PDA

View Full Version : Pray for Dax

eagles_victory
12-04-2007, 11:40 PM
Dax is the son of one of the founders of centexfootball.com

Here is his story from Dustin Hicks Centex founder

We have been on a roller coaster ride since thursday night. It seemed like Dax has neck trauma at first because he fell off our 6 inch tall ottoman onto his neck. He seemed fine afterwards except for being a little stunned. He was really upset crying but good enough to walk out some friends from church we had over to watch the cowboys play that night. He was and has always been alert and said bye to our friends. We went into our bedroom and began to brush his teeth. After I got done with that he grabbed the toothbrush with his hands and brushed his teeth himself for a little while. He was actually using his hands this whole time and drinking from his cup b4 he became very fussy and seemed like he wanted to go to sleep. I rocked him and he fell asleep for about 45 mins. He then woke up screaming and when Heather picked him up, he was as limp as a rag doll. We then took him to Providence ER. They admitted him right away, took him back. After the DR saw him he rushed him into the trauma room and began preperations to stabilize his whole body and called the care flight crew to come get him and send him to Scott and White here in Temple.

It was our worst nightmare. A living hell. Dax got admitted into the pedi-icu quickly where they did the first MRI. The MRI showed swelling in the neck, spine, and brain. By that time Dax lost all feeling from his neck down and Dr's said he was paralyzed and saw no need for surgery. You can imagine the gallons of tears Heather and I shed from there untill a neurosergeon we had not even met got wind of Daxs condition. This Dr was flown in to do a complicated surgery here in the hospital. He confirmed that Dax is paralyzed, and there is nothing he coule do to help, but he knew one of the best pedi-neurosurgeon's would be in Temple for a seminar that day. He said he would get that Dr to look at the MRI and see what he thought.

That pedi-neurosurgeon's name is Dr Ibrahim Nihum. He is a world famous surgeon. He is one of only a handful in the entire country, and by God's grace ONLY, he was here. He ordered another more in depth MRI. As they were wheelind Dax out of the MRI, he was already there reading the results. Not more than 10 mins later he came to Heather and I and said "you son has this pre exsisting condition called chairo syndrome and is paralyed from neck down. The ONLY chance he has is for me to do surgery.".

Next thing you know, we are rolling him into surgery. They surgery went perfect, and as they were stitching his skull up, he was kicking his legs forcefully.

By God's grace and prayers from the thousands of people who know his story he got his legs back as far as we know. He still has no movement in his arms, and only time will tell how that will turn out.

He got off the breathing machine and is breathing on his own. He asleep most of the time, but when we wakes up, he talks really well.

That's where we're at right now. Prayer does work. I've always been told that, and now by seeing it in action I have proof. Having one of the worlds best surgeons here at the same time my baby needed him proves it.

Keep up the prayers, we have a long way to go. I cannot tell you enough or show u guys enough how much they have helped. They saved my baby boys life.

Please take time to pray for Dax. This has to be hard for Dustin and his family to deal with.

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Dax is the son of one of the founders of centexfootball.com

Here is his story from Dustin Hicks Centex founder

We have been on a roller coaster ride since thursday night. It seemed like Dax has neck trauma at first because he fell off our 6 inch tall ottoman onto his neck. He seemed fine afterwards except for being a little stunned. He was really upset crying but good enough to walk out some friends from church we had over to watch the cowboys play that night. He was and has always been alert and said bye to our friends. We went into our bedroom and began to brush his teeth. After I got done with that he grabbed the toothbrush with his hands and brushed his teeth himself for a little while. He was actually using his hands this whole time and drinking from his cup b4 he became very fussy and seemed like he wanted to go to sleep. I rocked him and he fell asleep for about 45 mins. He then woke up screaming and when Heather picked him up, he was as limp as a rag doll. We then took him to Providence ER. They admitted him right away, took him back. After the DR saw him he rushed him into the trauma room and began preperations to stabilize his whole body and called the care flight crew to come get him and send him to Scott and White here in Temple.

It was our worst nightmare. A living hell. Dax got admitted into the pedi-icu quickly where they did the first MRI. The MRI showed swelling in the neck, spine, and brain. By that time Dax lost all feeling from his neck down and Dr's said he was paralyzed and saw no need for surgery. You can imagine the gallons of tears Heather and I shed from there untill a neurosergeon we had not even met got wind of Daxs condition. This Dr was flown in to do a complicated surgery here in the hospital. He confirmed that Dax is paralyzed, and there is nothing he coule do to help, but he knew one of the best pedi-neurosurgeon's would be in Temple for a seminar that day. He said he would get that Dr to look at the MRI and see what he thought.

That pedi-neurosurgeon's name is Dr Ibrahim Nihum. He is a world famous surgeon. He is one of only a handful in the entire country, and by God's grace ONLY, he was here. He ordered another more in depth MRI. As they were wheelind Dax out of the MRI, he was already there reading the results. Not more than 10 mins later he came to Heather and I and said "you son has this pre exsisting condition called chairo syndrome and is paralyed from neck down. The ONLY chance he has is for me to do surgery.".

Next thing you know, we are rolling him into surgery. They surgery went perfect, and as they were stitching his skull up, he was kicking his legs forcefully.

By God's grace and prayers from the thousands of people who know his story he got his legs back as far as we know. He still has no movement in his arms, and only time will tell how that will turn out.

He got off the breathing machine and is breathing on his own. He asleep most of the time, but when we wakes up, he talks really well.

That's where we're at right now. Prayer does work. I've always been told that, and now by seeing it in action I have proof. Having one of the worlds best surgeons here at the same time my baby needed him proves it.

Keep up the prayers, we have a long way to go. I cannot tell you enough or show u guys enough how much they have helped. They saved my baby boys life.

Please take time to pray for Dax. This has to be hard for Dustin and his family to deal with.

My prayers are with Dax and his family. That must be a horrible thing for any parent to go through. How old is he?

big daddy russ
12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Definitely. This may be a tragedy for the family, but I know I was relieved to hear that he's in stable condition and will live out his life, even if he never recovers and is paralyzed for life.

But I know that the Big Guy's capable of giving him back the use of his body, and I'll definitely pray for that.

Send our well-wishes to the family and keep us updated.

Bull19
12-04-2007, 11:59 PM
prayers are sent. i cant imagine having to go through something like that

pirate4state
12-05-2007, 12:00 AM
:(

How awful. Will keep him & his family in my prayers. Please keep us posted on his recovery process.

eagles_victory
12-05-2007, 12:03 AM
There will be a thing set up from some other posters on centex to sign that will be sent to Dax to wish him well. So if you are at the game please consider stopping by ill let you know where it will be.

I believe he was 1 year old but im not completly sure about that

injuredinmelee
12-05-2007, 12:20 AM
may God continue to bless you and your family in this time of need. Dax sounds like he has a great strong set of parents and I will pray that God gives you and Heather the strength to remain strong for your little man. I know how hard it can be so dont ever be too proud to ask for help for yourself. Be the pillar for your son and family but trust me man there are others who are willing to listen when you get to one of those moments where you have to stop being the pillar if even for a few minutes.

eagles_victory
12-05-2007, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
may God continue to bless you and your family in this time of need. Dax sounds like he has a great strong set of parents and I will pray that God gives you and Heather the strength to remain strong for your little man. I know how hard it can be so dont ever be too proud to ask for help for yourself. Be the pillar for your son and family but trust me man there are others who are willing to listen when you get to one of those moments where you have to stop being the pillar if even for a few minutes. Injured those are great words I just wanted to clear up that this is not my son or family this is Dustin Hicks from Centexfootball.com and these are his words im just trying to get is many people to pray for Dax as possible in his time of need. But those arevery kind words in which im sure the family would greatly appreciate.

alaskacat
12-05-2007, 03:54 AM
God sometimes works in strange ways, it may have taken this little bit of misfortune to repair something that may have killed him at any other time, but god arranged for the right people to be there in a time of need.

May he get well and have a full life.

May Dax and his family get through this and come roaring back better than ever.

bobcat1
12-05-2007, 05:44 AM
Prayers headed that way for Dax and his parents. We ask God to continue to heal Dax through the hands of the doctors.

zebrablue2
12-05-2007, 07:40 AM
prayers sent..

rangerjim
12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
had something similar but not as bad 5 years ago. Daughter thrown from horse and broke her back - miracle she wasn't paralyzed. Ended up at Parkland where surgery was needed. By God's grace it was the one weekend a month doctor's in training from Scottish Rite visit Parkland. They specialize in Scoliosis and back injuries. They immediately transferred her to Scottish Rite where they performed the surgery and 5 years later (now 17) she's doing great. Will always have rods in her back and pray she doesn't have issues later in life. Oh yea - and Scottish Rite doesn't charge for their services. Told my daughter she has years and years of volunteering to do to "pay this back".

Firmly believer that everything works out the way it's supposed to. Sometimes it's really hard for us to figure out that something bad can be for the best in the long run.

Prayers for Dax and his mom and dad from Decatur

txkmom
12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Thoughts and many, many prayers from NE Texas ...

eagles_victory
12-06-2007, 02:29 PM
This is another update that Dustin posted about Daxtons condition last night. Keep Dustin Dax and the whole family in your prayers as he continues to fight this uphill battle.

Today was full of high's and lows. Dax's breathing is still not where they want it to be or the swelling in his upper spine. They changed some of his meds so time will tell.

On another note, Dax was pretty calm all day today. He watched TV, and seemed as comfortable as one can be in his situation. Please pray that the new treatments help his breathing and that he stays comfortable and calm.

The night ended on a HIGH note, he moved both his upper shoulders about 10 times. Sometimes with stimulus, sometimes with none. Hopefully that means his upper body is regaining it's feeling and that would lead to better strength which would lead to him better breathing.

The only answer to all these great things happening is that God is answering our prayers. Please keep them up. Find times in your day to talk to God about your needs and ours.