
A&M's academic buildings leave a lot to be desired in terms of being asthetically pleasing. The bland, blank colors do not look very good. I believe it's "north campus" that is the worst part...I think that's the right title.

Find a list that says A&M is one of the prettiest campuses in the country. I looked at a bunch of lists today after reading this list...and didn't see A&M listed on any best or worst list of the 15 or so (some from big publications...others not) that I read.

g$$
12-07-2007, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by lakers
me too. The campus is huge and very pretty. 2nd largest campus in the nation.(largest is Air Force, they get to include their runways)

You sure about that? A&M is said to be the largest acreage wise last I checked. Could be wrong...

A&M has strict building codes on color, brick, size, etc. May be the reason some call it drab.

g$$
12-07-2007, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
A&M's campus is boring. It's like you are looking at the same building.

How about your sprawling "campus" Blue?

Rice
SWT (I refuse to call it Texas State)
TCU
...all very nice IMO.

big daddy russ
12-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You sure about that? A&M is said to be the largest acreage wise last I checked. Could be wrong...

A&M has strict building codes on color, brick, size, etc. May be the reason some call it drab.
Yeah, Tech's huge. My family's a bunch of Techhies. They always brag about it. Kinda cool, but I bet it's hell to walk.

g$$
12-07-2007, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
A&M's academic buildings leave a lot to be desired in terms of being asthetically pleasing. The bland, blank colors do not look very good. I believe it's "north campus" that is the worst part...I think that's the right title.

Find a list that says A&M is one of the prettiest campuses in the country. I looked at a bunch of lists today after reading this list...and didn't see A&M listed on any best or worst list of the 15 or so (some from big publications...others not) that I read.

Newer buildings look better on West Campus. I have seen A&M listed on various lists, but I honestly don't go looking for these trivial things. It's a campus not beauty contest. A&M's Rec Center is one of the nicest in country & the new business building is too (Wehner). Brand new engineering building is supposed to be nice as well.

How about academics, job placement, sports, intramurals, girls, nightlife, etc. ranking higher than "drabness" of buildings!

g$$
12-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Yeah, Tech's huge. My family's a bunch of Techhies. They always brag about it. Kinda cool, but I bet it's hell to walk.

It's a nice campus no doubt. Can't say much about the location, weather, LBK, or no alcohol sales though. Pretty girls for sure!

lakers
12-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Yeah I am sure about that, they braged about it during NSO...

lakers
12-07-2007, 01:51 AM

Ur dang right about the walk. It takes me 20 to 25 minutes to walk to one of my classes. The freshman 15 goes the other way here.

A lot of nice looking girls I have to admit....

yoemenkracker30
12-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Sam Houston State has been making drastic changes in the campus scenery, 1 new building, another is in construction, they just built a new mall area in the center of campus, nice intramural fields.....don't really see how you can call that ugly when you look at the other schools in the southland (especially any of them to the east)

Old Tiger
12-07-2007, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by g$$
How about your sprawling "campus" Blue?

Rice
SWT (I refuse to call it Texas State)
TCU
...all very nice IMO. Why take a shot at me?

TexanFan4Life
12-07-2007, 04:00 AM
University of Kansas has a beautiful campus.
Yale University has a beautiful campus.

Blinn Junior College in Brenham....As ghetto as they come.

3afan
12-07-2007, 08:11 AM
3afan isn't saying that you know nothing about the campus. He's just saying that your opinion is biased because 90% of the time you post about anything UT related, it's negative.

yeah thats what I was getting at but I was really messing around ..... i'm not going to get into the aTm-UT silliness ...

Adidas410s
12-07-2007, 09:43 AM

I believe RMAC calls it the "Lubbock Lean" whenever he has to walk across campus in 30+ mph winds. Last year, he was in the engineering dorm (I think) and it's located on the far south side of campus. Well some of his classes were just south of Jones Stadium so he had a good 15-20 minute walk heading North...not a walk I would want to take from December-March! :(

Daddy D 11
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
im going to buy a ballachava (spelling?) :)

Adidas410s
12-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Newer buildings look better on West Campus. I have seen A&M listed on various lists, but I honestly don't go looking for these trivial things. It's a campus not beauty contest. A&M's Rec Center is one of the nicest in country & the new business building is too (Wehner). Brand new engineering building is supposed to be nice as well.

How about academics, job placement, sports, intramurals, girls, nightlife, etc. ranking higher than "drabness" of buildings!

I agree that many of the newer buildings are quite nice. It seems like a lot of colleges stopped building for about 15 years and then started up again in the last 10 years...and thus the newer buildings look A LOT better than the architectural designs of the 60's-80's.

Girls...A&M...oxymoron

I think just about any objective person would put Tech, Texas, SMU, and TCU (some try to throw in Baylor...blah) above A&M in the girl catagory. Tri Delts are excluded because they're pretty much equal at any school! ;)

JasperDog94
12-07-2007, 11:21 AM
McNeese State University has to be the ugliest campus I've ever seen.

shankbear
12-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Lamar....nuff said.

big daddy russ
12-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Girls...A&M...oxymoron

I think just about any objective person would put Tech, Texas, SMU, and TCU (some try to throw in Baylor...blah) above A&M in the girl catagory. Tri Delts are excluded because they're pretty much equal at any school! ;)
I think I'd actually put Tech and A&M on equal footing. The girls in CS don't get out as much as the ones in Lubbock... more homebodies... but I've seen plenty of hotties in my days there.

This is how I'd rank the girls of Texas colleges:
1. SMU (Stuck up and amazingly hot. It's always fun to knock these girls down a peg.)
2.Texas State (What is it with SWT? Biggest party school in the world {well, it used to be}, great location, and the best-looking girls of any public school.)
3. TCU (Only been on campus three or four times, but the scenery there is every bit as good as any of the other privates, and most of the girls there can hold a conversation. If you throw in the "Even after a six-pack, can I put up with this girl for a few hours" factor, TCU is the top overall school for female talent IMO.)
4. Baylor (Waco's ugly. The girls aren't.)
5. Sam Houston St. (Even the "average" girls would be considered hot by most standards. Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to hold a conversation with most of them for more than 32 seconds without slapping them, gouging your eyes out, or begging for a date with Rosie O'Donnell to ease your suffering. This is why SWT gets the nod over SHSU.)
6. UT (The best-looking girls of the big schools, but only by a hair. Sure, you regularly get the wild, dirty-looking girls who wreak of weed and Kentucky Deluxe, but sometimes you're in the mood for a wild, dirty-looking girl who wreaks of weed and KD. ;) )
7a. A&M (You have to know people in College Station to find the hottie hangouts. There are plenty around, but they don't work and tend to stay at house parties. If you want to meet any "out," the Library, Gatsby's, the Groove, the Tap, and Logan's are your best bets. Unfortunately, some of those girls remind me of the girls in Huntsville. It's bad when you turn around and walk away from a 9 mid-sentence. She still didn't get the point, hounded us the rest of the night.)
7b. Tech (Definitely show off their hotness more than A&M. I've had several trips to LBK to hang out, and everytime we go out it seems like we meet eight girls per person. But the number's only that high because the chicks we're with also pick up a few. When you meet dumb girls here, though, it's different than Sam Houston. They're usually drunk, obnoxious, and trying to drag their boyfriend into a fight. Huge drop-off from here to TAMU-CC.)
9. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Average college at best, but better than the ones listed below.)
10. Rice (I should deduct points for Rice being a private school with less talent than most publics, but in the interest of objectivity on a completely subjective list, I'll give them a pass. Another big drop-off from here down.)
11. Tarleton (Only been there twice, once to cover an A&I game and once to visit my girl's fat HS friend. Maybe it's because I only saw the bookworms walking around campus and the disgustingly obese friends of the HS friend, but the hot-to-not hot ratio was definitely not as good as I've seen elsewhere. Still, there was enough talent for your average small-town boy to think of it as an upgrade from his hometown.)
12. Texas A&I (Coming here to meet a wife is like going to McDonald's to order a steak. You may find one in the pile of fat, but she isn't USDA choice cut.)

These are the the colleges I have the most experience with. Feel free to add or amend.

sahen
12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Baylor (Waco is ugly, the girls aren't)

haha...soooo true....best part of going to baylor is it is about 2/3 women (and almost 3/4 of the guys are in the buisness school, outside of the buisness school its easily 3/4 women mabye even more), i had classes where i was one of 2 or 3 guys in teh classes surrounded by 20 or 30 beautiful women...hard to pay attention to the prof then...

big daddy russ
12-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Baylor (Waco is ugly, the girls aren't)

haha...soooo true....best part of going to baylor is it is about 2/3 women (and almost 3/4 of the guys are in the buisness school, outside of the buisness school its easily 3/4 women mabye even more), i had classes where i was one of 2 or 3 guys in teh classes surrounded by 20 or 30 beautiful women...hard to pay attention to the prof then...
You're a lucky man. The girls at BU are not only hot, but they can also hold a conversation much better than the ones in Huntsville. And if you can't tell by my list, I don't deal with dumb... errr, girls.

IHStangFan
12-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think it's hard for any campus in a major metropolitan area to be "pretty". exactly..so how did UT Austin not make this list? These clowns have also obviously never been to A&M Kingsville! LOL.

g$$
12-08-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree that many of the newer buildings are quite nice. It seems like a lot of colleges stopped building for about 15 years and then started up again in the last 10 years...and thus the newer buildings look A LOT better than the architectural designs of the 60's-80's.

Girls...A&M...oxymoron

Never said A&M had the absolute prettiest girls - but when you have 50K+ students (including Blinn + A&M's 47K), there are some hotties. Some ugly ones too. Law of averages. Actually it has gotten much better in past years along these lines with more girls than guys in recent freshman classes. It also has something to do with academic requirements too. SWT for example.

I was just listing some reasons other than drabness of buildings to consider for a school.

SMU/TCU/Baylor= cute & rich sorority girls

SWT
Tech
Texas
= plenty to chose from for sure

Best: Ole Miss & ARK