PDA

View Full Version : Texas A&M's Babalola, Joiner arrested

kepdawg
12-06-2007, 12:28 AM
Texas A&M's Babalola, Joiner arrested

11:23 PM CST on Wednesday, December 5, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

Two Texas A&M football players were arrested Wednesday in connection with an alleged armed robbery that occurred at an off-campus apartment complex on Nov. 29.

Yemi Babalola, a starting offensive lineman from Bryan, Texas, was charged with aggravated robbery and possession of less than two ounces of marijuana. Aggravated robbery is a first-degree felony and is punishable from five to 99 years in prison and a maximum $10,000 fine.

Brandon Joiner, a defensive end from Killeen, Texas, was charged with possession of less than two ounces of marijuana. Joiner also was charged with possession of 1 to 4 ounces of the drug known as “Ecstasy” and possession of less than 28 grams of hydrocodone.

According to a College Station police report, officers responded to an armed robbery call at the Callaway Villas Apartments on Nov. 29. A resident said two black men entered the apartment and struck the person who opened the door.

A second resident ran upstairs and escaped through a window. The first resident and a friend were bound with tape while one of the assailants pointed a semi-automatic handgun in their faces.

Several small items were taken, and the two intruders fled on foot. Only one resident reported minor bruises to his face, the report said.

College Station police executed a search warrant of Babalola’s residence on Wednesday and discovered the drugs. A second warrant was executed and drugs were found at Joiner’s residence.

Sgt. Brandy Norris said more charges could be filed, and the case will be turned over the Brazos County district attorney on Thursday.

A&M spokesman Alan Cannon said the athletic department was aware of the situation and was still collecting information.

It’s unclear if new coach Mike Sherman or current interim head coach Gary Darnell, who is coaching A&M in the upcoming bowl game, will decide on any punishments.

Babalola, a 6-4, 315-pound junior, started six games this season, including the last two. Joiner, a 6-2, 231-pound freshman, redshirted this season.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/120607dnspoamnews.702b735c.html)

alaskacat
12-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Another case of kids with so much going for them throwing their life down the tube.

JR2004
12-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Babalola

That last name cracks me up everytime I hear it.

g$$
12-06-2007, 02:26 AM
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/12190831.html

I hope they get what they deserve. Like I have said before during all the Book 'em Horns stuff, roast these guys all the same. Stupid behavior, heck criminal behavior, & I hope they are long gone soon. I'm all for due process, but sounds like these guys are toast.

I know this: Sherman will not put up with this stuff one bit. He's as straight a shooter as you will ever meet. Looks like 2 scholarships just freed up...Babalola had 1 year left & Joiner redshirted his freshman year. See ya boys.

Bull19
12-06-2007, 03:27 AM
i guess bellville's travis schnieder has the offensive tackle spot pretty much locked down on the depth chart now

Bulldog_12
12-06-2007, 04:14 AM
This is the thing that pisses me off the most. When God has blessed a kid with more talent than they could ever ask for and has placed them in a situation that will help their lives immensely and then just waste it. They just don't appreciate the things that have been given them. I hope they get punished to the fullest extent.

g$$
12-06-2007, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Bull19
i guess bellville's travis schnieder has the offensive tackle spot pretty much locked down on the depth chart now

Yeah, he & Yemi were splitting reps anyway, so now it's all his.

Old Tiger
12-06-2007, 04:57 AM
OMG! Aggies and mary jane!

navscanmaster
12-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
OMG! Aggies and mary jane!

Oh My Gosh, or Oh, More Gonja? I know that is sarcastic, but smoking weed is thought to be a God given right around these parts.:mad: Nevermind, don't want to open that can of worms on this board.:p

3afan
12-06-2007, 07:56 AM
why would someone even WANT to smoke pot? or smoke period?

mind boggling ....

zebrablue2
12-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
This is the thing that pisses me off the most. When God has blessed a kid with more talent than they could ever ask for and has placed them in a situation that will help their lives immensely and then just waste it. They just don't appreciate the things that have been given them. I hope they get punished to the fullest extent.

good quote--and agreed...

Reds fan
12-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Certainly hope A&M shuts the door on these two as soon as possible, there can be no tolerance of this sort. As already said, how can these players be so stupid as to waste and the opportunity their talent has given them?

buff4ever
12-06-2007, 09:13 AM
off with their head

Buccaneer
12-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
why would someone even WANT to smoke pot? or smoke period?

mind boggling ....

Smoking pot cures mind boggling!

SWMustang
12-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
That last name cracks me up everytime I hear it.

Mr. Babalola - Mr Bob Babalola

I think of that obscure song....

Macarthur
12-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Arent' Yemi's parents like school teachers or professors? Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else. If so, they have to be hugely disappointed.

Phil C
12-06-2007, 11:36 AM
:(

pirate4state
12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

AMEN!!

Maroon87
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Hey at least BBDE wasn't involved...:thinking: ;)

SWMustang
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Hey at least BBDE wasn't involved...:thinking: ;)

or was he? :D

g$$
12-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Arent' Yemi's parents like school teachers or professors? Maybe I'm mixing him up with someone else. If so, they have to be hugely disappointed.

You are correct. Dad is a preacher I believe & Mom is in education. I do not know the kid but have heard it was only a matter of time. Punish to fullest extent & kick them off team if proved true. Just stupid & criminal behavior.

Phil C
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!

:mad:

alaskacat
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Oh My Gosh, or Oh, More Gonja? I know that is sarcastic, but smoking weed is thought to be a God given right around these parts.:mad: Nevermind, don't want to open that can of worms on this board.:p

Hey why you think I like Alaska...its all but legal:) Built right into the state constitution

Phil C
12-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by alaskacat
Hey why you think I like Alaska...its all but legal:) Built right into the state constitution

Did you know that the great John Wayne movie North to Alaska took place around and in Nome, Alaska?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-06-2007, 05:35 PM
It's really disappointing. I was really suprised to hear about this stuff, especially about Brandon. It's stupid and I am led to believe that these guys must not have any common sense, they did it in broad daylight and in the same apartment complex that they live in. They are currently suspended indefinitely from what I have been told.

westtxfballfan
12-06-2007, 06:00 PM
The MJ made 'em do it.

http://www.hoboes.com/pub/Prohibition/Drug%20Information/Marijuana/History/reefer_madness.jpg

RedStorm
12-06-2007, 06:11 PM
This just shows the Aggies they arn't above ingnorant behavior.

g$$
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by RedStorm
This just shows the Aggies they arn't above ingnorant behavior.

Every school in the country has problems. Even Joe Pa at Penn State has had their share of problems lately. Texas & others too. Why would you say something so baseless?

JasperDog94
12-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by RedStorm
This just shows the Aggies they arn't above ingnorant behavior. No team is.

g$$
12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
No team is.

Exactly. It's how you handle it & not make it a common occurence that matters (like Thug U in their heyday).

txgirl
12-06-2007, 07:16 PM
It's a sad day for the Aggies football program and for the two young men involved.

Old Tiger
12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
It's just weed man. They'll get probation and CS.

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
It's just weed man. They'll get probation and CS.
It's just weed....and ecstacy.....and hydrocodone and illegal man. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

CueroDad2006
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
For all those aggies that were on here talking all the smack when this kind of stuff was going on in Austin, just shows it can happen anywere.

g$$
12-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by CueroDad2006
For all those aggies that were on here talking all the smack when this kind of stuff was going on in Austin, just shows it can happen anywere.

But Texas has had like 9 or 10 arrests over the past year!

And as I stated on page 1 of this thread, roast these guys all the same. It happens everywhere in the country. How you handle it to not make it a regular occurrence is what matters.

g$$
12-07-2007, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's just weed....and ecstacy.....and hydrocodone and illegal man. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And a gun...and aggravated robbery...and assault...and illegal man!

My goodness Blue, any morals & ethics? :confused: