PDA

View Full Version : Look on on yo Map and find where Marlin at......

Fotbol
12-05-2007, 09:34 AM
'WHERE IS MARLIN?' Alexander, Richardson put tiny Texas town on national ESPN map...
By Denton Ramsey, Managing Editor

PERFECT PICK: Marlin's Matterral Richardson (#9) saved the day for Arkansas with a triple overtime interception against LSU. Photo Credit: ESPN.com
Prior to the final week of the regular season in NCAA football, a majority of the nation had never heard of Marlin, Texas.

During a live Big 12 telecast between Missouri and Kansas on Saturday, Nov. 23, ABC analysts Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit and Lisa Salters, along with the rest of the country, were left to ponder, "Where is Marlin?"

Although an answer was never given, as ABC soon cut to a commercial break, there's no doubt that the media trio of Musburger, Herbstreit and Salters, as well as fans of ESPN's SportsCenter and the weekly 'Pontiac Game Changing Performance,' now know Marlin's pinpoint location.

Meanwhile, the small Central Texas town of 6,000 has been in dire need of positive news in a community flooded with negativity.

On Saturday, Nov. 23, Marlin's prayer was answered - on the gridiron - with a pair of local athletes shining in the national spotlight...

FORMER MHS STANDOUTS INTRODUCE SPORTSCENTER, PONTIAC TO MARLIN

Bulldogs Football Head Coach Jerry Malone came to Marlin, Texas 16 years ago with one goal in mind: to make ball players out of the community's high school athletes.

That goal has been met, especially as of recently - with a duo of former high school stars chasing daylight in the 'Pontiac Game Changing Performance' of the week while also making the highlight reels on ESPN's SportsCenter.

In 2003, defensive standout Matterral "Red" Richardson graduated from Marlin High School before moving on to college at the University of Arkansas as a Razorbacks cornerback.

Richardson's story is about to be told.

In 2005, wide receiver Danario Alexander walked the stage at MHS before relocating to Missouri University to play college football for the Big 12's Tigers.

Alexander's story is also about to be told.

In 2008, highly touted running back Travis Miller will receive his diploma from MHS prior to hitting the gridiron for the Oklahoma State Cowboys next year in Stillwater.

The 'Miller Time' story, meanwhile, has yet to be told...

RICHARDSON'S TRIPLE OVERTIME PICK SEALS ARKANSAS' UPSET VICTORY OVER LSU

Richardson, a senior cornerback on the Arkansas Razorbacks football team, began his standout pigskin career in 1999 as a high school freshman in Marlin.

During his senior year at MHS, Richardson made 87 tackles while garnering seven interceptions - a major factor in the Bulldogs state championship berth against Atlanta High School in 2003.

In addition to the Razorbacks, Richardson was also recruited by TCU and the Big 12's Kansas and Texas A&M University.

Through his four seasons in the Arkansas secondary, Richardson has remained a constant threat on the field of play.

In 2006, during Richardson's junior year, the star cornerback was a full-time starter for the Razorbacks and ended the season tied for seventh on the Arkansas tackle list with 63 stops, going solo on 51 of them, while picking up a forced fumble and interception along the way.

The biggest play of his college career, however, came in the regular season finale of his senior year as Arkansas went up against then-No. 1 LSU on Saturday, Nov. 23.

In the third overtime of an 'ESPN Classic,' Richardson capped an amazing Arkansas upset win over LSU when he intercepted a potential game-tying two-point conversion pass attempt to seal the deal on a 50-48 Razorbacks victory.

Richardson's play went on to clinch the 'Pontiac Game Changing Performance' for week 13 in the 2007 NCAA football season, earning a nomination for 'Pontiac Game Changing Performance of the Year' while beating out three other finalists - including one with former Bulldogs receiver Alexander and his breakout game against Kansas.

Now, with four seasons of NCAA football under his belt, Marlin's star in the secondary may be shooting for a job in the National Football League.

Only time will tell, with the 2008 NFL Draft right around the corner...

ALEXANDER'S BREAKOUT GAME PROPELS TIGERS TO VICTORY OVER JAYHAWKS

Alexander, a sophomore wide receiver on the Missouri Tigers football team, began showing signs of greatness early on in his high school playing career.

As a senior at MHS in 2005, Alexander earned honorable mention All-State and First-Team All District honors in a season that saw the receiver pull in 49 catches for 850 yards and nine touchdowns.

In addition to his standout stats on the gridiron, Alexander was also a First-Team All-District baseball player and the district champion in the long jump and triple jump in 2005 - putting up season-best jumps of 23'10" and 45'10", respectively.

Alexander chose Missouri over local colleges in Texas Tech, Baylor University, the University of Houston and SMU - mostly due to the Tigers being the first to show interest in the Marlin receiver.

During his true freshman year as a Tigers receiver, Alexander played in 13 games while picking up 15 receptions for 251 yards and a touchdown - giving the young receiver a 16.7 yards-per-catch average in 2006.

Alexander worked his tail off in the off-season, proving to the Tigers coaching staff that he possesses a compelling combination of size, speed and the athletic ability to haul in numerous catches.

His hard work and dedication, no doubt something he first learned under the leadership of Malone while at MHS, paid off as Alexander took home the Tigers' most improved wide receiver award for his efforts in spring camp.

It also landed him a starting spot at WR on the 2007 Mizzou Tigers depth-chart.

Missouri's young Marlin recruit began the year on the right foot, racking up a career-high nine catches for 82 yards in a season-opener victory over Illinois.

Unfortunately, Alexander left the game early with a wrist injury - forcing him to sit out the Tigers' next three games before returning to the team's offense as a backseat option.

The primary reason for Alexander's new role on the squad was due to redshirt freshman Jeremy Maclain developing into a phenomenal star under the national spotlight after sitting out last season with an injury.

However, Alexander remained humble - no doubt, once again, something he picked up while still learning the X's and O's of the game at MHS under Malone - and waited patiently for his moment to shine.

On Saturday, Nov. 23 at Arrowhead Stadium, that moment came as Alexander had a breakout game on the national center stage in Missouri's Big 12 North title-clinching eight-point victory over Kansas.

In Saturday's Big 12 showdown between the Tigers and Jayhawks, Alexander caught eight passes for 117 yards - including a decisive 16-yard pickup on third-and-long midway through the final quarter of play after Kansas had cut into the Missouri lead at 31-21.

Alexander also rose to the occasion in Missouri's second quarter drive that was capped off by a beautiful third down catch by the Marlin wide receiver in the corner of the end zone - giving the Tigers a comfortable cushion over the Jayhawks.

Although Alexander fell short against former teammate Richardson in the voting for week 13's 'Pontiac Game Changing Performance,' there's no doubt that the Tigers receiver is ecstatic just to be listed as a finalists in the final week of the regular season.

On top of that, Alexander's performance against Kansas reiterates what Missouri Head Coach Gary Pinkel and his coaching staff envisioned when they signed the young star as a senior out of Marlin just two short years ago.

With Alexander chasing daylight - showcasing an array of talent while constantly proving himself to fans, coaches, teammates and the nation alike - it's easy to see why the Marlin recruit is one of the most gifted athletes in his class.

And it's only a matter of time before Alexander once again flashes his greatness before the eyes and ears of sports fan around America, with the Tigers laying the tracks to use the Marlin star in a variety of ways during the remainder of his collegiate playing career.

With the way things are looking, Alexander may also find himself on an NFL gridiron in the years to come...

MILLER TIME: POTENTIAL FUTURE STAR YET TO BE UNLEASHED...

Miller, a speedy, talented, multipurpose back with incredible potential, will be donning an Oklahoma State Cowboys jersey come August 2008.

For Miller, his senior season ended with a bittersweet loss to the rival Mart Panthers as the 2007 Bulldogs failed to reach postseason play for the first time in a decade.

But there's more to Miller than a win-loss record.

Statistically, Miller can hang with the best - as Marlin's star back found himself amongst the leaders in the rushing department with 11 touchdowns and 829 yards during his 2007 campaign.

In other aspects of the game, Miller had 14 catches and a touchdown in the reception department while picking up a punt-return TD, a kickoff-return TD and an interception that was returned for a touchdown along the way.

The 'Miller Time' pages for 2008 have yet to be written.

But it's only a matter of moments before Miller gets his own chance to shine, giving the soon-to-be graduate a shot at joining the ranks of the MHS alumni standouts in his rearview mirror.

Come mid-2008, 'Miller Time' will officially arrive in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Watch out, Big 12, the Cowboys very well might have an under-the-radar future star in Marlin's latest and greatest recruit to join the NCAA ranks...

TEXAS TREND: COACH MALONE KEEPS THE BALL ROLLING IN GRIDIRON RECRUITING...

When all is said and done, Marlin's superb homegrown talent speaks magnitudes of Coach Malone.

JJ7997
12-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Its good to see Marlin being recognized in a positive light. Its actually a nice little town in a pretty part of Texas. There was never any doubt in my mind as to the talent that comes out of Marlin, they used to beat up on us all the time when I was in school.

Daddy D 11
12-05-2007, 09:56 AM
good article. its so weird how some small towns produce the talent when other dont.

and JJ7997 where did you play ball?

JJ7997
12-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
good article. its so weird how some small towns produce the talent when other dont.

and JJ7997 where did you play ball?

Gatesville. Marlin beat us every year but one since 1984. I was glad to see them leave 17-3A for the last time.

Daddy D 11
12-05-2007, 09:59 AM
haha they are pretty scrappy, im probably being invasive but its slow on here; when did you graduate?

Adidas410s
12-05-2007, 10:01 AM
I know where Marlin at...Marlin is that school playing thump thump, right? :D

big daddy russ
12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
"I think it's somewhere down by Houston."

ROFL

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

ROFL that was funny

charlesrixey
12-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
that was funny

where's houston?

DU_stud04
12-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

ROFL :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fotbol
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Marlin is Located between Haterville Texas, And Envy City boyz and gurlz!

Adidas410s
12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Fotbol

5-5 doesn't create too much envy ;)

sweetwater07
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Its good to see Marlin being recognized in a positive light. Its actually a nice little town in a pretty part of Texas.

i agree, i like the location of Marlin....

but the by far nicest town i have seen in a long time as far as location and scenary is Copperas Cove...something about the location of this town and its surroundings make it very nice to me

JR2004
12-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i agree, i like the location of Marlin....

but the by far nicest town i have seen in a long time as far as location and scenary is Copperas Cove...something about the location of this town and its surroundings make it very nice to me

Cove is a nice place to live. It's changed a bunch over the last 20 years or so. One of my good friends I went to high school with just moved there from Lampasas.

When I was a kid we didn't have a McDonald's so my parents would take my brother and I twenty miles over to Cove just to get a Happy Meal ever so often...lol.

eagles_victory
12-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Cove is a nice place to live. It's changed a bunch over the last 20 years or so. One of my good friends I went to high school with just moved there from Lampasas.

When I was a kid we didn't have a McDonald's so my parents would take my brother and I twenty miles over to Cove just to get a Happy Meal ever so often...lol. 20 miles for a happy meal was that when you were the age when you got just excited about the toy as you did the food?

sweetwater07
12-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

When I was a kid we didn't have a McDonald's so my parents would take my brother and I twenty miles over to Cove just to get a Happy Meal ever so often...lol.

haha wow....yeah i went through there about 3 weeks ago to see a friend and it looked like a great town...i was actually kind of surprised there weren;t any windmills down there like in sweetwater and roscoe...looked like there were enough mountain tops to put them on

Fotbol
12-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
5-5 doesn't create too much envy ;)
and your Point, may not be the record that causes Envy suckerchump!

JJ7997
12-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
haha they are pretty scrappy, im probably being invasive but its slow on here; when did you graduate?

In '97.

Matthew328
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Marlin is in a pretty part of the state...I'm still partial to the Hill Country

trojan37
12-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Didn't Marlin also turn out a highly recruited quarterback a couple of years ago( can't remember his name) who was accused of robbery, threw away a free ride to college and ended up doing nothing? I think so!

JJ7997
12-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Didn't Marlin also turn out a highly recruited quarterback a couple of years ago( can't remember his name) who was accused of robbery, threw away a free ride to college and ended up doing nothing? I think so!

Alot of recruits throw it all away every year, we only hear about a select few. This kind of thing is in no way limited to players from a single town.

formermbcouns
12-05-2007, 10:32 PM

I'm not quite sure what your point is? Do you have one?

Ranger Mom
12-05-2007, 10:47 PM
I knew where Marlin was before this post!!!!!

The year I joined this board and found out there were other teams outside of Region I, I got my DCTF out and looked up every 3-A team on the map!!

Old Tiger
12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I knew where Marlin was before this post!!!!!

The year I joined this board and found out there were other teams outside of Region I, I got my DCTF out and looked up every 3-A team on the map!! lol. where is rockdale? :D

Ranger Mom
12-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
lol. where is rockdale? :D

I know where Rockdale is too!!:tongue: :tongue:

IHStangFan
12-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by JJ7997
Its good to see Marlin being recognized in a positive light. Its actually a nice little town in a pretty part of Texas. There was never any doubt in my mind as to the talent that comes out of Marlin, they used to beat up on us all the time when I was in school. Yeah...seems like I've always heard their name though the years.....I used to have family that lived in Buffalo...and they were HORRIBLE...cept for in bball every now and then. 95 boys....02? girls.

Matthew328
12-05-2007, 11:04 PM

At least Marlin has had that kind of talent, sounds like someone has an axe to grind...

IHStangFan
12-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Didn't Marlin also turn out a highly recruited quarterback a couple of years ago( can't remember his name) who was accused of robbery, threw away a free ride to college and ended up doing nothing? I think so! and Brown and the Horns weren't all over this guy??!! :D

Fotbol
12-06-2007, 08:45 AM
Jeremy Sanders will Play in Mt. Pleasant on the 8 of Dec, he plays for Navarro College, and every Big Twelve College, including Florida State Florida Alabama, and a host of others is after this kid, do your research before you run you mouth suckerchump!

Fotbol
12-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Jeremy Sanders will Play in Mt. Pleasant on the 8 of Dec, he plays for Navarro College, and every Big Twelve College, including Florida State Florida Alabama, and a host of others is after this kid, do your research before you run you mouth suckerchump!

Quarterback Jeremy Sanders, who has been hobbled much of the year with ankle and knee injuries, has already received an offer from Missouri. Baylor, Utah State and Baylor has received offers from Florida, Miami, Arizona and Florida State. Texas has

Fotbol
12-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Quarterback Jeremy Sanders, who has been hobbled much of the year with ankle and knee injuries, has already received an offer from Missouri. Baylor, Utah State and has received offers from Florida, Miami, Arizona and Florida State. Texas has

trojan37
12-06-2007, 09:56 AM
Easy fella's, I'm not trying to tick anybody off here! I'm just saying how after Marlin was put in the national spot light about there two players, it was also all over the news about Jeremy Sanders and what he did. I'm not taking anything away from the guy because he is a very talented and a highly recruited athlete, just that Marlin received a lot of attention after this because he was such a highly touted player. And you're right it does happen all the time, and it even happens in my town but you never hear about it because we suck!

trojan37
12-06-2007, 10:05 AM

Back in 84, when only two teams went to the playoffs, little known West beat Marlin in their own house to knock them out of the playoffs and put us in. And why is everybody on here a suckerchump to you?

Fotbol
12-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Back in 84, when only two teams went to the playoffs, little known West beat Marlin in their own house to knock them out of the playoffs and put us in. And why is everybody on here a suckerchump to you?
In 1984 I went back to Aldine MacArthur, wasn't in Marlin until Oct 86, so your point!

trojan37
12-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Just referring to all the hype about MARLIN, since that is what this thread is about. Nothing more than they can be beat just like any other team, even by a nobody like West. 5-5, sittin at home, hoping for a good basketball season, maybe going to watch LV this weekend is probably what they are gonna do!

Stownhorse
12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
When all is said and done, Marlin's superb homegrown talent speaks magnitudes of Coach Malone.

Yea but what about this past season? hardy hardy har :D

Fotbol
12-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Just referring to all the hype about MARLIN, since that is what this thread is about. Nothing more than they can be beat just like any other team, even by a nobody like West. 5-5, sittin at home, hoping for a good basketball season, maybe going to watch LV this weekend is probably what they are gonna do!
Compare West and Marlin Record for the past 23 years, and see who has made the playoff runs, and who had the runs!

Old Tiger
12-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Jeremy was good. Only guy I have ever seen jog the corner then turn it on on the straight away and still run a 21 in the 200.

IMO Cameron had a better talent in Derek Evans.

trojan37
12-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Compare West and Marlin Record for the past 23 years, and see who has made the playoff runs, and who had the runs!

Hey, we've had good football teams here, but I will admit not as good as Marlin. Our kids seem to focus on baseball instead.

Adidas410s
12-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Quarterback Jeremy Sanders, who has been hobbled much of the year with ankle and knee injuries, has already received an offer from Missouri. Baylor, Utah State and Baylor has received offers from Florida, Miami, Arizona and Florida State. Texas has

Do they teach proper English in Marlin??? :thinking:

trojan37
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Do they teach proper English in Marlin??? :thinking:

That was funny. Real funny. Sittin here LMAO!

TxAthlete
12-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Honestly they don't, but I am getting really tired of reading two know-it-alls bad mouth Marlin. I don't see the point in the negativity. Sanders ALMOST threw away everything he's ever worked for. Wow, Marlin has had a bad year. It's amazing how many people are taking this rare opportunity to talk trash....even when they haven't played. Glad to see the respect from ya guys. :thumbsup:

trojan37
12-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by TxAthlete
Honestly they don't, but I am getting really tired of reading two know-it-alls bad mouth Marlin. I don't see the point in the negativity. Sanders ALMOST threw away everything he's ever worked for. Wow, Marlin has had a bad year. It's amazing how many people are taking this rare opportunity to talk trash....even when they haven't played. Glad to see the respect from ya guys. :thumbsup:

Haven't played? What are you talkin about? How do you know if someone on here has played or not. Second of all, as I had previously stated, I am not bad mouthing Jeremy Sanders. I said earlier that he is exactly what he is, and that is one heck of an athlete, just that MARLIN has been recognized for other things. Just stating facts. And third, if you're tired of reading all of this, then why do you keep reading it? There are plenty of people on here who talk trash. So CHECK YO MAP when you start talkin trash about people that ain't never played!

TxAthlete
12-06-2007, 11:54 PM
Haven't played? What are you talkin about? How do you know if someone on here has played or not. Second of all, as I had previously stated, I am not bad mouthing Jeremy Sanders. I said earlier that he is exactly what he is, and that is one heck of an athlete, just that MARLIN has been recognized for other things. Just stating facts. And third, if you're tired of reading all of this, then why do you keep reading it? There are plenty of people on here who talk trash. So CHECK YO MAP when you start talkin trash about people that ain't never played!

I was talking about the teams playing this year there buddy, so go take a chill pill...
I really don't care if you bad mouth Jeremy Sanders, he actually needed (needs) it a little bit. I was talking about bad mouthing Marlin. The comment comes from the simple fact that there was no trash thrown, spoken, dished, or eaten until everyone realized Marlin was on a down year. I don't really remember West having an "up" year any time in recent history in comparison. At least in football that is...

trojan37
12-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by TxAthlete
I was talking about the teams playing this year there buddy, so go take a chill pill...
I really don't care if you bad mouth Jeremy Sanders, he actually needed (needs) it a little bit. I was talking about bad mouthing Marlin. The comment comes from the simple fact that there was no trash thrown, spoken, dished, or eaten until everyone realized Marlin was on a down year. I don't really remember West having an "up" year any time in recent history in comparison. At least in football that is...

Playoffs in football the last 4 years in a row. So what if we've lost in the first round every year until this year, we have still gone somewhere some teams will never go. I will admit we are in a weak district, but it's still the playoffs.