PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre

coach
12-05-2007, 11:08 AM
is he overrated or is he really as good as people say he is?

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
overrated. but don't tell his followers that or they'll flip out.

big daddy russ
12-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Ya'll are too young to remember this, but he won his first MVP "miraculously." All the pundits at the time said there was no way it would happen again, that it was just a fluke, and that Jim Kelly, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Dan Marino, or someone of that caliber would win it the following year. I know this because I actually watched SportsCenter back then.

Also said that the Packers were just a fluke, that they shouldn't have gone that far in the '95 playoffs, and that Favre was only the third-best QB in the NFC.

He went on to win three consecutive MVP's and a SuperBowl. Not because of the talent around him, but because of him. That Packers team was nowhere close to as good as the 49ers, Cowboys, or even the Bills and Broncos, without Favre. But he still took them to the title game. Twice.

Also, don't forget that Green Bay benched All-Pro QB Don Majkowski in favor of Favre. Granted, Majkowski had lost some of his zip due to injury, but he was still a decent QB.

The interceptions go hand-in-hand with QB's like Favre, Dan Marino, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. They're arm guys, gunslingers, the last of a dying breed. You young'uns can't remember those QB's because they're hardly around anymore. QB's are molded differently these days, from being the center of the offense to being a relay point between the offensive coordinator and the rest of the team. These guys aren't scared to throw it into triple coverage even when all the coaches say you shouldn't do it or change the play in the huddle (to my knowledge, Peyton Manning's the only QB in the league today allowed to do this on a regular basis) because they think they can get the ball somewhere that the defense doesn't.

He's every bit as good as they say he was. The best QB of the 90's (and it pains me to say that because Marino is my favorite player) and the only player to ever win three straight MVP's. And guess what? He's doing it again this year.

eagles_victory
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
In his prime he was one of the greatest to ever play. But right now I think the way that he is playing is being overrated. I think he is going to come back to Earth in these last few games.

rangerjim
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
How can a quarterback guide his team to a 10-2 record and be over rated? Look at what Grossman did for the Bears last year - 14-2 and goes to the superbowl - was Grossman over rated?????? (sorry couldn't resist)

Providing Farve's elbow isn't too bad, he will be average the rest of the year. Career wise don't see him as over rated - how many consecutive starts does he have, over 240 I think, superbowl ring, 3 MVP's - Farve will be in the Hall of Fame.

BMOC
12-05-2007, 01:52 PM
He is a winner, and a leader of that team.

firstcat
12-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ya'll are too young to remember this, but he won his first MVP "miraculously." All the pundits at the time said there was no way it would happen again, that it was just a fluke, and that Jim Kelly, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Dan Marino, or someone of that caliber would win it the following year. I know this because I actually watched SportsCenter back then.

Also said that the Packers were just a fluke, that they shouldn't have gone that far in the '95 playoffs, and that Favre was only the third-best QB in the NFC.

He went on to win three consecutive MVP's and a SuperBowl. Not because of the talent around him, but because of him. That Packers team was nowhere close to as good as the 49ers, Cowboys, or even the Bills and Broncos, without Favre. But he still took them to the title game. Twice.

Also, don't forget that Green Bay benched All-Pro QB Don Majkowski in favor of Favre. Granted, Majkowski had lost some of his zip due to injury, but he was still a decent QB.

The interceptions go hand-in-hand with QB's like Favre, Dan Marino, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. They're arm guys, gunslingers, the last of a dying breed. You young'uns can't remember those QB's because they're hardly around anymore. QB's are molded differently these days, from being the center of the offense to being a relay point between the offensive coordinator and the rest of the team. These guys aren't scared to throw it into triple coverage even when all the coaches say you shouldn't do it or change the play in the huddle (to my knowledge, Peyton Manning's the only QB in the league today allowed to do this on a regular basis) because they think they can get the ball somewhere that the defense doesn't.

He's every bit as good as they say he was. The best QB of the 90's (and it pains me to say that because Marino is my favorite player) and the only player to ever win three straight MVP's. And guess what? He's doing it again this year.

BDR...you rock! GO PACKERS!!! Brett Favre will go down as one of the best the NFL has ever had. If he ever goes down....must be something special if his latest year is as good or better than his first!!!!

Stownhorse
12-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
overrated. but don't tell his followers that or they'll flip out.

He is a hard-nosed QB, he takes shots and gets right back on the field. For his age, he is not overrated.

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
He is a hard-nosed QB, he takes shots and gets right back on the field. For his age, he is not overrated. Career wise homie. He's hurt his team a whole hell of a lot more than he has helped it.

LH Panther Mom
12-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
He is a hard-nosed QB, he takes shots and gets right back on the field. For his age, he is not overrated.
Don't listen to Go Blue. He thinks every QB is overrated, except VY. ;)

Stownhorse
12-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Career wise homie. He's hurt his team a whole hell of a lot more than he has helped it.

I beg to differ....

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

Great post & agreed.

Buddy of mine works as a petroleum engineer & has some rigs in Mississippi. He has met some childhood & college friends of Brett's who say he has never changed. Still the same country boy from Kiln, MS & always will be. Also tell some good stories from Brett's partying days! Wife is easy on the eyes too.

Legend & a man's man. Love to watch him play ball & just a good guy. Fearless gunslinger. Don't tell Go Blue or other youngsters who watch him now - they will probably tell you Simms or Applewhite or Joe Blow or VY is better! Give me a break.

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Great post & agreed.

Legend & a man's man. Love to watch him play ball & just a good guy. Fearless gunslinger. Don't tell Go Blue or other youngsters who watch him now - they will probably tell you Simms or Applewhite or Joe Blow is better! Give me a break. Peyton and Tom are in another league compared to brett.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Peyton and Tom are in another league compared to brett.

Brett Favre in his prime (mid to late 1990s) can compare to anyone. Anyone, look it up. Team #s, SB win, MVPs, & his stats too.

You are too young to know better.

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Brett Favre in his prime (mid to late 1990s) can compare to anyone. Anyone, look it up. Team #s, SB win, MVPs, & his stats too.

You are too young to know better. He can't compare to Montana or Marino. Those two are also heads and heels above Favre. Right now in their career Peyton and Tom are above him too. Steve young is above him. He's a top 10 QB sure but he gets to much credit for how good his team is.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:16 PM
Career wise homie. He's hurt his team a whole hell of a lot more than he has helped it.

My gosh, that statement may just be the least informed thing you have ever posted. Go swing from VY's jock somewhere else. Stupid comment Blue.

Brett Favre is an all-time great, period.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:19 PM
He can't compare to Montana or Marino. Those two are also heads and heels above Favre. Right now in their career Peyton and Tom are above him too. Steve young is above him. He's a top 10 QB sure but he gets to much credit for how good his team is.

I said he compares to anyone - I did not rank them. He is breaking Marino's TD records as we speak, & Brett won a SB too (Marino did not). Another classic from you. Get a grip.

mistanice
12-05-2007, 05:20 PM
my roommate is the biggest Brett Favre fan; his uncle was a coach for GB when they won the Super Bowl. Has visited Favres home as well.

Here some pics when Favre came to Waco a few mo's back, roommate got to go.

http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v81/130/94/505408363/n505408363_74045_4161.jpg

http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v81/130/94/505408363/n505408363_74046_4405.jpg

http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v81/130/94/505408363/n505408363_74056_6861.jpg

kepdawg
12-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Come on GB you're too young so your opinion doesn't matter! :rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by g$$
My gosh, that statement may just be the least informed thing you have ever posted. Go swing from VY's jock somewhere else. Stupid comment Blue.

Brett Favre is an all-time great, period.

While I disagree with Blue, dont see the need to be so venomous with your comment, it is all opinion anyway

g$$
Originally posted by mistanice
my roommate is the biggest Brett Favre fan; his uncle was a coach for GB when they won the Super Bowl. Has visited Favres home as well.

Here some pics when Favre came to Waco a few mo's back, roommate got to go.

http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v81/130/94/505408363/n505408363_74045_4161.jpg

http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v81/130/94/505408363/n505408363_74046_4405.jpg

http://photos-363.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v81/130/94/505408363/n505408363_74056_6861.jpg

Pretty cool stuff. What was he doing in Waco? Could not make out the inscription on shirts...

Old Tiger
Originally posted by g$$

Brett Favre is an all-time great, period. That southern slinger into the other teams arms. A lot of times in critical moments he threw interceptions and hurt his team. As you would say "it's bound to happen when you play that long."

Brett is a likeable guy but he is not the best QB to play the game and people portray him as the best ever, he is not. No where close to the best ever. Also because he is so likeable that gets in the way of peoples real opinions.

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Fran Tarkenton
4. Johnny Unitas
5. John Elway
6. Bart Starr
7. Roger Staubach
8. Steve Young
9. Peyton Manning
10. Brett Favre
*11. Tom Brady

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While I disagree with Blue, dont see the need to be so venomous with your comment, it is all opinion anyway

So saying "stupid comment" is venomous? I did not call him stupid, just the comment. And it was besides being inaccurate & off-base. Favre's #s & accomplishments speak for themselves.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:26 PM
That southern slinger into the other teams arms. A lot of times in critical moments he threw interceptions and hurt his team. As you would say "it's bound to happen when you play that long."

Brett is a likeable guy but he is not the best QB to play the game and people portray him as the best ever, he is not. No where close to the best ever. Also because he is so likeable that gets in the way of peoples real opinions.

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Fran Tarkenton
4. Johnny Unitas
5. John Elway
6. Bart Starr
7. Roger Staubach
8. Steve Young
9. Peyton Manning
10. Brett Favre
*11. Tom Brady

Where's your hero VY? ;)

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
So saying "stupid comment" is venomous? I did not call him stupid, just the comment. And it was besides being inaccurate & off-base. Favre's #s & accomplishments speak for themselves.

how is it off base? It is his opinion..You might disagree, but that just means you both have different views on who is a top QB of all time..Does not make yours right, his right or either wrong

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Where's your hero VY? ;) Why are you taking a shot at me because I like Vince Young? I provided an opinion and you have to take a shot at me. I guess because all the QB's I listed above Favre is accurate?

mistanice
12-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Pretty cool stuff. What was he doing in Waco? Could not make out the inscription on shirts...

Here's a link for info. My roommates uncle (Kent Johnston - Mexia native) had Favre come down for the opening of a youth center in Waco.

About Kent Johnston
Kent Johnston has been coaching since 1978 at high school, collegiate and professional levels. He was named Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year in 1997 and was inducted into the National Strength and Conditioning Hall of Fame in 2005. Most recently, Johnston was coordinator of the University of Alabama’s strength and conditioning program. He has worked with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks.

http://www.kwtx.com/sports/headlines/8293847.html

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:32 PM
how is it off base? It is his opinion..You might disagree, but that just means you both have different views on who is a top QB of all time..Does not make yours right, his right or either wrong

Because the #s, awards, SB win, etc. say so, not me. It's black & white. I never said Brett was #1, but I said he compares with anyone all-time.

Where's Bradshaw? Yes, played on great teams (9 HOF) with Steelers, but he settled into being a great qb & threw a tremendous deep ball. Early in career he was not, but at the end he sure was. Winner with 4 rings.

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Where's Bradshaw? Yes, played on great teams (9 HOF) with Steelers, but he settled into being a great qb & threw a tremendous deep ball. Early in career he was not, but at the end he sure was. Winner with 4 rings. Aside from the superbowl wins and all that Terry sucked. Averaged an interception every 12 passes.

Joe Montana who is number one on my list averaged 1 interception every 38 passes. that is highest among that list.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Because the #s, awards, SB win, etc. say so, not me. It's black & white. I never said Brett was #1, but I said he compares with anyone all-time.

Where's Bradshaw? Yes, played on great teams (9 HOF) with Steelers, but he settled into being a great qb & threw a tremendous deep ball. Early in career he was not, but at the end he sure was. Winner with 4 rings.

Again it is all opinion..I know some who would rate him #1..others would rate him top 20 and some would probably not have him in top 25

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Why are you taking a shot at me because I like Vince Young? I provided an opinion and you have to take a shot at me. I guess because all the QB's I listed above Favre is accurate?

Not why. Your list is pretty good but subjective on some. You swing from VY's jock, that's why. He will never be on this list.

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Not why. Your list is pretty good but subjective on some. You swing from VY's jock, that's why. He will never be on this list. Okay but what does that have to do with my post? Nothing you are just taking a shot. Go blab about your modern era 1975 bullcrap and quit taking shots at me cause I provide an opinion that does not agree with yours.

zebrablue2
12-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
He is a winner, and a leader of that team.

agreed.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Aside from the superbowl wins and all that Terry sucked. Averaged an interception every 12 passes.

Joe Montana who is number one on my list averaged 1 interception every 38 passes. that is highest among that list.

Wrong on Bradshaw - look it up. Not 1/12 as I corrected you before. Simple division. You are certainly way too young to remember him too & only go by google. 4 rings on great team.

Different offenses too - Terry played in an era of deep ball & vertical passing game. Montana played in Walsh's West Coast, 3 step drop, highly efficient offense. And I like Montana, just explaining difference. INTs happen, ask VY (almost 3x the # of TDs).

You can't just compare #s & say someone "sucked" to quote you. That says uninformed to me really quick.

kepdawg
12-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Come on GB you're too young so your opinion doesn't matter! :rolleyes:

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Okay but what does that have to do with my post? Nothing you are just taking a shot. Go blab about your modern era 1975 bullcrap and quit taking shots at me cause I provide an opinion that does not agree with yours.

I see you are still smarting since last 2 Aggie wins over your Horns with our lame duck coach...

And around 1975 was a landmark time if you care to do the research. I listed why & how, but maybe that eluded you.

Scholarship limits (1975)
Title IX (1972)
Integration (late 1960s into 1970s)
Women allowed into universities
State funding
etc.

Thanks.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wrong on Bradshaw - look it up. Not 1/12 as I corrected you before. Simple division. You are certainly way too young to remember him too & only go by google. 4 rings on great team.

Different offenses too - Terry played in an era of deep ball & vertical passing game. Montana played in Walsh's West Coast, 3 step drop, highly efficient offense. And I like Montana, just explaining difference. INTs happen, ask VY (almost 3x the # of TDs).

You can't just compare #s & say someone "sucked" to quote you. That says uninformed to me really quick.

Bradshaw= perfect QB for Steelers of that era, but IMO not a great QB as far as history

212 TD 210 Ints a career 70 QB rating..again perfect for that team, but I just would not call him one of the great QBs of all time

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:47 PM

It matters, just be accurate that's all.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Bradshaw= perfect QB for Steelers of that era, but IMO not a great QB as far as history

212 TD 210 Ints a career 70 QB rating..again perfect for that team, but I just would not call him one of the great QBs of all time

I agree, but look at his #s during the glory years of mid to late 1970s. He was awful early & got benched by Noll. But when it counted, Terry was $$. And he called his own plays too after he & Noll worked it out.

He is in the Pro Football HOF...

He killed my Oilers with Earl Campbell & beat Dallas too. Granted, great team he was on too. I would put him in top 15.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Blue - let's see your correction on Bradshaw...

Not 1/12 as you stated. More like 1/20something. I corrected you before on that other thread a while back.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I agree, but look at his #s during the glory years of mid to late 1970s. He was awful early & got benched by Noll. But when it counted, Terry was $$. And he called his own plays too after he & Noll worked it out.

He killed my Oilers with Earl Campbell & beat Dallas too. Granted, great team he was on too. I would put him in top 15.

His numbers from 75-80
75 18 TD 9 INT
76 10 TD 9 INT
77 17 TD 19 INT
78 28 TD 20 INT
79 26 TD 25 INT
80 24 TD 22 INT

In that span only above 55% completion ONE time

eagles_victory
12-05-2007, 05:54 PM
That southern slinger into the other teams arms. A lot of times in critical moments he threw interceptions and hurt his team. As you would say "it's bound to happen when you play that long."

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Fran Tarkenton
4. Johnny Unitas
5. John Elway
6. Bart Starr
7. Roger Staubach
8. Steve Young
9. Peyton Manning
10. Brett Favre
*11. Tom Brady I think Peyton Manning and Favre deserve to be a little bit higher. I think Joe is the best all time but Otto Graham should also be somewhere on the list.

My list would be

1. Joe Montana
2. Dan Marino
3. Otto Graham
4. Johnny Unitas
5. Peyton Manning
6. Fran Tarkington
7. Brett Farve
8. Tom Brady
9. Bart Starr
10. John Elway

I think Brady and Farve will get higher as there careers continue.

kepdawg
12-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It matters, just be accurate that's all.

If you disagree with him or if he is wrong about something that's fine. You should be able to support your argument without using someone's age to discount theirs.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:58 PM
His numbers from 75-80
75 18 TD 9 INT
76 10 TD 9 INT
77 17 TD 19 INT
78 28 TD 20 INT
79 26 TD 25 INT
80 24 TD 22 INT

In that span only above 55% completion ONE time

No doubt he threw a bunch of picks. He also played a gunslinger style too much like Favre. That is why he & Noll argued so much.

But he made plays & played with great teammates too. I hated playing Bradshaw when it mattered in crunch time. 4 rings & HOF...has to count for something.

g$$
12-05-2007, 05:59 PM
If you disagree with him or if he is wrong about something that's fine. You should be able to support your argument without using someone's age to discount theirs.

Just be ACCURATE regardless of age. That's the point. He discounts anyone that played before his time.

kepdawg
12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Just be ACCURATE regardless of age. That's the point. He discounts anyone that played before his time.

Yeah, I guess Tarkenton, Unitas, Starr, and Staubach were all in his time! :thinking:

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah, I guess Tarkenton, Unitas, Starr, and Staubach were all in his time! :thinking:

Other threads, other examples. Not those guys.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
. I hated playing Bradshaw when it mattered in crunch time. 4 rings & HOF...has to count for something.

Perception says that..mumbers dont

Postseason
30 TD 26 INT..Heck he is named 1980 SB MVP throwing 2 Td and 3 INT

He basically threw at least two int in 8 of the 19 postseason games he played in and two or more TD 10 times in 19 games

Had 3 int games 4 times and one or less TD 9 times

he had ONE AMAZING SB..the 4 TD game in 78 agianst Dallas..one good one with 2 TD agianst Dallas in 75( thought was still less than 50% completition)

kepdawg
12-05-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Other threads, other examples. Not those guys.

Originally posted by g$$

Make up your mind! :rolleyes:

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:23 PM
Make up your mind! :rolleyes:

What do you mean? I keep it accurate always with proof, #s, stats, etc. If it is my opinion, I say so.

I never said Bradshaw was this or that, but I do consider him to be in upper echelon. I watched the guy win big games. Yes, he threw a bunch of picks. He also won a bunch of games & SBs too (4). He also had great teammates. It all goes together.

Blonde Bomber
You don't luck into HOF.

Where's the correction Blue?

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Blonde Bomber
You don't luck into HOF.

Did he luck in..no..But does he deserve it? I dont know..Yes in the NFL is held to the standard that u win your great..He won 4 SB..But alot of players in the HOF for the Steelers from the 70s team are not in because of their play, but because of the team success IMO

kepdawg
12-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
What do you mean? I keep it accurate always with proof, #s, stats, etc. If it is my opinion, I say so.

I never said Bradshaw was this or that, but I do consider him to be in upper echelon. I watched the guy win big games. Yes, he threw a bunch of picks. He also won a bunch of games & SBs too (4). He also had great teammates. It all goes together.

Blonde Bomber
You don't luck into HOF.

Where's the correction Blue?

You said GB always discounts anyone that plays before his time.

I listed quarterbacks that were before his time that he had in his top 10.

You respond with other threads, other examples. Not those guys.

His top 10 has several that were before his time and the majority of his list had their prime before his time.

So does he discount anyone before his time or not?

Make up your mind!

That is what I mean!

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Did he luck in..no..But does he deserve it? I dont know..Yes in the NFL is held to the standard that u win your great..He won 4 SB..But alot of players in the HOF for the Steelers from the 70s team are not in because of their play, but because of the team success IMO

Who from those Steelers' teams does not deserve it? I disagree there big-time. They were great players in any era.

Joe Greene
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Franco Harris
Mike Webster
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Lynn Swann
John Stallworth

& others close like Shell, Greenwood, etc.

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:37 PM
You said GB always discounts anyone that plays before his time.

I listed quarterbacks that were before his time that he had in his top 10.

You respond with other threads, other examples. Not those guys.

His top 10 has several that were before his time and the majority of his list had their prime before his time.

So does he discount anyone before his time or not?

Make up your mind!

That is what I mean!

Not a hard list to make or look up. I was referring to other threads & examples too. He rarely gives credit to other generations of players.

Why are you so bent on defending him?

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Correction Blue? Still waiting...

Txbroadcaster
Originally posted by g$$
Who from those Steelers' teams does not deserve it? I disagree there big-time. They were great players in any era.

Joe Greene
Mel Blount
Terry Bradshaw
Franco Harris
Mike Webster
Jack Ham
Jack Lambert
Lynn Swann
John Stallworth

& others close like Shell, Greenwood, etc.

Lynn Swann for one

Career numbers are not great, and he was not consitently in the top 10 of stats DURING HIS ERA

only TWO play-off games of 100 yards or more recieving. while having 3 games of one catch or less in play-offs

kepdawg
Originally posted by g$$

Why are you so bent on defending him?

Why are you so bent on attacking him?

Stownhorse
12-05-2007, 06:47 PM
He can't compare to Montana or Marino. Those two are also heads and heels above Favre. Right now in their career Peyton and Tom are above him too. Steve young is above him. He's a top 10 QB sure but he gets to much credit for how good his team is.

How much older than Manning and Brady is he?

They are good because he actually has more than one decent WR to throw to.

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Lynn Swann for one

Career numbers are not great, and he was not consitently in the top 10 of stats DURING HIS ERA

only TWO play-off games of 100 yards or more recieving. while having 3 games of one catch or less in play-offs

Great player, very acrobatic & graceful receiver. Vertical guy & tough catches too. You are hung up on just stats, as I have told you before. Anybody can just look at stats. Did he change games? Did he make clutch plays? Was he a difference-maker? Was he among the best of his era? Etc.

I remember a certain acrobatic catch vs. Dallas that allowed PITT to win. Could that be altering your opinion?

All of those 9 are very deserving IMO, & the HOF agrees too.

And I never liked Pittsburgh either!

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM
Why are you so bent on attacking him?

Just want him to be accurate, which a lot of the time he is NOT.

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Great player, very acrobatic & graceful receiver. Vertical guy & tough catches too. You are hung up on just stats, as I have told you before. Anybody can just look at stats. Did he change games? Did he make clutch plays? Was he a difference-maker? Was he among the best of his era? Etc.

I remember a certain acrobatic catch vs. Dallas that allowed PITT to win. Could that be altering your opinion?

All of those 9 are very deserving IMO, & the HOF agrees too.

And I never liked Pittsburgh either!

If ur not a top 10 player by position in your own ERA how can you be one of the greatest of all time?

Was he a difference maker? in two play-off games..So was Alvin Harper..I guess he should be in as well

g$$
12-05-2007, 06:58 PM
Blue: Bradshaw threw a bunch of INTs, but not 1/12 passes.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interception #'s
Steve Young: 107
Troy Aikman: 141
Joe Montana: 139
Terry Bradshaw: 210
Johnny Unitas: 253
Dan Marino: 252
John Elway: 226
Brett Favre: 281

Attempts:
Steve Young: 4149
Troy Aikman: 4715
Joe Montana: 5391
Terry Bradshaw: 3091
Johnny Unitas: 5186
Dan Marino: 8358
John Elway: 7250
Brett Favre: 8607

Number of attempts divided by interceptions:
Steve Young: 1 every 38.78 attempts
Troy Aikman: 1 every 33.44 attempts
Joe Montana: 1 every 38.78 attempts
Terry Bradshaw: 1 every 12.22 attempts
Dan Marino: 1 every 33.17 attempts
John Elway: 1 every 32.08 attempts
Brett Favre: 1 every 30.63 attempts

Out of the few hall of fame QB's i have listed Terry is by far the worst when it comes to INT/Attempts ration followed by Brett favre.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good #s, but 3091/210 = 14.7 for Bradshaw. What you have to remember about Bradshaw is he struggled big-time early in career. Even got benched for a while under Noll. But later on he was money & matured, a great player on a great team full of HOF (like 9). Great team on both sides of the ball. Bradshaw*, Webster*, Harris*, Stallworth*, Swann*, Greene*, Lambert*, Ham*, Shell, Greenwood, Blount*, etc. I would put that team up against anybody from any era. 9 HOF right there, plus Coach Chuck Noll.

g$$
12-05-2007, 07:01 PM
If ur not a top 10 player by position in your own ERA how can you be one of the greatest of all time?

Was he a difference maker? in two play-off games..So was Alvin Harper..I guess he should be in as well

PLEASE tell me you just did not compare Lynn Swann to Alvin Harper! Are you old enough to have watched Swann live?

Absolutely one of all-time best. I watched him too & he could play. Far more than 2 playoff games. And he was among best of his era, split catches with Stallworth & some good TEs too (plus Franco, Rocky, etc.). Teams did not throw as much then, but when they did, he was a great one.

So who else?

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
PLEASE tell me you just did not compare Lynn Swann to Alvin Harper! Are you old enough to have watched Swann live?

Absolutely one of all-time best. I watched him too & he could play. Far more than 2 playoff games. And he was among best of his era, split catches with Stallworth & some good TEs too (plus Franco, Rocky, etc.). Teams did not throw as much then, but when they did, he was a great one.

So who else?

TWO play-off games of more than 100

Only three with 5 pass receptions or more..only 8 games with a TD..ONE only ONE multilpe TD game in the play-offs..Sorry but the amazing catch agianst Dallas is played over and over and that IMO help get him in the HOF and the fact he was on ABC as a reporter for so long

Him and Bradshaw were the main two i am talking about that IMO rode the coatails of the team into the HOF

Yes I am comparing Swann to Harper...that was what he was in that offense..and John Stallworth was the Michael Irvin

Stallworth was the better WR, Swann was the deep ball threat

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Good #s, but 3091/210 = 14.7 for Bradshaw. What you have to remember about Bradshaw is he struggled big-time early in career. Even got benched for a while under Noll. But later on he was money & matured, a great player on a great team full of HOF (like 9). Great team on both sides of the ball. Bradshaw*, Webster*, Harris*, Stallworth*, Swann*, Greene*, Lambert*, Ham*, Shell, Greenwood, Blount*, etc. I would put that team up against anybody from any era. 9 HOF right there, plus Coach Chuck Noll. Bradshaw sucked at QB.

Anyway you look at it one interception for every 14 passes is crap.

g$$
12-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Bradshaw sucked at QB.

Anyway you look at it one interception for every 14 passes is crap.

You bet genius, he "sucked" his way into 4 rings & the HOF. Nice math too. Does VY "suck" too with his INT/TD #s right now? Oh yeah, he's a winner right? Can't have it both ways.

TXB: we disagree, you can turn stats into whatever you wish if you analyze them long enough. Swann was a GREAT player, period. One of the best of his era (what would #s have been on lesser team & fewer stars?) & made game-changing plays in route to 4 rings. Listen to anyone who played or coached against him in interviews. I'm old enough to have watched him. If you think Harper compares to Swann, please call me so we can do business ASAP. Harper played his role well but was never considered great. Ask the HOF voters!

Old Tiger
12-06-2007, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by g$$
You bet genius, he "sucked" his way into 4 rings & the HOF. Nice math too. Does VY "suck" too with his INT/TD #s right now? Oh yeah, he's a winner right? Can't have it both ways.

Why do you keep bringing Vince up? Bradshaw was hidden by the talent of his team. The Steel curtain ring a bell? Defense wins championships blah blah blah.

g$$
12-06-2007, 04:06 AM
Why do you keep bringing Vince up? Bradshaw was hidden by the talent of his team. The Steel curtain ring a bell? Defense wins championships blah blah blah.

Because you can't have it both ways. You belittle TB but worship VY. TB has 4 rings & HOF. VY? Great in college, avg. pro qb.

Steel Curtain? Yeah, I was alive to watch them for years. Great defense. Watched them beat my Oilers in 2 AFC Championship Games. All you know about those guys is film clips & google searches. By your warped logic, they would "suck" today right?

Out of your element Blue.

LH Panther Mom
12-06-2007, 06:42 AM
Why do you keep bringing Vince up?
That's a good question. Is he one your "top list"? :thinking: :thinking:

Old Tiger
12-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's a good question. Is he one your "top list"? :thinking: :thinking: Well seeing as he isn't on there I don't know why his name is brought up?

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by g$$

TXB: we disagree, you can turn stats into whatever you wish if you analyze them long enough. Swann was a GREAT player, period. One of the best of his era (what would #s have been on lesser team & fewer stars?) & made game-changing plays in route to 4 rings. Listen to anyone who played or coached against him in interviews. I'm old enough to have watched him. If you think Harper compares to Swann, please call me so we can do business ASAP. Harper played his role well but was never considered great. Ask the HOF voters!

I am not really comparing Harper to swann, other than what role they played in the offense they were in

And yes players that played agianst Swann say he was great, but those same also say someone like Drew Pearson was great, You put Swann on ANY team except the Steelers, he is NOT in the HOF with the numbers he had