PDA

View Full Version : Has Liberty Hill become the villian?

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 10:21 AM
It happens all the time, the underdog team is loved by everyone UNTIL they keep winning

So has LH now with their 24 game streak a title and possible a second, now become the team everyone hates because they keep winning?

District303aPastPlayer
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It happens all the time, the underdog team is loved by everyone UNTIL they keep winning

So has LH now with their 24 game streak a title and possible a second, now become the team everyone hates because they keep winning?

Hello Patriots, its the Panthers movin in right next door to ya, but on the outher side of the SLC house...

Ranger Mom
12-06-2007, 10:22 AM

Not to me!! I'm still a Liberty Hill fan!!

3afan
12-06-2007, 10:23 AM
no - if they become smug & uppity, then they'll be hated

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
no - if they become smug & uppity, then they'll be hated

I dont even know if that matters

I think at a certain point if a team keeps winning their fans will be viewed as that if they come on the board and say they feel their team will win..people will turn things they say around on them

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 10:25 AM
22, TxB. ;)

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
22, TxB. ;)

yea..guess I was projecting

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 10:30 AM
yea..guess I was projecting
Project away....just don't be surprised if some unnamed fans North of Tyler and/or Northwest of Brownwood have some waddage. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Stownhorse
12-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Well a few people's heads are starting to swell and when people brag a lot, you'd like to see them fall. Be humble.

Buckeye80
12-06-2007, 10:36 AM
With LH Panther Mom as a poster how could Libery Hill ever be the villian?? :kiss: :kiss:

Some people just don't understand what's it's like to back a winning program.

Stownhorse
12-06-2007, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
With LH Panther Mom as a poster how could Libery Hill ever be the villian?? :kiss: :kiss:

Some people just don't understand what's it's like to back a winning program.

I know what its like to back a winning program just not an undefeated 22, 23, 24 or w/e straight wins they have.

Buckeye80
12-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
I know what its like to back a winning program just not an undefeated 22, 23, 24 or w/e straight wins they have.

Then I wasn't talking to you!

Sweetwater Red
12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
Then I wasn't talking to you!

You're in an open forum. You're talking to everyone.:rolleyes:

Adidas410s
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

I think at a certain point if a team keeps winning their fans will be viewed as that if they come on the board and say they feel their team will win..people will turn things they say around on them

just ask Celina fans ;)

Maroon87
12-06-2007, 10:45 AM

I agree totally. I've seen it happen with us.

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
just ask Celina fans ;)

Biggest difference SO FAR..is LH fans FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN dont turn any thread into a Well Celina would have dominated theme

3afan
12-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I agree totally. I've seen it happen with us.

who is "us" ???

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 10:51 AM
who is "us" ???

It is them of course

Maroon87
12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
who is "us" ???

Oooops...check the sig. That's why all of us Cal posters have Darth Vader as our avatar on 4A.;)

3afan
12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
i have sigs turned off - they're too much of a beating ...

Stownhorse
12-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
You're in an open forum. You're talking to everyone.:rolleyes:

:clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
12-06-2007, 10:55 AM

Calallen

Maroon87
12-06-2007, 10:56 AM

I forgot you could do that...LOL:doh:

Hill Man
12-06-2007, 11:06 AM

It didn't take long... LH was awarded the Gordon Wood trophy after the 2002 season for the most improved team, over coming adversity, character, support, etc.. They went 10-2 that season making the playoffs for the first time in many years and the tradition of not having a good football program or winning seasons...We were the perennial underdog that finally did good...
– We like it here ….
:cool:

3afan
12-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Calallen

I can see how Cal would be the "hated" team in the Coastal Bend area because of their success ......

LH isnt there yet - if they keep this level up for 4-5-6 more years then maybe

District303aPastPlayer
12-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I can see how Cal would be the "hated" team in the Coastal Bend area because of their success ......

The success and constant rumors of recruiting by Phil D and the boys... Just run of the mill stuff for a successful program

sinton66
12-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Regardless of what ANY other 3A Fan has to say, Liberty Hill has earned their spotlight legitimately. Any team that can go from a "cellar dwellar" or an "aslo ran" to top dog in the fight deserves respect. They did it the hard way, doing what is necessary to win TOUGH games.

pirate4state
12-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Not to me!! I'm still a Liberty Hill fan!!

+1

Runnin Panther
12-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I think the measure of man/woman/town/team is how you handle success and adversity. Humble when successful and motivated and determined when faced with adversity. Liberty Hill has been at both ends of the pendulum and I think they have handled both pretty well (I admit I am biased). The key is continuing to do so.

Mace Griffin
12-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Oooops...check the sig. That's why all of us Cal posters have Darth Vader as our avatar on 4A.;) i guess Lake Travis unvilianized yall a little bit. If unvilianized is a word

firstcat
12-06-2007, 11:56 AM

you are so right...it is already starting to happen. Last week we were called classless because we said we would win.

firstcat
12-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by firstcat
you are so right...it is already starting to happen. Last week we were called classless because we said we would win.

But we were doing some admitted and good natured smack talking then...

The absolute fact of the matter is, we are so proud and stay in awe of the effort our boys put in to every down.

We don't assume we are going to win every game,...what we do assume is that our boys will leave their all on the field, every game...and that makes them winners whether the score says so or not!

I remain thankful and so very very proud...there's alot to be learned from the work ethic and the brotherhood of the Liberty Hill Panther Team...by all of us!

Runnin Panther
12-06-2007, 12:19 PM

The absolute fact of the matter is, we are so proud and stay in awe of the effort our boys put in to every down.

We don't assume we are going to win every game,...what we do assume is that our boys will leave their all on the field, every game...and that makes them winners whether the score says so or not!

I remain thankful and so very very proud...there's alot to be learned from the work ethic and the brotherhood of the Liberty Hill Panther Team...by all of us!

Well said

j_dog
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM

It is all about attitude and perception.

I never saw a thread about Everman arrogance when they were still in 3a and winning state championships one after another. But also neither did I ever see an Everman poster say that another team had "no chance".

I think Everman fans were the embodiment of the phrase, "When you get to the top, act like you have been there before." They were an example we all could follow.

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 12:22 PM

wow that is cocky and arrogant ;) :D

pirate4state
12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
It is all about attitude and perception.

I never saw a thread about Everman arrogance when they were still in 3a and winning state championships one after another. But also neither did I ever see an Everman poster say that another team had "no chance".

I think Everman fans were the embodiment of the phrase, "When you get to the top, act like you have been there before." They were an example we all could follow.

Heck, I think the only Everman poster we've ever had on here is Matthew328. LOL

big daddy russ
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Liberty Hill's not really cocky and arrogant. They're pretty humble about everything, which is a good quality. Especially since they're going to lose to Pleasanton this weekend.

Originally posted by pirate4state
We had a few more back in the day. I remember one was rholl, can't remember any of the others, though.

j_dog
12-06-2007, 12:34 PM
True, but that is the point. Everman fans kept a low profile, but they were out there. They let the play on the field do their talking.

And Matthew328 had the class to once even pick ANOTHER team to win state over Everman. :) It didn't matter later that he was proven wrong. :cool:

pirate4state
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
True, but that is the point. Everman fans kept a low profile, but they were out there. They let the play on the field do their talking.

And Matthew328 had the class to once even pick ANOTHER team to win state over Everman. :) It didn't matter later that he was proven wrong. :cool:

Nah, I just don't think Matt wanted anyone to know about his web site. He wanted all the glory for himself! :D :D :D ;)

j_dog
12-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Nah, I just don't think Matt wanted anyone to know about his web site. He wanted all the glory for himself! :D :D :D ;)
it worked. :D now it is Everman who? but we all know who Matt is. :) :clap:

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 12:43 PM

actually Matt is one of those fans who ALWAYS thinks his team will struggle...he was trying to tell me how WF who Everman beat 50-14 could beat Everman in round 2..needless to say Everman dominated them

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
actually Matt is one of those fans who ALWAYS thinks his team will struggle...he was trying to tell me how WF who Everman beat 50-14 could beat Everman in round 2..needless to say Everman dominated them
For some unknown, random reason, that reminded me of something earlier in the season before we played Rockdale. I said that I hoped that Homecoming festivities didn't cause distractions to our kids. At least twice on that thread, the response was "PUKE". I won't air the dirty laundry in public, but suffice it to say that from my sons' account, halftime was not pretty in the locker room. Final score was 37-25, our closest game. And yes...distractions happen to EVERY team.

So, BobcatBenny - :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: (that's for the puke comments :p )

kepdawg
12-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I do not believe so.

I thought about asking a question after Carroll lost to Abilene to gauge what teams are villains as you choose to call them.

Carroll and Celina in Texas seem to be two obvious high school villains.

The Patriots and Cowboys seem to fall in line.

USC and possibly Notre Dame as well.

eagles_victory
12-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Not trying to make a race issue at all but a lot of times teams that are mostly white kids that are really good are hated. Look at Celina and SLC. Another example is China Spring. CS is hated around the Waco area similiar to Celina and SLC are in their areas. If you look on centex Robinson Connally Mart and most surrounding areas are all going for Lavega this week.

big daddy russ
12-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Not trying to make a race issue at all but a lot of times teams that are mostly white kids that are really good are hated. Look at Celina and SLC. Another example is China Spring. CS is hated around the Waco area similiar to Celina and SLC are in their areas. If you look on centex Robinson Connally Mart and most surrounding areas are all going for Lavega this week.
Sealy was hated, and they had some hellacious black boys on that team. Granted, they weren't a predominantly black team, maybe half and half, but those kids could play some ball.

eagles_victory
12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Sealy was hated, and they had some hellacious black boys on that team. Granted, they weren't a predominantly black team, maybe half and half, but those kids could play some ball. I saw them in 94 vs Atlanta at the Astrodome for the state title. They were definitely a hellacious squad. Even a 6 year old Ev could tell that :D

Balcones fault
12-06-2007, 01:33 PM
Celina fans seem to catch a lot of grief here, and I admit some bias because I used to live there. That being said, I now live 15 miles from Liberty Hill, so its been interesting to compare and contrast. Both are excellent programs, as demonstrated by their records. With continued success and exurban location near Austin, LH will attract parents who want success for their son's football efforts.....and the recruiting rumors will begin. Nevermind the quality of life of a small town vs a suburb or city, the quality of the schools other than sports, etc.

LH and Celina are very similar in many regards, LH is just a more recent entry to success. Its unfortunate there is no rematch this year in the finals. Celina fans also do an exemplary job of supporting their team and the booster club accomplishments, fundraising, etc., are really remarkable. Other schools would do well to learn from them, in my opinion.

BTW.....another comparison....school colors....LH definitely has the advantage. I couldn't get rid of that orange stuff fast enough. .:doh:

A downside to success is having to constantly restock your team gear...state champs, backtoback state champs, state champs 'x'y'z, state champs 'w-'z, etc. Its sort of a good news/badnews deal, but keeps the local vendors in business.

j_dog
12-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Is it not better to be prepared for a struggle, and then be pleasantly surprised than to not prepare and get it handed to you?

OldBison75
12-06-2007, 03:57 PM
As a fan of another team--that Liberty Hill smashed--I will say that there was alot of smack talking on this board last week. However, that is what this type forum encourages. And, I would never want to be considered a fan if it meant I could not support my team 1000% and talk a little trash. I met the Liberty Hill posters at the game - and one from Rockdale that talks alot of smack- but found they were much like me. They support thier team-believe in thier team- and don't mind telling everyone that they believe. That is the definition of a fan in my book.

Congratulations on your success Panthers--hope you win it all again this year. But, LOOK OUT, THE RATTLERS WILL NOT BE DENIED NEXT YEAR!!!!!

firstcat
12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks OB!! You are a class act as well!

alaskacat
12-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Crap I been pissed at them since last year... edited for content...lhpm field goal.......some things never change:)

I didn't have to wait until this years winning streak.:)

alaskacat
12-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Balcones fault

A downside to success is having to constantly restock your team gear...state champs, backtoback state champs, state champs 'x'y'z, state champs 'w-'z, etc. Its sort of a good news/badnews deal, but keeps the local vendors in business.

They really need to give serious thought about replacing that pathetic panther costume with something better, in purple of course, that makes a fashion statement...more Like Bobcat Benny, now thats class:)

eagles_victory
12-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
Crap I been pissed at them since last year...edited for content...lhpm field goal.......some things never change:)

I didn't have to wait until this years winning streak.:) might want to edit that post buddy or you will suffer the fate that Navasota did last week

alaskacat
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
might want to edit that post buddy or you will suffer the fate that Navasota did last week

That would never happen, but boy...would relish the opportunity to kick their butt:)

boudreaux
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Most of the time good natured talk is ok. But people really make themselves out to be the villain. They talk so much smack and really have no bearing on the team success. These are the posters that vilianize their own team and then get upset when someone says something back to them. These are just kids playing for their school, communities, families and themselves.

It is a shame that parents, fans, and the unobservant spoil it for everyone. Chest beating seems to be more and more evident today. Parents who are trying to live through their kids, people who have no part of the school, the so called T-Shirt fans, the relatives, the grads who didn’t do anything, and the kids still in school who just want to mouth off. All of these and others fuel the fire of the villain.

Many times teams can use this us against the world mentality to play better. It keeps teammates close playing against the people who supposedly hate you. This will last only so long. It wears on kids and coaches. It is much too long a season for the constant emotional roller coaster of negative emotion to carry a team all the way through. But people on the outside don’t understand that. And in high school it’s not us against the world. The state playoffs are too big. The world is a week to week deal.

Sure perception by people can constitute this image. And that’s what fuels the people who villianize themselves. Abet on purpose or unintentional. Then they blame it on others. When in fact its all just talk. And talk is cheap. As evidenced by the post on this thread. Those who have not played understand that. And many who did play don’t. Success is often envied. New found success is often misused by those who have no experience with success. One thing to remember. Don’t motivate you opponent. They have all the motivation they need. To win.

BILLYFRED0000
12-06-2007, 06:23 PM
I told LH that if you keep winning they will put that target on you. Celina has had it for several years. It can take an innocuous statement and turn it into a firestorm. But the LH people are not the villains. Only peoples perceptions are.

g$$
12-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Nice people. It comes with the territory when you win a lot, & they have recently. Sweeny has played LH in many sports over the years (playoffs) & I enjoyed meeting some from the community. No hate here, just respect for what they have accomplished. If they stay humble & respectful, I hope they do well.

BILLYFRED0000
12-06-2007, 06:56 PM
BTW, I hope you guys keep winning. Good luck and win state for us Bobcats and we will sure give it a try ourselves.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
The GOOD thing about LH's winning streak is ...we dont have to read about how the ref's were biased.:)

Daddy D 11
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
haha thanks wimbopro, we all know yalls refs were in Nelms pocket ;)

wimbo_pro
12-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Exactly!!! lololol

trojan37
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM

Boy you hit the nail on the head there. Everyone here can't stand China, and trust me when I say everyone wants to see LV beat the monkeypi@s out of em'! Go LV!

buff4life
12-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by boudreaux

It is a shame that parents, fans, and the unobservant spoil it for everyone. Chest beating seems to be more and more evident today. Parents who are trying to live through their kids, people who have no part of the school, the so called T-Shirt fans, the relatives, the grads who didn’t do anything, and the kids still in school who just want to mouth off. All of these and others fuel the fire of the villain.

there aren't many other kinds of people there lol...

Daddy D 11
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
we arent the villian, juggernaut would be a more fitting word :D

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
we arent the villian, juggernaut would be a more fitting word :D

LOL maybe the fans are the problem :D

Daddy D 11
12-07-2007, 09:43 AM
so maybes there is a correlation here..allow me to explain:

LH fans=problem for other fans
LH players=problem for other teams

seems fitting :p

MN95
12-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Biggest difference SO FAR..is LH fans FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN dont turn any thread into a Well Celina would have dominated theme

Let's do some math. Anyone who has ever been to a Celina game will see several thousand fans. In reading this board for the last several weeks I would estimate there are, at most, maybe 10 Celina fans who post comments. 90% of the posts are from 2-3 people. It puzzles me to continue to see opinions formed on "Celina Fans" based on the message board posts of a few.

DaHop72
12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Let's do some math. Anyone who has ever been to a Celina game will see several thousand fans. In reading this board for the last several weeks I would estimate there are, at most, maybe 10 Celina fans who post comments. 90% of the posts are from 2-3 people. It puzzles me to continue to see opinions formed on "Celina Fans" based on the message board posts of a few. Well don't get yourself all booty hurt, put yourself in my shoes.:D :D

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Let's do some math. Anyone who has ever been to a Celina game will see several thousand fans. In reading this board for the last several weeks I would estimate there are, at most, maybe 10 Celina fans who post comments. 90% of the posts are from 2-3 people. It puzzles me to continue to see opinions formed on "Celina Fans" based on the message board posts of a few.

And I am talking about the fans ON THIS BOARD seeing as how the original point was about perception of teams ON THIS BOARD

and welcome to your new addiction

JJ7997
12-07-2007, 03:54 PM

Most people in the Waco Area are going for La Vega because La Vega is in Waco. I cant stand CS, I am from Gatesville and will root for all of the Waco teams long before I would CS, if ever. CS is not well liked not because they're white kids and good, but because they have let the last few years of success go to alot of their heads.

UPanIN
12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Liberty Hill is no villian.

They are just good period..... Hard to take when your kids are getting the pounding.

Good luck LH and to whomever your playing.

navscanmaster
12-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by UPanIN
Liberty Hill is no villian.

They are just good period..... Hard to take when your kids are getting the pounding.

Good luck LH and to whomever your playing.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

wimbo_pro
12-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh stop the whining. LH isnt getting anything more than any other team gets when they are on a roll. Sheesh....

SpeedOption
12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
I am from Gatesville and will root for all of the Waco teams long before I would CS, if ever. CS is not well liked not because they're white kids and good, but because they have let the last few years of success go to alot of their heads.

Gatesville has been a thorn in China's side. Gatesville has kept the Spring out of the playoffs on different occations.

LH Panther Mom
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Oh stop the whining. LH isnt getting anything more than any other team gets when they are on a roll. Sheesh....
Who's whining? :doh: :doh:

gobbler grad
12-07-2007, 10:24 PM
oh, I know...get over it...:bigcry: :bigcry:

but when they are talking about you all, they ain't talking about us...:D :D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
12-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
oh, I know...get over it...:bigcry: :bigcry:

but when they are talking about you all, they ain't talking about us...:D :D :D :D
Maybe wimpy's jealous they're not talking about them. :devil: :devil: ;)