PDA

View Full Version : The Ol' Maryland "I"

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Why don't more teams run this from time to time? It would be a great way to catch opposing defenses off guard. I like running traps out of this formation...almost impossible to stop when used in the right situation and executed perfectly.

Pmoney
12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
i agree the Maryland "I" is a very productive formation if used correctly

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
i agree the Maryland "I" is a very productive formation if used correctly

I don't think it'd be much of a base offense, but definitely something that could be thrown in here and there.

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by TexanFan4Life
Why don't more teams run this from time to time? It would be a great way to catch opposing defenses off guard. I like running traps out of this formation...almost impossible to stop when used in the right situation and executed perfectly.

Giddings put it in the Second Half of the season...

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
Giddings put it in the Second Half of the season...

How'd they do with it? I know they won their games, but did it work consistently?

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
How'd they do with it? I know they won their games, but did it work consistently?

we put a wingback as the sniffer in front of Jenke the full back and usually ran a QB/FB Option out of it...

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:35 PM
we put a wingback as the sniffer in front of Jenke the full back and usually ran a QB/FB Option out of it...

Giddings ran an option? NO WAY!! lol

Did you still use Taylor as the deepback?

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Giddings ran an option? NO WAY!! lol

Did you still use Taylor as the deepback?

yea it wasn't a triple option though, it was a give read for the FB with the Nosetackle and then brock basically followed right behind him in a hole between the guard and tackle...

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:38 PM
yea it wasn't a triple option though, it was a give read for the FB with the Nosetackle and then brock basically followed right behind him in a hole between the guard and tackle...

So far you've only accounted for the WB and Jenke. The Maryland "I" has 3 backs stacked behind the QB.

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:44 PM
So far you've only accounted for the WB and Jenke. The Maryland "I" has 3 backs stacked behind the QB.

i though it did my bad it goes like so

WR X X X X X WR
FITZ
WB
JENKE

TAYLOR

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:44 PM
my illustration didn't work...

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:45 PM
i though it did my bad it goes like so

WR X X X X X WR
FITZ
WB
JENKE

TAYLOR

Oh okay I got ya. It sounded to me like you were describing a QB/FB Option out of the Wish Bone.

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Oh okay I got ya. It sounded to me like you were describing a QB/FB Option out of the Wish Bone.

thats the basic idea only we ran it out of the Maryland I...sometimes Dock would be the back in front of Jenke

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:49 PM
thats the basic idea only we ran it out of the Maryland I...sometimes Dock would be the back in front of Jenke

They should've used Duncan as the WB. Talk about clearing a path for the runner.

buff4life
12-04-2007, 11:50 PM
They should've used Duncan as the WB. Talk about clearing a path for the runner.
Duncan couldn't have hit in the space in between Fitz and Jenke

TexanFan4Life
12-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Duncan couldn't have hit in the space in between Fitz and Jenke

It was that open, huh? haha

EDIT: I misread your reply.

But, you wouldn't have to stack Fitz and Jenke so close like you're describing.