View Full Version : DISD official: Roosevelt players will be punished

kaorder1999
12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
DISD official: Roosevelt players will be punished

Postgame scuffle video shows football player striking opposing coach

01:51 AM CST on Wednesday, December 5, 2007

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson said Tuesday some Roosevelt football players are being punished for their actions during last Saturday's playoff game against Gilmer.

Video shows Roosevelt players charging the Gilmer sideline after Gilmer's 42-36 Class 3A Division I Region II championship win at Mesquite Memorial Stadium. One Roosevelt player was shown
"Rest assured, it's being handled internally through our student code of conduct," Johnson said. "We don't condone what went on, and it will be handled accordingly.

"We're still investigating the whole situation and want to hear all sides of the story. If more justice needs to be passed on, it'll be passed on."

Roosevelt coach Joseph Daniels and principal Myrtle Jean Dixon did not return phone messages Tuesday.

Gilmer ISD superintendent Rick Albritton said he has spoken with several DISD representatives, including superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa, trustee Lew Blackburn and spokesperson Jon Dahlander. Albritton said all parties called to express their apologies and regrets.

No major injuries were reported, and Albritton said that no legal action will be taken. The trophy presentation for the regional championship was delayed until officials on the field restored order.

"Most of the kids acted with great dignity and honor, but some kids just made some bad decisions. Kids sometimes do that," Albritton said. "This needs to be a school matter, and I'm sure the Dallas ISD will handle it as such."

The skirmish put a damper on one of the best games of the season. The teams were tied at 36 until Gilmer's Justin Johnson, who has committed to Oklahoma, scored on a 3-yard touchdown run with 3:16 left to play.

"It's a very unfortunate situation because it didn't have to end that way," Johnson said. "My regret is that they didn't get a chance to shake hands and congratulate each other. You have to be gracious in wins and gracious in losses."

Rocket Dad
12-05-2007, 11:07 AM
I saw those actions after the game Sat. night. Not good for high school sports. If the consequences fit the actions (not just a slap on the wrist) others will learn from this.

3afan
12-05-2007, 11:49 AM
sounds like DISD is handling the situation properly

of course Corn Cob will want jail time ...

charlesrixey
12-05-2007, 11:54 AM
i didn't hear anything about this

i guess g2 and tex were done broadcasting before it happened?

3afan
12-05-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75535

eagles_victory
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
sounds like DISD is handling the situation properly

of course Corn Cob will want jail time ... well number 7 did assualt someone

Txbroadcaster
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

i guess g2 and tex were done broadcasting before it happened?

No, it happened while we were on..We just said an event that does not need to be talked about is happeneing and it is an ugly end to a classic game

Technoredneck
12-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
No, it happened while we were on..We just said an event that does not need to be talked about is happeneing and it is an ugly end to a classic game

Excellent! That is how these situations need to be reported. Don't give the thugs any publicity.

Aesculus gilmus
12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I agree with how you handled it also.

zebrablue2
12-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Technoredneck
Excellent! That is how these situations need to be reported. Don't give the thugs any publicity.

AGREED.